• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Confirmed to be the Final Main 3DS Games for Pokémon

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    idk if anyone was really doubting this. Anyways, I'm excited for pokemon on switch! I just hope that the number of people who don't have a switch is gonna make the series take a massive hit next gen...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Like I commented on an TyranitarTube video Just because Ultra Sun and Moon are the last 3DS pokemon games it doesn't mean the next gen/ Remake will be on the Switch..

Uh, they already announced back at this year's E3 that they were making a 'core' (aka main series) game for the Switch due sometime next year or later...

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • This confirms gen 8 (technically remakes are in the current generation- HGSS was gen 4, not 2). And I think DPP remakes are coming for sure now:

-Nintendo wants to attract as many people to the switch, and a new, but very familiar game would hopefully attract some people.

-DPP remakes seem to be high in demand

-DPP remakes would allow Gamefreak to test out Pokemon on the switch before starting a whole new region

However, to counter these points, new main series games always come before remakes within generations. Meaning we may not see DPP remakes for a while.

Wormow

Worminister
    Years
  • lol I came back from a 7 year break from this site just to make this one post

However, the thing about third games being developed for an older console when a newer one is out is not new - Pokemon BW2 literally saw the same thing with people complaining about it still being on DS when it was meant to be on 3DS, much like how people are complaining about why USUM are still on 3DS, yet Pokemon Stars was a trademark that fuelled rumours for the third game being on the Switch.

The Pokemon Stars rumor didn't stem from a trademark, it was from a stupid/dumb rumor from a news site.

Well, so much for supporting the 3DS beyond 2018. Thanks for lying again, Nintendo!

Nintendo =/= Gamefreak? lol

I figured that USUM were to be the last and no doubt be the last gen 7 games too. It seems we are getting only four games per gen for now on. Gen 5, 6 and now 7 has only four main series games. I still feel that the Switch is likely to not work out. Pokemon main series games on tv is something i can't take seriously and i don't think i will ever like that.

um....

We were "only" getting four games per generation now? You're acting as if that's very little to what has been in the past?

Generation 1 had four games, generation 2 had three games, generation 3 and 4 had five games (only due to remakes), generation 5, 6 and 7 had four games. It's the same amount as the first generation, and even less than the second generation. The other generations only had ONE extra game due to remakes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • lol I came back from a 7 year break from this site just to make this one post

The Pokemon Stars rumor didn't stem from a trademark, it was from a stupid/dumb rumor from a news site.

Nintendo =/= Gamefreak? lol

um....

We were "only" getting four games per generation now? You're acting as if that's very little to what has been in the past?

Generation 1 had four games, generation 2 had three games, generation 3 and 4 had five games (only due to remakes), generation 5, 6 and 7 had four games. It's the same amount as the first generation, and even less than the second generation. The other generations only had ONE extra game due to remakes.

Gen VI had remakes too.

So discounting remakes that would be...
    4 (JP)/ 3 (Int), 3, 3, 3, 4, 2, 4
    So an average of 3.285... games per generation for Japan. 3.142... for International audiences. So yeah, getting four games this gen isn't bad ^^.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017

Gen 1 had three games in english while japan has 4 games. I do not count Green since it is japan exclusive. So that is three games in my opinion.

Gen 1 & 2 had three games
    Gen 3 & 4 had five games
    Gen 5, 6 & 7 has four games.

Again, i don't count Green due to being Japan exclusive. I only count international exclusive games. As long as they don't do 2 games per gen then i am fine with it.

Four games is a good amount.

Last edited:

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Perfect timing! I just bought a Switch yesterday, so I'm ready for Pokemon on Switch. But they'd better have Pokemon Bank or something so I can trade between my versions!

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    For those talking about affording the Switch, I'd just like to remind you that price drops are always likely. By the time Poké-Switch comes out I wouldn't be surprised if they at least shaved $20 off the Switch.

Pretty much my only comment on this news, since we pretty much knew this since E3.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I do hope by the time switch pokemon game comes out we have cheaper version of switch... kinda like 2DS... when X and Y came out Nintendo announced 2DS relatively close... hopefully we have "2DS" version of switch

Years
  • I am not surprised the 3DS era is finally dead, because a hybrid console effectively kills off the need for handhelds of which the 3DS was the last survivor. It'll take me a very long time to get a Switch so this will easily be my last Pokemon game for a notable while.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    This doesn't mean I will be getting rid of my 3ds's, I do all my shiny hunting in gen 6 so the consoles will be here to stay.
    I did that before, I traded in my Xbox for the 360 with hopes that my favorite games would eventually be able to be used on it, they never did.... To be honest I wish I would have kept the Xbox.

They really peaked with the 3ds. Literally the item that got me back into Pokemon.

This reminds me of when they switched to the DS, I stopped playing Pokemon for like 10 years and skipped gens 4 and 5.. It wasn't only the DS, it was also the voice actors being changed and Gen 3 being kind of lackluster. But I never did buy a DS.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I highly doubt we are getting a pokemon game in 2018... we will probably have a gap year and switch pokemon game will come out in late 2019... plenty of time for you guys to save money.

Sul_Silver

Please don't hit yourself in confusion... %@#$!!!
    Years
  • Even though it is unlikely, has ANYONE thinked about that they might be talking about the old 3ds's and not about the "New" 3ds's?

Sul_Silver

Please don't hit yourself in confusion... %@#$!!!
    Years
  • but why would they

I'm not sure myself and I guess it is because i bought a 'New 2ds xl' recently and it just fells like i wasted my money now. ;-;

And in a more realistic view, it can be quite hard to implement features similar to Pokemon Refresh on the switch.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • well this is upsetting. guess this will be my last pokemon game for quite a while as i'm always fucking broke and wont be able to get a switch for a long while. welp time for death

Back