• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen poke ride!

Years
  • so in gen 7, instead of HMs, you actually get specific pokemon to ride that can accomplish specific tasks that were once utilised for HMs. Tauros for Rock Smash, Machamp for Strength, Charizard for Fly, and so on!

what are your thoughts on this feature? :o would you prefer if something like this made a return in future games?

Years
  • I love it. Please keep something similar around forever so I don't have to use HMs. I often used Tauros for hatching eggs and Stoutland for general exploration, since its default speed was pretty fast (but not too fast like Tauros). <3 Ride Pokémon!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    One of the best non-battle features ever added. I know many people complain about Gen 7's non-skippable cutscenes, but personally I find HMs 10 times more annoying than cutscenes, so I loved Poké Ride.

My only gripe is their pick for the Flying ride. Seriously, ease off the fan service GF, Pidgeot or any of the common early game birds would have been more representative of the Flying type than Charizard.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like it in some aspects but don't like it in others. It's nice to not have to sacrifice a move slot for a field move as it leaves more options for better attacks. It also took away the insane amount of HMs that the series accumulated over the generations.

But I'm also bummed out of the fact that the party wasn't useful outside of battle anymore. As bad as HMs were, especially in later generations, at least they gave you that feeling of your party helping you with your explorations, as well.

Years
  • I quite liked it and wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    I would've preferred them using only new/gen7 Pokemon for it though, rather than mons from previous gens.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I quite liked it and wouldn't mind seeing it again.
    I would've preferred them using only new/gen7 Pokemon for it though, rather than mons from previous gens.
    I think older gen mons are fine. There's actually a total of 7 different Poke Rides. That would have been an opportunity to make a Ride using one Pokemon of every generation; instead of, you know, over half of them being Kanto Pokemon...

Years
  • This was one of the best new features introduced to a modern Pokémon game and I absolutely hope we see more of it. What I think would have been especially cool is if the ride Pokémon changed depending on area though. Lapras for Surf is cool, but what about water types native to that area and etc? Would've been cool if they shifted depending on where you were. It's a lot of work for something very minor though so I'm not surprised they didn't do it. But it would have been really cool to discover Pokémon available in certain parts of the region through that. <3

Years
  • Good idea but kinda useless in gen 7 imo. Poke ride has basically come back with PLA and despite I haven't experienced it yet, from videos I watched I can see how much it can be used to explore the region. In gen 7 it wasn't at all a way to explore the region, but just an easy fix to HMs. Ik many people disagree but I don't find HMs this bad, it just depends on how the game is. For example, HMs in Swo/Shi would be awful. HMs in gen 4 are actually amazing and needed imo. That said, considering how pokemon games are evolving (ahah very good joke -_-) I wouldn't want a return of HMs because exploring could be harder in different ways. PLA could be an example. I guess. And using poke ride to explore is an amazing thing. I think the first smart poke ride was in Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs (amazing how the title differs from the Italian version lol). It was a good game where u could call a pokemon to ride by drawing a special sign (i did so many times, I still remember those signs lol). Each pokemon had a peculiarity, but u could call them at any moment and u could also explore much while on these pokemon. But this was back in gen 4, way before gen 7 and imo that kind of poke ride was smarter that the gen 7 one, where it feels like a replacement to HMs. Imo, at least conceptually, PLA is the true descendant of Guardian Signs poke ride.

Years
  • It was absolutely great that HMs were finally removed as a requirement for progressing through the game, and in very unique ways too.

With this said, some of them felt a bit redundant. Tauros, Stoutland, Mudsdale, specifically, could've been consolidated into one 'mon.
    Taurus replaced the Bike (and Rock Smash), Stoutland replaced Itemfinder, and Mudsdale allowed you to traverse areas with rough terrain (a new kind of HM necessity, if you think about it). But having three quadruped 'mon felt a bit extraneous to me; Itemfinder could've been kept as a key item (triggerable when riding atop a Pokémon), and they could've just made Mudsdale a bit quicker on its feet.

But, it's creative and much better overall than locking areas behind permanent moves!

Back