• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Nice so your remaking Amethyst into scratch great!
    160x160 is gonna be a bigger sprite then normal, twice is big as d/p sprites. If I'm correct..
    I could defenitly be a helping hand in that part.
    But I have to say, that making it public will have its negative sides.
    Many beginning spriters are gonna think they can be part of it, and they can but only if there sprite is good enough.
    Atleast I hope your not gonna accept every sprite..
    Also making a topic for uses like this is really handy, I think I've asked it before to make a alot of sprites for hacker/gamemakers to use.
    Never had an answer though...
    Your sprites great no flaws at all to be honest.
    Im just thinking that all those big sprites, doesn't it gonna need some more colours then the official sprites?

I'm not much of a tile-artist and can't really give you constructive critism on it, because I lack knowledge about it...

Anyway Avdt's sprite is good, as I said.
    And if it was for a contest it explains alot.
    But even that doesn't mean the parts of all legendarys cant be used without crowding the sprite.
    It takes a good image in your head, to make a good fusion...

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I will accept every decent sprite. Besides, the point of a community project is to help each other improve; a more experienced spriter could fix up a worse sprite, and help its spriter to improve. I won't call the project finished until the sprites of all 493 Pokémon are perfect, though :P
    I don't think bigger sprites need more colours. Pokémon don't tend to be colourful enough to need more than 16 colours; using more colours would just complicate things, and make the sprites unusable by hackers.

I'll probably make a thread for it tomorrow; we should try and get spriters from other forums to help too, so we'll need to organize everything somehow.

Years
  • c spriting is a good place to recruit good pokemon spriters.
    they dont like me there but you could ask for an helping hand...
    and true 16 colours is enough, didnt even know a sprite had 16 colours hehe ^^

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Here are a few of my reposes, i hope you like em all:
    39872734.png

gktjgy.png

jcgvjhujh.png

vfgdht.png

I know ninetales paws are too big...

Years
  • I find that espeon repose nice, but the legs look to close together, if you know what I mean, no shading problems.
    The pichu's could have used some work on anotomy abit.
    The ears could have been abit more smooter, its almost a straight line.

I like ninetails, very nice shading posed very nice.
    I wouldn't even mind the paws, it looks great at that size.
    Only the left front paw looks abit strange to me,.

Overall very nice ^^

Years
  • I'm planning on restarting Pokémon Amethyst from scratch, and have decided to use a larger screen resolution. There's no point in limiting yourself to DS resolution if you're not actually making a DS game.
    Anyway, this means I'm also going to need all the Pokémon resprited to a higher resolution (in this case, 160x160). Obviously, I'm not going to attempt doing this by myself; it would take years :P
    So I thought, why not make this a public resource to which anyone can contribute, and anyone can use? It would be selfish of me to keep such a project for my own use; besides, if it's public, people are more likely to help out :)

Here are some examples of what I mean (I made these in about an hour each yesterday):
    Red.png
    Gligar.png

Red is there for size comparison; I hate it that the official sprites are often not to scale (e.g. Pikachu in 3rd gen). This Gligar sprite is to scale; have a look at its dex entry (it's surprisingly big). Having the sprites to scale will also make the job a bit easier, since for smaller Pokémon like the aforementioned Pikachu, you wouldn't have to make it much bigger than the D/P sprite. I'm probably not going to use Red's sprite in-game.
    Both sprites use 16 colours; Red's are taken from his official artwork, while Gligar's are from its HG/SS sprite. I used 4th gen shading on the Gligar.
    I didn't do the backsprite, but I think it would suffice to resize and clean up the Platinum backsprites, which is pretty easy.
    I was originally planning to do multiple frames - a 4-frame idle animation, as well as attacking and hurt frames. However, I've decided against that for now, as it would drastically increase the time it would take to complete this, and 99% of people wouldn't have a use for those anyway.
    A new sprite resource would be useful for everyone. Existing spriters would have a larger pool of sprites to use for fusions, and would be able to make more detailed sprites. Wi-fi traders would have a different set of sprites to use for their trade threads. ROM hackers would have better sprites to use for their title screens. And game developers would be able to increase their resolution without pixelating everything. Finally, anyone contributing can use this as a chance to improve their sprinting skills and get feedback.

So, do any scratch/pixel-over spriters want to help out? I'm going to post this on other forums too, to try and get a largeish group of volunteers. If we can get around 10-20 people, we should be able to get at least one, probably 2 or 3, sprites done per day between them (if each person makes a sprite per week, which isn't overoptimistic given that a sprite will take an hour or two to complete). This means the whole Pokédex could be complete within a few months. With more people, it could get done faster.

If enough people are interested, I'll make a new thread in the Pixel Projects forum, and start organizing everything.

Gogo C+P from Smogon :P

Also, some tiles I've been working on. 32x32 tile size, rather than the traditional 16x16. Not for public use; these are for Amethyst only.

grass.png

Ordinary grassy ground tiles. Revamps (sort of) of my current tiles.

longgrass.png

WIP of tall grass. I still need to shade and fix up the bottom and right parts. It's inspired by HG/SS, and currently has a palette from those games; I'm going to change this eventually ;)

Any comments?

I was actually thinking of doing something like this a few months back; though, not with any practical purpose in mind, just a general resource. I think this would be a good idea, if the standards are high enough. And it's not 100% scratch, so it might not be too intimidating for inexperienced spriters.

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2018
    Brendan 4th Gen

Here's some Brendan pixel work, updated to 4th Gen. Its currently his front sprite and mugshot. Click the attachment, since i have no other way of putting it currently.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Felt like doing a Halloween-ish pixel animation all of the sudden. You like?

demonkitty.gif

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
  • Felt like doing a Halloween-ish pixel animation all of the sudden. You like?

demonkitty.gif

It's very good, nothing bad to say about it.

Here is another fakemon I did:

It doesn't have a name but it's Psychic/ Dragon.

Pokedex entry:
    "???? swoops the skies above [insert region name here] protecting both Pokemon and human-kind below. It's staff controls its Psychic powers and serves as a weapon. It doesn't need to see."

PsychicDragonlegendary.png

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I'm planning on restarting Pokémon Amethyst from scratch, and have decided to use a larger screen resolution. There's no point in limiting yourself to DS resolution if you're not actually making a DS game.
    Anyway, this means I'm also going to need all the Pokémon resprited to a higher resolution (in this case, 160x160). Obviously, I'm not going to attempt doing this by myself; it would take years :P
    So I thought, why not make this a public resource to which anyone can contribute, and anyone can use? It would be selfish of me to keep such a project for my own use; besides, if it's public, people are more likely to help out :)

Here are some examples of what I mean (I made these in about an hour each yesterday):
    Red.png
    Gligar.png

Red is there for size comparison; I hate it that the official sprites are often not to scale (e.g. Pikachu in 3rd gen). This Gligar sprite is to scale; have a look at its dex entry (it's surprisingly big). Having the sprites to scale will also make the job a bit easier, since for smaller Pokémon like the aforementioned Pikachu, you wouldn't have to make it much bigger than the D/P sprite. I'm probably not going to use Red's sprite in-game.
    Both sprites use 16 colours; Red's are taken from his official artwork, while Gligar's are from its HG/SS sprite. I used 4th gen shading on the Gligar.
    I didn't do the backsprite, but I think it would suffice to resize and clean up the Platinum backsprites, which is pretty easy.
    I was originally planning to do multiple frames - a 4-frame idle animation, as well as attacking and hurt frames. However, I've decided against that for now, as it would drastically increase the time it would take to complete this, and 99% of people wouldn't have a use for those anyway.
    A new sprite resource would be useful for everyone. Existing spriters would have a larger pool of sprites to use for fusions, and would be able to make more detailed sprites. Wi-fi traders would have a different set of sprites to use for their trade threads. ROM hackers would have better sprites to use for their title screens. And game developers would be able to increase their resolution without pixelating everything. Finally, anyone contributing can use this as a chance to improve their sprinting skills and get feedback.

So, do any scratch/pixel-over spriters want to help out? I'm going to post this on other forums too, to try and get a largeish group of volunteers. If we can get around 10-20 people, we should be able to get at least one, probably 2 or 3, sprites done per day between them (if each person makes a sprite per week, which isn't overoptimistic given that a sprite will take an hour or two to complete). This means the whole Pokédex could be complete within a few months. With more people, it could get done faster.

If enough people are interested, I'll make a new thread in the Pixel Projects forum, and start organizing everything.

A very ambicious desicion, that one.

But it seems like a good one too.. I might even try it.

Though, having the pokemans exactly to scale would mean that some would show only a quarter of them on the screen, and others would be as big as Red's foot.. I know this cause I've tried working in scale before. (See my avi)

I'd be better to have them in the 160x160 restriction, yet not to scale, more like how they are in the regular pokemon games, so that they all fit.

Also, some tiles I've been working on. 32x32 tile size, rather than the traditional 16x16. Not for public use; these are for Amethyst only.

grass.png

Ordinary grassy ground tiles. Revamps (sort of) of my current tiles.

longgrass.png

WIP of tall grass. I still need to shade and fix up the bottom and right parts. It's inspired by HG/SS, and currently has a palette from those games; I'm going to change this eventually ;)

Any comments?

Yeah. I'd strongly advise against this, unless you'd want a fat cartoony style going on. Given how the pokemon style is already, being at double size would look unusually round and fat.. And with the way the square tiles look, ugh. Nope.

Were it for me, Id ditch 32x32 and go for something like 16x24, or 24x32.. And I'd get rid of grid movement as well, and go for a free 8-directional moveset, like Earthbound. That would imply more work on new OW poses, but it'd be worth a try.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Post #2 (*Hate to the spam regulations*)----------------------------------------------------------------------------

erebusdisplay-6.png

I can has back sprite shading advice?

Well, first off, the lightsource comes from where the opposing threat is (SCHOOLKID GWIN), instead of the back, so you should change the shades on the hair a bit.

Also, (This is more of a crit) the hair color is extremely yellow, and should be colored more naturally, like a bit more of brown or so. This, and how the hair ends in a straight line, makes her head seem like wearing a plastic yellow helmet or something.

Now to the body.. Lines on the arms look jagged, and might need a darker blue shade to AA it out. You also need to get rid of that ugly black line on her back.. And speaking of lines, don't be afraid to use line breaks; dark lines do not HAVE to be connected. In fact, sprites in this style look alot better in line breaks and sel-outs, like this:

PhotobucketUpld-1081.png

(And notice that the face is already done this way.)

And last, I think you might be able to use this base I made when making a similar backsprite. First one is blank for custom poses. ;)

It uses 8 of the original pallete colors, btw. (My noobishness in hacking limits me to stuff like this everyday..)

PhotobucketUpld-1735.png

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Actually, everything on that sprite is based on features from other GBA trainer back sprites. Well, except for the weird shape of the right arm. The shading and black line on the back are directly inspired by Stephen's sprite, and the hair... Well, the hair doesn't have very many shades in it. I'm limiting myself to palettes found in the GBA games, the one you see is Glacia's. It's the palest, least Pikachu-on-your-head yellow I could find. If you have another palette in mind, I'd be glad to try it out.

images

The hair being flat is actually the style it's in; I love girls with this hairstyle and a hairband, as seen on Sonoko here. If you have a suggestion on how it should be portrayed, I'll give it a try. The lack of anti-aliasing on the arms is also adhering to the style, but line breaks are a good idea. I usually don't use them... I guess it's just my style, like how I usually cover peoples' ears with hair, and tend to give Pokemon large ears to compensate. Actually, on closer inspection I haven't recolored the outline anywhere on her torso... I can only imagine why. Thanks for the offer to use your animation bases, but I'm trying to draw everything myself.

tempqn.png

While drawing the arms I noticed that the face, only a slight modification of the shape of the circle I started with, was just two clicks away from being the same exact shape as the faces of the FR/LG protagonists... So, I copied the style. Anyway, if you can help with the hair, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I could help, but that would mean that Id have to edit a bit. You mind?

And yep. Stick with that pallete. I was going to suggest the original FRLG's heroes' ones, but I tried it already, and it looks pretty bad. Not to mention that you'd have to use dark blue in place of the dark grey on the back.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Well, I meant more like, help by suggesting things. You can experiment a bit (do I say "a bit" too much? I think I say "a bit" too much; also, I use too many semicolons) and let me know what you think, but I don't want to actually see your edited versions.

By the way, is it "Smash", "Negative Smash", "Nega Smash", "Minus Smash", "Hyphen Smash", "Dash Smash", "HULK SMASH"...? I wonder every time I see one of your posts or that you're online... Same with Fox. Is it "Fox", "Fox Spade", "Fox Ace"?

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Well, I meant more like, help by suggesting things. You can experiment a bit (do I say "a bit" too much? I think I say "a bit" too much; also, I use too many semicolons) and let me know what you think, but I don't want to actually see your edited versions.

Hmm.. Then I'd rather not post my fixes then.

The reasons are that, well, the behavior in all of your posts leads me to think that you are somehow of the "proud" kind of artist, that likes to make everything by himself, likes to be unique, doesn't like to copy, and dislikes having others mod his work. And I don't blame you; letting this happen could take away the originality put to it, or steer your work to other directions or aproaches, or if someone fixes your work and improves it, you feel like it's not yours completely anymore.

I know because I was like that before, but once I went to sites based solely on pixel art for the first time, I got bashed endlessly because of protesting to people to not mod my sprites, even if it was to help me. Yet, over time I started to be more open to these kinds of crits, and I've improved greatly because of it.
    (On a side note, architecture, as well as most arts, are the same thing. People suggest and mod your stuff, and then you choose on what to improve, be it design or how to work it out)

But if you want to look anyway (I edited quite a bit), then here:

Spoiler:

By the way, is it "Smash", "Negative Smash", "Nega Smash", "Minus Smash", "Hyphen Smash", "Dash Smash", "HULK SMASH"...? I wonder every time I see one of your posts or that you're online... Same with Fox. Is it "Fox", "Fox Spade", "Fox Ace"?

Lol.
    "-Smash" should have been easy to decipher, I think.. The "-" just means "least bother-able symbol to put aside your username when it's taken already". I was supposed to be just Smash.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • It's not that I wouldn't accept people modifying my sprites, it's more a thing of respect... I'm sure you've seen my responses to less-than-spectacular sprites before. I could easily make them look like they belong in one of the games (if I shaded it properly... I hate shading, the majority of my sprites are just sitting around in line art form), but I don't, out of respect for the other partys' work. I actually did modify someone's sprite at one point since joining PC, but I made sure to say stuff like "no disrespect" and fully explained what each changed I made meant, to help them improve.

The reason that I said I didn't want to see your edited versions is because visual memory has too much of an influence; if I looked, from now on I would be mentally comparing any trainer back sprite I made to your version.

...Aargh, see? Your improvements are great, especially the hair (my nemesis!)... Now that I've seen it, if I don't use it I'll just keep thinking about it while trying to edit the sprite. >.<

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • I realize I like never post here anymore
    Anyways Ive finaly got around trying again for the third time to sprite gsc style sprites and well it finally came out um.. GOOD
    And when I got the result I decided to animate it.
    I hate the color restriction though, I think from now on I'll just stick to DP sprites style XD.

gsc_animation25382052040-iaza.gif

Time taken: About 2 hours

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back