• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Pokémon changed your life?

Years
  • Pokémon is an important series to many of us! Has it impacted your life in any meaningful way? Maybe you met an awesome friend because of the shared interest in Pokémon, it inspired you to draw, or perhaps was even just there for you on difficult days and helped you get through them.

How did the series affect you?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I feel like it has, in a way. I met a few good friends through it, and found something that sort of stuck in my life. So, I'd definitely say it has changed my life, in a way. I don't think I'd be the same person I am today if I didn't have Pokemon.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Literally got a tattoo. That's about as permanent an impact something can possibly have lol.

And of course the incredible friendships I've made along the way!
    ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I... don't know where I'd be without Pokémon to be honest. My love for the series has endured the death of the late 90s-early 00s hype, my crazy tween years, several broken friendships (some of them long-term), a failed relationship, two near-death experiences (one physical, one mental and spiritual), my finding a "vacation home" fandom in Star Wars, and two graduations, soon to be three. It was always there for me, but all these experiences taught me not to take its positive influence for granted.

I do hope it will remain in my life in some form or another, even if it comes to the point I no longer play the games.

Years
  • met one of my irl best friends through pokemon, joined this community because of it and met some fantastic people as a result. not to repeat what has been said too much, but to imagine my own life were it not for pokemon is... extremely difficult. i'd likely be in a way darker place than i am currently, that's for sure.

pkmin3033

I don't know if I'd say Pokemon has changed my life as much as it has defined my life. Being caught up in a global craze when you're still a kid and developing as a person is quite an experience, one that can obviously stick with you throughout your entire life if it's a big enough thing for you. I played other video games and watched other anime before Pokemon, but Pokemon is what inspired me to look more closely at those things and return to them as I got older and began to actually think for myself. Pokemon in no small way helped define my hobbies and interests whilst I was growing up, and for better or worse it's not something I can really let go of now despite my...disdain, shall we say, for pretty much everything past the fourth generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Yes, pretty much. Whenever I feel boared I watch pokemon series or play pokemon game. There are two things which makes me happy after the daily hactic routine. I am a biggest fan of pokemon, my handbag, T-shirt, and other items contains the picture of pokemon. Even my friends laugh at me sometimes, how I manage to find such tuff from the market. Honestly speaking I didn't find the stuff, instead this stuff automatically appear in front of me and I buy it. I am pretty much sure you would love love this series.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    At present? Not that much. Devoted a lot of time to it over the years, certainly. Left no major, discernable impact. Imagines some other game(s) filling the void without it. May have landed in a community dedicated to one of those instead.

Ventures far out into the weeds on the community point. Would another interesting, welcoming forum exist? Maybe, maybe not. What would the members be like? Shrugs. Could have returned to (relative) solitude again. Feels more comfortable in that lurker space than most, probably.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Pokémon has been around me since my childhood, so obviously it's had some impact on me. It was the only thing I was ever interested in until my teens, and I've made connections to many people (mostly online) thanks to it. Pokémon's also inspired me as an artist, especially when it comes to character and creature design.

More concretely, though, Pokémon has taught me English. I thank Mystery Dungeon for introducing me to words like "commotion," "proof," and "blame."

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Pokémon has not only changed my life, but also saved my life. Pokémon gave me the motivation to get out of certain bad situations in my life and even changed my thought processes and worldview. For example, although I am slightly embarrassed to admit it because many people might say that it is just a video game and isn't that deep, but the storyline for Pokémon Black truly brought me to tears. In the past, I have been in situations where I gave up on life, assumed that life would only get worse in the future because of those situations, and even contemplated hugging a Bewear on occasion, mainly because I didn't think that I would last very long. I experienced those instances where I assumed that I struggled to fit in with my peers for whatever reason. Whenever I did try to make friends, I was usually constantly told, "Not now," or "maybe some other time," so a good chunk of my life was spent alone. On top of that, I had to deal with the passings of extremely close members of my family, such as my mother, cousin, grandfather, and grandmother. Imagine struggling to make friends and then losing your closest family members. Nowadays, it seems that the most I have is my father and older sister. At most, I thought that I only had acquaintances at best, but not true friends that everybody else seemed to have. To fill that void, I ended up entering a relationship that started off great, but eventually went sour. There was a lot of abuse there, mental, emotional, and physical, but because of my desperation to have a connection with someone, leaving felt impossible.

As I got a little older, in hindsight, I learned it was a relationship that never should have existed to begin with. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Game Freak creates a Pokémon game in a region based upon my hometown, something that I never thought I would ever see in any Pokémon game. As a result, I felt that had to pick up this game. Doing so resulted in me becoming highly interested in Pokémon. I began the story with my player character beginning their adventure with close friends, something that I desired. I picked Snivy as my partner, named her Ophis, and she evolved into Serperior overtime, which reminded me of all the people in my life that I was close to. Upon clearing the game for the first time after beating Ghetsis, N appears bathed in light and said something to me that really spoke to me, which was the quote, "Serenity! You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Make your wonderful dream a reality, and it will become your truth! Serenity! If anyone can, it's you! Well, then… Farewell!" That portion of the story and that quote actually made me cry, but it was hard to tell if they were tears of joy or sadness. Either way, it actually motivated me to make some changes and turn those bad situations in my life into good situations. Ever since then, my worldview has changed and things only seem to be getting better now. N said that quote after Ghetsis was revealed to have been manipulating him the whole time, which reminded me a lot of the relationship that I was in.

Well, Ghetsis being defeated and N saying his quote afterwards motivated me to get out that relationship and find greener pastures, which I did. When the story gets to the part where you choose Reshiram, or I should say, where Reshiram chooses you, the game actually helped me understand how to be true to myself. I guess you can say that the lore regarding Reshiram taught me something valuable, which is if my ideals aren't likely to be achieved in the way I want them to be, which was in my case, making more connections with people, I just need to learn to accept the truth and find other ways to be happy. As a result, even if I tried to make more friends and failed, doing so wouldn't bother me because I learned to accept myself for who I am no matter what. Shortly before my mom passed, she told me that she named me Serenity because she believed that once you find serenity in your life, then you find eternal happiness, and said that she found that when I was born. Well, ever since Pokémon entered my life, I believe that I found serenity as well just like my mom did because I am in a much happier place now. I guess you can say that Pokémon helped me find myself. 😊 Without it, I probably wouldn't be here today because I would have eventually gave in to those bad situations.

Back