• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Missingno

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    How is 'M not defined physically. It has a sprite, It has a cry, it has attacks and is catchable, so obviously it exists, same as all the other glitches!
    I never said it doesn't exist. I said it isn't physically defined by the game's code, which is true. The game pulls random data from the ROM and wrongly interprets it as the attributes of a Pokémon. (And before you ask: any cryptographer can tell you that in computing, "random" does not mean "different every time." I know that 'M's data never changes.)
    Technically, no pokemon are physically defined, since they are computer-generated images on a screen, so please choose your vocabulary better.
    Fair enough. I'll go with "physically defined in the code." Better?
    Also, just do a favour for everyone, and research glitches for as long as Darkshade and i have. Then maybe you will actually get your facts right!
    You don't know for what period of time I've been studying the Pokémon games. Therefore, you shouldn't make assumptions. My facts are right.

dragpyre

The Brother's Fight For Hell
    Years
  • Thanks.

Me and Darkshade are making a glitch archive if anyone wants to look, with self-recorded video and evidence of actual glitches, but this thread is good for discussing our opinions of missingno., and trying to define what it really is or how it was made.

Unless Nintendo actually speak out about it, i don't think we'll ever know the answer

And no, i bet he doesn't even know how to get missingno., although we've discussed this throughout the whole thread, and is frantically surfing up and down cinnarbar without doing the correct steps.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Nice one. I wonder if he knows anything on this topic?

... Probably not... 39 Missingno.s? That is a bit of a random number... I wouldn't have argued if he said 39 glitches, but (to me!) there is 1 missingno.s and various glitch/ancient fossil pokemon.

Last edited:

Slin

12 Shinys Owned?!?!
    Years
  • A friend of mine already got a missigno, then his file got corrupt and never could play again... is there anyway to make he play again?

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • No, they are not all missingno.'s, because you have M., 4., A, and a whole bunch of other glitch pokemon, which i have caught, (and its fun to watch what happens to your game.) Check out www.trsrockin.com for a huge glitch catalouge.
    I thought I'd just add something else to that: MissingNo. is short for Missing Number. That means it doesn't have a number. That is why it is #000 on the pokedex. MissingNo. is called that for a reason.

~Night

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    ... Probably not... 39 Missingno.s? That is a bit of a random number... I wouldn't have argued if he said 39 glitches, but (to me!) there is 1 missingno.s and various glitch/ancient fossil pokemon.
    It's hardly random.

This is the list of physically defined names in Pokémon Red. Count how many times "Missingno." appears. Other data structures in the ROM that match hexadecimal order follow this pattern—Rhydon's data is first, etc.

If you want a third‐party source, count how many instances of "Missingno." appear in this list. Notice that three also correspond to Ghost and the fossils.

Thirty‐nine copies of Missingno. exist in the games. No more, no less.

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
    Years
  • A friend of mine already got a missigno, then his file got corrupt and never could play again... is there anyway to make he play again?

Can u explain what happened in full detail?

did his save file become corrupt and disappear?
    or did his cartridge stop working?

either way he will have to start again from the beggining........

dragpyre

Years
  • it could mean he was thinking OMG A COOL GLITCH H.O.F, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GEEKY PERFECT, LEVEL 100 ONE????

only kidding.

yeah tell us how it happened and we'll see what we can tell you

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    I, too, have been looking a glitches for a while, but nowhere near as long as you guys have (only maybe a year), and as a result of this I have a question:
    The 'defined' pokemon in R/B/Y take up 190 values of a byte, as well as 40 or so others that are not proper data, in terms of pokemon data, and as a result don't load. But do all the values for the pokemon byte even load anything at all? And is my theory correct about improperly formated data?

I've really only experimented and conjectured with glitches, so I don't have a way to figure this put for myself...

dragpyre

Years
  • i have a theory also:

i Think that nintendo made the first 151, and had slots left over, so they filled them with random data that was stable enough to be stored, but not executed.

They may have done this to fill empty bytes, so the game wouldn't crash if it tried to execute these empty bytes, or if the player tried to cheat or glitch the game to their advantage.

Due to the nature of the programmed data, it produces advers effects, and so M', Charizard M', A. etc appear, and pixels and other defined data became warped and manipulated by this data.

Missingno. was what Nintendo used to test the battle sequence of the game, and to get it stable enough to be playable, but left it in and players found a way to execute it

So technically, neither Mew nor Arceus was the first pokemon.

It was Missingno. ...........

So yeah, your piece about how improperly formatted data was contained in the game, could be tied in with how and why glitches happen

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Techinically, Missingno. is the first pokemon, because he was the emeror and if it wasn't for him doing all these tests (battle tests, item tests, etc.) then they would be a picture that just stands around and does nothing while your pokemon is just the same.

^ Easier said, Missingno. is God of Pokemon, not us.

lord_hardware

Lord Hardware
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    Talk to the Old Man at the northern edge of Viridian, and let him catch a Weedle.

you dont need to let him catch it... it works without the old man catching the weedle...

on a off note... how many weedles does that dude have?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    you dont need to let him catch it... it works without the old man catching the weedle...

on a off note... how many weedles does that dude have?

Not true. As I have played RGB a LOT, I know what I'm saying when I say that you have to let him catch it because your name will be edited to OLD MAN, then, [Oh, hi Missingno.] and you can see MISSINGNO.

Off-note: Yeah, I've been wondering with the DUDE in POKeMON GS as well, as he has infinite RATTATAs.

Guest123_x1

Can u explain what happened in full detail?

did his save file become corrupt and disappear?
    or did his cartridge stop working?

either way he will have to start again from the beggining........
    When I first read about MissingNo in Pojo's magazine many years ago, it warned that cacthing it would "ruin your game". Then later I read up about a "cheat" allowing you to clone items which involved MissingNo. It too warned against catching MissingNo, but instead run from the battle or defeat it.

Regardless of whether you capture it or not, your saved Hall of Fame is already messed up once MissingNo appears because it directly writes into your save file.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I have a few Missingno.'s and it's just a false rumor that Missingno. ruins your game. It's fake...

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • It acctually crashes your game....
    It depends on waht kinda Missingno you catch....
    Usually, the "M" crashes your game, it delets your game after you save your game with that "M" in your party....
    We're talking about the Missingno. called MISSINGNO. not 'M
    'M crashes your game, but MISSINGNO. is harmless(except for the little hall of fame changes, but who cares about that anyways?)

~Night

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back