• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The unused type combinations

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • There's currently 17 unused type combinations, and one type combination that's only in use by a mega evolution, so no normal Pokemon has it.

These unused type combinations are currently as follows.

Normal/Ice, Fire/Grass, Poison/Steel, Normal/Poison, Fire/Fairy, Ground/Fairy, Normal/Bug, Electric/Fighting, Bug/Dragon, Normal/Rock, Ice/Poison, Bug/Dark, Normal/Ghost, Fighting/Ground, Rock/Ghost, Normal/Steel and Fighting/Fairy. Dragon/Fairy has also only been used on Mega Altaria and has yet to be used on a normal Pokemon.

Of these, which one of these do you want to see the most in future Pokemon games? Which are you shocked haven't happened yet?

I will fight for a Steel/Poison Pokemon until it happens. Meltan should have been this type combination! I'm surprised by the fact we never had a Bug/Dark type yet, tbh, Drapion should have been Bug/Dark type instead of Poison/Dark, but I digress.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Steel/Poison is a no-brainer, especially given that mercury is a thing. Electric/Fighting also has the potential to be interesting (isn't that right, Zeraora?), and Bug is the only type Dragon hasn't been paired with (YOU WERE SO CLOSE, FLYGON).

I'm also surprised a Grass/Fire Pokémon doesn't exist, and that the other starter-type combinations are extremely rare. Fire/Fairy and Ghost/Rock, too.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Fire/Fairy would be super cool to see. It's what Ninetales should have been, imo :3 Or perhaps we can see Hisuian Arcanine become that? Given that it is "the Legendary pokémon", fairy fits well with legends.

Rock/Ghost feels like we should/could have gotten already with Sinistea or Golett. But nope. That was weird.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    yanmega couldve have been bug/dragon. Haxorus looks a bit like a bug dragon too. sunflora would have been a cool fire/grass type, and im surprised no poison/ice exists as ice would cover poisons ground weakness a bit

Years
  • Been wanting a Bug/Dragon type.
    I'll also never say no to more ice types so Normal/Ice & Ice/Poison as well as a proper Fire/Ice type (Galar Zen Mode Darmanitan doesn't really count imo as it needs to have it's HA and be at half hp or under for the change to occur.... I'd much rather have a mon that's just Fire/Ice all the time) would definitely be appreciated.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think Galarian Yamask and Runerigus should have been Rock/Ghost, that would have made it more interesting since for Ground/Ghost we already had Golett and Sandygast lines. I was surprised back in the day that Spiritomb wasn't actually Rock/Ghost since it looks literaly like a cursed stone.

Grass/Fire would be great for a Sunflora or Gourgeist regional form.

Steel/Electric & Steel/Poison could work well on a Pokémon based on a Battery, which could evolve into either a charged battery or a dead battery.

Would also like to see a Grass/Electric Pokémon, since I find that typing awesome and it's such a shame it's exclusive to a specific Rotom form which can't even learn Grass moves other than Leaf Storm.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I think Galarian Yamask and Runerigus should have been Rock/Ghost, that would have made it more interesting since for Ground/Ghost we already had Golett and Sandygast lines. I was surprised back in the day that Spiritomb wasn't actually Rock/Ghost since it looks literaly like a cursed stone.

Steel/Electric & Steel/Poison could work well on a Pokémon based on a Battery, which could evolve into either a charged battery or a dead battery.

Would also like to see a Grass/Electric Pokémon, since I find that typing awesome and it's such a shame it's exclusive to a specific Rotom form which can't even learn Grass moves other than Leaf Storm.

Electric/Steel is in use by the Magnemite line and Togedemaru.
    Although, I suppose the reverse Steel/Electric hasn't been done yet, but I don't count reversal of the type combination as unused. Love your idea of a battery Pokemon, though for a Steel/Electric type instead of Electric/Steel type.

Years
  • I think Galarian Yamask and Runerigus should have been Rock/Ghost, that would have made it more interesting since for Ground/Ghost we already had Golett and Sandygast lines. I was surprised back in the day that Spiritomb wasn't actually Rock/Ghost since it looks literaly like a cursed stone.

I would like to piggyback off of this and if they do a region based off of California do a Fire/Grass Trevenant because of the gnarly forest fires they have been having every year.

Years
  • Normal/ghost is officially covered by Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark now! I'm curious to see how exactly they fit into this type combo, since I'm not sure I see much of a normal or ghost in either of them.

Extremely interested in seeing a poison/steel type - it could work pretty well since steel is immune to poison. So it could have evolved to be carrying poisonous substance within it (or something like that) that doesn't impact its body/health in any way due to the immunity?

Years
  • Normal/ghost is officially covered by Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark now! I'm curious to see how exactly they fit into this type combo, since I'm not sure I see much of a normal or ghost in either of them.

Extremely interested in seeing a poison/steel type - it could work pretty well since steel is immune to poison. So it could have evolved to be carrying poisonous substance within it (or something like that) that doesn't impact its body/health in any way due to the immunity?

my first guess on their typing was ice/dark, but i m really excited for this new types combination !

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    I'm surprised we still don't have a Fighting/Fairy because when Fairy came up, it made a dual type with a lot of others.
    I would like to see an Electric/Fighting, but with a new Electric physical move, no recoil please

Years
  • If Trapinch was Bug/Ground we could've gotten a Bug/Dragon Flygon by now. Electivire and Zeraora are also my top two picks for Electric/Fighting could-have-beens. Same sentiments for Spiritomb & Golett/Golurk with Ghost/Rock.

Poison/Steel has so much potential (Vaccine Pokemon??) and they oughta make a Fire/Grass type concept out of pepper already. I can also envision a snow wolf or yeti inspired evolutionary line where the baby form is Ice/Normal.

P.S. I could've sworn the Rockruff line was Normal/Rock. Either I'm tripping or I played a rom hack that changed its typing and didn't notice...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • All the fighting type pokemon combos are some I really want to see, given it is one of my three favorite types. I just love all the fighting type pokemon. I'd also like a better Fighting/Ice type that isn't terrible looking. I do like Crabominabal, but you can barely use it because you can't evolve it till the end of the game.

I'd also like to see a Ice/Dragon line. I know we have the fossils and Kyurem, but I'd rather have a full line.

I am mostly surprised we have seen a Fighting/Flying type aside from Galar Zapdos. I think Braviary should have been part fighting given its dex entry and everything.

Years
  • as long as grass/fire isn't something corny like a burning bush pokemon, i'd be down to see what it'd be like. although to be honest, opposing type combinations like these have always been interesting to me (and it's a shame that volcanion sorta ruined water/fire to me as it's such a forgettable 'mon...).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I know I love Fairy types and all, but Steel/Poison would be badass! With something like Fling and a Toxic Orb, I can easily see it being a powerhouse.

Fighting/Fairy would be cool to see too. Like an old fashioned Tooth Fairy that knocks them suckers right outta your head. ଘ(੭ˊ꒳ˋ)੭✧

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    Pokemon filling these unused type combinations that I've designed for my fictional game outline:

Fire/Grass - Sunflower Pokemon that makes heavy use of Sunny Day and various move that care about sun (eg. Synthesis).

Poison/Steel - Pokemon representing pollution and over-industrialization; think Hexxus from Fern Gully. (I actually named one of its abilities "Toxic Love." 😁) Very powerful (it's actually the game's "second" psudo-legendary) and was used as a weapon of war by an evil army in the backstory.

Ground/Fairy - Badger Pokemon that plays on the actual meaning of the Irish phrase aos si (from which the words sith/sithi/sidhe are derived) as "people of the mounds." Ace of the Fairy type Gym Leader due to Ground being strong against both of Fairy's weaknesses, and as such I made a point of making this Pokemon deliberately awesome.

Bug/Dragon - A dragonfly, something which should have been done properly a long time ago and which Flygon epically fails at. Starts as Bug/Water, then becomes Bug/Steel, then Bug/Dragon. The game's "primary" psudo-legendary.

Normal/Bug and Normal/Rock - A pair of version exclusive Pokemon based on the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. 😁 (They're Normal type to get STAB for sound-based moves.)

Bug/Dark - Female-only counterpart to Scyther; comes with a new baby Pokemon that can evolve into either. The poster child for a new Dark type move called Heartbreak that deals double damage if the target is infatuated with the user.

Fighting/Ground - A Pokemon that I haven't fleshed out that much yet in terms of what it is, but is the counterpart to a (also not very developed) Grass/Ground type. The latter has a signature ability that causes it to automatically plant its roots upon entering battle as though it had used Ingrain; while the former has a signature move (possibly called Uproot if that's not too on the nose) that is similar to Dragon Tail and Circle Throw but with the added property of being able to bypass Ingrain and Suction Cups. The idea is that the former Pokemon is one of the few natural predators of the latter due to being one of the few things capable of pulling it up.

Rock/Ghost - A three-stage-evolution Pokemon that is a bunch of possessed pieces of stone statue assembling themselves into a full body. Has a signature ability that allows it to effectively have multiple abilities simultaneously depending on how you evolve it, that functions similarly to Calyrex's ability As One.

Fighting/Fairy and Dragon/Fairy - A pair of version-exclusive Pokemon that are the male and female versions (respectively) of the same species, like Tauros and Miltank or the Nidorans. Both epic warriors that defend their home and friends from invaders. This and this are rough approximations what they look like, or at least of the vibe I'm going for. The "third" Legendary of the games (equivalent of Rayquaza or Giratina) is also a Dragon/Fairy type; I haven't developed this one much, but I envision it as being similar to Ugin from Magic The Gathering.

A few more type combinations that have technically been done before, but where like Mega Altaria I kind of feel like they "don't count":

Psychic/Electric (used for Alolan Raichu, which I think is barely a Psychic type) - A Pokemon that channels "life energy" and "auras" in the eastern sense, but also channels "physical" forces like gravity and electromagnetism, with the idea that all of these things are just different forms of energy that are all equally alike. I like to describe this Pokemon as being a cross between a yogi and Magneto. It's name, of course, involves a pun on the word "om/ohm." This is quite possibly my favorite out of all of the Pokemon I've designed. 😄

Fire/Water (only used on the mythic Volcanion, and is far too interesting a type combination to be relegated to a mythic) - A Fire type lizard that eats snow for nourishment, "fuel" (think Coalossal), and regurgitate-attack fodder, and evolves into either a Fire/Rock type or a Fire/Water type depending on what moves it knows when it evolves. The Fire/Water type is a crocodilian-like lizard that shoots steam out of its limbs and the end of its tail to go very fast.

Fire/Ice (only seen on Galarian Darmanitan Zen Mode, which is a very cool Pokemon but is difficult to obtain due to needing to have its hidden ability) - I have two of these! One is a humaniod Pokemon that channels and manipulates heat energy; for example, it has an Ice type attack called Thermodrain that boosts the power of the next move used if that move is Fire type. The other is the evolution of a regional Onix, and is inspired by the Ice Worms from Subnautica Below Zero.

Electric/Fire (only seen on one of Rotom's forms) - The game's Pikachu clone, that is based on the idea of a "short circuit" or "blown fuse"; an electrical malfunction that sets stuff on fire. Its signature ability, which has to do with boosting Evasion, is called Magic Smoke, a pun which I am very proud of. 😁😁 (And no, I did not start with the name; I actually designed the ability before coming up with the name.)

Rock/Fighting (only seen on one of the Swords of Justice) - A geode Pokemon whose middle stage is called "Graplode" and resembles a Geonid from Dungeons and Dragons, and whose third stage involves multiple references to Dwayne Johnson. 😁😉

Water/Fighting (also only seen on one of the Swords of Justice) - A Pokemon based on a mantis shrimp, which the #1 animal that I am flabbergasted has not been made into a Pokemon already.

Fairy/Steel (used on Zacian, but I don't care I want to mention this one 😛) - A regional variant of Pawniard/Bisharp referred to as "White Pawniard / White Bisharp" as opposed to "Alolan Bisharp," representing the other side of the chess board from the original variant.

Years
  • I like most of your post, but:

Water/Fighting (also only seen on one of the Swords of Justice) - A Pokemon based on a mantis shrimp, which the #1 animal that I am flabbergasted has not been made into a Pokemon already.

You sure about that?

062.png

I mean it's been around since gen 1.... =p

There's also Rapid Strike Style Urshifu, but that's another Legendary so let's ignore that xD

A few more type combinations that have technically been done before, but where like Mega Altaria I kind of feel like they "don't count":

Fairy/Steel (used on Zacian, but I don't care I want to mention this one 😛) - A regional variant of Pawniard/Bisharp referred to as "White Pawniard / White Bisharp" as opposed to "Alolan Bisharp," representing the other side of the chess board from the original variant.

I get not wanting the type combo on only a Mythical or Legendary, but there are normal mons with this type combo too: Klefki and Mawile.
    I'm curious as to why they don't count?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    The answer to all of those is: I forgot. 😛

The only instances that I'm saying "don't count" are the ones I specifically called out. If there are ones that I didn't mention, I literally forgot about them when writing that post.

I get not wanting the type combo on only a Mythical or Legendary
    I count most Legendaries; the Swords of Justice are an exception because their Fighting type is more esoteric, and also they're a cycle that are all Fighting type for the same reason. (The latter reason is why I discounted Rotom.) Normally I would count a Pokemon like Zacian; as I said, I just didn't care in that moment. 😜 It was a combination of Zacian being sort of esoteric, and mine being interesting enough to make me want to mention it anyway. And again I just literally forgot about Klefki and Mawile. 😅

Back