• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular opinions

pkmin3033

Basically...Gen IV was the last Gen worth playing. The "story driven" games that the core series has been putting out from Gen V onwards have all been absolute garbage: they do not provide a compelling story as they re-use the basic plot from Gen III repeatedly just with different Legendary Pokemon, the NPCs that the game focuses on are not properly developed as characters - in fact, they have no personality at all, and that includes in-your-face Lillie, who never really develops as a character and instead just has a complete 180 towards the end of the game in some effort to simulate development - and the overall writing (if you can even call it that) is sloppy and the sort of thing I would expect from a low budget Kemco JRPG.

Last edited:

PokebladeRED

Trainer of Charizard since 1998
Years
For the Object based Pokemon, there is also the idea that they are not really pokemon because it's just object.

I'm French, and i remember of a famous French Youtuber (Joueur du Grenier) who was mocking with a potential new generation who will be a fork or a door handle ^^.

In my opinion, i'm kinda tolerant because they are Pocket Monsters anyway. For me a Monster is not only an animal-looking beast, or a dragon, but it can be also something else.

And, like other pokemon, there are some kinda cool and some kinda boring.

I like Aegislash or Chandelure for example, but i found Klink, Klang and Klinklang bad because of a total lack of imagination.

Years
HM Moves are great. I wish we had more HMs. (Sharpen them axes folks)
- When I say HM, what I really mean is field moves. I'd love it if we could interact with the environment in more ways. You don't necessarily need to create more field moves, just bonus effects on existing moves would be nice, akin to Heabutt in Gen II.

Gen IV is when the games peaked.
- I want to first establish personal bias and say I haven't played XY and never played BW after maybe one gym. I also never got to the league in FR/LG because my options were "complete FireRed" or "restart Sapphire" and I always chose to play Sapphire instead. I also don't really care for any pokemon beyond Gen IV with the exception of a good amount of Gen VI.

However, I can't think of a game with more content and gameplay than Platinum. The region itself gets a lot of criticism but it felt very tangible. Running through the marshes and getting lodged in the mud, Running through the snow and getting lodged... you get the idea but it emphasised interaction. The underground is somewhat forgettable yet I spent insane amounts of time making bases and running around with my friend, setting traps, essentially playing capture the flag. Not to mention that it spanned the entire region and gave you access to unlimited stones and fossils through an actually enjoyable minigame. Gen IV contains what made Emerald great (contests, battle frontier - don't get me started on the postgame) and offered new features that lets it hold it's own. The main quest is forgettable but the overall story was pretty good. The whole distortation-world Giratina arc was full of mystery and suspense. The side-quests were also intriguing and plentiful.

Then we got following Pok?mon in HGSS. I think the only thing missing from Gen IV for me is Dive... Because I love HMs :laugh-squinted:

I honestly gave up listing my unpopular opinions because I never realised how much I actually enjoyed Platinum until I started writing that paragraph.

Last edited:

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I really hope after the Let's Go games we will never see Gen I Pok?mon ever again. I've been seeing them for the last 20 years, and strongly believe their time has long passed and they should fade into obscurity.

(well, except if the player wants to complete the Dex and transfers Pok?mon from previous gens to that effect, that is)

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I duno. My unpopular opinion is that the 'girlyness' of fairy types actually makes them more badass? >/

*shrug* Though, i honestly don't know if thats an unpopular opinion or not anymore. It does seem more and more pokemon fans seem pretty chill about fairies now ^_^;;; at least ones i've been seeing the last couple of years anyways

Last edited:
Years
The Dragon typing isn't all that special and it's main advantage is that the creators give a lot of Pokémon ridiculously high stats compared to other types. And Garchomp is such a 'whatever' design.

Years
Years
This is such a minor nitpick to go back to, but the islands actually do have individual names aside from numbers! They're not actually included on this page, but each island's non-numerical name is listed on its individual page, and can be seen in-game by reading the little area introduction sign for each island!

Thank you, for the correction. It has been a long time since I played so I appreciate you drawing my attention to what I had forgotten. I'll strike that out from my older post.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Now here's a really unpopular opinion, GF is a company that can treat their fans like dirt, put in low effort into their games with little ingenuity and still make a bunch of money. They're that popular now and have stumbled onto a gold mine. Remember when they thought GSC would be the last games and so put in a lot of effort into it?

Last edited:

Darkpoké0011

User of the Dark-Type
Years
I think Generation VI was slightly better than VII. I know VII is meant to be more 'advanced' but my reasons are for what they removed rather than what was added. For example

-No PSS (was imo a much better method for online communication)

-No National Dex (really GF?)

-No more free fishing

-No D-pad movement controls (sacrificed for Ride Pokémon I know but was still nice to have the option)

-No more sitting down. A minor touch but I don't understand why this was removed in gen VII.

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Is this considered an unpopular opinion? I thought the "popular" way to view Gen VI is good potential but needed more fleshing out rather than being bad at core.

Yeah. The previous gen isn't held in that much of a high regard because of the reasons you listed here. However, I'm seeing a few people attempting to praise it just to find an attempt to bash the most recent generation as per the Pokemon cycle. Like was here with the PSS being quicker to access and not having to go to another interface, previous generation saw the complaint that the plot was executed badly, and there needed to be a good plot like that of BW. Although strangely enough, the plot is one thing that's being bashed this gen as well...

Years
I'd say it's the execution of the most recent gen's plot is why it gets a (very deserved) bashing and I would say gen VII is bad at core. It has some parts I liked, but ultimately the negatives outweigh the positives and it's the only generation I would say that for (although Gen IV does come very close too).

Anyway to get back on topic... Vanilluxe is an amazing design while Chandelure looks absolutely horrific.

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
I'm leaving this here, but I'd recommend you not to read it...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Years
Possibly unpopular opinion incoming!

Fifth generation is placed on way too much of a pedestal. While there are certainly many things to like about the generation in particular and what it introduced, it's really not all that great.

Triples and Rotation battles I'd hardly count as memorable, simply because there were so few of them. This could be the fault of Game Freak not really taking full advantage of them, but I felt like they were included for basically no reason. It would be a lot more interesting if Gym Leader battles and Elite Four battles made use of Triples and Rotations, but no, this is not the case. It's really only optional NPC battles at most that do this which makes this less interesting. Sky battles fall into the same category except worse, because less than a handful of trainers have the capability to fight you in a Sky battle. It felt like a complete waste of an addition. All three battle modes felt somewhat innovative but since they were restricted to so few NPCs, they didn't feel interesting enough to be worth it.

Dream World was an absolute embarrassment and a mess. I'm not exactly sure what either Nintendo or TPCi had in mind when they tried to implement this sort of thing because it was interesting at first and then.... it became absolutely infuriating. It was mostly an annoying way of trying to catch Hidden Ability Pokemon at the time that they were introduced which was, imo at least, pretty sloppy. If I recall correctly, Dream World is also the only way where you could regrow berries which was agonizing at the time because it really shouldn't have to be that way. This is a pretty big deal if you wanted to do things like competitive in-game battles like Battle Subway at the time because Dream World is just terribly inefficient.

Speaking of Battle Subway, this is the biggest thing that nearly killed my love of Gen 5, had it not been for B2W2's Pokemon World Tournament. You go from Gen IV's Battle Frontier, which was a very loved addition in both Platinum and HGSS, to something that's basically worse than a watered down Battle Tower? At least in Battle Tower iirc you can partner up with a friend over the internet; you can't even do that in the Battle Subway. It was just a massive disappointment all around because you would expect the post-game of BW to be some sort of amazing thing coming off the highs of Gen IV's Battle Frontier, only to be slapped in the face with a massively stripped down Battle Tower at best.

On a seperate note, both BW and B2W2 could've done without the Shadow Triad because they added precisely zero to the story whatsoever. They were just there to be "ooo mysterious" and then turned out to be one of the most forgettable characters ever. You don't discover their identity or their background or anything because as soon as you beat Ghetsis in BW or Colress/Ghetsis in B2W2, the Shadow Triad vanish into the darkness never to be seen again. An argument can be made that they're the equivalent of your everyday henchmen, but why make them into separate classes of trainers to begin with, as if they're this super big deal? They're not even good trainers at that -- IIRC they have like one or two Pokemon and they barely put up a fight.

Speaking of pointless, I don't like the addition of the Sages, although I'll give them mostly a pass because I feel like they were mostly added for plot material and not much else. Although if I'm going to be honest, the Sages quickly descended into irrelevancy because in BW the story revolved too much around N and Ghetsis for them to matter anyway. In B2W2 some of them serve more of a purpose; although barely because you battle like two of them, have some dialogue with a third one and the other three are nowhere to be seen. So I suppose at the same time, the sages didn't serve... any purpose at all in both games besides being minorly relevant as far as plot goes I guess.

I could go on, but the bigger point here isn't to really slam Gen 5 or anything. In truth, I don't even dislike Gen 5. It certainly has a lot of things worth praising. Gen 5's in-battle graphics are... okay, I guess, but they're nothing to really write home about; the overworld graphics I'd argue are better, I think. Bianca and Cheren are definitely noteworthy rivals with very contrasting personalities that I really like! I also like seeing their progression as characters in B2W2, as it was nice seeing Cheren as a Gym Leader and Bianca as Juniper's assistant. Fifth gen has an amazing Pokemon roster. I could go on and on here, too.

The bigger point being here is that fifth gen isn't perfect, and people need to stop pretending like it's some sort of holy grail of the Pokemon gaming franchise when truth be told it's just about as flawed as every other Pokemon game made.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
A "Hard mode" for Pokemon games is entirely uneeded and would only take away from the core experience. If you want a challenge, don't do anything to make the game easier on yourself like grinding or using items during battle - there are plenty of ways to play the game to make it harder without flipping a Hard Mode switch.

Gen II is easily the worst generation as far as overall content goes because Johto is the worst designed region in the series because it is just unfun when you have to grind your way up and how much Kanto stole the spotlight. The postgame isn't even good because it is just empty and bland. HG/SS did little to fix the problems the region had. Wait no, they tried to fix the pokemon diversity but they did it in the scummiest way possible - regulating the extra pokemon to the Pokewalker.

The Pokewalker is probably the scummiest thing Gamefreak has ever done and it was successful at making the players think they were being loved when they really were getting gouged out for a cheap accessory designed to have people pay more to "complete" the remake.

B/W2 are bad games because they lost sight of what made B/W1 good and unique and turned it into a bland experience and things like needing other versions to unlock things like Challenge mode is really stupid. It did a lot of cool things and fixed up a few issues, but the main game is really bland and bad.

US/UM are even worse than B/W2 and somehow ended up being the worst games in the series because whoever was in charge in making the additions thought it would be a good idea to have the Rotom Dex constantly bug you, throw out the character development characters like Lillie and Luisamne had, throw in artificial difficulty, artificially enforce same-gen cross-game incompatibility and more horrible changes.

Last edited:

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
1. Alder's battle theme isn't that bad. Sure, it doesn't fit his character in the slightest, but it's not poorly composed or anything.

3. The updated remix of Cyrus' theme in USUM is garbage. It's shorter and has this irritating synth over the entire melody.

4. Black 2 and White 2 are the best games in the series. What they lack in story, they make up for in post game and music. The expanded Pokedex was great as well.

5. X and Y are the worst games in the series. With Diamond and Pearl, you could improve the performance the story a bit and have a great game. X and Y on the other hand would require serious reworking to work. The exp share is broken, the pacing is a mess, and the less I say about the post game the better. Aside from the new Pokemon and music, I do not care for either version.

6. The Pok?walker was an innovative accessory that paved the way for Go?s mechanics. The only problem with the accessory is how common certain Pok?mon are. Other than that, I would love to see this accessory return in some form.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Every Pokemon game since X and Y has been a dumpster fire and X/Y themselves were only barely decent because Serena was a cute player character and you could customize your outfit. Those saving graces had to be weighed against the horrendous storyline and side characters (and they only got worse in subsequent games, and they didn't have any saving graces like X/Y.)

FR/LG were the only remake games that were better than the originals. The other remake games involved a bunch of changes and additions that made them even more annoying than the source material.

The Pokemon anime needs to be scrapped and replaced with a Leaf x Serena yuri anime similar to "Yagate Kimi ni Naru."

I don't even have a favorite Pokemon anymore. If anyone asks me, I'll reply with "Buick Century" or something like that.

Satire

let’s get this bread
Years
Alright, here I go.

- Greninja is kinda garbage. He's a fast ninja frog. WoW, hOw AmAzInG aNd UsEfUl. If you want a real glass cannon, use Absol.
- Popplio-Brionne-Primarina = everything you could possibly want in a water starter.
- RSE sprites are terrible.
- Every single Milotic sprite that isn't from FRLG or Gen 6+ is terrible.
- Flareon is actually half decent if you use him correctly. Sure, his move pool kinda sucks but make do with what you have and you'll be fine.
- Mega Garchomp sucks.
- Umbreon is so overhyped that I'm starting to dislike him. Of course, I'll never truly hate Umbreon but still.
- Tri Attack on Dodrio is pretty pointless if you're trying to do actual damage.
- I don't like Z-Moves.
- I don't think IV's should be visible. Or even a thing, really. It's more of a 'me' problem- I get so obsessive over my Pokémon's IV's that I can't even enjoy the game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I totally agree about gen 2 the designs are really good. Also agree about Greninja being overrated. I also agree that legendaries were better when they were a hidden part of the world rather than a plot point. I also think some pokemon should not get evolutions, the first one that comes to mind is farfetch'd. I like that some pokemon are weak and not competitive, it adds to the feel of it being a real world where not all creature's strategy for survival is based around sheer strength

Sun and Moon had a wayyy better storyline than USUM. Even though I enjoy the whole Necrozma plot, Lusamine's motivations make no sense in USUM. In SM she was a great villain, with a disturbing relationship with her children.

I actually like the Klink line.

Sinnoh is good, but still overrated. Unova is grossly underrated.

I miss 2D sprites and would love a new game with them

I miss how grotesque or unpolished pokemon looked in Red and Blue (not the ugly sprites, but the designs in themselves. Drooling long tongue Golbat, creepy haunter, fat pidgey and spearow, monstrous victreebel, striped dratini are some of my favorites. I know fat pikachu and stocky feraligatr are two widely missed designs so I'm not including them even though I miss them too.

I hate gimmicky and mysterious evolutions. They're a hassle

I'd be fine with competitive aspects being toned down

Back