• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

be completely honest when responding to this thread

Years
  • do any of you genuinely believe we'll eventually get to an era where computers would become self-aware and if so, do you have a fear of the such happening?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I hope not, but I mean, it seems to be happening in small ways already.

And I know the science nerds who live for that sort of thing have massive boners for self aware robots, and plan to pull it off.

Years
  • I feel like eventually we might get there, but we're probably a good few decades. Or maybe we're closer to achieving the such than I thought with the way AI is going and we might get there in about five or ten years max.... either way, honestly, the thought is pretty scary to me. @_@

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    After watching many let's plays of Detroit: Become Human, I for one believe in and welcome our future android overlords

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Probably, and if it does happen so, it'll be used by the higher classes to instill fear and 'order', so I'm... not too thrilled about it to say the least.

Last edited:
    Years
  • yeah it could happen. do i see it happening in our lifetimes? probably not.

only humans are more evil than computers. we would be the ones to let this happen, so at the same time, we could be the ones to also make sure it never happens

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    do any of you genuinely believe we'll eventually get to an era where computers would become self-aware and if so, do you have a fear of the such happening?

yea and yea

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I think it'll happen. To be honest I kind of hope it does. I'd like to try and befriend some robots/AI.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Surely, but not from silicon. Quantum computing will more likely bring about the sentience (Second Singularity) everyone's paranoid over, and I don't think it'll be a big deal. Our brains are a lot closer to a quantum computer anyway. As for the First Singularity, that's going to be awesome and it's well on its way.

Years
  • Surely, but not from silicon. Quantum computing will more likely bring about the sentience (Second Singularity) everyone's paranoid over, and I don't think it'll be a big deal. Our brains are a lot closer to a quantum computer anyway. As for the First Singularity, that's going to be awesome and it's well on its way.

sentience is a bit of a stretch. Right now quantum computers are being tested against supercomputers with about 56 qubits. They take an entire facility to run since that has to be kept near absolute zero in a pressurized containment. Quantum computing is promising, but still in its infancy.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Computers becoming self-aware only is possible with Artificial Intelligence. Even then AI could be contained within a physical hardware component such that if it does decide to go rogue, it can be contained and neutralized. Having AI connected to the internet or in a platform to where it can spread itself out(aka Skynet) is what we'd have to guard against. So to answer the question: Definitely possible.

Back