• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DC or Marvel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    no one cared about marvel characters that weren't x-men before 2008
    so i'm gonna go with dc thank you very much

pkmin3033

DC for TV series, Marvel for movies. Easily. The DC animated movies are alright as standalones - and they do their villains justice, unlike the MCU, who have ruined all of them so far except for Loki - but the live action ones are awful. But the TV series are great, and always have been. The new Marvel cartoons are awful. Gotham is better than any of the Marvel live action TV series, too.

For comics...both, I guess. I dislike how almost everything in DC has to be ridiculously gritty, and Marvel has better writers - or the better writers work on more series, so there is more out there to read - but DC storylines often have a maturity that isn't really found in Marvel much of the time. DC is more down-to-earth, whilst Marvel tells better cosmic/supernatural series. I like them for different reasons. In terms of the recent shaking things up I think DC has done the better job with its characters - Marvel has just swapped characters around; female Thor, black Captain America, etc. DC's de-powering Superman and thoroughly screwing about with the Batman/Joker mechanic in the New 52 has been far more engrossing. But Vaughan's Saga, which is published by Image Comics, is better than both of them. I have high hopes for the new Power Rangers series Boom are doing too. DC and Marvel aren't all there is to comics anymore. Wicked + Divine is good too.

In terms of characters...Marvel has greater breadth, DC has greater depth. Only a handful of DC characters are interesting...but they're arguably far more interesting than Marvel's. Although in a fight between Darkseid and Thanos I'd back Thanos.

Overall? Eh, Marvel wins out for me by the barest of margins, because I grew up reading the comics. Spiderman's second Clone Saga and the Age of Apocalypse were my childhood reading, and Straczynski's Spiderman run is what got me back into the comics and kept me hooked. But I've been reading more DC and I'm coming to appreciate it just as much.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I got into comics through Batman and Green Lantern so I'm a DC guy. I do agree that Marvel makes better movies nowadays, but I still enjoyed Batman v. Superman. If only to see glimpses of Aquaman and Parademons haha

pkmin3033

Nah, Darkseid doesn't have much presence at all. Even in Smallville they made a hash job of him...although post-season seven Smallville didn't really have a proper villain to speak of, so there's that. Thanos just keeps coming back for more though, Stalin has done a pretty good job with him with the Infinity [insert second part of title here] things that revolve around him. Deadpool vs. Thanos was brilliant, too! Although I shudder to imagine how awfully the Infinity War movies will handle him. MCU films wreck villains. Utterly. I can't get excited when I know he's going to die at the end and it'll be permanent...bah.

X-Men was only popular in the 90s because the cartoon theme song was so damn catchy. The 90s Spider-Man cartoon was better, though. Much, MUCH better. X-Men Evolution was pretty good as well, even if it did end abruptly.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I think he has great presence. In Crisis on Infinte Earths "Thus let him suffer the wrath of Darkseid." That was epic.

I never really watched Smallville but if you like Infinity War you could check out Cosmic Odyssey. Starlin wrote that one too.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Batman might be the only good thing about DC these days. Marvel keeps pumping out the hits, it's hard to keep up.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • As far as actually comics go, I'm more of a DC guy. Granted, I read both, and this preference comes from that the first comics I ever read were old Superman comics from the 50s and 60s. Movie wise, I'm absolutely a Marvel guy.

If we're talking about movies, comics, and games as a whole, I'd absolutely have to say: Why not both?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Marvel... and not because I'm apart of Loki's army (or a hiddlestoner for that matter either). I do like The Avengers as well, thank you very much. >:( I don't really know why. I mean, you'd think I'd choose DC because I grew up with Superman and what not. But nope, Marvel for me.

Years
  • I don't know very much about the comics, but from the little comic I do have, my limited experience with the tv series and my much more thorough understanding of the movies I can say I've noticed a trend in which Marvel has better heroes and DC has better villains. There are obvious exceptions like Batman and Magneto, but that's just the general thing I've noticed.

Years
  • My first comics were X-Men comics so.

Aside from Batman & co. none of the DC characters really appealed to me. The DC television shows are pretty good though, but I'm still in Camp Marvel.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Movies are obviously Marvel... but with the books, I'm not sure if I've enjoyed anything more than Old Man Logan... so, I'll go with Marvel again.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm neutral. I do read both comic book franchises/series. I love me some Batman, Wonder Woman, as well as Iron Man, Spiderman and others. There is no "one-side".

Years
  • DC because of childhood sentiments, for sure. Although I will admit Marvel movies have been taking off the last few years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back