• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer customisations

Years
  • Do you make use of customisation features, or does that not interest you much?

If you like to customize your trainer, do try to make the character look like you? That's what I do, but I have seen people model their trainer on friends, a significant other or someone else irl. I was wondering what you guys do.

Maybe you design your trainer to look like a favorite character, could even be an original character. Perhaps you do none of that, and just try to come up with a look you like. Tell me! :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Yes. Bases it on real-life appearance for playthroughs that might connect with someone else in real-life. Tries to make Yin (see: avatar) for ones more likely to connect with internet users. Randomizes human features for challenge runs. Centers clothing around the theme, if applicable.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I try to make the protagonist resemble me as much as possible and name the character after myself. I never base the protagonist on any other character or anything. My avatar is my Pokémon Sword character, and in my opinion, it had the best customization options out of any other Pokémon game thus far. Pokémon Violet had good options for the face, but the clothing options suck and the skin color options were lacking in my opinion. The darkest skin tone in Pokémon Violet is much lighter than me, which is disappointing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Absolutely yes to making them look like me - that's super important to me. I always feel awkward playing games where the protag doesn't look like me, the biggest thing is hair color. Am willing to have a different hairstyle to what I normally have but the color has to be similar for sure. Then I just imagine myself as having styled it that way aha. Outfits fitting what I'd normally wear are ideal too but I also like trying new clothes out from usual. So long as the face and hair resembles me I'm happy!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I use trainer customization, customization is one of my favorite things to do in any game, Pokemon or not. I do tend to always model them after me, if not just because I completely lack imagination. lol.

Years
  • Like almost everyone here, I use it to make the player look like me and I name the character after myself (no, not piplup!).

I wish there were more options tbh. I really wish some day we will be able to play as a very original character, with age customisation and body features customisation. Because honestly, while I try my best to make the character look like me, she definitely doesn't look like me lol

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I prefer to role play custom characters in games where it is possible to do so rather than base the character off of myself, so usually I try to customise the character based on that character's own personality and such.

Years
  • I do customize my trainer, but have never once even bothered to make it look like me. Other than often including glasses since I wear them, but that's not something I always do either.

I always just pick an appearance and then once I have a decent amount of spending cash go to clothing stores and fling together an outfit. Usually said outfit will last the entire playthrough, but there are times where I'll change it once or twice during the playthrough.

I also tend to do opposite version playthroughs as the opposite gender since the 3DS games.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I like and allways use trainer customization if it's an option. Never bothered trying to make the protagonists look like me though, because that's not possible, there simply aren't avatars that beautiful...

Ok no, the actual reason is that I've never been fond of the idea that I am the character in a video game. I can be playing a video game as Batman, Amaterasu, Crash Bandiccot, or Lara Croft, and I have no issue with those protagonists having nothing to do with me. Same in any Pokémon game; it's an old RPG tradition to be allowed to give the 'hero' a custom name and a somewhat different look, but you can't really give it a personality or a different in-game goal, at the end you're just controlling 'silent youngster who loves Pokémon and is great at battling with them and is destined to become a champion'.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • (I feel like I've answered a question similar to this in another thread, but eh, why not?)

I always customize any character in a video game that I can, it makes the experience more memorable to me.
    For Pokemon games specifically, I've only ever made one character a self-insert (Shield), I've used OCs for every other protag I've played in the series.

Years
    • Seen today
    Nope. My character only gets my real name and proceeds to get a whacky appearance. I mismatch everything in an attempt to make the most silly looking human possible.

Years
  • customization was one of the best things to be added. That said i just look for something that looks nice. I used to actually but all the different outfits to swap as i feel, but honestly just a waste of time

Days
  • I just pick the most aesthetically pleasing outfit, but I'm not particularly invested in it because it's so unbelievably...threadbare. I was never expecting character customisation on the same level as some other RPGs I could name, but I was hoping for at least a consistent standard after the wealth of options X/Y provided. Everything that's followed from that has been pitiful, and Scarlet/Violet were especially disappointing for damning you that hideous uniform. It's difficult to be engaged with fashion when it was clearly grudgingly added as an afterthought.

Back