• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2019
It's unlikely, that Serena will be in SM because Pokemon now runs differently than usual.

Whether Serena, as with the others, is also forgotten, in which she gets some episodes and will never show up again, is not to be guessed from XYZ, because the time for predictability is over. If you have watched XYZ and SM, you would now know, that you could not predict anymore, like Masuda said.

The interview said: 'Serena tells Satoshi that she's going to improve herself and then come back to him'. This was Yajima said,is not, what he personally said, it came from the staff. If the staff said, that Serena goes back to Ash, then I believe it.

That is why I think, that these times from OG to BW is over. So it will definitely not run anymore, which means, that Serena will not suffer the same fate as the others.

Also SM is a comedy anime, where there is no romance. Therefore, it is unlikely that Serena will be in SM. How Serena comes back to Ash, is unclear, but as the interview was said, Serena will return to Ash. And no one knows it better than the staff themselves. She can be a permanent character or also not, who knows.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Why don't we get rid of Ash while we're at it? If they're willing to get rid of everyone else, they should do the same with Ash and Team Rocket and bring in a new protagonist.

As the ratings stay low the anime is more likely to get cancelled. You figured that after middle fingering your audience with the Kalos League the staff would learn their lessons. But it seems that isn't the case.

The only way I think they can successfully get rid of Ash is if they follow nothing but the manga. Otherwise, I just don't see it doing well without Ash. Origins did ok. Generations completely failed to a lot of people. Chronicles failed badly. And it seems that the ratings in Japan have doubled since XY for pokemon.

Besides, I think people are starting to love him more. Not as much as they did, but more than Unova.

And I am not sure we can really say it has low ratings. Especially if YoKai continues to fall down the list which is the only real competitor for pokemon. And as stated, ratings don't matter.

And Japan likes the childish looking anime better it would seem. Other countries are the only one that liked XY.

Also Serena may still return. I don't think we can rule her out. I mean they kissed. The writer confirmed that. And apparently even said that was who Ash would end up with. Iris didn't come back because not many liked her at all. However, a ton of people like Serena. She could pull a Dawn or Misty. She could return for about 10 episodes and then leave to go back to Hoenn. Serena doing contests now, that would give her a good reason to come to Alola for at least temporary to get new clothing and pokemon. I mean just image if Serena caught a Tsarena. Maybe she wants to catch an Alolan pokemon after learning about them to have an extra wow factor in contests.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2017
Also Serena may still return. I don't think we can rule her out. I mean they kissed. The writer confirmed that. And apparently even said that was who Ash would end up with.
She can come back but if she won't be the permanent (or at least recurring) character in SM she won't end up with ash. Even if the writers confirm it that ash and Serena will be together and Serena will go back to hoenn, I can bet my money that they won't be together. SM will air for 3-4 years and if Serena doesn't have a role in it except a cameo, she will also be forgotten like all others!

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Looks like it... I haven't seen it in Anime News networks rating report in a while now...

Since DB super and Pre-cure have already picked up steam (And viewership) Pokemon and Yokai watch would have a hard time cracking the top ten... they'd be fighting for tenth place more or less.

Years
Aw. Though I guess I expected it because of much lower how ratings have been since mid-BW or so.

2.5-3.9 is still by no means a poor number though; that's still a hefty watch count, with Pokémon sitting right below the top 10 mark. But I guess there's little chance in the series bringing in a consistent 6.0+ like it did during DP times due to increased competition, kids not having as much interest in the anime anymore, etc. Even the movies have been doing absolutely horrendous in the box office.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Movie's were bad or so I heard. I don't really watch the movie's anymore, it's more or less the same plot only with a different legendary.

Anyway, I was busy yesterday and today so didn't get a chance to post until now.

SM014 Ratings - 3.9

~4m viewers is pretty decent.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 20, 2020
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think the SM anime is in a good position. It isn't.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
It's better off and doing better than XY/XYZ ever dreamed of doing lmao. That's what happens when you have Ash take most of the focus and have everyone worship him like he's a god. Not to mention his "mature and badass" personality made him feel bland as heck.

To be fair, XY started off at ~5m.

Sure, it dropped and continued to drop after Korrina's arc was complete to record lows of <2.0m but that's not until later (the Kalos league, where you'd expect most people to watch).

SM is holding steady...for now.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Feels like it's just me in this thread but oh well.

SM016 - 3.7

SM017 - 3.6

I'm aware there are all sorts of anime's not aired that week during SM017 that accounts for its placing, but it's nice to see it in the top five that week.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It is being consistent, that is for sure, but I feel they need to start picking up the pace or ratings will start to go down... then again... this is Japan and they tend to like this type of show.

I am starting to feel the SInnoh Syndrome again.... far too many fillers.... and with us not getting if about a game, I feel that 6th Gen may last far too long.

Has Ash even talked about the other trials, trial captains, or kahuna's since he defeated Hala? (Note: He said he wanted to defeat all the trials... I think it is time for him to get a move on...)

Years
It is being consistent, that is for sure, but I feel they need to start picking up the pace or ratings will start to go down... then again... this is Japan and they tend to like this type of show.

Japanese kids do have short attention spans so you can see why this slice-of-life slapstick format works, but I do agree that the ratings always seem to stay where they are and that can be a concern, especially since a lot of the SM episodes so far have been full of pointless fillers and very little progression.

I am starting to feel the SInnoh Syndrome again.... far too many fillers.... and with us not getting if about a game, I feel that 6th Gen may last far too long.

You mean 7th Gen, not 6th Gen.

But like you, I am concerned that this saga will end up like Johto and Sinnoh, being so filler-heavy and showing very little progress. It's like the new format has already come at a cost, and that is extremely slow pacing.

Has Ash even talked about the other trials, trial captains, or kahuna's since he defeated Hala? (Note: He said he wanted to defeat all the trials... I think it is time for him to get a move on...)

As far as I heard, I don't think we see stuff about the trials even getting mentioned as much as we hoped. So far he's only done Melemele Island's trials and like you said, we don't seem to be getting signs of progression. Thankfully a preview showed Tapu Lele, suggesting he may be doing the Akala Island trials soon, but I am still concerned we'll have to wait longer than we think for those episodes, considering how this series has been going so far.

SM already looks like it is not going to perform well. Unova's main issue was rushed pacing, while Johto and Sinnoh's pacing was extremely slow thanks to being filler-heavy and it appears Alola is likely ending up as a slow paced series.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
At least in other filler heavy seasons there was still battling in just about every episode or some type of action that was at least a little captivating. Most of Sun and Moon so far has been slapstick and whatever random thing they decide to have the characters and Pokémon do. It feels like a stripped down version of the show. I'm curious to see how much the male audience, the true target audience, is into it since there's been very little action compared to the past and that's what the male audience goes for.

Years
At least in other filler heavy seasons there was still battling in just about every episode or some type of action that was at least a little captivating. Most of Sun and Moon so far has been slapstick and whatever random thing they decide to have the characters and Pokémon do. It feels like a stripped down version of the show. I'm curious to see how much the male audience, the true target audience, is into it since there's been very little action compared to the past and that's what the male audience goes for.

That is an interesting point you brought up, since the Pokemon fanbase is primarily male and the format Sun & Moon is going with could come off as unappealing to them.

Years
SM already looks like it is not going to perform well. Unova's main issue was rushed pacing, while Johto and Sinnoh's pacing was extremely slow thanks to being filler-heavy and it appears Alola is likely ending up as a slow paced series.

Although the slap-stick comedy is funny and very entertaining at times, I feel like the style is starting to wear off on people, and with not much story progression beside it, it could go downhill easily. The animations and facial expressions are great, but I don't think they should be relied upon as the things that make the show more enjoyable to watch. At some point the story has to become at least somewhat important, otherwise the anime might just turn into a cartoon comedy like SpongeBob (Although I like SpongeBob, I still find it hilarious). Comedy isn't a bad thing, but if I want to laugh I'll watch something I know is funny, and Pokémon likely isn't top of my list.
But I think the anime is doing alright so far, kind of too early to judge I suppose.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Exactly, there's little story going on in Sun and Moon. Hopefully there will be more after things are more established.

Back