• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Ratings

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
  • Hi hi yes we have SM 008 Ratings now.

Muh anime being outperformed by Yokai Watch and Shaun the Sheep.

I don't get a sense of doom and gloom though. Sort of like SM have been hovering around that point so it was always a possibility of dropping out the top ten.

Years
  • Figured Yo-Kai and Shaun was going to outrank again. Seeing Pokemon lose to the latter show of all things makes me know this saga seems to not be getting the target audience back like it first seemed to promise.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Figured Yo-Kai and Shaun was going to outrank again. Seeing Pokemon lose to the latter show of all things makes me know this saga seems to not be getting the target audience back like it first seemed to promise.

The new list is from 19-25 and Pokemon is on break that week, just like how Yo-kai watch was on break the week before that.

CidHazard

Years
  • did it... hmm...

My vacation is probably scrambling my brain. XD

Yokai watch recently aired a live action movie (That beat Star Wars!!!) the show has a rejuvenated hype surrounding it, while the initial hype for sun and moon has died down.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I think ratings for SM might pop up again because there are rumours of Serena returning during March (blergh, we've got five new characters, not including the adults to get invested in. If they do bring her back, pretty spineless move by bringing in fan service instead of relying on the SM characters IMO)

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I do think they should bring back some old characters for at least 1-2 episode appearances. The anime is coming up on its 20th anniversary, and 1-2 episodes won't hurt the development of the current characters.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I do think they should bring back some old characters for at least 1-2 episode appearances. The anime is coming up on its 20th anniversary, and 1-2 episodes won't hurt the development of the current characters.

Depends how they bring them back. Fan service for the sake of fanservice is bad.

Misty > Togepi thing, Gyarados fear, gym leader - decent (admittedly can't remember much)
    May > Wallace Cup, helped Dawn get through depression - good, aside Dawn beating May
    Brock > stale in ADV and DP - bad
    Dawn > no real reason - bad

The rumours are that she'll return as a travelling companion...which is going to completely overshadow the other characters, bar Lillie because of where it looks like they're taking Lillie's story.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    I strongly doubt the rumor of Serena coming back is true, at least as a permanent companion.

She's done, her arc is over. We've got new characters and Pokemon that need development now, there's no place for Serena.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Where exactly are these rumors about Serena's return coming from? I thought it was confirmed by her VA that she wasn't coming back?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Where exactly are these rumors about Serena's return coming from? I thought it was confirmed by her VA that she wasn't coming back?

I don't know...it's usually Amourshippers taking things out of context/grasping at straws...

1) Serena went to Hoenn, not Johto
    2) They wouldn't get rid of their moneymaker like that
    3) The girl from the games isn't present and her name is Selene which is pronounced as Serene
    4) Serena figurine being released in March even though you can buy it now
    5) XY Director confirmed in a recent interview Serena kissed Ash and they probably will be together
    6) 20th anniversary and Serena is the most likely girl to return because of it

it's all just...like stop yo. There is no narrative reason for her return. She's done. Poorly written character that should never return.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • 5) XY Director confirmed in a recent interview Serena kissed Ash and they probably will be together
    6) 20th anniversary and Serena is the most likely girl to return because of it

Aren't these two reason rather the very reason why Serena WILL NOT return in SM, whether it is for long-term or fan-service cameo?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Aren't these two reason rather the very reason why Serena WILL NOT return in SM, whether it is for long-term or fan-service cameo?

Precisely. It's going to be much easier to sweep it under the rug if she never returns.

Ratings for 26 Dec - 1 Jan are up but I don't think an episode aired so eh, another week.

CidHazard

Years
  • I love Serena as much as the next rabbid amour shipper... but she shouldn't come back... well not this soon anyway. Her return would only impede the growth of the very solid SM main cast.

And I doubt a small subset of japanese amourshippers would sway the ratings anyway.

Rick Gastly

Memes Straight Outta 2007
    Years
  • Again, people put too much stock in ratings. Ratings share= the percentage of viewers a show gets.

Ratings are dropping ACROSS THE BOARD. Pokemon XYZ had many episodes make the top 10 despite getting 3s. Some shows make the top 10 with ratings in the 2s on occasion. Even the top shows usually get around 8-10s, which was a 10th place show back in the day. People don't watch TV live much anymore, and that's a worldwide trend.

The ratings for XYZ thread was very disconcerting, with people claiming that the anime was over and that Pokemon was dead. Yo-Kai Watch's ratings aren't MUCH better! Even the highest ranked episodes only get in the 4s, which is around what the highest rated XYZ episodes got.

Plus, ratings are just for the Kanto region. One out of eight. Ratings being low there doesn't mean low everywhere.

Online reaction is a better metric for people claiming "JAPAN HATES THE ANIME NOW!". Unless you see people on Japanese forums saying "THIS IS GARBAGE!" It's safe to say that Japan has NOT given up on the anime.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    I strongly doubt the rumor of Serena coming back is true, at least as a permanent companion.

She's done, her arc is over. We've got new characters and Pokemon that need development now, there's no place for Serena.

Why don't we get rid of Ash while we're at it? If they're willing to get rid of everyone else, they should do the same with Ash and Team Rocket and bring in a new protagonist.

As the ratings stay low the anime is more likely to get cancelled. You figured that after middle fingering your audience with the Kalos League the staff would learn their lessons. But it seems that isn't the case.

CidHazard

Years
  • Why don't we get rid of Ash while we're at it? If they're willing to get rid of everyone else, they should do the same with Ash and Team Rocket and bring in a new protagonist.

As the ratings stay low the anime is more likely to get cancelled. You figured that after middle fingering your audience with the Kalos League the staff would learn their lessons. But it seems that isn't the case.

The likelihood of the pokemon anime being cancelled just because of low ratings is lower that hitting absolute zero with four sand attacks on you... If Pokemon game/merch sales ever tank it would mean the end of the anime and the series, but ratings don't really matter that much now anyway. It provides a good Ice breaker (As I was railed into the forums by a similar post :D)

Like most characters burned into pop culture… Satoshi/Ash is a character ingrained in Japanese media. So it makes sense that the show would use him as the mc. Tho, a new protagonist/cast who start a new series and have their arc end at finale of the said series would be better. Like The build fighter or Yu-gi-oh series…

I do agree that the Kalos league loss was a complete dumpster fire tho...

Oh and welcome to the forum dude!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 14, 2017
    It would be too early for Serena to return(which is very unlikely as well). And if she is coming back as a permanent character why don't writers add another bunch of characters as mains and overflood it?

Back