• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Direct (17/02/2021)

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Years

• What did you think of the Nintendo Direct from yesterday?​

I saw that a lot of people got disappointed, especially with Zelda skyward sword HD on full price. I mean, is it really HD? The thing looks exactly the same =|
    I get that a lot of us were also expecting to see news about Pokémon, but I think they are waiting to make the big announcements on the Anniversary day.

The only thing that really interests me is the Monster Hunter game, which I was already thinking about buying before. =)

Years
  • i only really care about the Octopath-esque game and probably Splatoon 3. everything else is meh.

every time they do a character reveal for Smash i kinda lowkey want to get back into it but.... then i don't. i see that being the same this time around since Smash is kinda boring solo and not many people i know really play it.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • People expect far too much from these, especially during a pandemic.

A few interesting titles in there, looking forward to seeing more news about Splatoon 3 in the next few months.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • Smash is kinda boring solo and not many people i know really play it.

Oh yeah. Smash seems to be this huge thing but I never meet people who play often!

People expect far too much from these, especially during a pandemic.

Aren't they reducing quality in general? Even before the pandemic...might be my skewed perception =S

Years
  • New Octopath game looks nice, so does Splatoon 3. Never played the originals but would be interested to try these!

Also those two detective games, World's End Club, and the new BD. ahh gonna have so much to try

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • It was pretty much 50 minutes of wasted time for me. Which is practically what I expected and knew would happen going into it. It's fine though. The actual important one is next week more than likely (Pokemon Day probably-Direct).

I mean I might try out Fall Guys since I keep on hearing too much about it. Also Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is technically in my backlog but the characters from that being in Smash is not something I honestly care about. Hell I've quit Smash at this point because 1, I've done everything in it that I've wanted to 2, I'm not good at it or fighting games in general and 3, there's just nothing for me to do with it anymore and all of the DLC is stuff I don't care about or want to try out.

So yeah. I mean Octopath Traveler is in my backlog too (again because I've heard too much about it and I tried out the demo and liked it) but the Triangle thing or whatever (I don't even remember it's name lol) is a tactical and I don't really like tacticals. Too convoluted and too migraine inducing for me. I'm making an exception for Digimon Survive because it's... well... Digimon.

So yeah I wasted my time with it.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Was pleased with it. Nothing big, but I will go over some of my highlights.

Smash bros announcement was great since I am more than happy having those two characters from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the game.

I've not played Octopath Traveler, but this next version of it looks interesting enough to consider.

A couple of indie titles were pretty interesting since I'm going for more of the smaller games as of late.

Finally a release date for No More Heroes III.

Nothing too much comes to mind, but I'd probably have to look it over one more time before I can make a definitive list. It definitely wasn't the best direct, but the selection was fine and some pretty cool announcements were made. All in all, it's probably a little below average, but not enough that I'd imagine it was bad. Especially, since I do think they're probably saving some of their harder-hitting titles for a later announcement or specific directions.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It wasn't really anything great for me. Most of the new stuff and re-releases I wasn't interested in.

The stuff for the 3 games that were in the Direct that I have interest in didn't really do it for me either. I've never played XC2 and don't really plan to, so I'm not inclined to get Pyra+Mythra in Smash Ultimate atm. I don't need DLC for Age of Calamity. Monster Hunter Rise I decided I was going to get months ago, we already knew the release date a while ago, we're not starved for footage on it, and ironically the new thing they showed is something I don't expect myself to like.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Only looks forward to Project Triangle Strategy, of everything there. Worries a bit about the job system. Played too little of recent Square Enix games to be familiar with their jobs. Remembers being lost during Bravely Default. Understood roughly what each job offered, but not how to fit them together. What job synergizes well with a job with Fly two turn moves? What job takes advantage of this job's debuff focus? Saw no clear answers. Ruined being able to plan and build characters (and/or be able to deviate from builds others came up with).

(Did not play/watch the demo. Might address this concern.)

Gives good marks to the Mario Golf game too. Introduced interesting features. Would not likely purchase it, however.

pkmin3033

This was a pretty mediocre Direct, although there have certainly been worse in the past. Going through the stuff that caught my eye and wasn't F2P or multiplayer-only garbage...

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is disappointing. Motion controls aside, I didn't care for this game much at all because it introduced several unnecessary and downright bad features that only got made worse in BOTW - stamina and weapon durability being at the top of that list. I'm very glad they gave it proper controls (not that they had much choice, considering motion controls only would have alienated Switch Lite owners something awful) but...well, yeah, I'm a victim of expectations here, because I was hoping for Twilight Princess/Wind Waker HD...and maybe Four Swords Adventures for a triple pack. Given that every other Wii U exclusive asides Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame are now on Switch, now seems like the perfect time for those two to make the jump, and the lack of announcement for these was...sad, really.

Samurai Warriors 5 fills me with glee, because I love the Samurai Warriors series. It's my stress relief fuel and I need more of it in my life. Spirit of Sanada was pretty great, and given that Nobunaga and Mitsuhide are infinitely more interesting than Yukimura, I have high hopes that this one will have a better narrative and the same mindlessly addictive combat. The only downside to this is KT's general greed and stupidity when it comes to DLC, but...eh, the package is usually complete enough by itself, and the Ultimate Editions they release usually have enough content to justify the purchase. Usually.

Monster Hunter Rise is filling me with more dread the more I see of it. The multi-monster battles look like an absolute clusterfuck, and...FFS, Rajang again. I also feel like this is going to have horrendously boring unskippable cutscenes in the same vein as Monster Hunter World and what Capcom fail to understand is that I don't care. I want to hunt monsters, and that is all I want to do. Not having a skip button in this day and age is downright backwards and just plain bad design. I have a nasty feeling this is going to be just as aggravating as World was for exactly the same reasons and whilst I will probably get some enjoyment out of it I really do miss classic Monster Hunter more and more.

Legend of Mana looks fantastic, although my optimism is tempered somewhat by the spotty quality the Mana series has had thus far. Secret of Mana - both of them - was pretty poor despite its reputation, and the Trials of Mana remake was let down by generally poor quality voice acting and combat that never felt quite as smooth as it should...it's better than, say, Oninaki, but it's a far cry from the Ys series. But I love every iteration of Final Fantasy Adventure, so I'm hoping it'll be more like that than other games in the franchise.

Famicom Detective Club I will definitely buy if the price is right...which it probably will not be for quite some time, but I'm impressed by the sprite work and interested to see what all the hubbub is about.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass I saw coming because of the datamines and I am not buying it. Not only because Age of Calamity was a terrible game that in no way did justice to Hyrule Warriors, but because the content they're adding to it looks pretty threadbare. This is a far cry from the original Hyrule Warriors, which had substantial FREE content added on top of the ridiculously content-rich season pass. Both times. It's early days yet I suppose, but...well, you can't do much with Breath of the Wild, really. Also, why isn't that new villain playable? Pretty poor form, honestly.

Project Triangle Strategy I will get because it looks pretty fantastic. I'm getting strong Tactics Ogre vibes from it, only with Octopath Traveler's visual style, and that's definitely a winning combination...IF it's done right. I don't intend to play the demo - I never do these days - but I will be keeping a close eye on it. They had me from the get-go with the posh as hell narrator, stellar soundtrack, and lovely sprite visuals. I was never NOT going to get this. High hopes.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection I will buy even though I shouldn't because Ninja Gaiden is bloody hard and I am just asking for it by getting them. But it's Ninja Gaiden! I've not played this series in years.

World End's Club has the most disgusting visuals possible but it's been fully dubbed by the sounds of it and the creative minds behind it make me want to pick it up when it rolls around. As long as it's nothing like Danganronpa V3, we're all good.

SaGa Frontier Remastered is yet another SaGa title I will buy and probably not play for months and months, haha. I own all of them now, and I still haven't started one of them. I will do...eventually. It looks good though.

So yeah, there was a fair bit I was interested in, but the amount of padding and outright garbage in this didn't make it feel much like a proper Nintendo Direct. More like an extended third-party Direct with a couple of bigger Nintendo titles thrown in for good measure. The number of F2P/online PvP titles added to this - and the amount of time spent on them - was pretty aggravating. Mostly because I don't like staying up so late and it was a colossal waste of my time. It didn't really live up to the 530 day wait between Directs, but then it was never going to do that, and all things considered it could have been much, much worse than it was.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh boy... more sword boys girls for Smash... just what we needed. ρ( ̄ヘ ̄ メ)

Monster Hunter Rise looks good but I hate to admit that the more of it I see, the more 'meh' I feel about it.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I was pretty satisfied with the direct, I felt like everyone was just gonna be upset by it but it seemed like that wasn't too common with people I know, a couple of the negative responses I saw from it was stuff I just expected. Things like the announcement of Pyra and Mythra for Smash, and once Skyward Sword HD got announced I figured people would be upset about it, some people were going off about wanting it to have been Twilight Princess.

Splatoon 3 and Monster Hunter Rise really appeal to me because I'm already a current fan of both series, but I think those were mostly just big announcements for the people who have been interested in those series already and would enjoy a new game. I'm glad Splatoon is still kicking around and will start to become relevant again since Splatoon 2 was a game I'd play daily. Monster Hunter Rise is a game I really like the look of and I'm excited to be able to play it with friends.

As for other stuff, it's not the kind of thing I'm too interested in but I know it has its fans. World's End Club is interesting because of its connections to Danganronpa, and Triangle Strategy (while it's not my kind of thing at all) will certainly get some hype from Fire Emblem and Octopath fans.

My favourite part had to be when they got Eiji Aonuma on screen to announce that they didn't have BOTW 2 news.

Years
  • This direct made me realize how many series are there for Nintendo that I had no idea about. I feel like I already knew about games I would be interested in before this Direct.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2021
    I was alright with the direct overall. I didn't expect anything huge since we are only two months into the year amidst a pandemic. I am excited that Skyward sword is coming to the switch as I didn't have the money to get a wii motion plus controller back in the day to play it on wii. I am bummed it is full price but this is not a new Nintendo business practice. If we keep buying into it as fans they have no reason to not be shady. There are rumors that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess will also be coming to the switch. I am hoping they at least put those in a double pack if they are going to charge full price but in all honesty they could charge full price individually and people will buy into it. Money speaks louder than complaints, and if people are willing to keep buying the product there is no reason for them to prioritize the fans. However if you have the money to pay full price for these older games, go for it! Personally I prefer to buy from others on eBay to at least get a discount even if it is only a couple bucks off.

Back