• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Media] Do you want to see more live action movies like Detective Pikachu?

Years
  • Was suddenly thinking about this movie again, and a thought sprung into my head - there are probably tons of different live action Pokémon movies that can be made. Would you like to see more? Anything you think would be cool as a movie? Or do you prefer the live action not continue?

pkmin3033

No, no I do not. Detective Pikachu wasn't awful by any means - it wasn't as good as Sonic, but it was better than basically anything else - but the realistic Pokemon are all kinds of nightmare fuel and I guess beyond that I just have a preference for traditional animation. I'd take live action over bad CGI like the Mewtwo Strikes Back redo, but that's about it.

Years
  • i'm not a fan of Hollywood turning everything live action these days. Pokémon look best when they're in 2D, and i believe there's nothing wrong if they stay that way.

Years
  • Honestly, I really liked the comedy and Pikachu himself in Detective Pikachu, but I think that was more because Ryan Reynolds himself carried the movie. I wouldn't mind one in a charming 3D style, but not sure how I'd feel about another live action unless it were directed and voice acted by people who can sell their character/the story well. It really depends on who they choose to cast. @_@

Years
    • Seen today
    Absolutely not! Pokemon and live action mix as well as water and oil. Furthermore, I think Detective Pikachu should've been animated instead of live action.

Years
  • Definitely! As long as Ryan Reynolds is still there :P

Still amazed (and sorta scared) about the Torterra mountain

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
    Years
  • I'd personally love to see another movie in that format. I think they did a great job with it, which doesn't always happen with these hit-and-miss live-action remakes these days. It would be super cool to see one that takes place in an actual Pokémon region.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd be down for it, if the execution is done right. Detective Pikachu gave me my dream of seeing Pokemon in live action, and I loved it. I wouldn't mind another, even if it's the worst thing ever. I personally wasn't bothered by the realistic looking CG Pokemon, but if they do another one, you know they can always experiment with other types of CGI styles. I highly doubt if we get something that is different from Detective Pikachu, they'd use the Detective Pikachu CGI. I'd imagine different live action Pokemon movies would try different CGI models, and it'd be cool to see.

Like, maybe they could do what they did with the virtual post malone concert, and use that cgi in a movie. As long as it isn't that awful Robot Chicken style cgi from the Mewtwo movie, I will take any style, any day.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 4, 2021
    I want to see more live action Pokemon movies, but I don't want them to be like a frequent thing. Also Pokemon Movies with different genres might be cool .

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I know Pokemon tends to be cartoony but ngl, I'd love to see another live action movie! Even with them being more realistic, they still feel charming and vibrant compared to being nightmare fuel imo.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I loved Detective Pikachu, but I'm on the fence as to whether I want more live-action Pokémon movies/a live-action Pokémon TV series or not. I guess it would depend on a few factors:
    -Pokémon in 3D being closer to their game counterparts and still looking like they could blend into the real world. Some of them looked straight out of the uncanny valley.
    -The tone of the story. I'd like it to be mature like Detective Pikachu, but if it crosses straight into Edgy (TM) territory, count me out.
    -Casting choices for the human characters, especially if they're canon characters from the games brought into live-action. Again, part of what made DP work was a near-impeccable cast, so they better pick fitting actors!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I did enjoy Detective Pikachu! It was fun to see Pokémon brought to theaters in America again… but the artist in me is always going to prefer good'ol 2D animation.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I would love to see more live action Pokemon movies, it would be awesome to see (sadly have not seen Detective Pikachu yet). One question, how big are most of the live-action CGI Pokemon compared to their human trainers?

Back