• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All dem ways to roleplays

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The term "roleplay" is actually pretty wide and can probably encompass anything between choosing which item to wear in Undertale, to writing stories together with other people, and dressing up in costumes and living a set of personality traits and a backstory out in a setting "irl".

What types of roleplaying have you come into contact with, and what have you tried yourself?

Do you see pros and cons (compared to other ways to roleplay) with the way we do roleplaying here on PokéCommunity?
    ^ which is basically creating original characters 99% of the time and writing text based novels together, following sets of rules under the guidance of a game master.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I've done D&D roleplaying as well as different types of text roleplaying and then live action roleplaying a little bit. The way it is on pc and other similar sites is more structured which is a plus, and there's more time to think out your actions as compared to irc or skype roleplay where people are waiting on you and can see if you're typing or not. so then if it takes you 5 or 10 minutes to reply to something you'll end up being left behind. same goes for d&d and larp. nobodies going to wait for you to make up your mind about which way you want to take your character. in larp if you dont just act on instinct then you lose. in d&d you don't really have a time limit, but nobody wants to wait for 5 or 10 minutes while you analyze and weigh pros and cons to things.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Well, technically, Pokemon is a role-playing game, so I guess that counts? Aside from RPG and MMORPGs, there's no other kind of roleplay I have tried and cannot think of anything else. I've wanted to play D&D for a while now but there's really no crowd here interested in those kinds of things.

I think PCs RPT is the most stable literary roleplay corners out there. I've tried the roleplaying corners of other pokemon sites and nothing comes close to what we're producing here.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I haven't really tried that many kinds of roleplaying aside from MMORPGs and story/text-based like the one we've been doing here (and whatever Ace Attorney Online fits into). It's pretty fun to do in MMORPGs, since the story is laid out and you just follow with your character. However I like in-text more because you get way more freedom in how you write.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Granted, outside of RPG video games I've only really tried RPing here on PC and it's probably rather obvious how much I love it. There's nothing quite the same as creating intricate worlds, characters and plotlines with other people and working them together into one big elaborate story. It gives me the sort of creative pleasure that other things just can't, even solo writing is less fun for me.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • even solo writing is less fun for me.

this is something I missed after being introduced to text-based roleplaying. I just don't find it exciting anymore to write my own story when, in fact, when I was a tad bit younger, I had a lot of stories going on. Now, I just miss the fact that someone might mess up my pristine world because of one post and bring my intended story 180 degrees away from its original direction.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Ha! I was just having this argument with a friend last night! Aside from RPG games, this site was my first experience role playing. What makes this better than other forms of RP(which I haven't explored much other than chat based RP) is that most RPs here are enjoyable years later. For example I am currently re-reading the first RP I was in since our role plays are pretty much novels.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • This was also the first contact I ever has with RP so I'm not really sure what the others are like and whether ours is better or not (though i would say it is ;) ) I just like how much more organized it all is and how each character is a small but important piece to the bigger overall story. Makes my characters feel special :)

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Cosplaying, like LARP, is a form of roleplay that I've dabbled in before. It's really fun but the downsides are cost and effort required to achieve the entire look of the character, plus it's not as easy as signing up and roleplaying with strangers.

I prefer forum RPing to Twitter/Tumblr RPing because the interface is user-friendly and cleaner, and without silly character limits.

PC's RPT is by far the closest community of collaborative writers and ideators I've come across and it's another reason why I'm sticking around ;3

Years
  • I find that in the way we roleplay here with texts and stories, a forum is by far the easiest way to do it. I've always disliked using things such as Twitter or blogs to roleplay, especially because those tend to have shorter posts. Longer posts that forums allow mean for more creativity and description.

As for other types of roleplaying, I actually like D&D quite a bit, although less for the actually roleplaying part of it. I do enjoy the story, but being placed in a situation with a few other people and having to fix it can be pretty fun, especially when dice get involved.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've played and really enjoyed RPG video games. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SW KOTOR Morrowind are some real gems<3 Other than that, I think me and my friends tried doing some D&D style RP of our own creation back in 5th grade and everybody wanted to be hobbits and I remember my friend trying to ride a horse and sew a new hat at the same time and we argued so much about how impossible that would be, despite whatever stats she had accumulated, but she claimed she could multitask because she was a female in the game... xD So. That wasn't really an authentic pen & paper RP experience, probably, haha. Maybe that would be fun though.

I really have no desire to dress up and do LARPing or cosplaying, maybe for a party if others also did it haha, like a masquerade.

RPing on PC, in this form of collaborative writing, is the main experience with roleplaying I have. It's also the form I enjoy the very most. Possibly because words are pretty. You are pretty. Our adventures are pretty. Pretty!

asdfdjkg <3

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I've played RPGs... but I never actually roleplay in them, like think of a character, think of their backstory and their personality, etc. I just pick whatever option I feel like at the time. In DA:I, it was sort of fun to do a bit of roleplaying with the character, but then I forget the character because I sporadically play video games.

Other than that and this I don't interact with other forms of RPing. This site certainly wasn't my first collaborative RPing experience.

Back