• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Too Offensive to Joke About

Years
    • Seen today
    Do you have any limits when it comes to humor?

I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to this. I think the main issue for me is that many times 'edgy' humor is edgy for the sake of it, not to genuinely be funny.

I did draw the line when I saw what was happening with Tik Tok on April 24th. A group of users had decided they wanted to turn April 24th into "National Rape Day", where they sexually assault as many people as people. Now I have no idea if this is meant to be funny or if it's legitimate, either way it's really gross and completely fucked up. Do stay safe to everybody out there.

Years
  • There's limits for sure, but it's hard to say where those limits are until you're in the moment. I'm pretty open to dark and fucked up humour. I think one of the best ways to cope with all the bad shit in the world is to make light of it. There's definitely a time and place though, and context is important.

Years
  • I have always disliked cruel humor, and don't want anything to do with people who get kicks on stuff like that. I find it shameful to joke about people who have disabilities. I won't be laughing about racist jokes either, nor do I find anything amusing about the Holocaust. I feel as a society it's best if we ignore content like this that's trying to get attention, and not patronize it.

As sickening as I may find this type of humor personally, from a legal standpoint, there is significant leeway to be a troll. I'd say where the line is crossed, and something is no longer satire or free speech, is when it involves threatening to commit an act of violence, which sounds like the case here.

A group of users saying that they are planning to sexually assault some women, and do it on this date, is not only not funny, but it sounds like they need to spend some time in a mental hospital, or a jail cell. Hurting someone's feelings is legal, but physically hurting another is not. Whether they were joking or not I think is a matter for the authorities to determine after paying them a visit.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A group of users had decided they wanted to turn April 24th into "National Rape Day", where they sexually assault as many people as people.
    ....brb, I'm gonna go end humanity rn

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    It takes a lot for me to be offended and to me I have more important things to worry about than what you have to say. Something else I tell people now after I had an incident happen at work. I don't care what you say to me because it takes a lot to piss me off but if you touch me then we'll have an issue.

I have people at work who crack jokes about me having pacemaker and how we had to have a demagnetizer put under the counter because of me. A couple joked that if I ever get out of line all they have to do is hold me down on the counter and turn on the demagnetizer. I said go for it but just remember you'll be the first ones I haunt when I die. They even said this to my Mom (when she was still around and would pick me up from work) and she looked at both of them and said Okay...so what's taking you so long to do it? Granted it won't kill me (how sad for them) but it's jokes like that that I point and laugh at and I could care less about. I don't find it offensive because I laugh right along with them. Not only that if they try and kill me then jokes on them they would ACTUALLY have to do their job...lol. Another one would be when I had my accident and flipped the car down the hill because of a seizure and came out pretty much fine and when we get irritated and bitchy and they'd say Oh go drive off a cliff and I'd say Tried that didn't work which is why I'm STILL here putting up with your shit.

People might find that offensive and mean...I just find it funny and laugh because I myself just don't care. I laugh and go that's all you got? It don't bother me and I could care less.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I've always had a soft spot for dark humor. Idk why my brain is built that way considering I'm an empath, but the "guess I'll die" memes always get me, haha. And, as a hard drug user in the 90s and being that weird alternative teach coat wearing girl selling LSD out of bandaid wrappers, I grew some pretty thick skin. I don't like Columbine, 9/11, Sandy Hook, etc jokes either, but there's nothing to be done to stop that so.. it is what it is.

My line gets crossed when people fuck with, tease in a mean spirited way, or outright insult the people I care about. Then Jersey Jo comes out and my vindictive inner 4-channer is unleashed. I don't enjoy putting others down, but you better believe I will defend my friends. That shit is too offensive for me if it's really hurting the ones I love.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • I rarely get offended at anything. I too have a soft spot for dark humor and it always gets the better of me when I expect it the least, but I have yet to get offended by anything. I've been bullied to death for years so I guess that aided in me just not giving a damn at anything thrown at me these days. After all when everything goes to shit, all I can do is laugh.

Ofc there is always a line, but that line has yet to be crossed... or perhaps the people im around with a lot just never seem to go further than said "line".

Years
  • 1. Using cancer as a joke or, like already stated, an insult.
    2. Using autistic as an insult. By the same token, using the word "retard".
    3. Slurs in general.
    4. Making fun of someone's looks or other things out of their control.

I've been bullied, threatened, attacked, anything you can name so most things won't bother /me/ in particular but these are things that I feel strongly about and I'm sure would hurt people quite a lot.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I will go against the flow here.

Jokes are meant to tie people of the same group together. You can make any joke you want around me. If I don't find a joke funny (e.g. the National Rape Day), then it means that I simply don't belong in that group.
    I believe that my feelings are relevant to no one but me and my close friends/family, so I don't need to be offended whenever I hear/read something from a random guy on the Internet that doesn't pleases me. I just ignore and move on.
    But maybe that's just a superpower that I have, I generally have a step back on everything in life, which allows me to be kind of insensitive to everything that's not "close" to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I will go against the flow here.

Jokes are meant to tie people of the same group together. You can make any joke you want around me. If I don't find a joke funny (e.g. the National Rape Day), then it means that I simply don't belong in that group.
    I believe that my feelings are relevant to no one but me and my close friends/family, so I don't need to be offended whenever I hear/read something from a random guy on the Internet that doesn't pleases me. I just ignore and move on.
    But maybe that's just a superpower that I have, I generally have a step back on everything in life, which allows me to be kind of insensitive to everything that's not "close" to me.

With the "National Rape Day", it's no longer a matter of finding the joke offensive or non offensive. There are people with enough depravity in the world who would try and carry this out. Most people this time are not offended simply by the concept of the joke on it's own, but realizing someone, or multiple people could be seriously harmed.

While I share some of your sentiments, I actually find people being concerned in this instance as a good thing. Nothing worse than people being harmed on April 24th because society turned a completely blind eye to the jokes. If it isn't a joke and there is somebody out there taking it seriously and intends to do harm, then unfortunately little can prevent it.

Years
  • I feel like some people are missing the context of "a joke". Using a certain word to insult someone isn't a potentially offensive joke, it's just being a dick.

Years
  • You're right v.v
    In the case of jokes:
    Fat jokes
    Ones that are making fun of certain religions, typically jewish or muslim people. I've heard a few and I just...people really do this in 2021
    Covid jokes, I can't believe I've seen these

Years
  • Not sure if necrobumping is taboo here, but I've been thinking a lot about this topic with the controversy with the recent controversy surrounding Dave Chappelle's netflix special. Sometimes I laugh at dark humor (although not so much anymore), but I'm aware that these jokes often come at the expense of others and I understand why and see that as concerning. So to me it's not so much my own feelings that matter, but about how the joke affects people and why it does. Like I don't belong to a social minority so I can't relate to the struggles of people who've had to face ridicule throughout their entire lives for being different and then have that exploited through humor for everyone to laugh at them. :/

I think there's still A LOT to discuss when it comes to what types of jokes are okay or not, and many comedians who are known for their dark humor and constantly trying to push the envelope a bit. For Dave (Who I DO find generally pretty funny btw), I think he believed he could get away with making fun of LGBT people (and especially transgender people) but because he said some pretty weird things -- like saying he's 'team TERF', siding with J.K Rowling etc it really rubbed people the wrong way and called into question how Dave truly understands/perceives the transgender community.

It can be pretty heccin easy to laugh at yourself, but when you face so much real oppression as a heavily marginalized group it could really sting when negative attitudes towards your group are normalized and recycled through 'comedy'. Because a joke is often more than just a joke, but a proposition. It makes you think things such as "This is how people really feel about me isn't it?" and it deeeeeefinitely feels even more that way when the comedian is on stage basically ranting about you.

Back