• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Do you plan to add more than 649 slots? :D

No. However, I plan to, at some stage, release documentation to go along with it which will pinpoint where and what you need to change in order to add more.

I've taken as many precautions as I could to ensure that there were as few limiters as possible, and that they would be easy to change.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
How could I add an effect to a pokemon's PID? Spinda's dots and unown's letters and wurmple's evolution all are affected by the PID. But how would I be able to check the PID and change the appearance of a pokemon? Gender differences to be exact.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Unfortunately I checked before and they only state 'controls visibility of an ITEM in ROUTE 1' for example.

At last, flags 300-4AF are not in his lists? Could that possibly mean I have close to 450 free flags?
And the same with 701-805. Or are these flags non-tested yet?

Don't screw with flags. They don't really work out well for you. A lot of flags and vars exist in the space in which other stuff, like PC boxes and other flags and vars are stored.

Also, the flags for items, did you check route 1 and see if the flag matches up to the item's flag there? They could be one in the same, in fact, that is what I was thinking when I sent you the link.

How could I add an effect to a pokemon's PID? Spinda's dots and unown's letters and wurmple's evolution all are affected by the PID. But how would I be able to check the PID and change the appearance of a pokemon? Gender differences to be exact.

STOP!

....and go learn ASM. That is the only way possible to do something like this. Almost all of your questions and stuff you would like to know so far require some sort of ASM. So, work really hard at it and when you think you can match Darth's or Jambo's skill, then you may be able to implement a system such as the one you just described.​

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Wait, I already know basic ASM, I just need to time to learn more. That's why I ask these things, to learn. Also I was asking because Jambo's Basculin thing does what I described, a custom call to change the appearance, but instead of using the PRNG I want it to check the Gender. Any thoughts?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Don't screw with flags. They don't really work out well for you. A lot of flags and vars exist in the space in which other stuff, like PC boxes and other flags and vars are stored.

Also, the flags for items, did you check route 1 and see if the flag matches up to the item's flag there? They could be one in the same, in fact, that is what I was thinking when I sent you the link.

Roger that thanks! I won't touch non listed flags. And the flags do match up correctly.

However I think I explained myself wrong. Is there a faster way of knowing what item the flag is? At the moment I'm using XSE to decompile and then looking up the item in giveitem, and if I want to obtain a hyper potion... well thats a lot of decompiling. Bulbapedia helps but I was just wondering if anyone has already taken the time to list each flags corrosponding item.

Does that make sense?

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
I've run into an issue with trying to change Professor Oak's sprite in the intro using unLZGBA. I've followed the correct steps word for word, and my rom booted up fine so I did everything right, I believe. Yet, when I start a new game on VBA, the sprite hasn't changed period and yet when I go back into unLZGBA, the sprite is indeed different.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Wait, I already know basic ASM, I just need to time to learn more. That's why I ask these things, to learn. Also I was asking because Jambo's Basculin thing does what I described, a custom call to change the appearance, but instead of using the PRNG I want it to check the Gender. Any thoughts?
No idea should I recommend doing so or not (because stealing itself is wrong), but you could always track down Jambo's routine and use it by your own means (either credit him or build your own code similar to it).

Then where it does some gender check, you replace that part with "using the PRNG".

Not difficult at all once you've got;
1) Some programming experience with machine languages / Thumb asm
2) Know where you possibly have to look for / store data during the process (debugging helps)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
My questions got skipped.

How do I make a certain Pokemon behave like this:

When a ball is thrown and you successfully catch it, you keep it.

When a ball is thrown and it breaks out, it will flee.

Is there a possible way to do this?

And does anyone have a copy of the ASM code they used in the Legit Patch for FR? I wanted to "investigate" it.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
i don't know if this has been answered
but whenever i try to edit advanced text i get these weird symbols on A-text
[&HC2DD][&HDDAB][&H3F] [&HCDE3][&HE3E6][&HE6E6][&HE6ED][&H3F] [&HE8E3][&H3F] [&HDFD9][&HD9D9][&HD9E4][&H3F] [&HEDE3]....
does anybody know why this is happening?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
[&HC2DD][&HDDAB][&H3F] [&HCDE3][&HE3E6][&HE6E6][&HE6ED][&H3F] [&HE8E3][&H3F] [&HDFD9][&HD9D9][&HD9E4][&H3F] [&HEDE3]....

You may have overwritten some important data. Possible causes:

Longer Text but A-Text didn't repoint.
Originally a long text, you made it shorter. Inserted another data right after it then made your short text longer.

But those are just my guess.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
You probably won't to start with a fresh rom, or at least get into the habit of frequently making backups.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
You may have overwritten some important data. Possible causes:

Longer Text but A-Text didn't repoint.
Originally a long text, you made it shorter. Inserted another data right after it then made your short text longer.

But those are just my guess.

It happens when I load a clean pokemon rom into A-Text as well so i don't think that's really the issue for me....
Pretty much after I load A-Text, the window on the right loads with those weird symbols whenever I load a text. I seriously don't get this....

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
It happens when I load a clean pokemon rom into A-Text as well so i don't think that's really the issue for me....
Pretty much after I load A-Text, the window on the right loads with those weird symbols whenever I load a text. I seriously don't get this....

Well what offset did you load? It could help by writing those down here. All hex has equivalent values.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
The text offset (Hex) is 2C897B, according to A-Text
and i'm trying to hack Pokemon Emerald.

I don't know why but it's perfectly fine for me. Have you made progress with your hack? If yes, I'm sorry but you'll have to restart your Hack from scratch again. :(

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
I've run into an issue with trying to change Professor Oak's sprite in the intro using unLZGBA. I've followed the correct steps word for word, and my rom booted up fine so I did everything right, I believe. Yet, when I start a new game on VBA, the sprite hasn't changed period and yet when I go back into unLZGBA, the sprite is indeed different.
On second thought, I've run into a new problem.
Now, I tried indexing the image over and over again using IrfanView, but each time I load the indexed image into unLZGBA, it tells me the image ISN'T INDEXED.

I don't get if...If I'm doing everything right to index the sprite, why is unLZGBA telling me this?

Edit:
I've figured out a lot more with what's going. Apparently, dragging my clean sprite over the indexed version to clean it up screws it and makes un-indexed somehow. I'm able to export the sprite ig I don't clean it up, but the sprite is all pixely, and the changes don't happen with the rom when I load it into VBA.

Also, if I do load the edited sprite into unLZGBA, export it and then switch to a different image and back to Oak...image is Oak again.

Edit 2:
Fixed the indexing problem and managed to successfully replace Oak's sprite...except, when I boot up the rom, he's still...Oak. Damn it. Even unLZGBA reverts after I exit or exit and return.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

Code:
if (genderRatio != 0xFF)
{
    if ((PID & 0xFF) < genderRatio)
    {
        return female;
    }
    else
    {
        return male;
    }
}
else
{
    return genderless;
}

That's how gender is calculated in the Gen 3 games. When you use actual ASM to implement such checks, it is sadly very clunky and long winded.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
On second thought, I've run into a new problem.
Now, I tried indexing the image over and over again using IrfanView, but each time I load the indexed image into unLZGBA, it tells me the image ISN'T INDEXED.

I don't get if...If I'm doing everything right to index the sprite, why is unLZGBA telling me this?

Edit:
I've figured out a lot more with what's going. Apparently, dragging my clean sprite over the indexed version to clean it up screws it and makes un-indexed somehow. I'm able to export the sprite ig I don't clean it up, but the sprite is all pixely, and the changes don't happen with the rom when I load it into VBA.

Also, if I do load the edited sprite into unLZGBA, export it and then switch to a different image and back to Oak...image is Oak again.

Edit 2:
Fixed the indexing problem and managed to successfully replace Oak's sprite...except, when I boot up the rom, he's still...Oak. Damn it. Even unLZGBA reverts after I exit or exit and return.

It doesn't "revert", you just put the sprite in a different location. You need to change the pointer to the old location to the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back