• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
This kind of thing is not that easy to search for, so I apologize if it's really obvious, but...

Is there documentation on switching types of moves (e.g., Dark, Dragon, Poison) from physical to special or vice versa in gen 3 games?

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
If I read correctly, move split types weren't introduced until Gen IV so all types were either defined as physical or special for all of their damage dealing moves. I haven't seen many tutorials on introducing the Gen IV move type split so you may have to do extensive research, or something.

-----
I figured out how to change a trainer's sprite finally by importing the sprite using unLZGBA, noting of the new sprite's offset (using FreeSpaceFinder for an free space offset to store it in) and of the offset of Professor Oak's sprite in the intro and then going into a hex editor and changing the pointer of the default sprite to the new one.

I was able to import the sprite, write it to the rom, change the pointer, etc without any problem. Yet, when I boot up the rom, Oak's sprite hasn't changed at all. I even tried it with a fresh base rom, no luck with that either.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
No, I meant that I wanted to switch all Dark moves from special to physical, or all Poison moves from physical to special, etc.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Is there a way to import the exact very old BGM from 1st and 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen? I can convert the following into mp3 and turn it into midi but it is not going to be exactly the same that I wanted to be.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Still, the gen IV move type split and switching all moves of a certain type are pretty similar methods. You could do either, really.
What I'm getting to is...
I tried looking for what you specified, nothing in tutorials or R&D. Although, I could of sworn I saw a gen IV move type split hack in Gen III research thread in R&D a couple of days ago, if that helps.

@yozzyurubuza: My only hunch there is to use a tool to export the music files (maybe as raw), MAYBE convert them, and re-import them into a Gen III rom, with a tool and/or hex editing.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
No, I meant that I wanted to switch all Dark moves from special to physical, or all Poison moves from physical to special, etc.

One solution, though unpretty, requires the P/S Split, so patch it on to your FR/Em
Then, just assign all Dark moves to Physical, and all other moves to their rightful type special thingy.
It's quite simple actually.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
Surely there must be a simpler method, though? Given how the types themselves are assigned a certain physical/special identity, then I would assume that there is some overarching mechanism, table, etc. that determines whether all moves in a certain type are physical or special. But I mean, I might just be wrong here.

While I'm at it, I have another question: is there any way to set a certain map's weather to strong sunlight by default? The setweather commands only seem to include weathers that induce rain or sandstorm.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Code:
if (genderRatio != 0xFF)
{
    if ((PID & 0xFF) < genderRatio)
    {
        return female;
    }
    else
    {
        return male;
    }
}
else
{
    return genderless;
}

That's how gender is calculated in the Gen 3 games. When you use actual ASM to implement such checks, it is sadly very clunky and long winded.

Could you explain that to me please? How exactly would I call this and make sure a certain pokemon does this instead of them all?

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I want some help. I tried hacking Ruby now. I tried to edit the trainer backsprites in NSE. I changed the palette in APE, the image in NSE and it looks fine in NSE, But when I test it in the game, the palette is screwed up.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
I want some help. I tried hacking Ruby now. I tried to edit the trainer backsprites in NSE. I changed the palette in APE, the image in NSE and it looks fine in NSE, But when I test it in the game, the palette is screwed up.
I'm actually having the same problem with Red's sprite in the intro of FR, along with that I can't replace Oak's greyscale sprite in NSE while I can with Red, Rival's, the girl, etc.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Surely there must be a simpler method, though? Given how the types themselves are assigned a certain physical/special identity, then I would assume that there is some overarching mechanism, table, etc. that determines whether all moves in a certain type are physical or special. But I mean, I might just be wrong here.

No, there's not. It's a straight up compare, and the types are organised such that Physical is under 8 and Special is over 9. You'd have to rewrite the code entirely, or even just add an extra compare, to wholesale set Dark to physical, or any such change.

While I'm at it, I have another question: is there any way to set a certain map's weather to strong sunlight by default? The setweather commands only seem to include weathers that induce rain or sandstorm.

If you're talking about FR, this weather type is actually broken, it doesn't work (crashes the game on use).

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm following both Links and Jambo's tut on adding new flight spots/healing places but when ever I try to test this when I white out I get a black screen. Everything seems to be followed correctly, i can heal in the center. I have set the healing place to 0x15 but this doesn't work still.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I'm actually having the same problem with Red's sprite in the intro of FR, along with that I can't replace Oak's greyscale sprite in NSE while I can with Red, Rival's, the girl, etc.

So have anyone found any way to fix it? My problem is only for Ruby because I inserted the backsprites as well as the Intro Sprites in DR2 so it not for FR.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
So have anyone found any way to fix it? My problem is only for Ruby because I inserted the backsprites as well as the Intro Sprites in DR2 so it not for FR.
Still having the issue of a messed up palette but I opened up a separate but fresh FR rom with NSE, only to find it wouldn't let me replace the greyscale intro sprites with my own. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it might be the way I'm making my custom intro sprites greyscale.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Still having the issue of a messed up palette but I opened up a separate but fresh FR rom with NSE, only to find it wouldn't let me replace the greyscale intro sprites with my own. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it might be the way I'm making my custom intro sprites greyscale.

Its better to not use NSE for Intro sprites. Just use unlz-gba for them. You can VM me if you want to know the whole process of inserting.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Like LaDestitute, I use Paint.NET.

But of course, GIMP is good, and Photoshop is good for tiling.

But here's a link to a Standalone Windows XP version of Paint, which support indexed images very well:

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
Okay, I managed to successfully change the intro sprites using unLZGBA+APE, but in-game, the palettes of Oak/Hero/Heroine/Rival are all messed up...so I'm back at a dead end.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Just wondering... Is there a way to increase the number of blocks in Tileset 0 by AdvanceMap? AdvanceMap's block editor does support increasing tileset sizes, but does not seem to be able to do so for the primary tileset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back