• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is digimon better than pokemon? and does the newer pokemon look like digimon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I got angry when someone online post about why digimon is than pokemon, also does some newer pokemon starting to look like digimon like erternatus and they are the same people who also says the are running out of ideas also.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A lot of the time when people say "A is better than B!", they're just confusing their subjective opinion for objective fact. Not that there can't be some objectivity mixed in, but don't worry about it much, today's world gives people far more than enough to feel upset, angry, etc. about to make wasting energy on differing opinions on video games and such even remotely worth it.

though you do seem to have a bit of an odd obsession with how other people view Pokemon, especially if negatively

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    You can't really say something is better without having some kind of metric, and like Nah said, there isn't really an objective metric on which franchise / game / character etc. is better. All you can do is make subjective judgement calls.

I wouldn't say modern Pokemon looks like Digimon if only because there isn't really a cohesive design decision on what a Digimon is. Like, the Digimon space can span from "dinosaur" to "girl doing a vampire cosplay" and it's perfectly plausible that either one would digivolve into the other.

Really, the similarities between the franchises start and end at "game where you collect monsters to battle and turn into other monsters. the world 'evolution' is thrown around as well".

Best thing you can do is just ignore the comparisons and go around your merry way.

Regarding the design thing, I think it's just a combination of most common ground already being trod (in Gen I you had Pokemon like "carp", "goldfish", "crab", "palm tree" and "ball", you can't really do simple concepts like that again in Gen IX without some kind of change that will make the designs "more extra"), artist evolution, trend shifts and new influences.

Years
  • It's just some person's opinion. It's full of subjective things the writer values, but someone else might not.
    People presenting their opinion as a fact or a truth is hardly uncommon on the internet lol
    As annoying as it can be at times =p

I've never played Digimon nor watched it's anime so I can't really say which is actually better.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're both pretty cool imo.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • They're both fine in their own ways. But, the Digimon anime has better writing than the Pokemon one. But, from a game perspective, I cannot say. I've never touched the Digimon games, so I'm not allowed to have an opinion on something I've never touched. Both franchises are pretty different from one another, imo, and I don't really think either is truly better than the other.

Years
  • Both okay, but I'm definitely more invested in Pokémon. I've watched Digimon as a kid in the late 1990s/early 2000s but nowhere near as much as Pokémon, and have sadly never played a Digimon game either. :( Do know the themes are slightly more mature though, and they're not afraid to let their characters age + show how they've grown over time. I do wish Pokémon would do that sometimes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm mean there is gligar13 the troll
    Who says digimon is better than Pokemon and
    The games include and I heard the Pokemon company making bad games and they are starting to look digimon.

pkmin3033

Let's be honest: yes it is, but it'll never get recognised for that because Pokemon came first and in the minds of many whoever does something first does it best and is the only thing that can/should be acknowledged for doing it, and Digimon has long been seen as a "clone" of Pokemon despite the fact that it was never acutally intended to be a competitor to Pokemon, it started life out as a series of Virtual Pets. It's an apples and oranges comparison that has grown in the minds of the masses as a direct like-for-like comparison due to coincidental similarities. Really, all the two actually share is that they both focus around children with monster companions and they both gained prominence in the 90s, there the similarities end. Completely. Watch the anime, play the video games, play the card game, and you'll realise just how completely different the two are.

Outside of the designs of the monsters themselves, I would say Digimon is superior in every other aspect to Pokemon. The games have an actual narrative to back up their substantial gameplay, which itself is generally better designed in terms of its systems and flexibility in approach to evolution and team building, and the anime is generally better for its character development and lack of excessive filler and general tedium - although this is a difficult thing to compare because Pokemon is a long-running franchise that has to reset at the start of every generation, and Digimon can start afresh with a new cast every 50 episodes or so. Going back to the monster designs...that's very much an apples and oranges comparison to me. Pokemon can't do complex designs without making a complete mess of them, whereas Digimon can, and some of its best monsters are the ones with excessive detail. Although it definitely takes this too far with X Digimon; you can barely tell what the damn things are sometimes. But Pokemon's most memorable designs, the simpler ones, are absolutely fantastic. Whilst I don't like regional forms, I also think they're a lot better than the straight-up palette swaps that Digimon has. I mean, the whole BlackAgumon line is great and all, but...god, there are so many, and they're so unnecessary and forgettable.

Digimon also proves the point that a franchise can acknowledge that its original fanbase has grown older and cater to them and younger fans WITHOUT losing its identity, something Pokemon has always struggled with. It's a franchise that has matured with its audience, but still carries that appeal to a younger generation of fans. I've seen all kinds of excuses made for Pokemon games retaining their simplicity, but...well, Digimon just destroys all of those excuses by virtue of its very presence. It's just bad game design, plain and simple.

But I look at the two as completely different, and I like them for different reasons. I like Pokemon because it takes me back to my childhood and because it never changes; there is comfort in familarity and I know exactly what I'm getting with the franchise, I don't expect something different. I like Digimon because its matured with me, and it has themes and games that appeal to me more now that I'm adult and can appreciate things I would have hated as a child. Digimon is more in-line with my current tastes in video games and anime; it provides a more substantial and fresh experience. Comparing it to Pokemon wouldn't be fair, because the two fulfil different functions in my life. But between the two, looking at how they've aged, I would say Digimon is substantially better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    also when was the last time anyone played Pokémon for the plot? lol. the Digimon Adventure games may be poorly paced and inconsistent, but at least they held a narrative.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I never really cared for forced plot in Pokemon games. For me the exploration part is more important. It has taken a little bit of a backseat position ever since GF decided to incorporate a story into the games which is unfortunate imo. I do agree that Digimon games usually have a better story (at least the ones I have played). The systems I don't really care about either. That's because I don't play competitive. I do, however, remember grinding a lot more in those Digimon games. As much as many people complain about the Exp-Share in Pokemon making stuff too easy, I never really agreed with that sentiment.

For me it boils down to Pokemon doing some things better while Digimon does others better.

Same with the designs. But it sure is true that Digimon has a lot of palette swaps...

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Let's be honest: yes it is, but it'll never get recognised for that because Pokemon came first and in the minds of many whoever does something first does it best and is the only thing that can/should be acknowledged for doing it, and Digimon has long been seen as a "clone" of Pokemon despite the fact that it was never acutally intended to be a competitor to Pokemon, it started life out as a series of Virtual Pets. It's an apples and oranges comparison that has grown in the minds of the masses as a direct like-for-like comparison due to coincidental similarities. Really, all the two actually share is that they both focus around children with monster companions and they both gained prominence in the 90s, there the similarities end. Completely. Watch the anime, play the video games, play the card game, and you'll realise just how completely different the two are.

Outside of the designs of the monsters themselves, I would say Digimon is superior in every other aspect to Pokemon. The games have an actual narrative to back up their substantial gameplay, which itself is generally better designed in terms of its systems and flexibility in approach to evolution and team building, and the anime is generally better for its character development and lack of excessive filler and general tedium - although this is a difficult thing to compare because Pokemon is a long-running franchise that has to reset at the start of every generation, and Digimon can start afresh with a new cast every 50 episodes or so. Going back to the monster designs...that's very much an apples and oranges comparison to me. Pokemon can't do complex designs without making a complete mess of them, whereas Digimon can, and some of its best monsters are the ones with excessive detail. Although it definitely takes this too far with X Digimon; you can barely tell what the damn things are sometimes. But Pokemon's most memorable designs, the simpler ones, are absolutely fantastic. Whilst I don't like regional forms, I also think they're a lot better than the straight-up palette swaps that Digimon has. I mean, the whole BlackAgumon line is great and all, but...god, there are so many, and they're so unnecessary and forgettable.

Digimon also proves the point that a franchise can acknowledge that its original fanbase has grown older and cater to them and younger fans WITHOUT losing its identity, something Pokemon has always struggled with. It's a franchise that has matured with its audience, but still carries that appeal to a younger generation of fans. I've seen all kinds of excuses made for Pokemon games retaining their simplicity, but...well, Digimon just destroys all of those excuses by virtue of its very presence. It's just bad game design, plain and simple.

But I look at the two as completely different, and I like them for different reasons. I like Pokemon because it takes me back to my childhood and because it never changes; there is comfort in familarity and I know exactly what I'm getting with the franchise, I don't expect something different. I like Digimon because its matured with me, and it has themes and games that appeal to me more now that I'm adult and can appreciate things I would have hated as a child. Digimon is more in-line with my current tastes in video games and anime; it provides a more substantial and fresh experience. Comparing it to Pokemon wouldn't be fair, because the two fulfil different functions in my life. But between the two, looking at how they've aged, I would say Digimon is substantially better.

So are the digimons games are better than Pokemon?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A number of Pokémon could pass for Digimon, but that's nothing new. I even thought Blaziken looked like a Digimon when it was revealed for Gen. III. I used to hate it for "not looking like a Pokémon," but now it's probably my favorite fully evolved Starter in terms of aesthetics.

From Gen. VIII, I personally get more of a Nickelodeon vibe than a Digimon vibe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    Imo Pokémon does some things better, but Digimon also does other things better. Which one you consider better is for you to decide.

Back