• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Easiest Gym Types?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    we have a thread on the hardest gym types and I'm an uncreative piece of shit so here's the opposite topic for ya

Which types have usually been the easier ones to handle in the sries?

The first one that comeds to my mind is Rock. It's typically found early in the games, and it has a bunch of weaknesses, most notably to 2 of 3 starter types.

Years
  • I'd say Rock, due to the fact that they are usually the first Gym and two of the starters have a type advantage against them. Grant's probably the only one who's even a notable challenge due to his team's unique type combinations.

Bug and Grass Gyms are usually easy as well, especially since it's easy to get a Flying-type early in the game.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • rock seems to be the prevailing first gym even though it actually can be quite tough if you choose a fire starter. i wonder if mitigating that is one of the reasons so many fire starters tend to get fighting as a secondary type when they reach their second stage.

Years
  • rock seems to be the prevailing first gym even though it actually can be quite tough if you choose a fire starter. i wonder if mitigating that is one of the reasons so many fire starters tend to get fighting as a secondary type when they reach their second stage.

I think this is most likely why Torchic and Chimchar gained Fighting-type when they evolved, so that every starter can have an advantage.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Rock and Ground especially if those two are dual-type which makes far easy and quick or anything that have no or little coverage which makes easy

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Besides the ground/Rock gyms, I've found Grass and Ice type gyms to be among the easiest gyms in the Pokemon world. With weaknesses to such common Pokemonin Flying and Bug types, Grass type gyms are an absolute cakewalk. As for Ice, it has so many weaknesses to common offensive types such as Fighting, Rock, and Fire. You are bound to have one of those types as a player by the time you reach the latter gyms or E4. Now an early Ice type would be awfully hard but since that seems incredibly unlikely at this point, Ice has become one of the easiest gyms. Not to mention it also heavily reliant on type combos to be of any challenge to the challenger. Even the combos typically only mitigate one or two of Ice's weaknesses while adding multiple others.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • i never struggle with bug gyms so i'd have to say those. rock gyms are pretty easy too considering how your grass or water starter can take them down with no trouble, especially early on in game.

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    Rock gyms are always easy, as are Fire gyms. Both types have way too many common weaknesses to be threatening on a mono-team. I almost said Water gyms, but Crasher Wake always provides a challenge.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • The dragon or ice gyms were always the easier ones for me :O

Mainly because they are usually situated at the later routes, meaning that you would've obtained most of your team to gain a type advantage, and the game makes you think that dragons are undefeatable ;)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I suppose all the games do typically have at least one early-game Electric-type available. I think starter types (Fire, Water, Grass) are more common and easy for the second Gym rather than the first, because by then you've typically found and trained up a Pok?mon that can type-trump it even if battling with your starter isn't conducive to doing so.

Years
  • Fire, they happen to be at the point of games when you have Surf, so ;p (excluding Flannery, but even she is easy with just another water type)

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2018
    Idk. I replayed Platinum Enhanced (basically Platinum but sort of a hard mode) and Bertha (i know i know elite 4) actually gave me a lot of trouble because my only offense against her were Rotom-W (who was electric/ghost, NOT water, and only had Hydro Miss) as well as Infernape's Grass Knot.

If anything I'd say the easiest gym is Grass because Flying-types generally have an easy time against them, and birds are easy to get early-game. Staraptor also tends to make pretty much any gym leader a piece of cake lol. Imagine if it had Reckless in gen 4...

Back