• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Could you live without a cellphone?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I've seen laptops that look like leaflets in terms of size. I've recently decided to switch from PC to laptop and while I bought a faster one just the other day, I got another one for far less that is just average in terms of age and performance for just general business use; and it's akin to a brick. I could use it as a weapon if I needed to.
So the concept you paint of being able to text and actually use a laptop on your 'lap' still seems very foreign to me.

How big is yours?
It's pretty small, about a 12-inch display - I bought this for school back in college, so portability was important to me since I intended to carry it around a lot.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It's pretty small, about a 12-inch display - I bought this for school back in college, so portability was important to me since I intended to carry it around a lot.

Is it still sturdy despite being so tiny?

You don't look too big yourself, so I'm trying to imagine that too; if it was a huge heavy brick for you.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Is it still sturdy despite being so tiny?

You don't look too big yourself, so I'm trying to imagine that too; if it was a huge heavy brick for you.
It fits on my lap alright, and it's physically sturdy enough even though it's pretty thin. Not a great machine though, to be honest, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with its size - it's the Surface Pro 4 and I've had quite a few problems with the hardware. I had the original Surface Pro and that served me well for many years, but this generation in particular seems to have a lot of problems and known issues among its users.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It fits on my lap alright, and it's physically sturdy enough even though it's pretty thin. Not a great machine though, to be honest, but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with its size - it's the Surface Pro 4 and I've had quite a few problems with the hardware. I had the original Surface Pro and that served me well for many years, but this generation in particular seems to have a lot of problems and known issues among its users.

Was it new or refurbished or just totally used?

I spent a pretty penny on a pretty powerful medium sized one for gaming, since I'm ditching the PC I had, but if I ever just needed one for general work, I'd rather go with the cheaper basic model I have. Out of fear of placing something so expensive in danger, etc.

Honestly, it's a godsend I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, otherwise I couldn't use laptops at all. I literally wouldn't be able to put it on my lap if I wanted to because of that necessity. Instead a prefer a nice little workstation... almost like a PC so I can use them.

I can make due, but when I'm writing or actually needing to put effort into something, I could never use its built in inputs.

And I've pretty much heard since laptops came out, putting them on your lap is a bad idea anyway. :X If you know what I mean.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Was it new or refurbished or just totally used?

I spent a pretty penny on a pretty powerful medium sized one for gaming, since I'm ditching the PC I had, but if I ever just needed one for general work, I'd rather go with the cheaper basic model I have. Out of fear of placing something so expensive in danger, etc.

Honestly, it's a godsend I can plug in a keyboard and mouse, otherwise I couldn't use laptops at all. I literally wouldn't be able to put it on my lap if I wanted to because of that necessity. Instead a prefer a nice little workstation... almost like a PC so I can use them.

I can make due, but when I'm writing or actually needing to put effort into something, I could never use its built in inputs.

And I've pretty much heard since laptops came out, putting them on your lap is a bad idea anyway. :X If you know what I mean.
Brand new! That's the worst part, I've had it 2-3 years tops but it's been giving me so many problems since I got it (the flickering screen is so common, users have dubbed it "Flickergate").

I would prefer a PC for gaming and am looking to build one, but I still need a portable laptop for work so yeah, I agree getting something cheaper for that would be ideal.

The one good thing about Surface Pros in general is the hardware is in the screen part of the machine and the "keyboard" is just a typecover, so I don't think it's as damaging on your lap as regular laptops since only the kickstand and typecover rests on the surface.

But anyway, we should probably stop derailing the thread from the original cellphone topic. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
If it wasn't for the constant paranoia of something happening, like getting into an accident, running out of gas, or something like that, I think I could definitely live my life without a cellphone.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I am legit curious to know why you bring this up as a reply to my post. My post was directed more towards emergency situations and requiring a cell phone, not privacy. You could still get along fine with just a feature phone, really.
With the discussion regarding smart technology (in particular, smartphones), and the point you made regarding "roadside call boxes and payphones are not an option anymore", I simply made the connections regarding the societal direction this seems to be going. However, if I went further regarding this, it would possibly reach beyond the scope of the discussion at hand (hence my disclaimer: "that's a whole other discussion").

Other words, I was thinking (too) big for the moment.

My point was just that I technically could live more or less the same as I do now, since my laptop can have the functions of my phone anyway, haha. It wouldn't be as convenient for sure, but doable, and that include carrying it around everywhere (although I do bring it with me most days to work anyway, so it wouldn't be a huge change in lifestyle).

Texting in the bathroom isn't something I find necessary, but again, if I had to, that would be doable too.
I was being facetious with you; no worries on my end. :wink-right-eye:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Yes, absolutely. I've done it before phones were widely available, and I can definitely live without them.

Though I'm quite sure that some external services will still insist that you own one.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I definitely could, but is it really worth giving up the convenience of being able to talk to my family and friends? Probably not.

Darkpoké0011

User of the Dark-Type
Years
The society we live in now, the majority of people you know use a mobile phone, almost constantly. It's grown to be a part of a lot of our lives, more than just something we use (as sad maybe and as worrying as that sounds) to use a mobile phone is to stay connected and when I don't have access to mine I do, somewhat, feel shut off from the world. People feel so much further away and I feel uninformed as to what's going on in the world.

Could I physically live without my phone? Yes.
Would it be living comfortably? I couldn't say it would.

Years
I think I could but life would be a lot more boring. I like the distraction of my apps.

I do make daily phone calls too, so it's important.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Hmm can I live without a Cell Phone? Answer is yes because I've been living without one my entire life! End result is I don't get called at obscure hours, don't get obscure or x-rated text messages and I don't get tracked by the NSA, FBI or any Cellphone provider who then sells my whereabouts and daily activity to the highest bidder without my consent. Can't stop ISP's or Google from doing that same crap unless I completely stop using their programs. Is it stone age lifestyle? No its not because I grew up in a time when Cellphones didn't exist. Seriously if I asked someone 10 years younger than me what a Rotary Phone was, they'd be like... huh? Same deal with a Payphone.

Maybe people will wise up and realize that Technology has reached the point of Big Brother and will rightfully snatch their privacy and liberty back.

pkmin3033

Very easily - I have a small crappy phone that I don't really use. I could certainly replace it with other things if I didn't have it, anyway. I can't justify the expense of a smartphone and have no particular desire for one anyway. I'm practically living without a phone already.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
I would not be able to at all :/ because in school i like to get on it. Wont affect me at home though since i dont get on it there.

Verrtly

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 3, 2019
This is part of my life. Therefore, I can not without this.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Probably not since I rely almost fully on my phone to communicate. I could honestly live without mobile games as I haven't played any in ages but I know there are a lot of mobile apps which help make my life easier (notes + photos) which would be hard if I don't have them on me. But mainly having limited communication is why I'd do very badly without a phone :')

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Yeah, definitely. My cellphone isn't like a vital organ or something. I'd probably take a while to adapt with a new lifestyle though. :P

Years
Good question.
Spoiler:

I'm going to say fuck yes because smartphones are an atrocity and cellphones are only good for when you want to tick off someone at home.

Back