• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
  • Snivy's pretty good, Oshawatt's line just seems Random, but I can't say I hate it. I'm ok with the overall design of the tepig line, but not moveset so much. There are some pokemon that make me just go "lolwut?", like Vanilluxe (I just think that's hilarious for some reason), and there are others that are like "wow, this design is pretty good.", Like Snivy's evo line.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • It may just be the design in B/W. If I see Scraggy in the anime I may like him more. I just don't like the face he's making; it's like :B.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    Whimsicott
    1st its cute
    2nd its a mean physical tank
    3rd its ability's
    4th its speed
    5th its cute

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
  • I gotta say, I only just had a look at them but my favourites are Minccino and Zorua atm. I have a thing for cute weak Pokemon and then trying to make them really strong. Its more of a challenge that way. Although im thinking i might try and go a particular type this time around. Dark maybe?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Tornadus, Thunderus, Landorus. I mean, come on. They all seem to have the same base sprite, just a recolor and change of tail and other minor details. All of the other trios had stuff in common - Mesprit, Azelf, and Uxie had 2 tails and similar body shape, but they were in different poses. Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres were all birds with similar shapes as well. But this BW trio... they're all in the exact same pose. Exact same... couldn't they have thought of something different?

Kyurem doesn't really bother me. I think it's kind of cool, actually. Ducklett, Rufflet {two "let"'s?}, and Vullaby make me laugh. They all are tiny with fluffy heads. {Except for Vullaby, whose fat, but still makes me laugh)

Now, Gothita, Gothoria, Gothitelle, and Meloetta. They look like people, not Pokemon... looking at them makes me think: "Gamefreak's run out of ideas so they've had to resort to making humanlike Pokemon?"

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years
  • thats nothing new though...I mean Jynx and Mr. Mime were gen 1 pokemon and they are practically human anyways. I have to agree with you on theTornadus, Thunderus, Landorus. It just seems really lazy to me. It was the same with the legendary dogs though.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Now, Gothita, Gothoria, Gothitelle, and Meloetta. They look like people, not Pokemon... looking at them makes me think: "Gamefreak's run out of ideas so they've had to resort to making humanlike Pokemon?"

I really don't like Gothita's line. I feel like they just took Ralts' line and threw some black gothic clothing on them.

Chadlington

Aka Will Vailencourt
    Years

• I really don't like Gothita's line. I feel like they just took Ralts' line and threw some black gothic clothing on them.

Agreed...terrible....terrible. It would be good if they made it like the Nidoran male and female lines. Good and evil. Meh.

Is anyone else LOVING the Deerling line?? So clever! Although again...does anyone remember Stantler?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • DEERLING! is my favorite of this generation :D It's so clever and so cute! I can't wait to catch it and raise it for my team!

Tympole should look like an actual tadpole... not a tadpole with cancer :c At least that is what it looks like to me.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I think everybody takes an immediate dislike to the new Pokemon whenever a new generation comes out, then we eventually come around.

Just because the negativity seems to be dominating at times doesn't mean that "immediate disliking" was/is true for all Generation V Pokemon (or any new generation of Pokemon). I actually took an immediate liking to Zoroark, Reshiram, Zekrom, Tepig, Wotter, and Snivy when I first saw them. It's just personal opinion upon first glance, though opinions can change over time... It's entirely possible (though somewhat unlikely) for people to take an immediate liking or disliking to all the new Pokemon upon their revelation.

Furthermore, the passage of time does not necessarily mean people will become accustomed/used to the designs and/or names of the most recent Pokemon. I'm still at odds with the color schemes of Crimgan and Sazandora, primarily because I've gotten sick of it being overused for past generations.

Really? D: But they're both bent over and have short arms and the same angle kinda opposite... the poses! D: I just think their designs are similar, making them ~similar~ in design. I wish Crimgan stole someone else's design. Not saying it has something to do with the trio, though. XD Cause obv Kyurem fits within this trio.

First off, WTF, people?! Like 5+ images of Kyuremu on the same page?! Of all Pokemon, that is the one I'm trying to avoid spoilers of the most! T_T

Anyway, yeah...when I "glimpsed" Kyuremu, Rampardos instantly came to mind. I have a feeling when I permit myself to look at the full artwork and sprites, Kyuremu will end up looking much, much cooler, with me getting slightly irritated every time I see Rampardos from then on.

On another note, this piece of artwork has ramped up Daikenki's coolness significantly for me:

536px-Unova_starters_evolution_artwork.png

A freaking quadrupedal samurai otter that can fight with a bipedal stance as well! And it sheathes its twin swords in its elbow guards. The only thing I still have a problem with in Daikenki's design is the helmet shell. It just look like a three-year-old collected a random shell on the beach, slapped it on Daikenki's head, and added irregular spike placement because Spikes of Doom = Rule of Cool, or something.

I hope more people post in this thread when BW is released...it's so small compared to the old one... :(

Last edited:

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • Like: Liepard & Audino! Lovely pokemon.

Dislikes: I find some of the Pokemon really silly looking (and well, not Pokemon-ish);

cofagrigus.png

o__o

klink-detail.png

Come on... Magnemite was bad enough!

Nameless.

A lot of people seem to have problems with the inanimate object Pokemon of B&W. XD;
    I really don't see anything wrong with the creepy sarcophagus or the spinning gears. I actually kind of like them. Despite not being covered in scales or fur, they have a charm to them. <3

I gotta say that Desukan's face is a little freaky, though. XD;

Comokanu

Glitch Hunter
    Years
  • Symbolar really impressed me. I even thought of trading my Emboar on GTS for it!

Crimgan was awesome, but really needed an evolution.

Desukaan looks kick ass too.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I really wish Serperior was bipedal! It is one of the coolest Pokemon this gen but the fact that it lost it's legs bothers me. Samurott gained a lot of point from me after I saw the artwork of it on its hind legs. It reminds me of Swampert (My fave starter from Gen 3) in a weird hard to explain way. Whismsicott is the most adorable thing. As well as the green blob with only arms from White.

Am I the only one who thinks that Pidove (and its whole family) is ugly? I mean look at em! They look like someone beat up and downgraded Starly. Cubchoo is a disappointment to me. All these years waiting for a polar bear pokemon and this is what we get? I think the big icicle hanging from its nose is what deters me. The legendaries are meh. Minus Reshiram none of them look especially cool. Tympole is ugly but its final evo looks pretty cool.

Future_Chaos

Obsessed with Eelektross
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Gen V seems to have the best Pokemon ever and the ugliest all crammed together, imo. :U Well, anyway:

Likes: Daikenki family, Serperior family, Eelektross, Reshiram, Krookodile, Zoroark, Blitzle, Swanna, Leavanny, Lilligant, Archeops, tons more.

Dislikes: Kink family, Garbodor, Sawsbuck, Emolga, Jellicent, Alomomola, Beeheyem, Cryogonal, Stunfisk, tons more.

I judge on Pokemon design-wise, I couldn't care less about their stats. :B

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Like: Liepard & Audino! Lovely pokemon.

Dislikes: I find some of the Pokemon really silly looking (and well, not Pokemon-ish);

cofagrigus.png

o__o

klink-detail.png

Come on... Magnemite was bad enough!
    Cofagrigus is one of the best designed Pokemon, IMO. As for Klink, yeah, I agree it's too much like Magnemite.

Gilgαmesh

Cofagrigus is one of the best designed Pokemon, IMO. As for Klink, yeah, I agree it's too much like Magnemite.

While the design may be impressive, I'm not necessarily happy at all with it's battle animation. u__u; Just a thought I'd throw out there.

Nameless. said:
    A lot of people seem to have problems with the inanimate object Pokemon of B&W. XD;

I don't necessarily have a problem with any pokemon specifically in B/W; I've gotten used to the gears except for their possible cheesy name, as well as Cofagrigus(this name doesn't make things easier on me as well, but eh, thats not the point).

If there's one pokemon's design that really bother's me the most though, it's Kyurem's design. Despite how big of a fan I am of Ice Pokemon(well usually, anyway), this one really doesn't strike out much to me, and it just bothers me more and more I look at it. I can understand in a certain perspective that it may look awesome, but the wings just...bother me, and I feel that some aspects of it's body could've been done a lot better...

Back