• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Breeding

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    No, but I never really did anything outside of the main campaign, tried for a National Dex completion or took part in the in-game competitive scene which are more or less the only reasons I can think someone would breed.

Although I can see the people who were super into Stadium / Stadium II doing a lot of breeding. They were famously hard if your team weren't well put together.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I used to breed quite a bit in Crystal, was actually one of my favourite things to do besides hitting the slots in Goldenrod...haha.

Years
  • i literally only breed whenever i have a ditto because i can't be bothered to memorize the egg groups lol. i didn't breed stuff at all in GSC, but have done a bit in later gens.

one distinct goal i remember was to get Volt Tackle onto a Pichu because i saw it in the anime and i just had to have it.

Years
  • I never owned original GBC games since I was to young when they were new but when they came out on the 3DS Virtual Console I got Gold, played through it and even did some breeding after beating the game. I heard about the "shiny parent" Gen 2 breeding so I decided to try it out with the shiny Red Gyarados and a regular Lanturn, after about 25 Eggs I managed to hatch a shiny Chinchou. Then a few weeks later I wanted to do it again and get a shiny Remoraid but after more than 40 Eggs without a shiny I decided to stop since Gen 2 breeding was to slow and boring compared to the later Gens. I haven't done any Gen 2 breeding since then.

Years
  • I bred in these games, but mostly to get mons I didn't have yet! If I did this more often (and with the shiny Gyarados that everyone gets) I'd probably have gotten a lot more shinies in gen 2 since the rates would have been quite high haha. But kid me had other priorities

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I did. It was mostly to get all the baby Pokemon for the Pokedex, though. I didn't even know that competitive existed back in the day. I didn't even know about DVs and EVs until a couple years ago. xD

Years
  • I have half a dozen chikorita stored on my Pokemon Stadium 2 with leech seed. I started playing Crystal recently and wanted to breed a pineco with pin missle but I'm studying and decided I couldn't trust myself to play for just an hour a day at most and deleted the file. I needed to train a beedrill to level 30something.

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I used to love breeding in Gen II, I used to spend hours running in circles through Goldenrod City picking up and hatching eggs..

I have little patience for it now, especially with how long it can take to hatch some of them, so I mostly just use the ACE Coin Case method to just make whatever I need for Stadium 2 out of copies of Pokemon I already have.

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • Something I always remember about Gen 2 breeding is that I read Staryu could get egg moves in Gold and Silver despite being genderless, but it was corrected in Crystal. I never tested it though.

Also, Tama Hero made a very cool video about breeding in combination with Stadium 2. The Dodrio tower makes it faster, but there's also a trick to tell if an egg will hatch a shiny in Stadium 2's PC. So instead of hatching them, you just load up your PC with eggs and release any that don't give the indicator

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I mostly bred Pokémon in Gen II to obtain Pokémon I didn't have in other games. I completed my Pokedex in Blue, Yellow, and Crystal.

I tried breeding for a shiny Cyndaquil, but got bored after 20 eggs. Biking up and down Goldenrod was repetitive. I never unlocked the Dodrio Tower for GSC, but that would have helped immensely.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've never actively bred pokémon in my life, and back when I played Gold I didn't even realize it could be useful beyond a cute little lore thing d: It was a cute gimmick to have to breed to get the baby pokémon, sure. But I'm not a completionist so I just never aquired those haha.

Years
  • I didn't know about breeding Pokemon when I was trying to complete my Pokedex. After a long time I saw a video that shows a shiny breeding guide thing to obtain a shiny shuckle. If I'm correct,it includes using mimic or some move from gen 1 and a ditto and stuff. And after a few minutes I obtained my first leggit shiny Pokemon through breeding.

Back