• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Have you, or do you plan to, complete the dex?

Years
  • I'm working on catching all in the Sinnoh dex at the moment.

I tend to go through one at a time in order, although if there's one I can't get a hold of right now (only appears at certain time of day, wait for honey trees, etc), I move on to the next while I wait and come back to it, or go back to it the next time I play.

For starters, version exclusives and trade evos, I've actually had very good results using this:

https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl-trade-codes-1705424/

With that, I've usually gotten a trade within a few minutes waiting. Basically someone has came up with a bunch of link codes for everyone to use for common trades. So these are real trades with real trainers (not some strange hack or something xD).

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I have, as of yesterday, finished my national dex! Well, not including Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus. Not sure why I wasn't able to get Mew, I most definitely played LGPE, and although I don't have my copy anymore I don't see why I would have deleted my save data - but apparently I must've. No matter, though. The shiny charm is still mine! >:D

This is the third game I've gotten the shiny charm in, after I started doing it in Ultra Moon and Sword. To be honest though, I'm not really sure why I even did it this time. I do sometimes shiny hunt through Masuda method breeding, and I'm gonna have to for a bunch of shinies I want this time around so it is gonna be helpful for that, but the first thing I did after finishing the dex was start Radar chaining, which I could've done at any point beforehand.

Don't mind me, just how my brain works I guess.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I am slowly but surely working my way through the National Dex. I'm glad that some Pokemon, like Munchlax, have become a bit easier to get- makes it a less monumental task.

For starters, version exclusives and trade evos, I've actually had very good results using this:

https://www.dexerto.com/pokemon/pokemon-brilliant-diamond-shining-pearl-trade-codes-1705424/

With that, I've usually gotten a trade within a few minutes waiting. Basically someone has came up with a bunch of link codes for everyone to use for common trades. So these are real trades with real trainers (not some strange hack or something xD).

Are there certain times of day where people are more likely to show up, or am I just doing something wrong? Most of the time those rooms are empty when I try to find a trade partner. In addition, there don't seem to be options for certain permanent trades (Magmortar for Electivire, for instance).

Years
  • I'm working on catching all in the Sinnoh dex at the moment.

I tend to go through one at a time in order, although if there's one I can't get a hold of right now (only appears at certain time of day, wait for honey trees, etc), I move on to the next while I wait and come back to it, or go back to it the next time I play.

That's really interesting! I'd have tried it out if I didn't have friends who could help me get exclusives. Does seem like it can be hit or miss given the above response but it's cool that it has helped some people out.

I will probably try to complete the dex for the shiny charm. As a shiny breeder it is a must have. :D

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • Completed the Dex pretty easily! Very possible if you don't skip any trainer fights at all! :)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • No I don't plan on completing the Dex this time around. I can't see myself playing it very much once I do post game stuff. I have a Living Dex on Pokemon Home, so if I do, I will just transfer all 493 pokemon over and then back to Home.

Now for the Sinnoh Dex, I did finish it. The only pokemon I didn't have was Drifloon and I just adjusted my time on my Switch and caught one to finish it. But it was the only one other than Lake Trio that I hadn't seen.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    Not really, my plan is to just playthrough this game to pass time until Legends Arceus arrives :)

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Idk, I've kinda lost interest in completing the dex after Platinum. Probably because I'm an adult now and have far less time for gaming, but the magic seems sorta gone for catching them all. I'll probably just Nuzlocke the game and be done, although it'd be cool if I got the sudden urge to complete the dex! Do they make it easier than the original games in BDSP (beyond the exp boost for quicker evos)?

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    Currently have 85 hours logged in and 317 captured critters to my credit. My biggest problem is finding moon and water stones. For some reason they forgot to load them into the underground for my copy of BD. I've excavated enough to get almost every legendary in the park yet I've not found a single MS or WS.

Years
  • Yes, I'm going to try. I've never completed the pokedex before in any of the games since I started playing Leaf Green/Fire Red when I was a kid. I have gotten close with Lets Go Pikachu though.

Years
  • I haven't, and I won't be trying to. Once HOME is supported, I'll import my living Dex for the data, and put them back into HOME. It bugs me that it takes so long for them to introduce HOME support each time a new game rolls around.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I won't even bother. I got so many other games and responsibilities.

In my headcanon, my char beats the dex after I stop playing

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm taking the "Erika Approach" for dex completion, just as I did for Sw/Sh.

What is the Erika approach, you may ask? Well, it all stems from this line from Erika after you defeat her in R/B/FR/LG:

"I would never collect Pokémon if they were unattractive."

Basically, I'm capturing every Pokemon except the ugly (in my opinion) ones. Still working on it, and also while trying to dodge the ugly National Pokedex ones.

JDragon921

THE gen 4 guy. or not. idk.
    Years
  • I've had 2 completed save files, so all that I gotta do is just get on the grind in the underground and follow some swarms, all that good stuff. I'm already on my way there, but I stopped playing so I can complete the gen 5 games for the first time. Never finished either of the games, so I just beat Black tonight and I'm about to start White 2. Replaying Ultra Sun too. I hope I finish everything before Legends Arceus comes out, but I was going to beat BD and SP again with Turtwig and Piplup respectively, just cuz. Just gonna be doing Pokemon stuff now and probably for the whole year.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2023
    YES! and i did it yesterday, pokebank and pokemon home differently helped.

Back