• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen ...Erm, what is his name again??

Years
  • So what did you name your rival? Red and Blue were the first Pokemon games that let you name your rival, and it could be anything you wanted.
    Did you name him after another person? or maybe their canon name? Perhaps even something different? Share!

pokemon-rival-name-e.png

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • I named him after my brother until gen 4 when I started giving him the actual canon name of the rival lol

Years
  • Mostly I call him Blue, but when I was younger, I named him after my friend Dominic. Sometimes (during some challenges) I just pick one random name from the list.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Initially Gary, then any kind of cussword. Going back to RBY makes me remember how fun it is to have the liberty to name your rival whatever you want.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I used to give him immature or stupid names (probably the best of those was "Tuna" - don't ask) but I've recently taken to just naming him stuff off of the list. In Gen I, I usually pick "Jack" or "John", and in Gen III, I usually pick "Kene" or "Geki".

Years
  • Ah, so I'm not the only one named them something really inappropriate/childish when I was younger haha :P. I just name him by his canon name, Blue/Green most of the time right now.

On a side note - did you guys know that in the Red/Blue beta, the default names for Red and Blue were "Ninten" and "Sony"? Just a little fact back then with Nintendo's rivalry against Sony.

Last edited:

Miah

╮( ^ ∇ ^")╭
    Years
  • I named him B****H♂ then named myself B****H♀ when I was really pissed one time when I was young {XD} too bad I lost that save file lol rip. Nowadays, I just name him Gary :>

Oh I heard that somewhere before :o along with more info about the betas

Last edited:

Tak

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2017
    I just cheap out and call him Gary xD Or The opposite version of the one I'm playing (I usually play Blue and name him Red).

Guest123_x1

In Blue, which had long been my primary game for Generation I, I named the rival after my cousin that first got me into Pokémon, since he has been a "rival" of sorts for most of my life.

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • I name him Blue.
    I do not understand why people call him Green? In the manga Green is a third character... or am I missing something?

Back