• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Donald Trump's Administration Picks

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Thought i'd make this topic because there's not really anywhere else to talk about them.

What's everyone's thoughts on the people he's picked so far? I'm curious if anyone sees any of the people he's chosen as a positive.

For my perspective:
    Thurfar his appointments consist of choosing a man deemed too racist to be a judge is his attorney general, a white supremacist is his chief strategist and an awfully Islamophobic man fired for incompetence from his last job- and widely bipartisan-ly viewed negatively -as his national security adviser (Who has taken money from foreign governments and written op-eds for money from foreign powers, and has chosen his conspiracy peddling racist son as head of staff)

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    While Steve Bannon has called himself a nationalist (an economic one at that), there isn't proof of him being a white nationalist except for the association fallacy and claims with no backing (such as his ex-Wife). Just because he's a CEO that made a news site that panders to the alt-Right doesn't make him alt-Right. A CEO's only job is to make money for his company's investors; he isn't racist because one of his editors decided to call someone a renegade jew or because of a group of people that drink his website's news articles like Kool-Aid. This same logic would dictate that Bernie Sanders is a Marxist-Leninist due to him visiting and staying at a kibbutz spearheaded by Marxist-Leninists in Israel. Please take the accusations from media sources with a grain of salt unless they can prove it through other means, such as leaked e-mails, etc.

And I will say this; I do not necessarily agree with him putting up Bannon as a chief strategist. The guy seems heavily incompetent and was probably only hired because his shitty news site kept on spewing Trump propaganda all over Facebook and for the fact that he doesn't seem like a civic nationalist. But I digress.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    While Steve Bannon has called himself a nationalist (an economic one at that), there isn't proof of him being a white nationalist except for the association fallacy and claims with no backing (such as his ex-Wife). Just because he's a CEO that made a news site that panders to the alt-Right doesn't make him alt-Right. A CEO's only job is to make money for his company's investors; he isn't racist because one of his editors decided to call someone a renegade jew or because of a group of people that drink his website's news articles like Kool-Aid.

I'd disagree with you saying that he can't be associated with the views published by a news site he headed, but claims by his ex-wife about things he's said seem more credible than other accusations, and his praise by groups like the KKK (Including David Duke, specifically) lend a lot of credence to it.

I think chairing a news site running racist/homopohobic/sexist articles associates someone with that kind of garbage as much as it implies agreeance with those views

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Bannon's job is to maximize profit. He cares more about profit than what the website publishes. In fact, thats what Breitbart sells.

It means that he can be associated with the website's views, but its really only a conjecture at the moment. I think more evidence will be necessary.

Years
  • Whether or not he himself really believes these things is irrelevant if you ask me because he's still largely responsible for allowing the continued production of biased, awful propaganda-ridden news that spreads hate for various minority groups and reinforces the agendas of the alt-right. As far as I'm concerned spreading hate for the sake of profit is just as bad as spreading hate because you actually believe that ridiculous crap. "I did it for the money" should not be considered a valid excuse.

The validation of discrimination in the US continues courtesy of the Trump administration.

User19sq

Bannon, Giuliani, Mnuchin, and many more? Is this a presidential cabinet, or a Klan rally?

I really feel that the track records of those appointed, or even potential candidates, speak volumes. The only saving light is Mnuchin, who's good with money, but makes Trump a hypocrite for blasting Clinton for her Wall Street ties before appointing one with more ties than her. This ain't looking good.

Years
  • Whether or not he himself really believes these things is irrelevant if you ask me because he's still largely responsible for allowing the continued production of biased, awful propaganda-ridden news that spreads hate for various minority groups and reinforces the agendas of the alt-right. As far as I'm concerned spreading hate for the sake of profit is just as bad as spreading hate because you actually believe that ridiculous crap. "I did it for the money" should not be considered a valid excuse.

The validation of discrimination in the US continues courtesy of the Trump administration.
    This is a two edged blade here. Many could argue that many groups on the left are just as bad, if not worse, than the stuff on the right. I mean, you have people out there advocating for black lives, but say death to cops. What's worse is that some of these groups stir up so much rhetoric that it costs people jobs unfairly. Remember the shooting of Michael Brown? The thug that robbed a store and tried to take a cop's gun? Well, the cop isn't a cop anymore, and the left still claims Michael Brown is still innocent despite video footage of him robbing some poor store clerk. This of course, doesn't imply that this is related at all with your views, but based on if someone held these views to one side, and not the other, of which I would then bring questions. Personally, I don't watch Breitbart.

Where's the person that said Trump is pro LGBT because none of his cabinet choices sure are lmao!
    Just because his picks aren't does not mean that he isn't. It's more of a wait and see attitude I suppose. Do you think they'll attempt to repeal any of their given rights? I would argue that to be PO suicide. If we're playing that game, Hillary still admires her racist, KKK leader 'mentor' if we're going to wade into the muck.

Who knows what's going to happen? Really? Politicians change based a lot on PO, so going against what is already widely accepted to the public is . . . not wise. If you get the spot, you're typically supposed to follow orders and go with your cabinet's best interest in mind. . .

James Mattis is tapped for Secretary of Defense. A waiver will be required to let him, but I think that having a Marine as SoD would be better than what we have currently. We have a Harvard Physicist as the Secretary of Defense, and not someone that actually worked with the field they're supposed to be supervising. I think now we have Kendall, but that won't matter much now.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • And, despite it all, I'm still more concerned by Trump himself. Like- he hasn't been inaugurated yet, and he has already spat on China's face by holding a conversation with the President of Taiwan. I know he can argue that he literally has no clue about politics, international relations and geostrategic issues, but I don't think that excuse would actually be the sort of a US President-elect should be making. Otherwise, if he knows what he is doing, he's essentially calling for all-out political war on China, which is certainly the kind of thing the world needs right now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    This is a two edged blade here. Many could argue that many groups on the left are just as bad, if not worse, than the stuff on the right. I mean, you have people out there advocating for black lives, but say death to cops. What's worse is that some of these groups stir up so much rhetoric that it costs people jobs unfairly. Remember the shooting of Michael Brown? The thug that robbed a store and tried to take a cop's gun? Well, the cop isn't a cop anymore, and the left still claims Michael Brown is still innocent despite video footage of him robbing some poor store clerk. This of course, doesn't imply that this is related at all with your views, but based on if someone held these views to one side, and not the other, of which I would then bring questions. Personally, I don't watch Breitbart.

This is literally nothing beyond "WELL, neonazis and bigots can be JUST AS BAD as people on the left, for example here's a strawman" and doesn't even adress anything about what we're talking about here, in regards to Trump's picks. The issue isn't that they're "right wing" (Even if that's synonymous with a lot of negative things nowadays) the issues are what's been lain out on the various awful things they've done or are known for

Just because his picks aren't does not mean that he isn't. It's more of a wait and see attitude I suppose. Do you think they'll attempt to repeal any of their given rights? I would argue that to be PO suicide. If we're playing that game, Hillary still admires her racist, KKK leader 'mentor' if we're going to wade into the muck.

"Just because he's filled his cabinet with homophobic people and put them in places where their homophobia can be used to repeal rights, and instil laws/stigmas against gay people doesn't mean Trump's homophobic"

This video from Matt Baume is a pretty in-depth explanation of the past homophobia of each pick and what they can do from their positions, beyond repealing rights or whatever.

(Also on Hillary: What? Beyond that not being relevant in the slightest, i'm 99% inclined to believe that isn't true)

I don't know what you mean by "PO suicide" considering it's literally on the republican mandate to repeal marriage equality, and almost every one of the politicians Trump's picked have in the past and very recently tried to repeal it, or otherwise hempen it

Who knows what's going to happen? Really? Politicians change based a lot on PO, so going against what is already widely accepted to the public is . . . not wise. If you get the spot, you're typically supposed to follow orders and go with your cabinet's best interest in mind. . .

When the cabinet is pretty unanimous in being homophobic, and the vice president is very homophobic, and the president has no idea what he's doing and is easily manipulated, I think there's going to be more than """following orders"""", even pretending those orders won't be bad to start with

James Mattis is tapped for Secretary of Defense. A waiver will be required to let him, but I think that having a Marine as SoD would be better than what we have currently. We have a Harvard Physicist as the Secretary of Defense, and not someone that actually worked with the field they're supposed to be supervising. I think now we have Kendall, but that won't matter much now.

Someone who's an Ex-marine doesn't necessarily mean they're a better secretary for defence than a politician is, especially when they're islamophobic?

He's also someone who's said allowing gay people to serve openly in the military weakened it, and has given heavy indication that he's both against women being able to serve and transgender soldiers being able to serve, so

Years
  • Someone who's an Ex-marine doesn't necessarily mean they're a better secretary for defence than a politician is, especially when they're islamophobic?
    Once a United States Marine, always a United States Marine, so the saying goes. The next bit you won't like, and it might actually burn more than a few bridges with others here, but hey, still me.

Well, they say bingo way his name-o, so since you brought it up, it's free range chicken so far as anyone's concerned. . .

James is rather ingrained on how the military actually works. Having someone who actually knows the procedures on how the DOD functions and has been a part of that for several decades is perhaps a better choice than a Harvard Physics professor, right? That's all I'm saying. I didn't say he's "the best of the best of the best sir!" but rather more geared for the position as opposed to his two predecessors. Considering Ash Carter has no field experience whatsoever, I would put money down that Mattis knows more about the Defense network than Carter does. I'd take a look at the rap sheet. Mattis is a leader and a soldier, Carter is not. Carter is a politician, and when politicians hand down orders the grunts grind their teeth. Putting him in this spot may actually alleviate some tensions, and since Gen. Mattis has discipline he can suck up his own beliefs and try and do what's best for his countrymen and not for himself and do the job without outwardly slapping some Arabian King in the face with 'harsh language'.

Besides, being 'Islamaphobic' doesn't mean someone hates all Muslims, Arabians or Middle Eastern peoples. Considering the vast majority of global terrorist attacks are claimed by Islamic extremists I think you'd get soggy of having to deal with the same group of people (Islamic extremists) day in and day out. I might even be lumped in this category. I don't appreciate how the Islamic religion treats 50% of the population and I don't appreciate a lot of what is accepted in a handful of countries handing down Sharia law. I've made my standing on this very clear. You could be any color or individual and practice Islam. I've seen it before, it's been on the news, it's easily researched at the fingertips.

Also, it would be prudent to point out that I wasn't creating a 'strawman' as you put it, but rather would hope someone would rather steer away from potholes such as 'these people are violent' while ignoring the BBQ fire in their back yard. You can't sit and say "look! Look over there! Pay no attention to the puny man behind the curtain!" and expect it not to raise eyebrows. Calling out both sides as wrong is perhaps the most correct stance to take. Regardless of what you might think of Trump, he did go on record saying he does not condone said behaviour.

Now, no one from the opposite side has done the same. Whether it was true (what he believes) or not doesn't take away this fact. He said to stop whatever violence his supporters were doing, not encourage it. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Trump won? People stopped calling bullshit and threw up smokescreens to detract from what has really been happening and calling fire where there is none. The tides are shifting the other way my friend. People are beginning to become really fed up being called bigots, sexist, racist, Islamaphobic- and let's touch base on that once again. Islamaphobia. Islam is a) not a group of people b) doesn't have feelings, as it isn't alive and c) should be able to take whatever criticism is dished their way the same way everyone else takes their shit pie and eats it.

You cannot be protected and lavish insults and outcries of false oppression and not expect some kind of reform. There isn't some magical shield that allows Islam a free pass to walk through the proverbial religious TSA and not get screened for it. There are more radical and Islamic extremists around globally. This is a widely accepted fact. Are there other religious extremists? Yes. Not claiming there isn't, but trying to wipe away whatever it is that someone does time and again isn't winning anyone any favors, it in fact irritates them.

"Oh, it's not that bad. . ." from Germany, Bosnia, Belgium, France, the United Kingdom, nearly every single country in Europe has been hit within this year! I am growing extremely tired of explaining to people that Islam doesn't need your help or defense. It's a thing. An object. Do I care if people insult my beliefs? No. I don't have any. Have I been harped on it time and again? Yes. Still don't care. The issue is not the majority, no. But the 'minority' is extremely active, loud, obnoxious, boisterous, and most of all lethal. What other enemies do we have to face right now? Who exactly should we fight instead of Islamic extremist groups? Russia? China? North Korea? No, of course not. So, do we go rooting about the globe for new bad guys? Of course, sure. We do that all the time. But which is currently the greater threat as of right now? We don't stop looking for domestic terrorists, no. That's why we have seperate government agencies for this.

Arguing for someone's right to behead bodies, display the corpses in public, prohibit free speech and oppress 50% of the population,more even, because you must take into account the LGBTQ community, the 'opposite' of their beliefs (based on belief A versus belief X although it all falls under Islam) is ludicrous! Are you stating that I should be 100% alright with Islam? Should I not care if people die or are oppressed or murdered for drawing cartoons? If you cannot say "this is bad because X" then that is the very definition of oppression and the start to fascism. I will not be told that I cannot hold my own beliefs and speak my mind because it hurts someone's feelings, sorry. I call warring Islam one of the most ongoing problems we have had in the past decade, not Russia, not China, not North Korea (but I do feel bad for them) and not law abiding citizens, no. It's Islamic extremism.

If you're nervous around people that practice a belief that has taken potshots at you and killed your friends and charges, then yeah, maybe you'd be more than a little biased too. Maybe it'd be hard to sit easy knowing that maybe, or maybe not the person wearing a full hijab might detonate because you have absolutely no clue who they are and know it's happened before. So yeah, I'm going to bat for General Mattis because he deserves some semblance of sympathy and understanding. You can't please everyone, no, but you shouldn't state that someone is bad for holding prejudices against a belief system. Did you know that about 20% of veterans have PTSD? Maybe Mattis suffered it at one point or still does? Would it be hard for you sitting next to someone who practices that belief system? Do you think that maybe it's possible that something caused him to abhor the religion? Perhaps some more investigation and wearing of shoes before one judges this, hm?

I doubt very much that many currently practiced religions receive such treatment (in depth critique), but you know what I think? I think life isn't fair, and it's full of a bunch of sucktastic people that like to kill for some magical man that raped some 9 year old girl some time way back when. I think it's full of criminals and murderers and full of things that I don't like. It's full of dirtbags that rob people blind, digital thieves and religious fanatics of all stripes, shitty music and pop artists that think they matter when they don't, frenzied psychotics and you know what I absolutely hate the most out of all of it? It's not the rape, the murder, corrupt politicians, the Gangam Style or irresponsible businessmen, no. What I hate most of all is when someone tells me that I can't hate it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    James is rather ingrained on how the military actually works. Having someone who actually knows the procedures on how the DOD functions and has been a part of that for several decades is perhaps a better choice than a Harvard Physics professor, right? That's all I'm saying

I suppose, but my problem with that line of thinking is that's not what his job is about, he's not a general in the army and his job is not to be a marine, the job is not particularly a military one as much as the job relates to and connects with the military.

Secretary for defence isn't an army general, and the post is specifically designed to facilitate civilian control of the military, someone who's served in the last seven years can't take up the office, I feel like putting a military man in control of the post doesn't align with it's intended goals. That's not to say that the person in control shouldn't know anything but i'd say putting someone capable in charge that's not had military service is perfectly acceptable given the nature of the office

Besides, being 'Islamaphobic' doesn't mean someone hates all Muslims, Arabians or Middle Eastern peoples. Considering the vast majority of global terrorist attacks are claimed by Islamic extremists I think you'd get soggy of having to deal with the same group of people (Islamic extremists) day in and day out. I might even be lumped in this category. I don't appreciate how the Islamic religion treats 50% of the population and I don't appreciate a lot of what is accepted in a handful of countries handing down Sharia law. I've made my standing on this very clear. You could be any color or individual and practice Islam. I've seen it before, it's been on the news, it's easily researched at the fingertips.

It's fairly synonymous with bigotry against middle eastern people, though, and regardless "'the vast majority of terrorist attacks are by Islamic extremists" isn't any form of justification for dislike, prejudice against or being uncomfortable around people of that religion.

You've made it clear that you have a pretty bias opinion before and you don't have a complete understanding of the religion of islam as a whole but that's not malicious as much as it seems to be un/misinformed, hopefully this kind of discussion helps with that.

I'm more than a little disappointed you homed in on the islamophobia at the expense of ignoring the sexism, transphobia and homophobia expressed by him as they're equally important and actually things he could genuinely affect people in the armed service through.

"Well he'll do what's best for the nation" seems to be your excuse for... all members of the cabinet and it honestly doesn't hold up, you can't just dismiss everything with "well, he/she won't act on their own biases"

Also, it would be prudent to point out that I wasn't creating a 'strawman' as you put it, but rather would hope someone would rather steer away from potholes such as 'these people are violent' while ignoring the BBQ fire in their back yard. You can't sit and say "look! Look over there! Pay no attention to the puny man behind the curtain!" and expect it not to raise eyebrows. Calling out both sides as wrong is perhaps the most correct stance to take. Regardless of what you might think of Trump, he did go on record saying he does not condone said behaviour.

Centralism is a poor stance to take and fence sitting inaction is generally the worst thing. You DID use a strawman as you compared the likes of the far left (Which includes bigotry, violence against minorities, white supremacist-ism ect) with that of the "far left" without quantifying what that is, and then directing attention to one perceived example of the "far left" being one incident of people, in your eyes, "defending the actions of a criminal" while "demonising police".

This is not only irrelevant to what we're talking about as a whole, but just a strange tirade to go on to start with?

Now, no one from the opposite side has done the same. Whether it was true (what he believes) or not doesn't take away this fact. He said to stop whatever violence his supporters were doing, not encourage it.

This ignores that he did encourage it several times at several rallies, which have been discussed in other threads while you were present.

It also ignores his violent rhetoric pandering to violent groups, and pretends his supporters are just supporters + bad thing, rather than "bad thing people, who support trump because of bad thing"

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Trump won? People stopped calling bull**** and threw up smokescreens to detract from what has really been happening and calling fire where there is none. The tides are shifting the other way my friend. People are beginning to become really fed up being called bigots, sexist, racist, Islamaphobic- and let's touch base on that once again. Islamaphobia. Islam is a) not a group of people b) doesn't have feelings, as it isn't alive and c) should be able to take whatever criticism is dished their way the same way everyone else takes their **** pie and eats it.

"Trump won because people call other people out too much" is a garbage argument, you're throwing out your OWN smokescreen to detract from your OWN issues in this sort of thing. Pretending there's no issues with bigotry in any form is flat out false and you can say that because you're not a minority, you're not anything that's attacked, you're not anything that's the target of these things. You sit there, pretending there's no issue and attacking detractors because you don't face it and you don't have to act like it exists.

"The tides are changing" are right, they're pushing back against social progress violently and awfully, and you're part of it by passively sitting by and pretending nothing is going on, nothing is an issue, and all these whiny babies need to stop complaining about "being fired for being gay" or "having their rights stripped away" or "racial profiling" because how could that happen if i've never seen it? Of course it can't be real, only i'm enlightened by being in the centre here.

Maybe if you're sick of being called homophobic, islamophobic, racist or anything else, you should try stopping being like that. If you're being called bigoted against someone by a minority and your first high horse response is to go "No i'm not" and complain that you're being unfairly called something you're not, you're the problem. If your head is so crammed into your jacket pocket that you think everyone else is just overreacting, that nothing is wrong, that their worries are unfounded, that you can't possibly be saying anything bad or toxic, or acting poorly because... well because you're just not like that, are you? You can't be bad because you'd know. Then this is the issue: You.

Not "leftists" "kicking up a fit", not "whiny millennials" with their "safe spaces", not "SJWs". You.

I cut out the rest of your dumb rant on semantics of islamophobia that come so close to those about judaism that I don't even care enough to touch them beyond that because it's nonsense filler that you've, yet again, homed in on rather than any other issue discussed in this topic and it's quite frankly irrelevant nonsense. No one is here to hear you talk about how you don't think it's right for fear-mongering and attacks against a minority in the west to be counted as something bad.

JDJACKET, you have a real issue with singling out tiny parts of arguments and ignoring the rest, as other discussions and this giant block of text completely ignoring the homophobia and bigotry presented before you and the issues from that in a discussion about presidential cabinet.

Years
  • You can continue to base the claim that the job for secretary for defense belongs to a civilian, despite it being held by military men in the past. Stating that I know nothing about Islam is actually a poor character assassination. Near 60-70 countries actively practice Sharia law in some oppressive way with the backing of an arm of the Islamic religion. It also doesn't help that you claim I have a narrow scope and say I'm ignoring the 'other issues' that you seem to have brought up when you did not. You were the one that brought up Islamaphobia, meaning that it was some kind of standing point to argue on, while still dismissing the fact that Islamaphobia is a strong dislike of Islam and not necessarily a group of people. It just so happens that a seemingly large group of people utilize it as a way to commit atrocities.

There is no evidence against my claim that the Islamic religion isn't actively used as a tool of oppression in several countries, and dismissing this fact actively changes the subject. Time and again, it's something that no one standing has put to task; to do so would be to argue against several global government agencies. There isn't much room to debate this, and there isn't enough room to argue against the fact that Islamic terrorism is the most prominent source of terrorism. I don't believe I need to resurrect sources or even bring up any US departmental data to prove this point, that's just the way it is. The FBI, CIA, DoD, DoJ and others have proven this point, along with other European organizations.

Yes, unfortunately, the vast majority of Islamic extremists hail from a country within the middle east. This will, perhaps, never change. Wishing it wasn't so or ignoring this fact, discounting the terrorist attacks carried against the US and the EU is, in my opinion, a fairly gross misunderstanding of how the defense market operates. The defense doesn't go looking for the small things first, and then go after the bigger issues, it isn't designed to work that way. The biggest issues we have currently are within the middle east and have been for a good 15+ years. Domestic disputes are more likely to be left within the hands of the Secretary of Homeland Security, and not necessarily within the scope of the Secretary of Defense, that holds more of a foreign roll.

Defending it's activities (Islam), whether they're used to prevent women from doing anything, is something I doubt any rational person would want to stand behind. Regardless, the secretary of Defense can do little towards the LGBTQ community and transgenders alone, as they are largely not of much importance against the state of security as a whole. As stated above, much of the backyard falls to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

Being transgender is not a job for the Secretary of Defense to worry about. Being opposed to gay and transgender persons shouldn't actively conflict with this post and thus, becomes more of a non-issue. However, whether or not Mattis pursues such things acting as Secretary of Defence remains to be seen, as the future is not yet written. Until Mattis begins to move against and process motions to remove personnel (being LGBT and Transgender) from the military, which would be a misstep considering how the military is strapped for new people, we don't have enough to claim that it will happen. Claiming that it matters now and shoveling ifs, ands or buts onto the pile won't help things.

If you review the actual statistical data provided by the FBI then the results have very much remained the same throughout the years. Violent crimes increase, while minorities commit a larger portion of crimes in the US. It is unfortunate, but true. I've been over this, the facts haven't changed. Gen. Mattis is not responsible, nor is Clinton or Trump responsible for follower's actions, however, I find that it is quite damning that the Democratic party was caught planting rioters within the ranks.

Now we come to the crux of your argument. You have resorted to personal attacks and baseless claims without any support, backing or proof. You continually berate me and seem to think that that is acceptable behaviour. I don't believe I have done much to deserve such treatment, and drawing attention away from your argument by attacking me personally shows a crack and breakdown within the argument. You claim to know who I am, where I've been, what I've experienced and what I know. I have made no such like claims and resulting to insults and petty mud slinging has brought with it a new kind of argument and it's nothing I would actively enjoy participating in much. It has shown me that you seem to enjoy launching verbal assaults without actually providing much facts to actively reinforce your position. Firing blindly and attempting to hit a mark on who I am or how I've been treated and by whom, leaves much to be desired and a bland flavour.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    You can continue to base the claim that the job for secretary for defense belongs to a civilian, despite it being held by military men in the past.

This hardly overrules it's explicit purpose as civilian control of the military, and laws around keeping people with recent active service from doing the job. "Military men have done it in the past" may be true, but not ones that'd served within the timeframe specified and does not overrule it's purpose.

Stating that I know nothing about Islam is actually a poor character assassination. Near 60-70 countries actively practice Sharia law in some oppressive way with the backing of an arm of the Islamic religion.

From my own research you seem to have blown the number up by an incredibly large amount, but "in some opressive way" makes it very vague, but implies this isn't the amount of countries that use some aspect of sharia in their laws, just the ones that use it for an opressive purpose, which seems fairly untrue as well.

"With the backing of an arm of the islamic religion" is also very vague and not totall correct, considering islam in general is fractured as much as christianity in it's variety of sects and none are centralised in the same way Catholicism is. To have a group of religions without any kind of central leadership figure all collectively back something seems kind of absurd, and it's more likely that you mean groups/organisations of those denominations support it and are conflating that with worshippers as a whole.

It also doesn't help that you claim I have a narrow scope and say I'm ignoring the 'other issues' that you seem to have brought up when you did not. You were the one that brought up Islamaphobia, meaning that it was some kind of standing point to argue on, while still dismissing the fact that Islamaphobia is a strong dislike of Islam and not necessarily a group of people. It just so happens that a seemingly large group of people utilize it as a way to commit atrocities.

You are literally ignoring every other issue i brought up while telling you that you were ignoring the other issues to, again, home in on Islamophobia in a way that's irrelevant to the topic. You didn't even mention, in this section of the post, any of the other things i'd talked about like homophobia ect even when i'd been focusing on those specifically in the rest of my post and going in-depth on them more than anything.

I don't get the mini-rant that you're going on that a "seemingly large group" utilise it to commit atrocities vs..... almost every other religion? As if it's some kind of rare occurrence that you're no overstating and is entirely unique.

There is no evidence against my claim that the Islamic religion isn't actively used as a tool of oppression in several countries, and dismissing this fact actively changes the subject. Time and again, it's something that no one standing has put to task; to do so would be to argue against several global government agencies. There isn't much room to debate this, and there isn't enough room to argue against the fact that Islamic terrorism is the most prominent source of terrorism. I don't believe I need to resurrect sources or even bring up any US departmental data to prove this point, that's just the way it is. The FBI, CIA, DoD, DoJ and others have proven this point, along with other European organizations.

A bit of a cheat since it caps at 2005, before ISIS' rise as a power & is focused on US soil, but here's some evidence for you: http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-mu...0-of-all-terrorist-attacks-in-america/5333619

It should also be noted that mass shootings are generally considered domestic terrorism, and considering that & the US' outrageous rate of those the statistics are actually pretty lopsided against islamic extremism.

This is fairly irrelevant, again, though.

Yes, unfortunately, the vast majority of Islamic extremists hail from a country within the middle east. This will, perhaps, never change. Wishing it wasn't so or ignoring this fact, discounting the terrorist attacks carried against the US and the EU is, in my opinion, a fairly gross misunderstanding of how the defense market operates. The defense doesn't go looking for the small things first, and then go after the bigger issues, it isn't designed to work that way. The biggest issues we have currently are within the middle east and have been for a good 15+ years. Domestic disputes are more likely to be left within the hands of the Secretary of Homeland Security, and not necessarily within the scope of the Secretary of Defense, that holds more of a foreign roll.

I don't see how it's unfortunate that most islamic extremists come from destabilised muslim majority countries, considering that's basically the most prime area to breed that sort of extremism but I don't get how this says anything exept that putting someone with a bias against a group of people in charge of military opperations in an area mostly inhabited by said people is a bad idea, and not conductive to peace nor teamwork with forces or people in the region

Defending it's activities (Islam), whether they're used to prevent women from doing anything, is something I doubt any rational person would want to stand behind.

I mean yeah, who'd ever want to support a religion that tells women they should be silent and submissive and are inherently inferio- Oh, wait, that's christianity too.

Well darn, looks like biblical literalism is the problem here, not a specific religion above all others.

Regardless, the secretary of Defense can do little towards the LGBTQ community and transgenders alone, as they are largely not of much importance against the state of security as a whole. As stated above, much of the backyard falls to the Secretary of Homeland Security.

Uh? Are you sure, considering the secretary of defence runs the department of defence, which oversees the military?

Also, being a military adviser to the president, he gives military advice. You're trying to say he has no power on matters regarding the law around the military, which simply isn't true.

(I really don't get what you mean when you're talking about homeland security? Do you really think the fear being expressed is of military attack against LGBT people, rather that rolling back of equality in the military- something that is very much within the scope of powers of a person in charge of it)

Being transgender is not a job for the Secretary of Defense to worry about. Being opposed to gay and transgender persons shouldn't actively conflict with this post and thus, becomes more of a non-issue. However, whether or not Mattis pursues such things acting as Secretary of Defence remains to be seen, as the future is not yet written. Until Mattis begins to move against and process motions to remove personnel (being LGBT and Transgender) from the military, which would be a misstep considering how the military is strapped for new people, we don't have enough to claim that it will happen. Claiming that it matters now and shoveling ifs, ands or buts onto the pile won't help things.

"Lets' just see what happens" is such a passive nonsense answer to concerns that it's not dignifiable with an answer. It's that whole anecdote about frogs not jumping out of boiling water.

When has "it doesn't affect X" ever been a valid reason for conservative anti-lgbt officials not to act out on their opinions, if people actually thought like that we wouldn't have a horrible history of anti-LGBT atrocities and general bad history on the subject. There wouldn't need to be a stonewall if people were really like that.

Besides that, if you personally beleive women, gay people, and transgender people all weaken the military by being able to serve openly (or serve full stop) then it IS something you'd perceive to be your job to worry about, wouldn't it?

If you review the actual statistical data provided by the FBI then the results have very much remained the same throughout the years. Violent crimes increase, while minorities commit a larger portion of crimes in the US. It is unfortunate, but true. I've been over this, the facts haven't changed. Gen. Mattis is not responsible, nor is Clinton or Trump responsible for follower's actions, however, I find that it is quite damning that the Democratic party was caught planting rioters within the ranks.

No one was found planting rioters, please read credible sources? The closest thing to ever come to that was admission of anti-trump protesters coming to trump rallies, not to "start riots" but to be there with their message and expressing that violent people were easily bated into violence by that.

Anyway, this is still completely irrelevant and you've dived into "minorities do the most crimes" (Which... isn't true, as far as i'm aware) they do when you take into account population vs crime rate, but that's entirely socioeconomic factors and still completely irrelevant to Trump supporting violence at his rallies, and having a violent message that riles up violent people.

Now we come to the crux of your argument. You have resorted to personal attacks and baseless claims without any support, backing or proof. You continually berate me and seem to think that that is acceptable behaviour. I don't believe I have done much to deserve such treatment, and drawing attention away from your argument by attacking me personally shows a crack and breakdown within the argument. You claim to know who I am, where I've been, what I've experienced and what I know. I have made no such like claims and resulting to insults and petty mud slinging has brought with it a new kind of argument and it's nothing I would actively enjoy participating in much. It has shown me that you seem to enjoy launching verbal assaults without actually providing much facts to actively reinforce your position. Firing blindly and attempting to hit a mark on who I am or how I've been treated and by whom, leaves much to be desired and a bland flavour.

They're not baseless personal attacks, they're both a vent of frustration and a response to your garbage "well Trump won because wah wah i don't like people calling other people out for bigoted things" idea.

You're not of a minority, not of one related to anything we've been talking about at least and i'm almost completely certain of that and would've assumed you'd have brought it up in response if I was wrong and you are gay, or transgender, or anything else i was talking about rather than your textbook vague "You don't know me, you don't know i'm not" thing.

You've pretended it's a "personal attack" rather than a response to you, a response to your awful tone and completely wrong assumption in that specific part of the response where you've entirely deflected any and all responsibility for bigotry from not only yourself but just in general by trying to tell me that marginalised groups are wrong for calling people out for their harmful and hurtful actions or words, and that it's their fault that not only are people like that to start with, but that there's a push back against the very concepts of their open presence.

All whining about """Political correctness""" ,like what you did by proxy, stem from that exact same deflection of responsibility and deflection of any conceptions of wrongdoing by anyone.

Anyway, I would much rather actually discuss stuff relevant to the topic, instead of having to roll my eyes back into my skull everytime this website gives me a notification

Years
  • Ben Carson to lead Housing and Urban Development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's against the idea of giving assistance to people even though he got it himself when he was younger. Like, what?

And Betsy DeVos for Education. She's one of those school voucher types who wants to give taxpayer money to religious schools and private schools where teacher's unions don't exist or have little power. I don't like the idea of kids being taught creationism in school as if it's as good as actual earth science and biology. Especially not at the expense of public schools. But I'm not at all surprised by this. It's a normal tactic for Republicans to gut funding from something and then claim it isn't working.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Why Carson for Housing and Urban Development? Wasn't he a surgeon or something?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • The only thing I can think of is that Carson used to live in HUD housing.

Except he didn't.

"Correction: December 5, 2016 - An earlier version of this article, relying on information from Armstrong Williams, a close friend of Ben Carson, misstated a part of Mr. Carson's childhood. Mr. Williams said Monday that Mr. Carson had never lived in government housing."

http://thehill.com/homenews/308908-...n-stories-claiming-carson-lived-in-government

My theory is that he's actually going to be Secretary of Being Black, in case someone calls out how all the key positions are going to white men. (Admittedly there are two women, one in Transportation and another in Education, the latter of which is going to run a Department with some cachet, so you can't say both of them are pure tokenist fillers at least).

Back