• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grinding

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
  • How much grinding can you handle when playing RPG games? Do any games get grinding done in a way you enjoy? What games get it wrong?

I can only handle so much grinding. If I have to grind longer than a couple of hours I end up dropping the game.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like grinding and turning on a podcast or radio. This is how I got into the early Dragon Quest games. Those are really nice to turn my mind off and do something in the background.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Depends on the effort and reward. Handles things like breeding in Pokemon easily due to little focus necessary.

Good
    - Acquire [Item] easier after getting a certain amount. Example: Terraria's Journey Mode. Unlocks Copper Ore permanently by sacrificing 100 of it. Spawns in limitless amounts of a boss's drop bag after destroying three.

- Changing up the grind. Example: (Some) daily quests in World of Warcraft. Remembers liking the Molten Front. (Disclaimer: Did this years ago. May be incorrect.) Received a certain number of quests of a pool. Might spend more time in one section or none at all, depending on the day. Might go on a bombing run today, but maybe not again for the next two days. Chose which new area of dailies to unlock as you progressed too. (Note: Dings it for taking a long time to finish, though.)

Bad
    - Tales of Zestiria's equipment fusion. Combines two of the same equipment (such as two Mythril Swords) to get desired skills and other bonuses. Tacks on a +[number] by doing so. Doubles the equipment's base skill at +10. Triples that at +99. Counts extra towards some skill combinations too. Costs a fortune to do. Makes normal weapons feel extremely cheap. (Disclaimer: Has not played in a long time.)

- Rune Factory 4's (original) Town Events. Occurs every so often. (Expects two days to a week after the previous one finishes.) Gives a mini-story about the character(s) involved. Chooses which one happens randomly at the start of a Town Event day, with prerequisites on some. Enjoys seeing them.

Locked important things behind certain Town Events, however. Cannot begin the game's final arc without a specific Town Event. Cannot get someone's marriage event until after getting certain Town Events. Made the event to marry someone a Town Event too. Becomes grindy in that you can reset for a new event. Never knows whether bad luck or unknown prerequisites prevent getting the desired Town Event.

Fixed it somewhat it the Switch version. Prioritizes the final arc and marriage events upon meeting the prerequisites. Did nothing about the Town Events to unlock the marriage event, though. Beat the game before getting married on both playthroughs (and postgame for the first time).

- Earthbound's Sword of Kings. Drops off an enemy that disappears after beating the area's boss. Has a 1 in 128 chance of dropping. Provides +30 offense to Poo. Cannot equip any other weapon effectively. (Note: Does not rely too much on basic attacks. Skips it without losing out too much.) Made the other ultimate weapons equally rare as well.

Neutral
    - Speed-up and autoplay mechanics. Example: Bravely Default. Thank you for allowing battles to go up to 4x speed. Recognized that the grind may be too long. But...why not just make the grind itself shorter?

Last edited:
    Years
  • While I will tolerate a small amount of grinding, as a general rule, I can't stand grinding. I have long held the opinion that a game shouldn't have to feel like/be work to experience properly. Grinding is a lot of work and it's almost always tedious and dull. A game's story and characters have to be pretty fucking amazing to make me put up with excessive grinding.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I love grinding. I can't really explain why but just having loads of everything in a game is immensely satisfying to me. Whether it's collections ingots/gems in Skyrim, to Dash Juice / every completed weapon in Monster Hunter, to grinding for Pearlescent weapons in Borderlands 2, and leveling every team member to 100 in Pokémon by hand, and hoarding tons of items in Subnautica.

I could state more examples but you get what I mean. For me, grinding is like part of the fun of RPGs (or any game that allows me to hoard items) and I have an obsessive compulsion to own stacks and boxes of everything collectible.

Oddly I'm like a dragon in that way. I stack my treasures, no matter how irrelevant to gameplay, and protect my multitude of nonsense safe. And then I just look at it with accomplishment and that's the only thing grinding has ever done for me. The more backbreakingly tedious, the better.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't enjoy it, but I can put in some ridiculous hours grinding for something if I want it bad enough 😂
    Likewise, if I don't care about it, I won't grind for it at all.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I love grinding. I can't really explain why but just having loads of everything in a game is immensely satisfying to me. Whether it's collections ingots/gems in Skyrim, to Dash Juice / every completed weapon in Monster Hunter, to grinding for Pearlescent weapons in Borderlands 2, and leveling every team member to 100 in Pokémon by hand, and hoarding tons of items in Subnautica.
    Shit, did you really max out literally every single weapon in GU?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Shit, did you really max out literally every single weapon in GU?

Yes. You needed to do it for the one of the achievements and I decided, fuck it, I got the materials might as well. I'd make every Rank 10 and Deviant Armor set if they gave me the room.

In fact the only weapons not fully upgraded are a handful of Deviants. But at least they're all at 10 or higher. Can confirm I have every upgraded HH, DB, SnS, IG, Bow, LS.. and at least 70% sure I've got every, SA, CB, L/HBG. The rest (Lance, GS, and Hammer iirc) I'd have to check but I know for certain I have no less than three completed trees.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't enjoy it, but I can put in some ridiculous hours grinding for something if I want it bad enough 😂
    Likewise, if I don't care about it, I won't grind for it at all.

Double post sorry but I didn't want to notif Nah again.

See, I'm the opposite. Even if I don't care about it, I'll go to the ends of the Earth to find it / collect all of them. And lord help my console if I do care because that's when the hours really pile up. I've said this in the past but I spent 2500+ in ACNL to make sure I had enough bells for every variation of every item. I couldn't keep much.. rather, any of it, but there was an online catalog with every item and their color skews that I meticulously kept updated. Then ACNH came out and a new journey of collecting began.

Years
  • I don't mind grinding in games, but only if it's fair. What I mean is that if you're expected to gain a lot of levels, or find certain equipment, make that the main focus! I don't care if the drop rate is 1%, but if you put your healing spot 30 miles away? If you make enemies hard to find? Brutal. Feels like a slap in the face. Some Pokemon fangames I've played do this, and it's my #1 reason for putting down the game. Be fair.

I love when there are small bonuses for grinding, whether this is items, or extra money or whatnot. Games like Tales of Symphonia I don't mind grinding because not only do you get items/crafting items, you can also earn Grade which you can redeem at the end of the game for some great rewards. So not only do you level up, you get bonus loot too! This is also why I'm a fan of increased shiny odds in Pokemon games. It's a nice little incentive to get into as many encounters as you can :)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Kid me hated it but adult me's almost in the opposite camp.

That said I don't know if it's because my way of thinking's changed or because grinding just kinda became more fun. Like, with Pokemon I still think grinding to be really boring. Unless it's emulated, in which case I can do that all day because of fast forward. I completed FFs 1, 3, and 4 on the PSP. On an emulator. Largely thanks to fast forward. Because the most annoying part of grinding is the amount of time it takes to get from 1 encounter to the next.

Then there's games which just facilitate the process themselves. The World Ends With You had a chaining system which not only made grinding fast, but also made it so that when you made big chains you'd get big rewards, that's hella satisfying. Autobattle's been a standard inclusion in games lately and thank god for it, it makes playing just about anything instantly more relaxing.

And then there's the last example which is just games that make grinding fun purely by just being fun games. Action RPGs have this down to a science for the most part since the gameplay loop kind of lives or dies on how fun the combat is. The process doesn't even need to be facilitated, it's just...playing the game. But even outside of games with just fun combat there's like, say, Persona 4 which makes grinding really satisfying by way of the EXP and *then* the Arcana Chance and *then* dropping loooots of junk which you don't need to sort or keep tabs on because you can just sell it all to get better gear. It's practically always rewarding so there's rarely such a thing as a wasted encounter.

All of this is stuff I like. But there are times where I just plain don't want to no matter what. Like Pokemon was the example I mentioned above, unless there's a convenient way to, which usually there isn't, I just avoid it on the platform proper. In FFXIV, grinding there drives me up the *wall* unless I diversify somehow. Doing the same thing over and over in the same place in a game that's built around playing one exact way (usually) is very tiring very quickly for me, so I usually keep dungeon grinding to a minimum. Still have no idea how I managed to get the Zodiac relic. But the rule of thumb's simply that if it's slow, monotonous, and/or unrewarding it's just a huge hamper on the experience overall.

Years
  • I think it's only Pokémon where I can handle grinding continuously for longer periods. Other games should at least have a fast forward option, or an option to automatically repeat the last actions taken without having to click through them again (like Bravely Default and Final Fantasy Maxima). That's probably because in Pokémon I just quickly have to select the move for one Pokémon, but in other grind-heavy RPGs there tend to be several characters to choose for, or just more clicks to do for other reasons. It can get exhausting and I don't have as much patience for it anymore. D:

Back