• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Red Gyarados

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What did you do with Red Gyarados at the lake of rage? Did you use it on your team, box it? What is your opinion on this Pokemon in general?

Vagabond+

Dream Traveler
    Years
  • I think the instinct is to find room on your team for it if you didn't start with Totodile. But even if not, it makes a great HM slave. I never knew as a kid you could trade its scale for the EXP Share though. Crystal was my first mainline pokemon game so I didn't know what the EXP Share was until gen 3 lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I remember a friend who put it into their party when they got it, but I think I just boxed it when I got to catch it. It is a good HM slave, though.

Idk, I just feel there's something severely lacking in terms of Gyarados in gen 2. Maybe it's the nerf they did in the transition from gen 1? Gen 2 Gyarados feels like the weakest it's ever been.

Years
  • i always use Cyndaquil in HGSS so it'd fit my needs for a Water type, but at that point i probably already have one for my team thanks to needing Surf to get there. i stay loyal all throughout for my buddies, so stuff like Red Gyara gets caught and perma-boxed.

Years
  • I originally used the red Gyarados as an HM slave and when I went back to playing the 2nd gen a few years later I used it on my team leveling it up along with my other team.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I remember a friend who put it into their party when they got it, but I think I just boxed it when I got to catch it. It is a good HM slave, though.

Idk, I just feel there's something severely lacking in terms of Gyarados in gen 2. Maybe it's the nerf they did in the transition from gen 1? Gen 2 Gyarados feels like the weakest it's ever been.

Axing the special stat really messed with Gyrados, at least in gen 1 surf, ice beam, and thunderbolt had a good strength to them.

Gyrados also kinda blew in gen 3, it didn't become OK again until gen 4.

Years
  • I'm not really a fan of Gyarados, so I caught it on my first playthrough of Johto games and put it in my PC. Nowadays I either use it as HM slave or just beat it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I kinda used it as an HM slave, but then I boxed it. I usually had a solid team at that point in the game so I never found a use for Gyarados. I tried breeding it in GSC to get a shiny, but I was never successful.

Years
  • That shiny Gyarados was really interesting. Would've loved having it on my team because I always pick Cyndaquil as my starter in Johto (and Johto was lacking good water types imo). But, idk, it never felt right to use Gyarados. I think I remember using it once when I replayed HeartGold. But other than that, nope, I always used it as either HM slave, boxed it, or just didn't catch it at all

Back