• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conflicted emotions.

Should I keep enjoying what I love or should I drop it and move on?

• Drop it and quit playing Pokemon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Enjoy it but don't focus to much on what people think

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Forget about what people will think about you. If you love it then LOVE IT

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • If it helps you in your daily life and you want to keep playing it then do so.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PikachuFlameFire

MasterTrainer1994
Years
  • Ok so before I begin, let me just say that I do love Pokemon tremendously and nothing will ever change that. Now that I have that over with on to why I posted this topic.

So I am 24 years old. Have loved Pokemon since I was 8 years old. Saw the great things it brought in my life and I also felt the competitive spirit flow. It helped me to make some friends when I was younger. Here is my dilemma now.

I am feeling conflicted inside right now. I am an adult Pokemon player and fan but yet I keep feeling ashamed to enjoy it because I fear what my work colleagues and peers will think of me. I've always had this issue growing up. Especially in school. I play the TCG a lot and have even considered going into competition.

I don't want to change but I also don't want people to think of me as childish, incompetent, or weird for loving a game. It brings me great joy though and satisfaction. I just need some advice and maybe some encouragement. Thanks guys.

Oh and plus I have a disability so it really helps me with that.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Why should you give a shit what your colleagues think of you, as long as the content of your character is good? If they judge you based on anything other than that, then they're fucking losers and not worth your time in the first place. You do you. This game knows no age limits. This is a fucked up world that getting more and more fucked up by the second, and we need to hold on to all that makes us happy as tightly as we can. Pokémon isn't hurting anyone, so if someone has a problem with you playing the game, tell them that they know where they can shove it.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • People care a lot less than you think they do, and if they do judge you for playing games, that's their own problem. There will always be judgmental people like that. I'm an adult who carries plushies with me and plays games in public and wears anime and game merch, and I rarely get weird looks.
    Also, many, many adults play video games. My boss in her 30s plays Animal Crossing religiously and nearly every one of my coworkers plays some games at least casually.
    Basically, what I really want to say is if another grown adult is so bothered by you playing games that they actively judge you for it, I think they're a loser who needs to mind their own business.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I don't want to change but I also don't want people to think of me as childish, incompetent, or weird for loving a game. It brings me great joy though and satisfaction. I just need some advice and maybe some encouragement. Thanks guys.
    I'll let you in on a secret: adults are just grown up children. And by "grown up" I mean "bigger".

Those who judge you are just those edgy kids who think they look cool when they do so. :)

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    You're naturally going to be getting skewed answers about accepting Pokemon interests on a Pokemon forum - just remember that, I guess. I'd rather you be positive AND pragmatic! So with that in mind, I think the only relevant question is where you're bringing up these interests: Can you read the room? It might not be good to bring up stereotypically childish interests if you're professionally mingling. Other times, it could be welcomed to show a sense of youthfulness. But with that noted, can you accept that it might not matter and you may be judged no matter what? I'm sure you have your own judgments to make about other people's interests, after all.

Your particular interests aren't worthy of judgement and there's nothing wrong there. Do what you want, really. Own your lifestyle and such. Just remember that not having anything to be judged for isn't going to stop others, no amount of goodwill from us is gonna erase that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Is it going to affect your ability to do your job? If not then it's none of their business.

Read your own post back to yourself. You love it, it brings you joy and you don't want to change. Your words not mine.

It would be a crying shame if you stopped doing something that makes you happy because your peers aren't secure enough in their own maturity to let you enjoy it.

As long as you're not doing anything illegal or to hurt someone then don't ever apologise for being you.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I'm 22 and still play Pokemon religiously, both the main series and Pokemon Go. Her's advice is the best imo: it's okay to have the interest, just talk about it at appropriate times. Pokemon is a pretty popular franchise that came out during a lot of people's childhood, it's not exactly a weird interest to have.

Years
  • I was feeling the same way because the nintendo section is always filled with little boys and I'm 28
    It makes me feel like I'm weird for even liking nintendo things in the first place? Like I'm clearly out of place and it makes me feel like I'm immature.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • 22 year old here, w/"childish" interests as well, and I'm going to tell you now: don't listen to what anyone says. Keep loving Pokemon if it has a positive effect on you. Dropping an interest you really like because people will judge you will probably hinder you over helping you. Besides, Pokemon is for everyone, not just children.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I feel the need to contribute this. The other day I had Pokemon Go open on my phone at work and my boss - well into his 30s, married with a kid - got excited because he plays it too! Pokemon is a lot more popular than you think.

Back