• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Contests Return!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    With the newest CoroCoro leaks it brings us amazing news! Contests are making a comeback! But it should make sense, right? Gen 3's unique factor were the contests, they were then developed further in Gen IV by adding other areas such as an awful Dance competition and dressing up your Pokemon!

This all makes its glorious return, after a whole generation without it, in ORAS!

It seems that we can see our dressed up Pokemon in Amie, too, unless it's just for Pikachu!

Spoiler:

All the Pikachu's clothing colours relate to the categories of the contests, too! LOOK AT THE CUTE PIKACHUS THOUGH!

So, what do you think about the contests returning with the Gen IV features? Did you like them at all? Are you excited about contests? Or are you purely there to be Hoenn's next top model? to win Gym battles?

Discuss!

blue

gucci
    Years
    I think it was a given that Contests would be back in ORAS, as such a staple to the Gen III games it would be silly not to include them. I loved playing in the contests and raising the Beauty and other stats of Pokémon, the games were so much fun too. n_n

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I expected them to be back (I think we all did). So glad to see dressing up cross over to the Hoenn contests. The dance portion (the rock hard pikachu looks like it's dancing in one of them) looks nice. I do hope that the judging portion is based of the RS contests. Gah, now I'm saddened that we have to wait until Lilycove to get the fourth ribbon in each category, well at least it's not all four like in Emerald.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    They would give Pikachu costumes....

I was fairly certain that Contests would make a return in ORAS, seeing how Hoenn was the region to introduce it and all. I just hope they improve it; I didn't find Contests terribly good in R/S.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    You're crazy! Contests were like, the best part of RSE, haha.

I'm so pumped about ORAS holy crap. I'm so glad contests are back.
    I found them to be a bit unpolished; it felt like the idea wasn't quite complete. But its likely that they'll improve contests and I'll have fun with them this time.

But I wish that they'd bring PokeStar Studios back too....

Years
    I am so hyped for the fact that the contest are returning. Honestly, they were my favorite part of RSE. They got terrible with subsequent generations so I hope they stick with their core fundamentals.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to dress up your pokemon in ORAS. I think those pikachu's are just different forms because you can see them being played with in pokemon Amie. I don't think you would be able to do that if you were just dressing them up. Especially because idol pikachu has different eyes. I think those different forms of pikachu will give you a competitive edge in each area of the upcoming contest.

Years
    I'm glad to see contests confirmed, and Amie too.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to let us reset or alter our Pokémon's contest stats, if those make a return.

Maybe they add berries that lower contests stats similar to the EV berries. They'll make your Pokemon dumber, uglier, less cute, weaker, and uncool...

Braxien

Banned
    Years
    It is great to see that Amie has been confirmed. However, the Contests never really appealed to me. One reason, as the original post stated, the terrible adquate (...) Dance Contest. Hopefully it has much more quality when Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is released on the 3DS, unlike previous Contests.

Years
    Maybe they add berries that lower contests stats similar to the EV berries. They'll make your Pokemon dumber, uglier, less cute, weaker, and uncool...

Or like the Reset Bag on Super Training. It could also be similar to how juice worked in the Pokéathlon, where after a certain amount of Pokéblocks, their effects are reset. Or maybe the Pokéblock's effects could disappear with time.

Anyway, that would allow us to do well in every category using a single Pokémon (which is something I would really like), in exchange for a bit of time readjusting its contest stats.

Years
    It is great to see that Amie has been confirmed. However, the Contests never really appealed to me. One reason, as the original post stated, the terrible adquate (...) Dance Contest. Hopefully it has much more quality when Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire is released on the 3DS, unlike previous Contests.

The original contests (RSE contests) lacked a dance part so you might've liked that style better.

I rather they not be temporary. I tend to take awhile between contests.

Years
    ORAS without contests would've been like HGSS without the Bug Catching Contest: they're staples to the games and thus would not be removed.

Anyway, I'd like to see items that lower or reset the conditions of the various categories. I found it really hard to get Milotic because I couldn't make blue Pokeblocks that were high enough level and low enough feel to max out Feebas's Beauty.

Years
    I had to breed several Feebas in Emerald until I got one to max beauty to evolve it. Could the Pikachu 'formes' be a result of max contest stats instead of just costumes? With Feebas having a new evolution method maxing out a contest stat is now less meaningful.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't see any confirmation that Contests are back. Only a dress up feature for Pokemon Amie.
    CoroCoro didn't straight up say that Contests are back. but there are things like:

Serebii said:
    We now have more images from John Lenoso which show various forms of Pikachu which appear to be related to the contests.

Bulbapedia said:
    Hard Rock Pikachu is shown participating in a Pokémon Contest.

This picture:
    Spoiler:

I will admit that this doesn't mean that Contests are 100% confirmed to be back in ORAS, but its really not a huge stretch of the imagination that Contests would return in the remake of the region it debuted in.

Years
    To add to what Zekrom and ORaAS said, the article questions what the connection with the Pikachu outfits are with contests (コンテスト; seen below Smart Pika). I doubt they'd mention them if they wouldn't be returning.

Years
    Do you think that perhaps they'll add more to contests? I expect next issue to be focused on contests as a whole as they promise to talk more about the Pika formes/customizations next issue and they're connected to contests.

Jasonmii

Der Kaffee geht auf mich.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 23, 2015
    I am actually pretty hyped for this. I think contests with 3D models would be awesome. :) I never really did much with contests in the original games, but the dress-up feature seem pretty cool.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Yes! Nice to get confirmation. I'm a little worried, though. What do you guys think about the dressed up Pikachus? Think it's a dress up part like DPPt Contests or some other thing?

Back