Age 21
Male
Research Triangle / Jakarta
Seen December 22nd, 2019
Posted October 30th, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Attention readers!
In 2016 I moved forward to found a bona fide game development studio called Arqadium, which became the vehicle to host the development of a new, original video game that evolved out of this Pokémon Citrite in late 2015. That game is called Project Trinity, and it’s currently in preproduction.
In 2019, with the completion of the disassembly of Pokémon Emerald, I began working on a new fanhack called Pokémon SwowS, which has assumed a lot of the creativity I had in Citrite that simply couldn’t make it into Project Trinity. In the pursuit of these projects, I am now able to lay this game to rest once and for all.
However! There is a silver lining. You may notice that this original post once had only Mediafire links, along with every release post I made. Obviously, those have long since bit the dust. I have managed to recover from the internet archives an IPS patch of the second-to-last alpha of the old binary ROM hack, version 1.3.1, and you can download this here. In case it gets lost, it could be recovered from this Gist, where the IPS is XZ-compressed and encoded as base64.
For the “source-based hacking” redux of Citrite that never made it to release, that has always been available in archive on GitHub. You can view the rest of the original post below. Thank you for your understanding!
Pokémon Citrite Version
for the Game Boy Advance

A production by Alexander Nicholi
An all-new adventure, and Pokémon experience
Welcome to Pokémon Citrite version! This ROM hack brings to life a heretofore unknown adventure, with all of the improvements you want out of a hack and then some. Take it from Hinkage that it's a mystery how you ended up in a radioactive wasteland unharmed – but because of it you set out on a mission to find out what happened to you, and what the deal is with the fallout you wake up to. All sorts of mysteries unfold in Citrite, from an omniscient “MEGA Corporation” run by a maverick, to the feudal divides in the Tohjo region, to even military factions and Kanto's International Police getting a stake in things. It sure is medieval. What will you make of your adventure?
ROM base: Pokémon Emerald 1.0
Developer: Nick
Current release: Alpha 1.3.1
Screenshots
Downloads
Spoiler: Alpha releases
Spoiler: Alpha 1.3
Alpha 1.3.1

* Fixed broken sign for the Amalthea Village Hall
* Removed accidental Name Rater script from Pokéball on Mt. Massive
* Fixed shadowing for beds throughout Amalthea Village
* Fixed bad colours for bed at house in Amalthea Village
* Repaired map at the Grand Prairie

Alpha 1.3.0

+ Added new Massive Cavern map
+ Added Mt. Massive summit map
+ Added Old Lady's Rest Stop
+ Added second event with Cheryl
+ Spruced up market at the Trading Camp
+ Added text to blank signpost at Trading Camp
+ Added script for Youngster at Timothy's PokéCenter
+ Added missing moveset to Wooper
+ Added script for signpost at Planet Express
* Changed house style for default houses
* Worldmap doesn't display on rock at Ground Zero anymore
* Pidgey's moveset is repaired
* Fixed the speech cutoff with Alex's event at Amalthea
* Fixed SFX for healing place at Amalthea
* Fixed ile error next to southern house in Amalthea
* Fixed text overflow with CoolTrainer♀ in the Amalthea Jungle
* Fixed text pauses in Bug Catcher block
* Fixed tile layering error with boat at Trading Camp
* Reworked the PokéMart scripts at Timothy
* Fixed border block error at second half of the Rampart Steppes
- Removed Master Ball (again)

Spoiler: Alpha 1.2
Alpha 1.2.1

+ Added 2 new Massive Caverns maps
+ Added Event with Cheryl the Explorer
+ Added Strength/Rock Smash puzzle
* Overhauled the learnset movepools for all available Pokémon
* Fix'd border alignment error with Timothy and northern Rampart Steppes

Alpha 1.2.0

+ Added more ledges to first Rampart Steppes map
+ Added second Rampart Steppes map
+ Added Timothian Pokemon Gym
+ Added one Massive Caverns map
* Updated graphics for the introduction
* Changed the colour of the text box and caret
* Fixed tile errors in Rampart Steppes
* Fixed test signpost in Rampart Steppes
* Fixed error with "Pokémon" in certain scripts
* Fixed script error in introduction
* Fixed movement error with pond in Lo Wetlands
* Fixed healing place error in Timothy PokéCenter

Spoiler: Alpha 1.1
Alpha 1.1.7

+ Added Rampart Steppes maps
+ Added Timothy, the first pseudo-gym city
+ Added event with Nicholi at the Rampart Steppes
* Fixed tile error in Trading Camp
* Fixed error where visiting the Musa Office would reset all future events
* Adjusted wild encounter rates in the Amalthea Jungle
* Lowered the power curve of trainers and wild Pokémon from Grand Prairie onwards

Alpha 1.1.6

+ Added missing signpost in Trading Camp
* Fixed movement perm error in Canary Plateau
* Averted reflection error in Canary Plateau
* Fixed text glitch in the Introduction
* Fixed typo in Alex Announcement at Amalthea
* Fixed various text overflows in Amalthea Village
* Fixed text overflow in Trading Camp
* Fixed movement perm error in Musa Stronghold
* Fixed text overflow in Musa Stronghold scientist dialogue
- Removed exit effect for Leaderboard's Office in Musa Stronghold

Alpha 1.1.5

* Corrected price of Sacred Ash
* Fixed tile error in Grand Prairie
* Fixed lack of healing place post-abduction!
* Fixed text error in Musa Announcement
* Fixed movement permission error with shrubs at Musa Stronghold
* Fixed movement error in Lo Wetlands

Alpha 1.1.4

+ Added second Lo Wetlands map
+ Added encounter with shiny Latias
* Fixed movement error in Lo Wetlands

Alpha 1.1.3

+ Added outdoor Musa Stronghold map
+ added first Lo Wetlands map
+ Polished up the Canary Plateau (!)
* Fixed error of exit rug appearing always in Musa Stronghold

Alpha 1.1.2

+ Added the rest of the Musa stronghold
+ Added announcement event
* Changed palettes of stronghold interior
* Colourized Norman

Alpha 1.1.1

+ Scripted B1F of Musa Stronghold
+ Added & scripted 1F of Musa Stronghold
* Properly shadowed dungeon tileset
* Changed platform in B1F of Musa Stronghold
- Removed Master Ball

Alpha 1.1.0

+ Added the Trading Camp!
+ Added a new Grand Prairie map, towards Mt. Massive
+ Added the Musa Stronghold!
+ Added event with Musa militia at the Trading Camp
+ Added pictures to new items
* Overlay error with green shrubs fixed
* Text cut-off error from Red Alein repaired
* Customized Meowth's moveset, now more interesting
* Modified a lot of item values
* Overlay error with fences fixed

Spoiler: Alpha 1.0

Alpha 1.0.10

+ added wild Pokémon to the second Grand Prairie map
+ Added signpost to the warehouse in the Grand Prairie
* Fixed a bug preventing going back into the Amalthea Jungle!

Alpha 1.0.9

+ Added another Grand Prairie map
+ Added a set of trainers
+ Added item balls
* Altered the hue of dirt!
* Fixed movement errors with Musa Militia

Alpha 1.0.8

+ Added event at Grand Prairie
* Edited the Grand Prairie map

Alpha 1.0.7

+ Added first Grand Prairie map
* Fixed sprite locations error in Amalthea Village

Alpha 1.0.6

+ added item balls and hidden items, to the latter Amalthea Jungle
* Fixed the facing errors with the Alex event scripts
* Fixed the camera alignment errors with the Alex event
* Fixed an apparent text-cut off for the monologue
* Aligned the text for word wrap

Alpha 1.0.5

+ Added more of the Amalthea Jungle (new map)
* Fixed bug with healing spot in Amalthea Village

Alpha 1.0.4

+ Added the entire Amalthea Village
+ Added news event with Alex

Alpha 1.0.3

+ Added first event with Nicholi
+ Added new items in the Amalthea Jungle
* Fixed palettes which were promised earlier, changing palettes for plants, dirt, cliffs, a few overworlds, and etc

Alpha 1.0.2

* Downsized the Taillow of Bird Keeper Skylar (Drill Peck was 1-hit KOing)
* Lowered wild encounter rate for Amalthea Jungle
* Fixed Hinkage not taking your shards for the Dragon Scale
* Fixed the Red Shard's item ball giving you three of them
* Modified the plant palette and cliff palette for the overworld!

Alpha 1.0.1

+ Added the first Amalthea Jungle map
+ Added the first Trainers
+ Added accompanying wild Pokémon
* Secured PokéCenter healing place

Alpha 1.0.0

Initial release. Currently mapped and scripted up to the end of the Canary Plateau. Undertook tentative bug-testing.

Media
Spoiler: Storyline outline
The Tohjo region, located north of Johto and northwest of Kanto, is a decentralized polisarchical confederacy in the Pokémon world. Three cities comprise the confederacy: first, Port Crimson, located on the cusp of Crimson Bay; second, Port Azure, located on the coastal brow of the Northern Prairie; and third, the Malachite Metropolis, nestled in the belly of the region, buffered by two large forests and some steppes. A fourth, informal city called the Trading Camp exists in the heart of the Grand Prairie, though it is often overlooked in light of the three gemstone metropolii.

Due to the region's decentralization, a lot of instability can be found throughout. Like the governing trio, another group of developments host militarized factions in strongholds; the three go by the names of Osiris, Musa, and Drachma. A third and final trio of minor cities - Timothy, Baxtorian, and Xavier - exists as places of junction/resupply. These three trios together form a triad of the developed parts of Tohjo.

Other minor points of interest include the villages of Amalthea and Qadesh, Lookout Point in northernmost Tohjo, Empire's End west of Xavier, and the Nome Ruins in the southernmost part of Tohjo.

Besides the factions, there are other groups of interest present in Tohjo. The first and foremost is a conglomerate called the MEGA Corporation, which facilitates monopolistic capitalism in Tohjo through its suppliers outside the region. There is also a provisional Pokémon League based in Port Azure, with gyms located in Timothy, Baxtorian, Xavier, and the Trading Camp. While the League revolves around Pokémon, an often unnecessary amount of focus is put on the media and their own politics as well, particularly with the League Champion. The third is a foreign group called the Greater Kanto International Police, which is the aforementioned region's long arm of the law. While supposedly a legitimized organization, they possess a warped concept of justice and are credited with a lot of vigilante wrongdoings.

Spoiler: Tohjo Region Map

Spoiler: Character Profiles
Spoiler: The Heroes
You – “the Albatross”
You. A kid who lived out an existence in the Malachite Metropolis, until it suddenly went kaput. While everything around you was destroyed, somehow... you weren't! You become an anomaly in the spotlight of all manner of powers, both weak and strong, both smart and dumb, and both good and bad... so watch out!

Spoiler: Maverick Hinkage
Hinkage – “the Arbiter”
He's the CEO Chairman of the MEGA Corporation, and he doesn't play around. He's sharp, he's loaded, and he's wise. The ultimate counsel for a lucky fellow such as yourself. Has a vast array of resources and manpower at his disposal, lives without a concept of money, and protects what's his. He has quite the intellect, and quite the power. Wants to help you out!

Spoiler: Detective Nicholi
Nicholi – “the Auxiliary”
A lot like Looker, he's a globe-trotter for the International Police... for the long arm of Kanto, that is. One of the most causal guys you'll see, he always dresses light and always has a mystery on his mind. As interested in work as he may be, he's not that skilled at cracking things - his strong suit is his people skills. Wants to watch your back... just like Hinkage! Wait, what?

Spoiler: Champion Alex
Alex – “the Archduke”
He's the current Champion of Tohjo's Pokémon League - a provisional one, anyway. Practically revolves around the public's eyes. Very focused on the media, and of his image. Also a popular figure in regional culture - often praised as a “people's hero” and a champion beyond Pokémon competitions. While his actions often revolve around popularity and morality, in his mind they're for his idea of perfection. Runs into the player a bit late to things, and... makes a mess of things? Play to find out!
Credit
0. Nintendo, for the ROM bases we all use :P
1. Nex, for lots of spritework over the years, which probably ended up in this hack
2. Le pug, for advice and help working with Emerald, and his decapitalization patch
3. Bela, Team Fail, linkandzelda, and all of the other regulars of RHM/#rhm/our community for advice and suggestions for Citrite. :)
4. Shiny Quagsire, Touched, cosarara97, daniilS, and the other developers in our circle, for keeping me motivated and on my toes with software engineering. :)
5. diegoisawesome for his intro enhancement patch for Emerald
6. sky0fblades for their FF byte patch for Emerald
All ideas, criticisms, and suggestions are 100% welcome. I love hearing about improvement!
If you made something I used in my hack (besides a tool, that's tacky), please let me know and I'll add you to the credits. :)
the beat goes on (ノ^o^;)ノ
ヽ(;^o^ヽ) the beat goes on
( don’t stop the groovin’ )

Alexander Nicholi

We come close to find Singularity

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Oh cool a mystery type of story! Will you be replacing tiles and OW sprites or are you staying with the default ones?
With all of the tilesets (outdoor, indoor, cave, etc) I'm going to be splicing together the tilesets from Ruby, FireRed, and Emerald together into my own blend. I don't think there are any complete tileset collections out there that have the natural feel I want that Nintendo's has :P

I'm hoping to do palette changes with all of them as well, if you're curious. Not quite yet, though.

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Everything's looking good so far! I'll have to try out the alpha for myself, though. I'll give you some feedback once I do!
Thanks!

I thought I should share, with the event with Hinkage – if you collect all four of the shards out of the caves he'll take them and give you something in return for them. If you meet him and don't have all of them though, you won't be able to go back to get them. I thought that'd be interactive!

Percy

Male
Asia
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
3,005 posts
5.5 Years
The hack name Citrite sounds familiar. Anyway, I'll test the alpha later!

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
The hack name Citrite sounds familiar. Anyway, I'll test the alpha later!
KhaosKnight worked on a hack he mentioned in his Emerald titlescreen tutorial called Pokémon Citrine. Maybe it's that? I checked for this name.

And thanks!

Percy

Male
Asia
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
3,005 posts
5.5 Years
KhaosKnight worked on a hack he mentioned in his Emerald titlescreen tutorial called Pokémon Citrine. Maybe it's that? I checked for this name.

And thanks!
Ah, yes, it is Citrine! I followed that tutorial once!

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Alpha 1.0.1 has been pushed!

We've got a new map to explore, some trainers, and that means plenty of reason to grind your starter and maybe catch a mon or two. It's going to be a bit difficult without a PokéCentre, huh?

On the plate for alpha 1.0.2 are some bugfixes in Hinkage's script, some potential palette changes, and... maybe more trainers? I don't know. :)

Percy

Male
Asia
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
3,005 posts
5.5 Years
Oh yeah, I found out who made the FF byte patch. Here's the thread to it.

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Mind if I ask how long the alpha is? Sorry, I just don't like playing short alphas.
Since it's alpha 1.0, there isn't that much content just yet, unfortunately. I'd gander around maybe 10-20 minutes of gameplay thus far.

Just for reference, though: all of the game's content (at least until postgame) will be implemented in the alpha. I'm going to speed through area + event creation because the beta will be where I round out and fill in all of the details, sugar and spice.

Looks and sounds really good though!
Well thanks!

Speaking of which, alpha 1.0.2 is pushed!
The bugs in the Hinkage event have (hopefully) been fixed, some downsizes have been made with battles in the Amalthea Jungle (this isn't a challenge game), and I've sharpened the overworld palettes as well.

Alpha 1.0.3 should have a new event, and also the climax of the jungle with a closed off Amalthea Village... mysteries await!

UPDATE
I have pushed alpha 1.0.3!
Unfortunately one of my tools glitched and the promised palette changes for the overworld didn't carry on. To make up for that, I did an extensive edit of all of the overworld palettes, the main cave palettes, and the palettes of a lot of the people sprites!

Along with that I have made a massive update with the OP layout and its content. There's 24 brand-new screenshots straight outta the latest release, and the post's font has been changed to Play (thank the PokéCommunity for its web fonts!)

Also, another cool addition: Character profiles! Pictures and descriptions of the hero, Hinkage, Nicholi, and Alex have been released. I hope you enjoy that :)

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Impressive indeed. This Hack is an original piece. I look forward to its completion, A feature I especially look forward to is the Military Factions.
There'll be all sorts of angles that the story will take.

You have Hinkage and his MEGA Corporation, who more or less takes a neutral stance to the events and an alliance with the player, while his organization is riddled with bureaucracy and concern for business. Then you have the GKIP, and while Nicholi has your back and is a cool guy, the rest of the organization is more or less vigilante with a warped concept of justice (not plain evil). Then you have the Provisional Pokémon League headed by Alex and an unknown Elite Four who act as a voice of reason and hope for the people but often get swept up in the tabloids. The factions are purebred criminal vigilante groups who take advantage of Tohjo's extremely decentralized authority to do what they want. They have grunts lost in the life of crime and scientists lost in curiosity, all doing wrong. It's not like you'll be stopping them, though - I wouldn't be so cliché! ;D

Gray-_-Hatred

Crush Them All...

Age 21
Male
USA, NY
Seen March 28th, 2018
Posted November 1st, 2016
248 posts
4.9 Years
There'll be all sorts of angles that the story will take.

You have Hinkage and his MEGA Corporation, who more or less takes a neutral stance to the events and an alliance with the player, while his organization is riddled with bureaucracy and concern for business. Then you have the GKIP, and while Nicholi has your back and is a cool guy, the rest of the organization is more or less vigilante with a warped concept of justice (not plain evil). Then you have the Provisional Pokémon League headed by Alex and an unknown Elite Four who act as a voice of reason and hope for the people but often get swept up in the tabloids. The factions are purebred criminal vigilante groups who take advantage of Tohjo's extremely decentralized authority to do what they want. They have grunts lost in the life of crime and scientists lost in curiosity, all doing wrong. It's not like you'll be stopping them, though - I wouldn't be so cliché! ;D
Dang! I like where this is going. This is definitely one of the Darker hacks. Very grim. I love that kind of stuff! Keep it up, I assume there will be choices you make that can effect gameplay?

Lyfegurl

Female
Seen June 18th, 2017
Posted July 30th, 2016
11 posts
6.5 Years
I just tried out the alpha for this game and it was very interesting. Felt kind of weird not having like a potion or two before entering the forest and being surrounded by trainers. Died a few times not to waste the one potion i found before getting the whole lot later. So far the game is really good and interesting so keep it up. I don't mind testing anymore phases of the game you post. {<3}:){XD}
Life is a bit more fun when there is something ABLAZE!!! ;)

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Announcing... our biggest release yet!

My sincerest apologies for the slack with my pushes to Citrite. I lost my (crappy) Windows computer and just got a development environment set up on Arch Linux, and have been juggling school and other real life things... so yeah. At long last, alpha 1.0.4!

This alpha is a big update since it brings in our first town, completely mapped and scripted inside and out, in addition to a very complex and fancy centerpiece event when you start out. It was a lot of scripting with the Red Alien command-line compiler (no XSE or PKSV), so I'm glad it's finally done. :b
There's also now a place for you to heal your Pokémon. Which is great for a lot of you. :)

So... what are you waiting for? Download it!

If you don't have time to play right away, here are some teasers from the release:

Thank you for reading, and playing too!

Percy

Male
Asia
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
3,005 posts
5.5 Years
That's awesome :)
I just can't find the time to play it, unfortunately.
But I'll manage, I'm sure :)

Lyfegurl

Female
Seen June 18th, 2017
Posted July 30th, 2016
11 posts
6.5 Years
I just played the new patch and it was way better than last time. Thanks for giving the fresh water, which helped out with keeping my Meowth (Kitty) alive. The first village is very interesting as well as the plot with the whole Tohjo Champion bit. Kind of curious about the trading camp and the meditating old man. I wanna know whats behind his doors as well as the door the woman at the town hall is blocking. So many questions left unanswered, looking forward to the next patch. Keep it coming!!!:){<3};)
Life is a bit more fun when there is something ABLAZE!!! ;)

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
And, without further ado... alpha 1.0.5 is available!

This is a medium-sized release, and brings both a few bugfixes and some new content to the game. First off, there was a bug previous to this version where after fainting you'd be plopped all the way back to the beginning of the jungle after whiting out! This is now fixed. All you have to do is heal your Pokémon again.

Among other things, there's more of the Amalthea Jungle available now, on the other side of the Village. Lots of trainers to battle and new, potentially good Pokémon to catch in the wild!

Download Alpha 1.0.5

On the plate for alpha 1.0.6 are bugfixes to the event in the village town square, and the addition of some items to the Amalthea Jungle that you can pick up - both in Poké Balls and hidden in the grass.

Thanks for playing!

EDIT

I've pushed alpha 1.0.6!

(Hopefully) all of the bugs in Alex's event in the town square are fixed, and there are 11 different items to get in the new part of the Amalthea Jungle, both hidden and visible!

Download

On the plate for alpha 1.0.7 is a new unnamed map outside the jungle! It will be the first map in the Grand Prairie, and will lead up to the Trading Camp in later releases!

Future Releases

The Trading Camp marks the end of Alpha 1.0, thus beginning with alpha 1.1.0. We're moving along, eh? :)

chrunch

Male
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted January 20th, 2018
1,350 posts
10.4 Years
Just a little advice, I think your hack would get more attention if you waited until you had a sizable beta to release, instead of updating it whenever there's any little changes made. I personally haven't bothered trying it because I'm wasting time playing a 10 minute "alpha".

Alexander Nicholi

Age 21
Male
Seen December 22nd, 2019
5,492 posts
10.3 Years
Just a little advice, I think your hack would get more attention if you waited until you had a sizable beta to release, instead of updating it whenever there's any little changes made. I personally haven't bothered trying it because I'm wasting time playing a 10 minute "alpha".
Maybe Citrite's development cycle deserves a bit of explanation.

For certain, the game will have both an alpha and a beta stage, with a potential gamma stage after for more content. In the alpha, the entire game will be laid out, and plainly mapped + scripted quickly. There will be only minimal concern for quality and richness, so as to make it playable. Once all of the story has been laid out, the game will enter beta - this is where it will blossom. The beta will introduce all manner of new content and intricacies to the already laid out alpha, essentially "beefing it up" and making it more fun to play. After that, I may or may not bring the game into gamma if I want to continue at it adding new content, in both an alpha and beta fashion.

In addition to this abnormal (but strangely logical) system, I am making an effort to push frequently in the interest of the hack's health. It makes for a clearer progress map, and also smooths bug fixes.

I hope you understand :)
Advertiser Content