• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[FINISHED] Holiday Desktop Screenshots Contest

Years
  • 🎄 Holiday Desktop Screenshots Contest 🎅

Welcome

Hello, and welcome to the Holiday Desktop Screenshots Contest! The goal here is pretty simple, actually! All you have to do is take a screenshot of your desktop with a background that is themed around the holidays! Your desktop background doesn't have to be Pokémon-themed either, but it's definitely a nice touch!

The contest will run from December 5th through the GT's ending! So have fun and be creative! :)

Guidelines

Here are some guidelines that need to be taken into consideration:

1. Your background must be in compliance with the PokéCommunity rules!
    2. Please print-screen your desktop! Do not simply submit what background is currently on your desktop without showing us your desktop, or else your entry will not count.
    3. Please close any active windows you may have open on your desktop! We want to see the whole background and not have part of it covered!
    4. I recommend imgur as the location to upload your desktop screenshot. Not only do they have an easy user interface, but they also allow you to upload your clipboard (Ctrl+V) without having to open up an image editor to save and submit your submission.

Judging

Each entry will be judged based on three criteria: quality of the background, colors, and how well it contrasts overall with the icons and other colors.

Prizes!

The winner of the contest will get Gold-Tier Supportership! There's also a second place prize as well, which will be Silver-Tier Supportership here on PC! All other entrants will receive an emblem as well for participation.

Entry Form

If you're interested in participating, please submit your entry in this format!

Username:
    Image:
    Spoiler:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Two questions:

1. What if you don't have any icons on your desktop, can you still participate?
    E.g. those who use Ubuntu with Gnome desktop environment don't have icons on their desktop by default.

2. How you'll judge desktops without icons?
    Asking this because "how well it contrasts overall with the icons and other colors" judging criteria can't be fully used to iconless desktop, it can be only judged based on how well it contrasts with other colors which makes the judging easily biased when it comes to that criteria.

Easiest solution to the judging problem is to create two categories to the contest, one for desktops with icons (Windows users) and one for iconless desktops (Linux and Mac users) but it requires using another $20 for the prizes.

Years
  • Can supporters enter too?
    What happens if I get second place when I'm already silver tier?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Two questions:

1. What if you don't have any icons on your desktop, can you still participate?
    E.g. those who use Ubuntu with Gnome desktop environment don't have icons on their desktop by default.

2. How you'll judge desktops without icons?
    Asking this because "how well it contrasts overall with the icons and other colors" judging criteria can't be fully used to iconless desktop, it can be only judged based on how well it contrasts with other colors which makes the judging easily biased when it comes to that criteria.

Easiest solution to the judging problem is to create two categories to the contest, one for desktops with icons (Windows users) and one for iconless desktops (Linux and Mac users) but it requires using another $20 for the prizes.
    Of course icons are not a requirement! If you have no icons, then you're fine! :)

The only requirement I have is that it's just a screenshot of your desktop and not just a posting of the image you have. The only simple factor I might ask for in your situation is perhaps enabling your cursor in the screenshot if there's absolutely nothing else going on with all windows minimized.

Can supporters enter too?
    What happens if I get second place when I'm already silver tier?
    Of course! If you win second place then all it just means is that you will have $5 added onto your existing donation amount. ^^

Years
  • Ok thanks!

Username: Zanark Avalonic
    Image:
    Spoiler:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Sounds fun! I have a question though. Is it fine to have applications shown on the desktop? Like mine has different folders and stuff on it. Or is this removable without deleting them, so I can show just the desktop picture?

Years
  • Sounds fun! I have a question though. Is it fine to have applications shown on the desktop? Like mine has different folders and stuff on it. Or is this removable without deleting them, so I can show just the desktop picture?
    I'm not quite sure I understand your question. I'd recommend you not have any active programs maximized in your screenshot as that might take away from the clarity of the background but as long as they're minimized while screenshotting you should be fine. As for icons, again, up to you on how you want to do it :)

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I'm not quite sure I understand your question. I'd recommend you not have any active programs maximized in your screenshot as that might take away from the clarity of the background but as long as they're minimized while screenshotting you should be fine. As for icons, again, up to you on how you want to do it :)
    I thought it might have been worded badly.
    I mean do any files saved on the desktop need to moved out the way, likein the pictures posted above. I have a lot saved to my desktop, so I may have to reorganize them for this if that's the case, as they might be blocking the picture.( not that is a problem). Also sorry for the confusion.

Years
  • I thought it might have been worded badly.
    I mean do any files saved on the desktop need to moved out the way, likein the pictures posted above. I have a lot saved to my desktop, so I may have to reorganize them for this if that's the case, as they might be blocking the picture.( not that is a problem). Also sorry for the confusion.
    Yes please! If it covers your background then please just temporarily relocate them :)

Reactions: Z25
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Are customization tools allowed? I'm using Rainmeter for the clocks, launchers, etc.
    It's not very festive, but it's wintry so I hope it fits the theme well enough. :P

Username: Juno
    Image:
    Spoiler:

Back