• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Civilization V succession game!

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Civilization V succession game!

Civilization V Succession game!
    Hello, and welcome! In anticipation of Civ VI, let's play a succession game! What is a succession game? It's when players takes turns playing the same save file in succession - for a set number of turns. After the player has played his fair share of turns, he saves the game and uploads it for the next one in line to play.

Game info
    Spoiler:

Rules
    Turns per player: 40 (1 - 41; 41 - 81; 81 - 121; 121 - 161...)
    Each player will have ~72 hours to upload his save file following the previous player. If this doesn't seem like enough time, I'm more than happy to extend it to 86 hours (4 days), but I do want to keep the game moving relatively quickly for interest's sake. I'll be poking players next in line when new save files are uploaded to the thread. Of course, the player list will be public so if you want to take initiative yourself, feel free to let the following player know!

The beauty of the game is that we all steer it in our own direction. Have fun with it!!

Save file naming convention
    PC_SUCCESSION01_[USERNAME]_[TURN NUMBER]

for example...
    PC_SUCCESSION01_MARZ_0041

Where to find your save file
    Windows: My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single
    Mac: ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves
    Linux: ~/.local/share/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves

Please compress your .Civ5Save before attaching it to your post, or else the attachment is invalid!

Players (Round 01)
    marz
    Harley Quinn
    [g="daily"]El Héroe Oscuro[/g]
    gimmepie
    Rainbow
    Ullion

Signup for the next one! If you're interested, post in the thread and I'll notify you when we start the next game.
    Signup sheet
    Username:
    Expansions owned: (Gods & Kings, Brave New World, both or none)
    Comments: (any requests regarding game difficulty, map type, etc etc will be taken into consideration)

YouTube Let's Plays
    marz has been recording his progress in this succession game! In Episode 1 you can see the first 40 turns.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Username: Harley Quinn (pretty sure I can found as yzma on Steam)
    Expansions owned: I own all Civ V material as far as I can tell
    Comments: not reeeeeally sure how this works because I've never played a succession game before but perfectly willing to try

if the random civ turns out to be iroquois i'm gonna be so mad

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Username: El Heroe Oscuro
    Expansions owned: I need to double check but I'll update it later
    Comments: Iroquois all the way because Harley Quinn hates them.

Years
  • Username: gimmepie (might have numbers after on Steam, I'll double check)
    Expansions owned: All
    Comments: Babylon <3. Also, how/where do we upload our save file?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Username: gimmepie (might have numbers after on Steam, I'll double check)
    Expansions owned: All
    Comments: Babylon <3. Also, how/where do we upload our save file?

Thanks for joining! Save files are pretty small so we should be able to add attachments to posts in this threads. You can do that by hitting the paperclip icon next to the smilie face one in the post box menu. If that doesn't work, we can use free transferring services like WeTransfer.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Omg, I had a complete misconception about what this game mode was like and I was so confused. At first I thought it was we were all our own players in the same game but took 40 moves at a time before the next person went. That seemed completely nonsensical. :P

I think this is super neat though, and I'm totally in!

Username: Ullion
    Expansions owned: I believe all of them :)
    Comments: I'm cool with any difficulty.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Reactions: Her

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Ok so... I really like this game... So I'm done my 40 turns... Go Harley!

If you're curious, all the game info I chose is in the OP. Or you can avoid that at all costs and keep it a surprise for yourself when it's your turn.

It appears PC doesn't like the .Civ5Save file, so just compress the single file and upload it as a zip.

Attachments

• PC_SUCCESSION01_MARZ_0041.zip
      472.8 KB · Views: 1

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I'm drawing a parallel with that Minecraft minigame where you randomly switch positions with the opponent and need to set it up so they die instantly.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I've actually never made a ZIP file before lmao so tell me if I did it wrong but I don't think I did!
    I decided to resist the temptation to put female body parts in my city name - so if my personal fortitude goes to naught and my city is renamed, captured or outright destroyed, consider it tantamount to declaring war on me as well as the rest of the other Civs!

I will make sure your turns are filled with nothing but the radioactive bones of our own soldiers.

Attachments

• PC_SUCCESSION01_HARLEY_0081.zip
      553.9 KB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Does this mean it's my turn? If so, could someone walk me through step by step how to use that file correctly/have myself make my own zip file and upload it? Sorry im advance, I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to this stuff.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Does this mean it's my turn? If so, could someone walk me through step by step how to use that file correctly/have myself make my own zip file and upload it? Sorry im advance, I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to this stuff.

PMing you now.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Thanks bud. I'm going to be away from a computer until late late tomorrow night so is that okay? I don't want to delay the game too too much, but if you need to substitute me with someone else I understand.

Yea that's fine. Just give us a shout when you're done playing. If it looks like it'll take you more than three days we can pass it off to gimmepie to take over.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Hey guys! If you want to be totally spoiled on what's happening, I recorded and uploaded my first 40 turns onto the PC YouTube. I'm not the most entertaining guy, but I do try to explain what I'm thinking and my decision-making. I'll be recording when I get the save file back, too.

Spoiler:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Wish I could play with you all. This looks great. My Macbook can't handle it though, so I won't risk it. :'( Will enjoy seeing your progress through marz's videos.

Back