• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Forum Info: Roleplay Lobby [new roleplayers: start here!]

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
☆ Welcome to the Roleplay Lobby! ☆

This thread is your one-stop shop for everything roleplaying! If you want to jump right into it and introduce yourself or see who else is hanging around, feel free to click over to the most recent posts in this thread and tell us about yourself, ask a few questions, whatever you feel like! We also announce and discuss new roleplays and upcoming events here in this thread as they appear.

But if you're new or returning, it would be good to read this entire first post. Rules and guidelines live here, but so do things like mod bios, FAQs, and an overview of what this section has to offer. At its core, we do roleplaying here! But you're probably well aware that there are many different types of and approaches to RP, so we'll touch on several of them as we go. For more specifics, read on!

Let's begin by introducing your section staff! Click our names for a quick jump to our PC profiles.

Hi, I'm Anna and I'm writing all of this! I love to talk (in general) about roleplaying (specifically)! I primarily do long-form text roleplays. I place a lot of value on timely communication and I work best on a schedule, which is definitely different than a deadline! I am not well-versed in TTRPGs yet, but I find them interesting- I am fascinated by mechanics-based play, even though I am mostly a storyteller. I love to help people achieve their goals as players and GMs, so definitely leave me a VM if you wanna chat about something!

Eleanor
Nice to meet you! I'm Eleanor, the newest addition to the group. I'm mostly acquainted with long-form text roleplays as well, but also love to discuss and share ideas about characters, interactions, and settings! I'm a strong believer that there's a part of us in everything we write, and that's what draws me the most towards this hobby, as well as what I'm keen on improving and helping other writers with. I'm available on both Discord, for some quick chatting, or through Forum messages, if you want to talk in a more laid-back setting!

Hello, I'm Daniel, but most people around PC just call me GP. I mostly deal with long-form text RPs here on PC, but I'm also well-versed with TTRPGs (primarily D&D5e). You can expect to see me running a fair amount of both of those things here. I have a reputation for doing a lot of GMing. I love building worlds, characters and stories and RPing provides a unique way to do that as a collaborative and social exercise with others who love the same - I get pretty invested!

☆ Forum Basics

PC's roleplay area is divided into two sections: Roleplay Theatre and Roleplay Stage. Theatre is our main hub, which is home to several different thread types. Please use prefixes when making threads so they will be categorized correctly. We have a lot going on!

[Talk] is used for discussions centered around roleplaying! For example- how you develop your characters, how you pace a story for players, whether you prefer mechanics or storytelling, how to adapt TTRPGs to online play- things like that! We do experience some discussion overlap with Writer's Lounge, so make sure to check them out too- especially if you also deal in solo writing!

[Workshop] would be used when you have a roleplay idea, but aren't quite sure on some details or need some help getting things to fall in the right place. We'll help you figure stuff out as best we can!

[Interest Check] is more for when you have a really solid roleplay idea, but you want to gauge if people are able to join or interested in joining before you throw a thread out there. Invite people to ask questions and try to outline expectations you would have of people!

We then have, effectively, FIVE types of Out-Of-Character (OOC) threads. These threads are for people to talk about the roleplay, ask questions, post their characters, and whatever else the Game Master (GM) would like players to use them for. The first posts of these threads must always include the setting and general premise of the roleplay, a rundown of the mechanics, and a sign-up sheet. These three things must exist in these threads for it to be a viable roleplay!

[PKMN OPEN] is the prefix indicating a Pokémon roleplay that is still looking for players. Thread owners are responsible for changing the prefix to [PKMN FULL] when they are no longer seeking sign-ups.

[Other OPEN] is used for any roleplay that has nothing to do with Pokémon and again, is still looking for players! Thread owners should change the prefix to [Other FULL] when they have enough players.

The final OOC thread type is [Event]. Event roleplays are short-term, fast-paced roleplays usually hosted by the section moderators. We like to try different things at different times of the year but our annual Secret Santa event in December is a section staple! If you have an idea that you think would make a good event, come chat with one of us moderators!

Now, back to Roleplay Stage! It's a little simpler. Stage exclusively houses threads for in-character (IC) posting and gameplay. Only five of our prefixes are used there- [PKMN OPEN / FULL], [Other OPEN / FULL], and [Event]. The first ones should match the prefix on your OOC thread, and the last is for Event roleplays only. If you submit a thread in Stage, your thread will enter the moderation queue- that means a section moderator will have to look over your thread and approve it before it is visible to the public. For a Stage thread to be approved, it must already have a corresponding OOC thread in Theatre and a list of participants in either the first post of the OOC or the first post of the IC thread. The minimum number of players to start a roleplay is, in fact, two- it can be just the GM and a player if you want. After approval, you and anyone else will be able to submit replies to that thread without any hassle!

Not every roleplay will have or need an IC thread, though, and that's okay. For example: D&D campaigns might only have an OOC for sign-ups, and their sessions would probably be played out on a Discord call.

☆ Types of Roleplays

Let's preface with- I will absolutely not be able to cover every single style of roleplay with a little overview such as this. I bet I don't even know every kind! But here's a bunch that we are happy to host on PC. If you're unsure if your roleplay fits in, chat with a mod or post in this thread! It probably does, though.

Classically, we go for long-form text roleplays. This is often close to collaborative fiction-writing, with people writing on average over 1,000 words for every post (though that wordcount is not a hard and fast rule). Players usually write a single character each and explore the world the Game Master creates through that character. If players want their characters to do things together, they create a "Joint Post" (JP) via a shared document in Google Docs, Etherpad, or similar service. JPs are then posted as their own long post.

Back in the days before services that facilitated those JPs, people were more drawn to short-form text roleplaying. Posts for these RPs tend to average between 25 and 400 words, depending on what needs to be done. Players, again, usually control a single character, but instead of crafting a long JP if they want to interact with other characters, they will post their own characters' speech and actions in the IC thread, and wait for a response from another player before moving forward.

Now, of course, we also have Discord being a wonderful option for that conversational short-form style! If you would like to collect a group for a Discord-based RP, please go ahead and make an OOC thread detailing your premise and expectations.

If you are looking for a one-on-one experience, via Discord or PokéCommunity VMs or PMs or similar- opt for posting in the Partner Search thread. Please read through with care before doing so!

Tabletop Roleplaying Games (TTRPGs) are also welcome in the Roleplay sections! These games are hugely varied and can be run many different ways, from weekly voice sessions to text-based interaction. It fully depends on how the GM wants to adapt the game for online play. At the very least, GMs will create OOC threads in Roleplay Theatre to gather interested players.

Usually, in every single one of these styles, people like to play as their own original characters. But there's a big community of people that prefer to play as canon characters, too! If you want to make a roleplay where players choose canon characters to control, just make that clear in your OOC thread or partner search post.

We also allow play-as-yourself or play-as-your avatar roleplays! It is fully up to the GM how they would like to run these, but classically they are drop-in/drop-out games with a fairly general plot and setting.

Speaking of drop-in/drop-out games- again, they can mix with almost any format, but the difference is that there is little expectation of the player to stick out the entire roleplay, and usually a way for them to come back and play when they feel like it without having to work with a GM to be re-integrated into the current situation. Super casual and low-pressure!

☆ Rules

All PokéCommunity rules, of course, apply to this section as well as any other. But specific rules apply too!

✧ Double posting- one user posting multiple times in a row in a thread- should be kept to a minimum in Theatre. We have an Edit Post button for a reason! Double posting is allowed in Stage only if the GM of that particular RP allows it.

✧ Barring one-on-ones, RPs must be hosted on PokéCommunity- as in, there must be a viable OOC thread, even if the main gameplay takes place on Discord, Roll20, Foundry, or similar. Recruiting players in order to fully move off-site is not allowed.

✧ GMs may add their own rules to their roleplays, but they must not contradict the rules outlined here or the sitewide rules.

✧ Every roleplay must have a rating, and that rating must be very easy to find- either in the title of the thread(s), at the top of the first posts, or in the RP's own rules. The rating scale is:
⬩ K or K+ is for general audiences. Content is suitable for people of all ages. Think of it as something that would fit into the Pokémon Anime without raising eyebrows.
⬩ T for Teen will have content appropriate for the 13+ age group. Some romance, a few swears, some darker themes- but keep it mild.
⬩ M is Mature, and as the average age of our userbase gets higher this is what we find a lot of RPs being rated. Most things are on the table at this rating, but we will not allow explicit sexual content and we ask that graphic violence be kept to a minimum. It is also kind to your fellow players to put content warnings at the beginning of your posts if you are dealing with potentially distressing themes.​

✧ If a GM has dropped contact with their players without notice but is still active elsewhere on PC, their roleplay will be forfeited to the active players after a month and the players may appoint a new GM. If a GM has not logged into PC for a month or more and their roleplay is still active, the players who intend to continue may appoint a new GM.

✧ There are no original ideas, in a way. And we who make transformative content end up hitting the same beats over and over whether we realize it or not. That said- do not copy other roleplays without permission!

✧ Sequels to and revivals of RPs hosted by a different GM require permission from the previous GM, and should include a link to the first iteration in the opening post of the OOC. Proof of permission should be submitted to the moderators upon OOC thread creation.
⬩ Exception to this rule: if the original GM has not logged into PC for over three years, the roleplay may be adapted without permission. A link to the original run is still necessary for crediting purposes.
⬩ Exception to the exception: roleplays that were fully original creations- not set in an established franchise- are off-limits to anyone other than the original creator.​

☆ Discord Server / Off-Site Communication Policy

Game Masters on PokeCommunity tend to create Discord servers for their RPs, a practice that has a lot of benefits. But where do these servers stand in relation to PC's rules and guidelines, being off-site?

Simply stated, the PokeCommuity's overall Terms of Service do still apply. Violating those in an RP founded through PC can result in infractions or even bans both on the forums and on PC's community Discord server. Any server made for an RP on PC, that is then shared via PC and / or is required for optimal RP participation, is considered an off-shoot of the site and all rules and guidelines that apply on the forums and on PC's own Discord also apply there. We moderators won't necessarily be joining these servers ourselves, unless we happen to be in the RP, but we can and will enforce PC's rules in relation to those servers if need be. If you feel like someone is abusing the privacy provided by Discord or breaking PokeCommunity's rules, please contact a moderator immediately.

Discord servers that are created to facilitate a PC-based roleplay must not be exclusionary. All accepted players must be provided swift and equal access.

Things become a little bit trickier for servers that do not have access distributed via PC. If these servers become hotbeds for bullying or harassment, we may still take actions on the forums to reflect this. However, in general, we do not have any authority in relation to your private Discord servers. For this reason, so we can ensure a positive roleplaying experience for PC's members, we highly encourage GMs to make sure that their own servers fall under PC's jurisdiction by distributing server invites via VMs or their RP's OOC threads.

☆ FAQ

may be prone to expansion

How can I be a good roleplayer?
That's a hell of a question, isn't it? Unfortunately, all our guides and tutorials are pretty outdated at this point. If you want to peruse the last compilation thread, click here. Bear in mind that things do change over time, though, and information and practices may not be the same anymore. If anything differs from our more recent rules and section information, defer to the more recent statements. If you have more specific questions or want to have an in-depth discussion about various aspects or roleplaying, feel free to make a thread in Theatre! If you are already a confident and knowledgeable roleplayer with tips and tricks for new roleplayers, let's chat about making some new guides for our community!

Do people just write all this off the top of their head?
Not everything! Most long-form writers type our posts in some sort of word processor before moving them over to PC. Short-form roleplays don't always need that extra step, though, and players can get away with just typing their responses directly into the reply box.

Why do everyone's posts look so fancy?
PokéCommunity allows customization of posts in the form of modified CSS! It's absolutely not necessary to use- basic BBCode should be enough for anything you want to write. But lots of people like to add extra flavor and information into their posts this way. If a GM decides to require CSS, they will need to be ready to teach or provide templates to all their players.

How do I make my posts fancy?
Check out our CSS Guide & Help Thread, as well as the template thread we've linked within it! You can also learn the way a lot of us learn- quoting other people's posts and looking at their CSS that way. Do not directly copy another person's CSS without permission! I, Aquacorde, do give blanket permission for anyone to borrow CSS I have made for anything on this site. All I ask is that you credit me somewhere in there, especially if you are only changing things like colors and font families.
Remember, though: Legibility is key. People should be able to read your content with ease. If it's hard to read for you or anyone else, change it up! We also have a significant portion of people who access the site from mobile devices, so CSS must be mobile-friendly.

What is a co-GM?
Sometimes roleplays will have more than one GM to help facilitate. When that is the case, the GMs that are not the thread owner are referred to as the co-GMs. The role of a co-GM can be anything from an equal partnership with the GM to a "just here to maintain spreadsheets" kind of person- it fully depends on the RP and the people involved.

What are badges?
I'll just direct you to our comprehensive Badge Thread for that one!

Please let us know if there are any other questions you'd like to see included here. I realize it's not a very comprehensive FAQ- yet!

☆ Thanks for reading! ☆

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
uwu First

(hi! i've been RPing here since 2010 and made my marks i think)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
jesus when did 2010 get to be twelve years ago lmao

tbh pc was definitely my first intro to roleplaying but we dont talk about the two that i sort of did in like 2005 ahaha. we count from 2015 and the old World of PC forum~

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah it's crazy to think that I have been RPing here for over a third of my life wtf.

Anyways! Any new RPs up and coming? We've had two new ones recently but both with very few players. I think a new Nuzlocke RP will come too, sounds like it at least. But we want more 8) moar.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Halls of the Screwed is starting (IC is up!) and I'm excited to read it, see how people kill off their characters haha. I think GP's still taking new SUs yet too~ But that's three of the mods full up on RP capacity what with Sapphy running cute VDay event and Eleanor is in the middle of exams (rip). I'm interested to see what Ettenmoor comes out with! I assume Pokémon, but I don't think it's a reboot of Nuzlocke.

of course i have a bunch of rp ideas sitting around that will get used somehow someday but today is not that day

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
in other words: Join us and die 8D

edit: SV liked my post

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
So I'm craving a space RP. Do I.... make one? :fufu:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
mix of The Expanse / Star Trek / mecha anime stuff probs! Toss in a little space western themes too and it should be golden.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I've been wanting to start my own RP for some time but I feel a tiny bit disheartened. It would be PMD, possibly with table-top elements and different paths to take so anyone can RP how they prefer. But it appears that PMD RPs die very fast and the lack of activity in Sapphy's has me doubting if it's worth the effort?

I might still give it a go and hope my love/enthusiasm for the franchise carries through enough to interest people. :p Besides, I reckon I'm more cut out for GMing than being a player!

Technically I could turn it into a non-Pokémon RP (since I recognise I'm the odd one out to prefer writing as something non-human haha), but my heart wouldn't be in it, so...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I've been wanting to start my own RP for some time but I feel a tiny bit disheartened. It would be PMD, possibly with table-top elements and different paths to take so anyone can RP how they prefer. But it appears that PMD RPs die very fast and the lack of activity in Sapphy's has me doubting if it's worth the effort?

I might still give it a go and hope my love/enthusiasm for the franchise carries through enough to interest people. :p Besides, I reckon I'm more cut out for GMing than being a player!

Technically I could turn it into a non-Pokémon RP (since I recognise I'm the odd one out to prefer writing as something non-human haha), but my heart wouldn't be in it, so...
Sapphy's rp is an event that is very freeform and temporary, on purpose. If you go the way instead of trying to gather a close knit group that could explore a plot together and flesh out relations and interactions, it might be more motivating for people to join for the ride c: Perhaps. That's hard to do with big events where everyone is technically allowed to sign up, so in Sapphy's case having missions like that is easier.

Since the old minimum word limit per IC post is also gone now, I'd also suggest the approach of being lax and let your players post directly IC for small things instead of needing to be held up by JPs, but that's something each rp group best figures out on their own, what style suits them.

Hyzenthlay

Years
Sapphy's rp is an event that is very freeform and temporary, on purpose. If you go the way instead of trying to gather a close knit group that could explore a plot together and flesh out relations and interactions, it might be more motivating for people to join for the ride c: Perhaps. That's hard to do with big events where everyone is technically allowed to sign up, so in Sapphy's case having missions like that is easier.

Since the old minimum word limit per IC post is also gone now, I'd also suggest the approach of being lax and let your players post directly IC for small things instead of needing to be held up by JPs, but that's something each rp group best figures out on their own, what style suits them.

I suppose my concern is that Sapphy's RP hasn't gained traction despite being very free-flowing, short, easy, clear with missions etc. - so something long with plot and more complexity may not pick up, either! But also, I've been in... 3? PMD RPs before and witnessed a 4th one, and they all die off for some reason. ;__;

And yeah there'll definitely be an option to avoid JPs - I'm not that keen on them myself haha (and short posts will 100% be okay!). There'll essentially be the main chapter-based plot that will involve JPing to an extent, and then I'll either have smaller sub-plots for more casual players, or they can just... make their own missions and do whatever! I haven't fleshed it out too much yet.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
RPs die; that's just always been a fact here so dw about it c: while it is fun to see things progress and possibly also finish, the most important thing is that the people involved have fun for the duration. Not all RPs can miraculously be lucky like Trainers and still be alive 2.5 years after inception! /bows to anna and loomie & gang

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
I wouldn't be disheartened by the idea that PMD RP's die out quickly c: It's unfortunate when they die but if you as a GM keep yourself dedicated to the plot and players, the players will find it more fun to keep the ball rolling as well. In my event it's hard to explore any backstory elements or interact properly with others players to set something up. I've heard quite a few people that are wishing for a new PMD RP so it's always worth it to try!

Last edited:
Years
I suppose my concern is that Sapphy's RP hasn't gained traction despite being very free-flowing, short, easy, clear with missions etc. - so something long with plot and more complexity may not pick up, either! But also, I've been in... 3? PMD RPs before and witnessed a 4th one, and they all die off for some reason. ;__;

And yeah there'll definitely be an option to avoid JPs - I'm not that keen on them myself haha (and short posts will 100% be okay!). There'll essentially be the main chapter-based plot that will involve JPing to an extent, and then I'll either have smaller sub-plots for more casual players, or they can just... make their own missions and do whatever! I haven't fleshed it out too much yet.

In my experience, if you can gather a small group of players with enough investment in what you're doing, you'll be able to stay alive for a decent amount of time even if you move slowly. So reach out to people and see if you can spread the hype.

Hyzenthlay

Years
Hmm okay, I'll tinker around with my ideas a while longer and maybe start my OOC thread as an interest check before I dive in! For now, I'll continue observing the current RPs (and some YouTube campaigns!) to see what works best/what doesn't. Thanks everyone!

Years
I'd like to check if it's specifically the short-form aspect of my rp that seems to be turning people off, or other issues; or if I just haven't waited long enough to get responses?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'd like to check if it's specifically the short-form aspect of my rp that seems to be turning people off, or other issues; or if I just haven't waited long enough to get responses?

You do have a few things working against you tbh; we don't have a large amount of people who roleplay/check on the RP forums here (though we keep hoping to bring in new people!) and the recent roleplays that get new members in have done some.... let's say heavy-handed advertising in various places lmao. The GMs talk about their RP and what they're excited to do with it, and specifically talk directly to people who have shown interest in similar plots/ideas or RP in general, and follow up with them about signing up.

There is also the fact that not many of the people who do look into the RP sections are short-form people. This site has been pretty exclusively long-form for a long time, so those players are the ones who are around! It'd be good to change that and have all kinds of games, but it's just a fact of life right now unfortunately.

this rp community is also notoriously glacially paced and needs a lot of prompting to get started oop. also something that ideally changes in time lmaooo

Back