• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: “Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution” the next Pokémon Movie title

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
  • Let's not forget that with Gen 8 most likely coming for the Switch next year...

That a Gen 8 pokemon will likely be involved/important in this movie as well.

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • More like James Bond. They've been doing that since 1963 where at the end of each movie they have "James Bond will return in..." followed by name of the movie.

In any case, the lack of an Alola movie further buries Sun&Moon as the worst Pokemon series to date. Congratulations Best Wishes, you're no longer the Black Sheep of Pokemon.

I actually LIKE the gen 7 anime, best wishes was plain AWFUL.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I actually LIKE the gen 7 anime, best wishes was plain AWFUL.

Yet they made 3 movies involving the Best Wishes cast(as bad as they were). Sun and Moon has so far had zero movies dedicated to them and that's despite Movie 21 having 6 Protagonists or the same number as Sun and Moon. I can forgive TPC for Movie 20 as it was a 20th Anniversary film but nothing involving the SM Cast for Movie 21 and, it appears, Movie 22? I'm sorry but if TPC won't even make a Movie involving the Alola cast, its hard to say they are better than a region that had 3 movies.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yet they made 3 movies involving the Best Wishes cast(as bad as they were). Sun and Moon has so far had zero movies dedicated to them and that's despite Movie 21 having 6 Protagonists or the same number as Sun and Moon. I can forgive TPC for Movie 20 as it was a 20th Anniversary film but nothing involving the SM Cast for Movie 21 and, it appears, Movie 22? I'm sorry but if TPC won't even make a Movie involving the Alola cast, its hard to say they are better than a region that had 3 movies.

Look, I'm not a big fan of Sun and Moon either (in fact, I too think Sun and Moon's worse than Best Wishes. At least Best Wishes, for all of its really horrific faults, actually ALLOWED Ash to focus on his goal, which is far more than can be said for Sun and Moon), but the movies not focusing on Alola probably has more to do with the Kalos movies underperforming than Alola itself (though Sun and Moon having even worse ratings than XY certainly doesn't help matters in any case).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Is the 20th movie worth watching? I haven't watched the Alola series, nor have the desire to. I've seen some scenes from it, like Pikachu speaking, fighting Ho-Oh and the credits.

Recommended or skip?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Is the 20th movie worth watching? I haven't watched the Alola series, nor have the desire to. I've seen some scenes from it, like Pikachu speaking, fighting Ho-Oh and the credits.

Recommended or skip?

Its basically re-telling Episode 1 in an alternate universe where Brock and Misty aren't even in the movie but are replaced with two characters from the Sinnoh region(one of whom is implied to be Cynthia's daughter). Animation is solid(if not exceptional) but if you were looking for a retelling of Season 1, its not it. If you're a fan of Pokemon, its worth watching but I'm not sure where I'd rank it among Pokemon movies.

Years
  • Thanks for this, info guys!

______________________________________________________________________________________
    There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.
    All the best, Uarmani https://diceus.com/

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • It'll just continue the Kanto hype train for marketing purposes, remember that Gamefreak has stated that Mewtwo will play a much larger role in the story for Let's Go Pikachu! and Eevee. I just hope that Mewtwo kicks Giovanni's ass for good.

To be honest, the first movie was one of the worst in all the movies. It had good music and theme, but it just wasn't that great. If people didn't like it for Nostalgia, I think people will understand just how bad the first movie is.
    Dont' forget that 4kids made it worse than it really was.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It'll just continue the Kanto hype train for marketing purposes, remember that Gamefreak has stated that Mewtwo will play a much larger role in the story for Let's Go Pikachu! and Eevee. I just hope that Mewtwo kicks Giovanni's ass for good.

Let's hope this is a sequel for the movie (well, technically a sequel to Mewtwo Returns, but still) and not an outright remake/retelling. To be honest, I'm sick and tired of these retellings/AUs, and think they should actually get back to making movies directly ABOUT the region they're in.

And if it's true that this is the last saga for the anime, they might as well have Giovanni and Mewtwo duke it out, and have Mewtwo beat him for good (yes, Mewtwo did wipe out Giovanni's memory of Mewtwo's existence, but to be fair, all Giovanni needs are backups of his records to have it all come back to him, so Mewtwo will probably need to do a bit more than just wipe his memory).

And I'll admit that 4Kids' dubbing of that film wasn't exactly one of their better projects, including making some rather big errors, but it was good enough as it was.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • It'll just continue the Kanto hype train for marketing purposes, remember that Gamefreak has stated that Mewtwo will play a much larger role in the story for Let's Go Pikachu! and Eevee. I just hope that Mewtwo kicks Giovanni's ass for good.

Hyped for such trash game imo

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    What really annoyed me about the first movie is that they skipped over portions that were in the Japanese version of Mewtwo's origins that made it darker and more interesting, but in the USA version they were all 'nobody is allowed to dieee except maybe implied those scientists do'. If Mewtwo actually kills people in this movie / his clone friends die, I'll go see it. Especially if he kills Giovanni. That'd be sweet.
    What I don't get is why Giovanni doesn't just steal the money to clone another Mewtwo and hire a new round of scientists. Maybe they'll have two Mewtwos instead of one and have them face off against each other to show off their different forms?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    What really annoyed me about the first movie is that they skipped over portions that were in the Japanese version of Mewtwo's origins that made it darker and more interesting, but in the USA version they were all 'nobody is allowed to dieee except maybe implied those scientists do'. If Mewtwo actually kills people in this movie / his clone friends die, I'll go see it. Especially if he kills Giovanni. That'd be sweet.
    What I don't get is why Giovanni doesn't just steal the money to clone another Mewtwo and hire a new round of scientists. Maybe they'll have two Mewtwos instead of one and have them face off against each other to show off their different forms?

Well, to be fair, Mewtwo Returns implied it would take years to make another Mewtwo if the one they currently captured died under their care (Giovanni obviously didn't care since he wanted Mewtwo to suffer as revenge for his earlier rebellion), if they are even able to at all. Besides, whose to say they didn't? That Mewtwo special that led up to the Genesect Movie mentioned that the Mewtwo of that movie got created by some group earlier. Could easily be Team Rocket who was responsible in some way. And you have to admit, given all the data Giovanni would have had on Mewtwo relating to research and development, I'm pretty sure he would have at the very least deduced he had at least some involvement in any R&D on it even with his memory wipe.

As far as the first movie, in all fairness, it would have been difficult trying to do that for the intended age bracket. They'd need to rate it PG for it to fly, maybe even as high as PG-13.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Well, to be fair, Mewtwo Returns implied it would take years to make another Mewtwo if the one they currently captured died under their care (Giovanni obviously didn't care since he wanted Mewtwo to suffer as revenge for his earlier rebellion), if they are even able to at all. Besides, whose to say they didn't? That Mewtwo special that led up to the Genesect Movie mentioned that the Mewtwo of that movie got created by some group earlier. Could easily be Team Rocket who was responsible in some way. And you have to admit, given all the data Giovanni would have had on Mewtwo relating to research and development, I'm pretty sure he would have at the very least deduced he had at least some involvement in any R&D on it even with his memory wipe.

As far as the first movie, in all fairness, it would have been difficult trying to do that for the intended age bracket. They'd need to rate it PG for it to fly, maybe even as high as PG-13.

True enough, but what annoys me is that Japanese kids clearly had no problems seeing the other clones die, yet in the movie release I saw they felt the need to cut it out for American kids. Kids are more robust than people think, they're not totally stupid. It reminds me of how Harry Potter changed its title to Sorceror's Stone in America because Americans are considered to be ignorant.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    True enough, but what annoys me is that Japanese kids clearly had no problems seeing the other clones die, yet in the movie release I saw they felt the need to cut it out for American kids. Kids are more robust than people think, they're not totally stupid. It reminds me of how Harry Potter changed its title to Sorceror's Stone in America because Americans are considered to be ignorant.

True, but if it was particularly graphic deaths, I can probably forgive the change, since that would scare the audience needlessly even when they are robust (you don't, after all, want to show your kid Senator Kelly's death in the X-Men movie where he basically turned into water, for example.).

espeon95

No time to question my moves...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 24, 2018
    I'm excited for this, although I do agree that Pokemon has been appealing way too much to people's sense of nostalgia in recent years. With regards to movies, I just think they're getting a bit desperate because the most recent movies based on new regions/Pokemon haven't done so well so they're relying on something nostalgic that they're more confident will do well in the box office. I can't blame them for the choice and I would honestly rather watch something familiar about a legendary I know I like than risk wasting my time on a half-hearted brand new film. I doubt Pokemon Go has helped matters either with the pandering to generation one, but hopefully as soon as the Let's Go games are released Pokemon can move on for a few years and focus on the new gen!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Evolution in title should be a red flag for anyone who?s seen other incarnations of series with Evolution in its title(Code Lyoko comes to mind). Granted, rather than taking a hostile stance to this movie, we may, AFAIK this hasn?t happened yet, but we may finally see Mewtwo?s two Mega Evolutions(hence why Evolution is in the title).

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Evolution in title should be a red flag for anyone who?s seen other incarnations of series with Evolution in its title(Code Lyoko comes to mind). Granted, rather than taking a hostile stance to this movie, we may, AFAIK this hasn?t happened yet, but we may finally see Mewtwo?s two Mega Evolutions(hence why Evolution is in the title).

Agreed. Let's hope its for the main anime timeline this time and not the AU timeline we're getting right now (believe me, the main timeline's already screwed up regarding only showing Mewtwo's Y Evolution with a different Mewtwo. It's best the original actually has the X Evolution). I've had enough of the AU timeline as it is.

Years
  • A Mewetwo movie is always great but I personally feel I will not like this if this is settled in the AU timeline. I hope this movie is settled in the main Pokemon anime timeline. That's all I ask for.

Back