• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pkmin3033

Would you like me to tell you what kind or would you like to figure it out on your own?
    If you know, by all means. xD;

I think it might be this one, but honestly moth identification has never been my strong suit, and there are a LOT of brown moths, and none of them look *quite* right to me.

Also had this in my bathroom a couple of months ago and I never figured out which of the emerald moths it was:
    Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • If you know, by all means. xD;

I think it might be this one, but honestly moth identification has never been my strong suit, and there are a LOT of brown moths, and none of them look *quite* right to me.

Also had this in my bathroom a couple of months ago and I never figured out which of the emerald moths it was:
    Spoiler:

Your brown moth is one of the leafrollers, possibly the Oblique-Banded Leafroller. As for your emerald, what part of the world do you live in? If you're in North America, it could be a White-Fringed Emerald; if you're in the UK, it may be a Small Emerald.

pkmin3033

Your brown moth is one of the leafrollers, possibly the Oblique-Banded Leafroller. As for your emerald, what part of the world do you live in? If you're in North America, it could be a White-Fringed Emerald; if you're in the UK, it may be a Small Emerald.
    Sounds about right - just compared the one in my kitchen to a search. Not sure why that didn't show up on the sites I checked...either way, thanks for pointing it out!

It's been sitting there for four days now...it is definitely alive, it's clinging to the edge of the leaf. It's either moving around at night and going back to the exact same spot, or it hasn't moved at all. xD

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Wow! The rainbow Scarab Beetle is gorgeous. Lucky you! Glad to hear how this beauty has been thriving in your company over these last month's. Nice photo I might add, looks fit for an editon of National Geographic. You have a really good camera.

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips for caretaking orchids? Acquired some, and lovely as they are, I don't have experience growing them--it was a gift. A friend of mine recommend giving them water by putting ice cubes in their potted soil. They seem to be surviving okay for now these last few weeks with that advice. I know they are unusual and delicate plants though, and I want this one to stay strong. Any other suggestions I should hear? I thought that the Nature Club would be a good place to ask. I might add photos of the new orchid later if that will help.

What sort of orchids are they? I have quite a few cymbidiums, but no others, unfortunately! A photo would be nice, if you can. :D

Name: Pok3pals
    The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Cherrim
    The plant you will raise: Black Cohosh
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Dragonflies

Welcome to the club, Pok3pals! Black Cohosh is pretty, I haven't heard of it before. Have any stories to tell us of the nature in your area? ^_^

Name: Dawn
    The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Volcarona
    The plant you will raise: Atropa belladonna
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Grasshoppers :3

OK, I am long overdue posting in here. xD

What prompted me is that I've had this sitting on my somewhat dead (well, the flowers at least D:) orange daisy for the last couple of days:
    Spoiler:

Welcome, Dawn!! Hmm, I hope you don't have any sinister plans with that deadly nightshade of yours... And our house gets overrun with moths like those at certain times of the year!

You guys are all welcome to discuss animals here now, too! I've still got to overhaul the OP, but that will have to be after the holidays. :P

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Already posted this in the coffee lounge before the club was up, but here's that montage of my favorite and flashiest moths again (edited to include an Ironweed Clearwing I stumbled across back in August):

Spoiler:

And here are my favorite and flashiest caterpillars (I've even got a few butterfly caterpillars in there). Still hoping for a Tersa Sphinx and Hickory Horned Devil!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • What sort of orchids are they? I have quite a few cymbidiums, but no others, unfortunately! A photo would be nice, if you can. :D

Here is a photo I took of our little orchid. Do you recognize it? There was a little picture that came with it, but it didn't say the name of the type of orchid is was. Could it perhaps be a kind of cymbidium like yours?

🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

Hyzenthlay

Years
  • Here is a photo I took of our little orchid. Do you recognize it? There was a little picture that came with it, but it didn't say the name of the type of orchid is was. Could it perhaps be a kind of cymbidium like yours?

Ah, that looks like a moth orchid, or phalaenopsis! Beautiful flowers! :) I've never owned one, but they make good house plants - just be sure it gets plenty of light and keep the potting mix slightly damp, but never too wet because orchids don't like wet feet. They don't need a proper, full watering very often, maybe once a week depending on the weather, and when you do I'd recommend fertilising it with a fertiliser designed for orchids. You want to encourage them to bloom for as long as possible!

What's the potting mix like? If the pot is small you may need to repot them after they finish flowering and seem to go dormant, especially if they look really cramped. Orchids like good circulation between their roots. You should be able to get a decent orchid potting mix from most garden stores. There are YouTube tutorials on how to repot orchids when they need it, which explain the best mixes for them!

I hope that helps a little! They seem to be in a good place by the window right now. :)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Now that discussion of all wildlife is allowed, here are a couple birds I've seen that I thought were really cute/neat:

Spoiler:

I'd probably be more into birds if it wasn't so hard to get pics of them!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Now that discussion of all wildlife is allowed, here are a couple birds I've seen that I thought were really cute/neat:

Spoiler:

I'd probably be more into birds if it wasn't so hard to get pics of them!

Love the titmouse! My favorite bird is the Peregrine Falcon, such a rich history dating back at least to the Huns using them and can break 200mph (320kmh) when in their stoop!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Love the titmouse! My favorite bird is the Peregrine Falcon, such a rich history dating back at least to the Huns using them and can break 200mph (320kmh) when in their stoop!
    Including non-local birds, my top favorite may be the Golden Pheasant. I was always fascinated with legends of the phoenix (my favorite mythical creature) and the Golden Pheasant looks close to how I'd imagine the mythical bird to look!

Hyzenthlay

Years

• Hello, everyone! I hope each of you enjoyed the holidays - whether or not you celebrate Christmas, it's always nice to bring a little nature home for some December cheer. :)

Now that 2020 has come to an end, I'd like us to share some positive experiences from the year. What were your highlights? Especially experiences with nature, animals included, of course!

Perhaps you took up gardening and it was a success, or encountered something special on a memorable walk? Maybe you've seen dazzling sunrises and sunsets? Have you swam, hiked, explored, if that was open to you? Seen some amazing animals and insects? It doesn't matter how small! <3

While you're here, do consider stopping by the End of the Year Fest and voting for your favourite clubs! If one of them happens to be this club, well, I'd very much appreciate your vote! ^__^

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Now that 2020 has come to an end, I'd like us to share some positive experiences from the year. What were your highlights? Especially experiences with nature, animals included, of course!

Perhaps you took up gardening and it was a success, or encountered something special on a memorable walk? Maybe you've seen dazzling sunrises and sunsets? Have you swam, hiked, explored, if that was open to you? Seen some amazing animals and insects? It doesn't matter how small! <3

Finding the Eyed Paectes, Ironwing Clearwing, and the Spun Glass and Stinging Rose Caterpillars—two caterpillars that were very high on my wishlist—have probably been my biggest nature-related highlights of the year. :D

Spoiler:

I also found a male Eastern Amberwing that I'd been wanting, the Rainbow Scarab Beetle I posted previously, and a very cool Long-tailed Salamander, learned that pawpaw flowers are carrion-mimics (kind of like Vileplume, though not nearly as huge or potent as Rafflesia), and touched live snakes for the first time in my life.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Since the two threads cover similar themes, would it be possible to merge my RealDex thread here? Basically everything I'd post there is something I'd also post here. Or we could just add a new RealDex to the second post here and I can stop updating my original thread.

Years
  • I wanted to stop by and congratulate our sunny and talented Nature Club owner and hostess Hyzenthlay for winning 1st runner up in the Clubhouse End of Year Festival, and also congratulate and cheer for all of you awesome nature lovers who helped carry this club to second place. Exciting!

Hyzenthlay

Years
  • Thank you all so much for your support and your presence, you made it possible to achieve second place! I'm so thrilled to be a runner up when all those wonderful clubs from 2020 made the End of the Year Fest. <3 And I'm happy to share this lovely little trophy with you all! Thank you again, everyone! I promise that a big update is set for the future. :)

Finding the Eyed Paectes, Ironwing Clearwing, and the Spun Glass and Stinging Rose Caterpillars—two caterpillars that were very high on my wishlist—have probably been my biggest nature-related highlights of the year. :D

Spoiler:

I also found a male Eastern Amberwing that I'd been wanting, the Rainbow Scarab Beetle I posted previously, and a very cool Long-tailed Salamander, learned that pawpaw flowers are carrion-mimics (kind of like Vileplume, though not nearly as huge or potent as Rafflesia), and touched live snakes for the first time in my life.

Spoiler:

Since the two threads cover similar themes, would it be possible to merge my RealDex thread here? Basically everything I'd post there is something I'd also post here. Or we could just add a new RealDex to the second post here and I can stop updating my original thread.

Wow, you've seen some amazing critters in the last year, I especially love those caterpillars! I'm going to upload my own list of the insects I photographed since making the club. I don't know all their names, so perhaps you can help me identify some. :)

Also, I think combining your RealDex thread with this club is a terrific idea! You can certainly keep updating in this thread, and since I actually have two soft-deleted posts reserved below my opening post, I can dedicate one to your RealDex! That would mean you send me all your organised photos/findings and I'll add some CSS to organise it all, and anyone can contribute. :D

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Congrats on second place! I honestly think we could've made it to first had the timing been better (not too many active insects/plants this season). Hopefully the club will start picking up pace when spring gets here!

In the meantime, here are a few more of my past finds:

Spoiler:

Wow, you've seen some amazing critters in the last year, I especially love those caterpillars! I'm going to upload my own list of the insects I photographed since making the club. I don't know all their names, so perhaps you can help me identify some. :)

Yeah, last year was pretty fruitful. Hopefully this year will wield just as many or more interesting newbies!

I'm still no expert, but I'll certainly try to help identify your finds!

Also, I think combining your RealDex thread with this club is a terrific idea! You can certainly keep updating in this thread, and since I actually have two soft-deleted posts reserved below my opening post, I can dedicate one to your RealDex! That would mean you send me all your organised photos/findings and I'll add some CSS to organise it all, and anyone can contribute. :D

Sent you a PM!

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

Years
  • Wow, that's an impressive list you sent! :D Okay, I'll create some CSS and arrange it into a gallery, then I'll get your feedback via PM before making it into a post!

It's a lovely season for birdlife, I only wish they'd hold still for a moment so I could get a clear picture! We've had Australian Ringnecks and Western Rosellas play in our birdbath all summer, as well as many other birds, like honeyeaters, silvereyes, white-breasted robins, scarlet robins, red wattlebirds, fantails, fairy wrens--even crows and kookaburras come to visit! I have a book on Australian birds somewhere, I should make a list of all the ones I've seen.

As a topic: What's the birdlife like in your part of the world? Can you identify and name the birds you see?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • It's a lovely season for birdlife, I only wish they'd hold still for a moment so I could get a clear picture! We've had Australian Ringnecks and Western Rosellas play in our birdbath all summer, as well as many other birds, like honeyeaters, silvereyes, white-breasted robins, scarlet robins, red wattlebirds, fantails, fairy wrens--even crows and kookaburras come to visit! I have a book on Australian birds somewhere, I should make a list of all the ones I've seen.

As a topic: What's the birdlife like in your part of the world? Can you identify and name the birds you see?
    Oh, that's right. Our winter is your summer.

There are so many cool birds in your part of the world! I'm no "birder," but some of the most striking species I've noticed here include blue jays, northern cardinals, American goldfinches, ruby-throated hummingbirds, scarlet tanagers (seen once), yellow-headed blackbirds (seen once), and hooded warblers (seen twice). We also get blue herons(?) sometimes and had several hawks (broad-winged, I think) hanging around last year. My personal fave is the tufted titmouse, though.

EDIT: Also, unrelated to birds, here's another possible entry for the RealDex

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am writing a story right now about a character who is a beekeeper, and I found some really interesting information about the cultural significance of bees to many different civilizations Rome, India, Greece, Egypt, China. I thought some of our my fellow nature lovers might enjoy this read about our hard-working winged friends.

https://www.moraybeedinosaurs.co.uk/legends.html

For instance it was believed in days of old in Britain and Scotland that the soul could leave the body in the form of a bee. I especially was delighted reading about how in Cornwall you were supposed to talk to your bees, entertain them like sing to them, and treat then as part of your family, and tell them all about the important life events like if your household was moving, or of there was a death in the family, wedding or birth. You were expected to even bring bees back food and drink from the celebrations, and decorate their hives.

Back