• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • So as of today, in memoriam of my dearly departed Zebra Jumper Brad, I've just officially signed up to be on a waiting list for a male Regal Jumping Spider!! Warning, spider image below for arachnophobes!:

Spoiler:

Look at those blue-green chelicerae! And the white smile on his abdomen! I'm so excited, I already have wingless fruit flies and pinhead crickets on the way for when he's ready to be shipped. He should be about instar 7 or 8 when I get him.

Any recommendations for names for this handsome little prince? I'm thinking something noble to honor his regal heritage. Amadeus maybe? Perhaps Markus? Suggestions appreciated!! (。'▽'。)♡

RIP, Brad.

Although there are some really cool orb weavers out there, jumpers have to be my favorite type of spider (never kept any as pets, though). My favorite species—at least of the ones I've encountered—is probably the Emerald (Golden) Jumper.

Spoiler:

As for name suggestions for your new buddy, how about Phillip? It sounds regal and shares several characters with the genus name (Phidippus).

Years
  • Name: Figure16
    The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Sawsbuck
    The plant you will raise: Tamarack seedling
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Snow Crab

So since this is titled Nature and not specifically Entomology are there going to be events based off of other phylum and species? So I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest (still live here just more South than I used to be). I grew up on 15 acres in the sticks and I was always outside with my dog exploring, climbing trees, and pretty much anything else I could find to do. I have always had a huge love of nature and my most recent tattoo is of a Peregrine Falcon. I've seen countless bears, moose, deer, and all of the other common fauna of the area and at one house I lived that had an apple tree in the yard, I got a deer to take an apple from my hand that I had been working on for weeks. I chose Tamarack for my plant because I have felled several as firewood for my parents cabin but I never did so lightly because of the respect I have for nature and we only ever took trees that were dead already (as you should do). I picked Sawsbuck to represent me as I feel it is a great representative of the PNW wildlife. The reason I chose snow crab is because it is my crab of choice when I make crab pot for my girlfriends birthday. 😊

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • What an honour to have won Club of the Month! I'm thrilled! Any ideas for how to celebrate?

🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

I mean there's enough animals in the world to have its own club without it being to minimal. Technically there's enough bugs in the world for the same thing but you just chose to put them together. I almost feel like it would be to much if we included animals seeing as how with VPP this is for Grass and Bug types.

That's true, though would you be okay with VPP in a wildlife club when most Pokémon qualify as being animal-like? It would mean sorting through them all again. :p Or maybe it could be all Pokémon in the Field egg group, since they are the ones that most closely resemble animals and it's already sorted for you!

I love Shiny Mothim, too! My full-odds Gen. IV Shiny Mothim, which I spent nearly a year hunting, is my most prized Shiny. Sadly, since it didn't make it into SWSH or the DLC, now it's imprisoned in HOME until DP remakes. :(
    SNIP

Wow, that would certainly become my prized shiny, too! It's such a shame that Mothim is left out so often. I honestly wish they'd give it a buff because Mothim is quite frail, but even so I happily add one to my team when I can! Hopefully that shiny of yours will make a comeback soon.

A moth-like Eeveelution is a great idea! I can already picture it as a poodle moth with that white ruff of hair, feathered antennae and soft wings.

Here is the first part of my beginner's expedition. These Fuchsia-colored beauties are fortunately right in my front yard, they are sasanqua camellias. My mother planted them. They bloom best in semi-sun. They are native to China and Japan. My mom tells me that they grow smaller than other camellias in her garden like the Japonica. Sasquana is more like rose bush size, which is a fine height for me.

Spoiler:

Ah, I love camellias, and these are just stunning! They still look gorgeous when their petals have fallen all around the bush after the flowers die. <3 They don't grow well in this climate unfortunately, though I've seen them growing in people's yards in the city. They can indeed grow very tall, but I also like the rosebush size!

I think you might appreciate this rose that recently bloomed in our garden, Sam. It smelt as beautiful as it looks and the petals were softer than silk (my mum made rose water out of them). Such a beautiful rose bush. Unfortunately, I don't know the name, however!

Spoiler:

Name: Dave.

The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Torterra

The Plant that you would raise.: A Mango Tree (Mangifera indica). I think it is necessary to know about scientific names.

Favourite Bugs/Insects/Arthropods: Centipede (Chilopoda), Ladybug (Coccinellidae), Milipede (Diplopoda) and Mountain Grasshopper (Melanoplus alpina).
    I will first find what should I research.

Welcome to the club, Dave! You're right, knowing the scientific names is important. Sadly I have no memory for these names unless I write it down about 10 times alongside a photograph to imprint it in my mind, haha, but I try!

I love Torterra, as well! Have you or your family ever planted a mango tree?

Well hi guys,
    Umm..
    So May I ask you a question,
    A dog has given birth to the pup and I cannot decide a nice name for her. Would you help me to suggest a name for her???

Her Pic

I think Opal suits her, as Fairy suggested! She's a beautiful dog. Did you find a name for her yet? Usually I find names just come to you as you get to know the animal!

I just wanted to pop in here briefly and say that so far I've planted over 140 Daffodil bulbs across the neighborhood (in white, yellow, and pink!) and was lucky enough to come across a yellow-sided Garder snake while doing so!! I was so happy to see the gorgeous creature. :') Pics to come!

I know I'm not an official member of the club but I hope you don't mind my little contribution!

That's terrific, I bet the neighbourhood looks dazzling when they're all in bloom! It must really lift people's spirits! I adore flower bulbs myself. <333 Though I wouldn't want to come across a snake in my garden haha, since it would have to be a lethally venomous tiger snake or dugite over here (we get them on the property), but I'd love to see that garter when you have time!

And feel free to drop by the club any time you like!

This was a cool video I found of unique insects that can be raised as pets. My favorite has got to be the female flower mantis used in the screen cap. It's a work of art! The poodle moth is my second choice. It seems like something that would exist in a Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts movie, yet reminds me a little of Frosmoth too. The sunset moth is also very pretty.

Ah, those critters are all so fascinating! The mantis is definitely my favourite and would make the best "pet" out of them, I think. The walking stick also, but it reminds me too much of the cave of insects from Indiana Jones, so I must admit they make my skin crawl, haha!

Anyone remember this?

So as of today, in memoriam of my dearly departed Zebra Jumper Brad, I've just officially signed up to be on a waiting list for a male Regal Jumping Spider!! Warning, spider image below for arachnophobes!:

Spoiler:

Look at those blue-green chelicerae! And the white smile on his abdomen! I'm so excited, I already have wingless fruit flies and pinhead crickets on the way for when he's ready to be shipped. He should be about instar 7 or 8 when I get him.

Any recommendations for names for this handsome little prince? I'm thinking something noble to honor his regal heritage. Amadeus maybe? Perhaps Markus? Suggestions appreciated!! (。'▽'。)♡

Aw, RIP poor Brad! I hope his successor arrives safe and healthy! Phillip sounds like an awesome name. :D Jumping spiders are my second favourite next to Christmas spiders (Austracantha)! The hatchlings are so cute - I've once had dozens of them weave delicate silk across my fingers, dancing about and flying off in the wind! <3

I'd love to hear more about how to care for pet spiders!

Name: Figure16
    The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Sawsbuck
    The plant you will raise: Tamarack seedling
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Snow Crab

So since this is titled Nature and not specifically Entomology are there going to be events based off of other phylum and species? So I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest (still live here just more South than I used to be). I grew up on 15 acres in the sticks and I was always outside with my dog exploring, climbing trees, and pretty much anything else I could find to do. I have always had a huge love of nature and my most recent tattoo is of a Peregrine Falcon. I've seen countless bears, moose, deer, and all of the other common fauna of the area and at one house I lived that had an apple tree in the yard, I got a deer to take an apple from my hand that I had been working on for weeks. I chose Tamarack for my plant because I have felled several as firewood for my parents cabin but I never did so lightly because of the respect I have for nature and we only ever took trees that were dead already (as you should do). I picked Sawsbuck to represent me as I feel it is a great representative of the PNW wildlife. The reason I chose snow crab is because it is my crab of choice when I make crab pot for my girlfriends birthday. 😊

Welcome to the club, Figure! Tamarack looks exquisite as they turn to gold. <3 About the club, I was originally intending to make a wildlife club (so basically all wild animals, which ended up being apart from insects) separately from this club, as this one was more for topics on plants, gardening, different landscapes and experiences in nature, that sort of thing! This is because the club becomes too broad when encompassing all forms of life - at least, as the club owner. But since several members have already started discussing wild animals here I'm going to set up a poll to make a decision, then rework the club as necessary. :)

Sorry about that ramble, haha! Anyway, sounds like you have some lovely outdoors stories to share! Perhaps you'd be willing to share any photos you're comfortable with? Entirely up to you - there's always the choice to paint a picture of your area with words! ^^ It just sounds like the nature there is breath-taking. :)

I love your story about the deer - I've had similar experiences, and it's such a rewarding and precious moment when you've developed that trust with an animal, isn't it? I hope to hear more from you!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Wow, that would certainly become my prized shiny, too! It's such a shame that Mothim is left out so often. I honestly wish they'd give it a buff because Mothim is quite frail, but even so I happily add one to my team when I can! Hopefully that shiny of yours will make a comeback soon.

A moth-like Eeveelution is a great idea! I can already picture it as a poodle moth with that white ruff of hair, feathered antennae and soft wings.
    Let's hope that it gets more recognition in the DP remakes in the form of Gigantamax (or Mega if they decide to bring that back). Despite evolving from a bagworm, Mothim actually draws a lot of inspiration from Death's Head Hawkmoths (aka Bee-Robbers). I feel that Mothim would have a lot more fans if this was more apparent, given the popularity of these moths.

YESSS!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Aw, RIP poor Brad! I hope his successor arrives safe and healthy! Phillip sounds like an awesome name. :D Jumping spiders are my second favourite next to Christmas spiders (Austracantha)! The hatchlings are so cute - I've once had dozens of them weave delicate silk across my fingers, dancing about and flying off in the wind! <3

I'd love to hear more about how to care for pet spiders!
    OMG Phillip is perfect!! The scientific name for the Regal Jumper is Phidippus regius so they kinda sound the same!! I love that, thank you so much! (´▽`ʃƪ)♡ He shall henceforth be Prince Phillip, first of his name!

I'll be sure to update the moment Phillip is in his new enclosure. I've already collected some really pretty quartz, bioactive soil, a water dish, and his hide so all I need is my little prince! Though, right now the enclosure is big enough to put some more enrichment so I might see what's on sale at some Halloween stores, maybe I can get a cute hollow skull or something. :3

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • OMG Phillip is perfect!! The scientific name for the Regal Jumper is Phidippus regius so they kinda sound the same!! I love that, thank you so much! (´▽`ʃƪ)♡ He shall henceforth be Prince Phillip, first of his name!

I'll be sure to update the moment Phillip is in his new enclosure. I've already collected some really pretty quartz, bioactive soil, a water dish, and his hide so all I need is my little prince! Though, right now the enclosure is big enough to put some more enrichment so I might see what's on sale at some Halloween stores, maybe I can get a cute hollow skull or something. :3

Oh no, the credit isn't mine, haha! I was agreeing with Icy for suggesting Phillip, as he noted the similarly to Phidippus! So I'm passing this gratitude on to him! 😄

Looking forward to Phillip's arrival!!! He'll be living like royalty from the sounds of it. :D

Years
  • Welcome to the club, Figure! Tamarack looks exquisite as they turn to gold. <3 About the club, I was originally intending to make a wildlife club (so basically all wild animals, which ended up being apart from insects) separately from this club, as this one was more for topics on plants, gardening, different landscapes and experiences in nature, that sort of thing! This is because the club becomes too broad when encompassing all forms of life - at least, as the club owner. But since several members have already started discussing wild animals here I'm going to set up a poll to make a decision, then rework the club as necessary. :)

Sorry about that ramble, haha! Anyway, sounds like you have some lovely outdoors stories to share! Perhaps you'd be willing to share any photos you're comfortable with? Entirely up to you - there's always the choice to paint a picture of your area with words! ^^ It just sounds like the nature there is breath-taking. :)

I love your story about the deer - I've had similar experiences, and it's such a rewarding and precious moment when you've developed that trust with an animal, isn't it? I hope to hear more from you!

It's no problem to post some pictures, my girlfriend is more of the picture taker but I will see what's on my phone. 😀

Edit: On that note, how do you post photos from your PC? I know how to post the URL from a photo on the internet but I don't know how to post from my saved photos.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well guys after many hours of thinking I have finally decided to name that Cute pup Opal, Thank you Madam Fairy and Madam Hyzenthly. I have named her Opal. She is also very naughty, always coming to me to bite my shoe. BTW I would be researching on Scorpians and Reptiles, Can research on them.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I voted for the last option, but I'd be perfectly fine with the first option as well!

How do you post photos from your PC? I know how to post the URL from a photo on the internet but I don't know how to post from my saved photos.

If you're using Quick Reply, click the Go Advanced button. The Attachments icon is next to Smilies.

Years
  • I voted for the last option, but I'd be perfectly fine with the first option as well!

If you're using Quick Reply, click the Go Advanced button. The Attachments icon is next to Smilies.

Ah the button literally right next to the one I tried, lol thank you for the help. 😅

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • And there I go accidentally overlooking a great post and a great suggestion. Forgive me, your recommendation for the name Phillip was genius! ;w;

No worries! I actually think I added it in an edit, so it may not've even been there when you first read it.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Sorry I haven't been posting too often. Haven't been finding much this late in the year... :/

Here's a cool beetle I rescued back in July, though: a female Rainbow Scarab Beetle. I'd still really like to find the horned male!

🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wow! The rainbow Scarab Beetle is gorgeous. Lucky you! Glad to hear how this beauty has been thriving in your company over these last month's. Nice photo I might add, looks fit for an editon of National Geographic. You have a really good camera.

Incidentally, does anyone have any tips for caretaking orchids? Acquired some, and lovely as they are, I don't have experience growing them--it was a gift. A friend of mine recommend giving them water by putting ice cubes in their potted soil. They seem to be surviving okay for now these last few weeks with that advice. I know they are unusual and delicate plants though, and I want this one to stay strong. Any other suggestions I should hear? I thought that the Nature Club would be a good place to ask. I might add photos of the new orchid later if that will help.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Wow! The rainbow Scarab Beetle is gorgeous. Lucky you! Glad to hear how this beauty has been thriving in your company over these last month's. Nice photo I might add, looks fit for an editon of National Geographic. You have a really good camera.
    Oh, I didn't keep it; I just rescued it from drowning and it flew away after I took some pics and it finished drying off. I've tried raising a couple caterpillars before but things unfortunately took a bad turn, so I tend to leave nature in nature.

I just use a Fuji. There are other, more expensive cameras better suited for macro photography, but I don't really want to throw that kind of money at a mere hobby... (The only reason I got mine was because I needed it for college.)

I can't help with your plants, but hopefully someone else will chime in!

Years
  • Since right now the vote leans towards wild animals being incorporated in the nature club alongside plants and insects I thought I would share a fun video I watched this morning with slow-motion, beautiful close-up photography of the muscles of greyhounds and cheetahs as they run.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Name: Pok3pals
    The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Cherrim
    The plant you will raise: Black Cohosh
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Dragonflies

pkmin3033

The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you: Volcarona
    The plant you will raise: Atropa belladonna
    Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods: Grasshoppers :3

OK, I am long overdue posting in here. xD

What prompted me is that I've had this sitting on my somewhat dead (well, the flowers at least D:) orange daisy for the last couple of days:
    Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • What prompted me is that I've had this sitting on my somewhat dead (well, the flowers at least D:) orange daisy for the last couple of days:
    Spoiler:

It's... a... MOTH! :D

Would you like me to tell you what kind or would you like to figure it out on your own?

Back