• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Generation

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    So, you may or may not have been misled by the title, but anyway, down to business:

What was/is your first generation?

For most of us, our first generation is the one with the best memories. For a decent proportion, it's probably a favourite too. Most likely you have one favourite starter because it was the first one you ever used...and certain pokémon may even induce flashbacks as well.

And no, this is not the wrong section. I'm not referring to the TCG, or spin-off games such as Pokémon Ranger and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, I mean generation of mainstream games

I'll include a list of which games were in which generation, put in a spoiler:

Spoiler:

Personally, it was Generation III. I'd been playing the TCG for a while...my last expansion had been a shared FireRed and LeafGreen deck, for me and my brother (rather than just taking one each, which'd have made more sense...). So, at the tie I asked my mum for a pokémon game, I was half expecting Pokémon FireRed or Pokémon LeafGreen. After all, the ads had been on earlier that year. However, at christmas I got a brand new copy of Pokémon Emerald!

When I started playing, all I really recognised was Torchic (I'd seen a couple of anime episodes) so I chose that. Inevitably, I sucked, but I persevered all the way through to Slateport City. Then got stuck. It took me months to complete that game. In fact, I restarted several times, trying out all the starters. I eventually got past Slateport and completed the game. I played it so long I had about 20 level 100s, including a Wailord (I don't know how I caught a Wailmer, I can't even do that now). My constant restart and using all 3 starters has left me with a case where they all have nostalgia...Torchic because I picked it first, Treecko because I picked it the most, and Mudkip because I completed the game with it.

However, it's not just nostalgia. I generally find the Gen III games the most fun to replay, even LeafGreen, which I only got in 2008 (Ironically, the DS was already out when I bought both of my Gen III games). I especially love the simplicity...I don't get spoilt for choice, as I can't trade over wi-fi, or local wireless as I don't have an adapter/link cable or a GBA of any sort any more.

So, what was your first generation? What was your first game? Is that your favourite generation and/or game? Why? Any particular memory you feel like sharing with people?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Generation 1. Blue. Nope, because these days it's slow, archaic and buggy as sin.

420 duplicate rare candies every day.

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
  • Generation I for me. I've been a fan of the game since it first came out and i got into the game first before i heard anything about the TCG or the anime. I still find it funny that i first heard of pokemon in a nintendo power issue i bought, and when i saw it, it looked like a fun game but i knew i wasn't gonna get it (mainly cause i didn't know what it is). Then when the game is first released, my dad buys it for me out of nowhere.
    Thus gen I will always be something i'll be fond of.

mochilicious

the first little piggy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    Generation I is still my favorite. I got started when just the first was out. My first game was Blue version, and my first starter was Squirtle/Blastoise. He's not my favorite anymore; I prefer the fire starters and my favorite is Cyndaquil/Typhlosion. As for playing, I personally liked Generation II best. But I am looking forward to B/W.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I always will love Gen III and not only because I started with Emerald. Hoenn Pokemon appeal to me the most, even though I absolutely despised them for a few years. I was so against change... and then I played Emerald. I loved the Pokemon, loved the region, and it was a great first game for me~

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I started in Generation I, with the Blue version.
    It's not my favorite generation (it takes 2nd place, right after Gen II) but I still really love it, and play through the games every now and again.

As far as memories go... Well, definitely the most memorable (and embarrassing) one is when I first started the game. I hadn't really played any games like it before, so it took me at least 5 minutes of wandering around before I figured out how to get out of my house at the beginning. >_>;

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • The first gen i played was gen I, Pokemon Yellow. Then i completely skipped the second generation, and then i played Gen III, Ruby. But overall i liked Gen III the best.You see, I'm one of the few people who started with gen I and isn't hypnotized by nostalgia.

In terms of order, i played GEN I -> Gen III -> Gen IV -> Currently working on Jap. Black

IN terms of likeness, Gen III > Gen I > Gen V > Gen II

I very much despise and hate Gen IV with all my heart.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • First game: Yellow

Favourite: GenII- took everything that was great from gen1 and improved on it. awesome day/night system, breeding! plus, being able to go back to kanto was awesome!

Hated R/S with passion. a step backwards. some really stupid looking pokemon, a cut down pokedex, no compatibility with older games (NOOO charmander!), and no day/night system.... massive dissapoint. Fr/Lg remedied some problems. Plus the inclusion of a "second region" (sevii islands) made up for it.
    10 legendaries... seems like a bit much, atleast only 6 were catchable in any one save. so it wasn't as bad.

Havent played gen4 much, but has a nice GenII vibe (obviously). some of the designs are just horrible though. tanglrowth, magnezone, likitoung evolve, over abundance of legendaries too.

have no desire to touch gen5. new pokemon look horrible. and 3 legendary trios!? wtf!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Generation III. I never played R/B/Y/G/S/C.

I loved the music of that generation and sometimes went to Slateport City just to listen to its music.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Generation III. I never played R/B/Y/G/S/C.

I loved the music of that generation and sometimes went to Slateport City just to listen to its music.
    I love, Slateport City music as well as Lilycove. That game was awesome with the music.
    My Gen 1 game was gen 1. It was LeafGreen. The feeling of Pokemon was new to me, and I loved it. So eventually I stayed with it.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Actually, that was a Gen III game :) It was a re-make of a Gen I game.

I've got that one though, it looked so good I bought it when I was waiting for Platinum to come out. It didn't disappoint.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I began my Poke,pm Journey in late 2008, when I hacked my PSP and but a GBA Emulator which came with the 5 Pokemon Games with it. I had fun times with my first game, Pokemon Emerald. Took me 2 months to beat, solo-ed with a Blaziken. <3

blue

gucci
    Years
  • (1999) Gen I // Pokémon Blue, I remember I was only 5 or 6, and my friend had Red and so did my sister, just shows how things change comparing R/B/Y/G to Black & White.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Generation 1, Blue version. I got it like a month or two after my brother got his Red version back in '99. Sadly that game is now dead and buried, but at least Leaf Green (somewhat) recaptures the memories. Plus it introduced my favorite Pokemon trainer so I can't complain that it's not a completely faithful reproduction of my original Blue.

Oh, but how I do miss how Persian critical hit like crazy with Slash in gen 1...

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • Generation one. Red. 1999. Still, my favourite generation is the second, for all the reasons you could imagine.

Also note: back then, I couldn't get half of the game because I was 8 and still learning English.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    For me it was Generation II, when I got both Gold and Silver for my Birthday. A while later, I then got a Blue version, though I have never finished the Kanto Pokemon League. Ever. Yes, I'm a sad person.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Generation I here, and yeah, definitely one of my favourites. So many memories and so much nostalgia.

I've always felt lucky that I'd started playing Pokemon when I was 7 (pretty much when Pokemon was at the height of its fame). My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Yellow in 1999. Then Pokemon Silver, Gold and Crystal in 2001 and then Pokemon Sapphire in 2003. So I got to experience 3 different Generations in my childhood.

From best to worst:

Gen II
    Gen I
    Gen III
    Gen IV

(I haven't played Gen V yet).

Years
  • Generation III for me! I didn't really see the charm of Pokemon until the Mystery Dungeon series was started. I mean, actually BEING a Pokemon interested me. :3 I enjoyed Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team for quite a while, but then decided to try playing a mainstream Pokemon game, which was Sapphire (even though I wanted Emerald T_T). I ended up loving Pokemon, even though I previously used to think it was kinda stupid. ._. As strange as it might be to the people here who started with the original Pokemon, Generation III is actually quite nostalgic for me. x3

After getting Sapphire, I wanted to try LeafGreen to be able to try out the original region. After that, I got Pearl and Platinum, and most recently HeartGold. Yeah, I've never played the original R/B, G/C (even though I did play around with some kid's Pokemon Yellow a looong time ago :P), but that doesn't mean I'm not a true Pokemon fan. T^T Even though tbh, I am slightly ashamed that my first Pokemon game was a Mystery Dungeon game. ._________.

Even though Sapphire was my first mainstream Pokemon game, my favorite generation would probably be Generation II, followed by Gen III, then I, and with IV being the worst. ><
    I'm definitely excited for B/W though, because to me, it's almost like a remake of the 1st generation. :>

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Generation I; Yellow; not my favorite generation lol; none of my favorite Pokemon are in it, plus I'm sick of Kanto and definitely not my favorite game; ummmmmmm I never made it past Brock. o////o

Back