• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen 1st vs 2nd Gen Pokemon

1st or 2nd Gen Pokemon

• I don't like either

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Which generation of Pokemon did you prefer? Was it the originals of the first generation, or the more modern species of Johto of the second generation? Why?

My personal favourite out of the two generations would have to be Johto. I loved the variety of Pokemon and their designs were much more sleek and modern compared to the original generation.

Years
    I prefer the first generation designs personally. While I think both are good, I personally find a lot of second gen to be forgettable such as Dunsparce, Sunkern/Sunflora, Chinchou/Lanturn, Spinarak/Ariados and Qwilfish amongst others. Another gripe I have with the second gen is that I don't particularly find any of the baby pokémon to be a good addition to the series, their designed purpose is to be cute yet to some extent many of them even fail in that aspect.

I hate to be a bit of a genwunner with this argument, but I think none of the original 151 are forgettable purely because they have been there since the beginning and most of them have been used to a great extent in the games, anime etc since. Perhaps some of them would be forgettable if they had been introduced in a future generation, but we'll never know.

Also, whilst Gen II produced my favourite pokémon (Typhlosion), most of my favourites are Gen I designs (Raichu, Bulbasaur, Mewtwo, Butterfree and Dragonite are probably all in my top ten favourite pokémon).

As I said to begin with though, I have no problem with Gen II pokémon and I enjoy a lot of designs from every generation with the exception of Gen V.

Years
    I'm probably a tad bias as Pokemon Gold was my first Pokemon game, but Gen II just has such a nice, warm and cozy atmosphere to me. I just prefer almost everything in Gen II over Gen I.
    Now if we were comparing remakes, I have a lot more fond memories in Fire Red over Heart gold.

Years
    Even through I was around since Gen I, I really love everything about Gen II games. Johto was my second home back in 2000.
    But if it's only about Pokemon design, I have to go with both generations.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Second generation.

Kanto has some great Pokemon, but I feel Johto introduced a wider variety of Pokemon in terms of design, typing etc.

Years
    im a fan of GEN 2 pokemon and I have made a hack rom because Romhacking the Gen 2 can do more than the Gen 1

I have heard a Creepypasta Pokemon Game Pokemon Lost Silver google it and Check it out its good theres no rom but an .exe game of the ROM for PC Pokemon Lost Silver that revealed the Remake of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver as a theory that Gold died and he was replaced by Ethan because gold had died on the Mt Silver after defeating RED.

How I became a fan of this Game Pokemon Gold well I had a Pokemon Blue which it was my first Pokemon Game I owned back in 2003 and yes because my Parents Never Bought me a Pokemon game until I got good grades in school so my mom got me a Pokemon Game. When I got a Game Boy Advance SP I got my Pokemon Gold along with it because I lost the Original Game Boy Advance and Thats why I upgraded to the SP when i played Gold I started to fall in love with gen 2 because it looked more realistic and because my blue version battery save went dead so i abandoned Blue and Kept gold version (Yes What a dumb ass i was) so i went up and enjoyed gold because it was colored and it had 2 regions and this is why i like gen 2

That its true to that that was true

highly addivtive too but Jhoto is what became the history then Kanto and Jhoto after 3 year later after Kanto Events

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I'm with those who said 2nd Gen. There was more diversity in designs and types, plus tons more cuter Pokemon than 1st Gen as far as I'm concerned.

Years
    there's only about 7 of the pokemon introduced in gen 2 that i genuinely like. as opposed to majority of gen 1.

I don't like all the prevolutions and baby pokemon. The starters were underwhelming design-wise except feraligator.

However even though i've grown a distaste for legendaries in general, i liked the Dogs and Luigia quite a bit when they were first introduced.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2024
    I prefer Kanto's Pokémon over Johto's. But I do prefer Johto's over everything else that came after.

I like Kanto and Johto Pokemon about the same. As a group, neither generation had more than a few designs that I flat-out didn't like, they all still seemed like Pokemon (compared to some of the ones we have now), and both generations had great starters (except for Chikorita!)

But I still like the Johto region itself better than the Kanto region. Damn, did GSC bring so much to the table back then.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I prefer Kanto's Pokemon, though I probably like Johto better as a region. A lot of my favorite Pokemon come from Gen I, and I like the mix of designs and the abundance of animal-esque Pokemon (though Gen II has a lot of those as well). Gen II's Pokemon are great too; there are just more gen I Pokemon than gen II Pokemon, and I like the gen I Pokemon a little better on average, so that means that there are more Kanto Pokemon total that I like.

Back