• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2016 US Presidential Elections Thread [Trump Wins]

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Idk why we just don't have everyone vote on the same day or even week for the primaries really. What's the point in spreading it out so much? Here in New Jersey we have to wait until June iirc to vote in the primaries.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Idk why we just don't have everyone vote on the same day or even week for the primaries really. What's the point in spreading it out so much? Here in New Jersey we have to wait until June iirc to vote in the primaries.

$$$

Primaries, remember, are hosted by the parties themselves. All of this is a game to them for profit and it's why both parties hate Trump and Sanders because they are destroying the established rules.

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    Sanders just mis-identified a question-asker at the townhall as Muslim when he was Hindu. Is this a big gaffe?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Sanders just mis-identified a question-asker at the townhall as Muslim when he was Hindu. Is this a big gaffe?

Eh, I think it comes off as an honest mistake.
    On a political scale I don't think it'll matter much at all, particularly when there are much more outrageous statements for the media to gather ratings from.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years

Did he identify himself as Hindu? I don't think it'll be a huge deal unless Clinton/MSM make it a big deal. I've seen worse gaffes before.

Years
    Did he identify himself as Hindu? I don't think it'll be a huge deal unless Clinton/MSM make it a big deal. I've seen worse gaffes before.

Nah, she didn't touch on it. We'll see if MSM blows it up tomorrow.

What did you guys think of the townhalls, if you watched it? IMO Sanders got a tough line of questioning for his, which I'm not sure is if how townhalls are "supposed" to go. Clinton got a lot of questioning on the Iraq War, but otherwise I felt like her moderator was a lot nicer to her.

...I think you're ready to become commander-in-chief...

Is that appropriate for a moderator to say to a candidate?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    In a few hours, polls will open and begin what is arguably one of the most important primary days. Kanzler's already posted some info, but let's hope for the best. GOTV if you're in a state voting.

We want this gif to become reality by summer!

2016 US Presidential Elections Thread [Trump Wins]

Years
    As a public service (thanks Klippy for reminding), I'm posting this again because right now it's buried in the last page:
    Super Tuesday v2.0 for Republicans and Democrats are TODAY Tuesday, March 15 2016.

Polls close at 7:00PM in Florida, Illinois and Missouri, 7:30PM in Ohio and North Carolina. Don't be late!

Also, uh, don't forget your ID so they can't turn you away. Convince your friends and family to vote if you can.

New discussion topic(s):

Have you voted in the primaries yet? Have you planned to vote in an upcoming primary? Is this your first time voting or have you voted before? Has this election cycle changed your thoughts on the political process? Will you be voting in the general election?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    CNN/Fox/New York Times are claiming that Trump will win Florida, ensuring the end of Rubio's campaign.

Years
    Well Rubio pulled out all the stops on the Anti-Trump campaign and lost badly. And he just dropped out of the race.

Now we're stuck with The Donald, Cruz, and Kasich for the Republican side. All bad choices really.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Aaaand Rubio dropped out immediately.

Edit: Kasich & Clinton have won Ohio.

Last edited:
    Years
    Personally I'm just happy Sanders is getting Clinton to say things she otherwise wouldn't have had without a strong opponent. Plus he made the S word utterable again within the Democratic party.

Reactions: Her

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
    Years
    Despite all the negative ads and protests in Illinois and NC, Trump continues to lead the way. Lol, I hope a President Trump doesn't run America/World/Earth to the ground.

Years
    Trump just won NC and Illinois, but Kasich, the Governor of my state, carried Ohio, lmao. Which means we're basically headed for a contested convention later this summer. I didn't forsee Hilary sweeping so far, though. Illinois is still too close to call.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Nuts that Sanders didn't win a single state. No idea how he got so completely blown out. Polls show strong favorability for him in all the future contests. Best he can do is continue strong to the Convention as he said he would. It's still not over, but yikes is it a battle.

Years
    Looks like Hillary swept all five states contested today. I'm very disappointed, and the results look very poorly for Bernie. He did better than I had hoped for in North Carolina, and much worse in Ohio. His performance in Florida was as I would have soberly expected, and Missouri and Illinois was less than I had hoped. But in terms of delegates, he could have done much, much worse. I'm guessing he'll be another 130 or so delegates down? The overall delegate performance, I think, is comparable with what polling predicted even though this result has terrible optics. I would have gladly traded 7% of Bernie's 41% of the votes in North Carolina and distributed 2% each to Missouri and Illinois and the remainder to Ohio - it would have looked much better for him to win two states and to fight Ohio to a 46-54 loss. But what can you do.

I don't think he's out of the race yet. Even if he would be staying in the race for ideological reasons regardless of his actual performance, I don't think he's completely lost his chance at the nomination. In my opinion, there are two possible opposing trends going forwards. The first is that the optics of tonight's results will deeply impact the media coverage as well as the perception of voters all over America. Hillary will increasingly be seen as inevitable and Bernie's delegate gap will only either stagnate or grow larger, depending on which states are being contested. The second is that the next eight states are supposedly states where Bernie can do very well (and by well I mean winning strong victories, 55-45 to 70-30 victories). If fortune and the perception of the voters favour him, then we'll be seeing nothing but Bernie victories for the next month or so. This might even temper the perceived momentum Hillary gained from tonight. This might allow him to win enough delegates and gain enough "momentum" to make New York a competitive race.

I think New York will be the critical contest in which will decide whether or not Bernie can still become president. New York is the second largest state with 247 pledged delegates. It's also where Clinton had her senatorship (the effects of which I cannot discern, if anybody has insight into this it'd be greatly appreciated). If Bernie loses New York, I don't think anything can save him. If the eight races prior to NY are lukewarm, then it's tough luck when he gets there. If the eight races prior are in his favour, then maybe he can look forward to success. But New York has a closed primary which means independents who want to vote for him have 10 days (until March 25) to register as a Democrat. Independents who are swayed to his side after that date will have no say in whether Bernie receives the nomination or not. His outlook is therefore very bleak.

Full disclosure (as if I haven't stated it already at this point) - I'm rooting for Bernie Sanders all the way. I believe in the man and I believe in his ideas. I believe that his vision of an America that provides real opportunity and dignified existence for all and his mission of creating a political revolution that truly honours the legacy of the founding fathers - a government of, by, and for the people - can resonate deeply within the American public. I hope that his struggle today - whether it results in victory or not - will awaken the American people to fulfil their civic imperative and elect a truly representative government. What Bernie is asking for is actually not at all revolutionary in an ideal and healthy democracy. But America is so far from what it could be that the movement he leads can only be rightfully, wholeheartedly, and regrettably described as revolution.

I'm not ready to speculate on the direction that this political movement should go should Bernie lose the nomination, and for now I'm glad I don't have to. Given all I know about Bernie Sanders' ideas, dedication, and integrity, I can only wish him the best going forwards. That's much more than I can say for the rest of the candidates.

That's it for me: I've already lost enough sleep tonight, but I'm still feeling the Bern. :)

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess we can only hope he manages to become her VP ticket :/

Back