• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So we've already had Harvey, now Irma is barreling down on Florida, with Tropical Storm Jose soon to follow. Just absolutely terrible this year.

Years
  • It really is, best of luck to all those who were caught in Harvey/Will be caught in these storms. I've only been in a hurricane once and it was the worst.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • The gas stations and grocery stores are crazy here with everyone trying to stock up on supplies. Its a nightmare to get anything.

School is already cancelled for this week here. Not tomorrow, but for the rest of the week and who knows about Monday.

We are preparing. Ill be helping my family and friends put up shutters and preparing for the hurricane.

Stay safe everyone!

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Anyone who's lived in the area for any significant amount of time will know how to prepare and keep themselves secure. Its terrifying for sure every single time but eventually it just becomes routine. By the time I was 14 and the 2004 season came around, I had already survived so many I knew exactly what to do and it was mostly fun.

Hurricane season started in June and everyone should have gotten their long life supplies then before all the prices went up.

But to everyone in the path of the storms and/or unprepared or who was unable to prepare early for whatever reasons (life and stuff), stay safe and do not go out in the eye

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Welp I was gonna go to home depot to buy some sandbags but they were out. our front door is really old and there is a gap at the bottom that will make things worse...

at least we are prepared in terms of food, water, tools, flashlights, gas, etc

it looks like it might downgrade to a Cat 3 or even turn away, but we will see

Last edited:

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • my family lives in florida, and i was coming back for a visit when the behemoth that is irma formed... now i'm sort of stuck here and don't really know what to do. i don't know if leaving or staying would be safer, and i want to help my family as much as possible because while they're evacuating, they're only going so far inland to out run storm surge... things are not looking good. we got through matthew though, and to me this just seems similar. i'm keeping my hopes up.

Years
  • According to The Weather Channel's Irma tracker...

Spoiler:

It seems the hurricane is shifting course to hitting Florida's eastern coastal shores rather than going up the spine itself, which is, although not too significantly better a result for the state itself, it's certainly an improvement.

I am worried for Puerto RIco, though. They've already gone through enough, and now they have to add on a powerful hurricane to their list of things to worry about? Jeez...

I heard that Puerto Rico could be without electricity for months too! There's a story about it here: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...power-for-4-to-6-months-after-irma/ar-AAroNmD

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • We've been pretty lucky the last couple years in avoiding any potentially dangerous hurricanes, but this one is definitely heading for us here in South Florida.

Stay safe!

DeusPro

Banned
    Years
  • I'm praying for everyone, but especially for Puerto Rico.. Half of my family still lives there, and I'm just hoping nothing bad happens. The "no power for up to 6 months" thing seems scary, and Puerto Rico has gone through enough shit.. Hopefully it turns out okay for everyone.

Back