• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books 2023 Reading Challenge!

Years
  • 2023 Reading Challenge

2020 Thread | 2021 Thread | 2022 Thread

Welcome to the 2023 PokéCommunity Reading challenge!

Here we pledge to read a certain number of books and/or comics in 2023, and try to encourage each other along the way!

FYI:
    • FIVE issues of a comic book series counts as a book.
    • ONE volume of manga counts as a book.

You can track what you read by posting here as you read it, log it on a spreadsheet, or on GoodReads. Feel free to share your GoodReads link with the group :)

I will start by pledging to read 15 books in 2023!

Participants
    • Starlight, 0/15 Books
    • Soaring Sid, 5/10 Books Goodreads
    • Jbsundown, 0/4 Books
    • Janp, 8/10 Books
    • Astinus, 16/16 Books
    • Cherrim, 17/15 Books
    • Megan, 23/20 Books
    • ChrysalisM, 0/25 Books
    • Scizor V, 0/3 Books
    • Crustan, ?/? Books

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I will start by pledging to read 15 books in 2023!

Yaay thank you!

As for this year's goal, I've finished reading one book, 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

It's a long book, about 900+ pages and is a rather interesting tale.
    Two characters with intertwined fates step into a parallel world - a world filled with mysterious powers.
    There's elements of magical realism and I believe there are many metaphors to represent political and philosophical themes.
    From a cram school math tutor who has a love for writing fiction to a bodyguard who preaches acclaimed philosophers, 1Q84 is filled with intriguing folks.
    Murakami's writing has a neat flavour - even the most mundane events like the characters cooking up a simple meal, staring at goldfish or listening to classical music, especially Janáček's Sinfonietta in this novel....can snowball into a spiral of abstract thoughts accompanying these actions...and I think this is what makes me like Murakami, despite this book's many flaws

9 more books to finish this year's goal

Years
  • Good luck on your goals everyone!

I'm pledging to read a measly 4 books this year. I hope I'll be able to smash that pathetic number but my year is looking very busy. I'm halfway through a couple of books so I hope that's possible!

I'll be tracking in here as I go.

Years
  • Good luck on your goals everyone!

I'm pledging to read a measly 4 books this year. I hope I'll be able to smash that pathetic number but my year is looking very busy. I'm halfway through a couple of books so I hope that's possible!

I'll be tracking in here as I go.

Great to see you take the challenge, I've added you to the first post 😊

Years
  • How could I missed this thread? I'm in again!

I'll go with 10 books for now, because I'm not sure if I can count books I read between this thread and the last one. And I didn't really keep a track of what I've read, so I would have to go back and check my library.

Years
  • How could I missed this thread? I'm in again!

I'll go with 10 books for now, because I'm not sure if I can count books I read between this thread and the last one. And I didn't really keep a track of what I've read, so I would have to go back and check my library.

I have added your goal to the first post, welcome once again!

If you can remember what you read already this year then feel free to add them, otherwise just enjoy the clean start!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    1.) Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson

It attempts to tell a story showing the racism directed towards Japanese-Americans in the years after WW2, without hitting the reader over the head with the message. Unfortunately, the story (which is good when about who it's supposed to be about) gets bogged down by unnecessary details. Really didn't need a page-and-a-half detailing the past of a character that never showed up in the narration. Goes to show that you can't always trust literary awards.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Okay I'll... challenge myself to 15 novels. I'm not including manga/graphic novels, since I'm already doing a manga challenge on PC and I need some incentive to get some more words in rather than pictures ahaha.

So far this year I've read:
    1. Tatami Galaxy by Tomihiko Morimi
    2. She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen
    3. Assassin's Apprentice by Robbin Hobb
    4. Boy in a White Room by Karl Olsberg
    5. The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes by Cat Sebastian
    6. Love, Hate & Clickbait by Liz Bowery

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    2.) Be More Japan by various contributors

A collection of information about Japan that introduces people to the culture and country. Covers the history up to the modern day.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Alright this turned out to be unexpected. This pair of books I'm reading really likes challenging the human psyche with a plethora of horrors!
    I had a goal of 10 books - I hadn't thought of any Manga but...uhhh, I somehow finished reading 41 volumes of Kentaro Miura's Berserk. I have no idea how; time just flew by.

I am also almost done with Dan Simmon's Hyperion. It's a strikingly imaginative and chilling book, with a grandiose tale of pilgrims journeying to a desolate planet. Each pilgrim narrates their own tale, and the writing style of the author sways likewise. Martin Silenus, the poet's chapter, befittingly, has been the most artistically written chapter of all. I look forward to a lot more.

Edit - I'd not like to include manga to the list of this year's book completion, because my aim has been to fix my attention span with a sea of words. It's working, but boy was Berserk gritty and brilliant!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    3.) The Reaper by Nicholas Irving with Gary Brozek

Autobiography of Irving's time as a military sniper. Brings readers right into the action, and it made me appreciation those that volunteer to do that.

4.) The New Teen Titans: Volume 1 (issues 1-8) by Marv Wolfman, George Pérez, and Romeo Tanghal
    5.) The New Teen Titans: Volume 2 (issues 9-16) by Marv Wolfman, George Pérez, and Romeo Tanghal

The 80's edition of the Teen Titan superhero group, and what a great introduction to them. As a fan of the 2004 animated series, it was so great to see where the characters got their start from. These comic versions are older than the animated, so they deal with some different situations. But it's still good.

6.) Teen Titans: Full Throttle (issues 20-24 and special 1) by Adam Glass and Bernard Chang

Another reboot of the Teen Titans, and my favorite so far. I adore the attitudes of every character, and the stories that each one comes with. While Kid Flash was a good character in the 80's version, this version of Kid Flash is amazing and I adore the mini-arc that he goes through in these comics.

7.) Teen Titans Go! Party, Party! (issues 1-6) by various writers and artists

Say whatever about TTG!, but this was hilarious. Provided some much needed laughs. Art's adorable too.

8.) Avatar The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures (28 issues) by various writers and artists

It's been a long time since I watched Avatar, but this collection of comics from various sources brought me right back into the world. Definitely captures the feel of the characters and the story in comic form.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Okay I'll... challenge myself to 15 novels. I'm not including manga/graphic novels, since I'm already doing a manga challenge on PC and I need some incentive to get some more words in rather than pictures ahaha.

So far this year I've read:
    1. Tatami Galaxy by Tomihiko Morimi
    2. She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen
    3. Assassin's Apprentice by Robbin Hobb
    4. Boy in a White Room by Karl Olsberg
    5. The Perfect Crimes of Marian Hayes by Cat Sebastian
    6. Love, Hate & Clickbait by Liz Bowery

Welcome to the 2023 reading challenge!

I have added you to the list, sorry it took so long 😊

I have updated your totals, let me know if I messed anything up!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think I'll go for 20 books this year. I've already finished a couple ones:

1. The Light Fantastic
    2. Equal Rites
    3. Mort
    4. Sourcery
    5. Wyrd Sisters
    6. Pyramids!
    7. Guards! Guards!
    8. Faust Eric
    9. Moving Pictures
    10. Reaper Man
    11. Witches Abroad
    12. Small Gods
    13. Lords and Ladies
    14. Men At Arms

I skipped The Color of Magic because I've already finished that one a couple years ago. I also read a newer version of the Tao Te Ching. But I don't know if that one counts. ^^"

Currentyl I'm reading Soul Music!

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I just finished reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons and (edited two days later) also finished the manga Fire Punch by Tatsuko Fujimoto. This manga is fire and I'd really recommend it, with a small warning for really weird things...
    It gives a perspective on survival and how a strong belief can entrap us.

Here's Hyperion's Goodreads page:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77566.Hyperion

This book took me some extra focus die to constantly changing perspective, but it was executed well..

Seven protagonists on a journey to a distant planet in an Interstellar society with the goal of uncovering the mystery of the anomalous ruins that don't obey the laws of time...

The author did do a bit of research before dealing with the sci-fi concepts, including the fact that space travel can cause "time debts", (ex: you traveling for something that would seem like an 8 month period to you but to your planet it's 10 years)

The Shrike is an enigmatic character, but what I enjoyed is how the author dealt with individual stories, what ranged from a poet's first person perspective to the diary entry-ish but nonetheless chilling record of a certain church figure...and then a Hollywood detective flick in another's case.

All of these significantly different scenarios, split bh planets and eras are unified by the grand technological advancements of this world building.

Would definitely recommend I'd you're a sci-fi fan but it is a great work of imagination.

I'll move on to the sequel but I think I'll take a break from sci-fi and read something else for a while.

I'm reading The Shining currently by Stephen King and it's gripped me

Edit: Hyperion is said to he like The Canterbury Tales, which I haven't read but it's been mentioned a lot so I thought I'd mention it too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think I'll go for 20 books this year. I've already finished a couple ones:

1. The Light Fantastic
    2. Equal Rites
    3. Mort
    4. Sourcery
    5. Wyrd Sisters
    6. Pyramids!
    7. Guards! Guards!
    8. Faust Eric
    9. Moving Pictures
    10. Reaper Man
    11. Witches Abroad
    12. Small Gods
    13. Lords and Ladies
    14. Men At Arms

I skipped The Color of Magic because I've already finished that one a couple years ago. I also read a newer version of the Tao Te Ching. But I don't know if that one counts. ^^"

Currentyl I'm reading Soul Music!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I have added you to the list 😊

I would definitely say the Tao Te Ching counts, I don't think we're limited to fiction only! I will include it but just let me know if you want it removed.

I really, really, need to dust off my Pratchett books...

I just finished reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons and (edited two days later) also finished the manga Fire Punch by Tatsuko Fujimoto. This manga is fire and I'd really recommend it, with a small warning for really weird things...
    It gives a perspective on survival and how a strong belief can entrap us.

Here's Hyperion's Goodreads page:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77566.Hyperion

This book took me some extra focus die to constantly changing perspective, but it was executed well..

Seven protagonists on a journey to a distant planet in an Interstellar society with the goal of uncovering the mystery of the anomalous ruins that don't obey the laws of time...

The author did do a bit of research before dealing with the sci-fi concepts, including the fact that space travel can cause "time debts", (ex: you traveling for something that would seem like an 8 month period to you but to your planet it's 10 years)

The Shrike is an enigmatic character, but what I enjoyed is how the author dealt with individual stories, what ranged from a poet's first person perspective to the diary entry-ish but nonetheless chilling record of a certain church figure...and then a Hollywood detective flick in another's case.

All of these significantly different scenarios, split bh planets and eras are unified by the grand technological advancements of this world building.

Would definitely recommend I'd you're a sci-fi fan but it is a great work of imagination.

I'll move on to the sequel but I think I'll take a break from sci-fi and read something else for a while.

I'm reading The Shining currently by Stephen King and it's gripped me

Edit: Hyperion is said to he like The Canterbury Tales, which I haven't read but it's been mentioned a lot so I thought I'd mention it too.

Updated ty!

Hyperion sounds interesting, kinda surprised I've never read it.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Updated ty!

Hyperion sounds interesting, kinda surprised I've never read it.

Ah shucks my typos T_T
    Hyperion is really interesting, although I needed more focus than usual because of a long period of no reading.

Also I think that a cool thing is the author tried to handle each protagonist 's story with a different writing style/character. Some feel like YA novels while some like classic poetry.

Currently readijg The Shining (Stephen King's) and picked up Tao Te Ching with Wang Pi's Commentary.

Back