• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming PC Challenge - PLEASE READ FIRST POST

Years
  • The Pokecommunity 30 Days of Gaming Challenge​

Special thanks to MrCatDog for letting me take elements from his challenge.
    Also stolen from Facebook

Welcome to the 30 Day Gaming Challenge.
    In this little challenge, you will be able to post about something gaming related, depending on the day of the challenge.

Here are the set questions for the days:

Day 01 - Your first video game
    Day 02 - Your favourite character
    Day 03 - A game that is underrated.
    Day 04 - Your guilty pleasure game.
    Day 05 - Game character you feel you are most like (or wish you were).
    Day 06 - Most annoying character.
    Day 07 - Favourite game couple.
    Day 08 - Best soundtrack.
    Day 09 - Saddest game scene.
    Day 10 - Best game play.
    Day 11 - Gaming system of choice.
    Day 12 - A game everyone should play.
    Day 13 - A game you've played more than five times.
    Day 14 - Current (or most recent) gaming wallpaper.
    Day 15 - Post a screen shot from the game you're playing right now.
    Day 16 - Game with the best cut scenes.
    Day 17 - Favourite antagonist.
    Day 18 - Favourite protagonist.
    Day 19 - Picture of a game setting you wish you lived in.
    Day 20 - Favourite genre.
    Day 21 - Game with the best story.
    Day 22 - A game sequel which disappointed you.
    Day 23 - Game you think had the best graphics or art style.
    Day 24 - Favourite classic game.
    Day 25 - A game you plan on playing.
    Day 26 - Best voice acting.
    Day 27 - Most epic scene ever.
    Day 28 - Favourite game developer.
    Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.
    Day 30 - Your favourite game of all time.

Ok, so now you know the topics, how do you participate?
    Depending on the day, you will be asked a question and I would like you to take some time to talk about it if possible. The layout is as follows to participate:

• The Day it is (Day 01 and so on, NOT THE DATE PLEASE)
      [*]The question from that day.
      [*]Why you have chosen this game/character/whatever the question asks.
      [*]OPTIONAL: A video or picture from relating to that question, but please, place this in spoilers. Spoilers are done by [spoiler]INSERT VIDEO OR PICTURE HERE[/spoiler]

So, an example would be:
    Prince of Persia for the SNES: I remember this game like it was yesterday. A 2D fighting and platform jumping game. I have, obviously, never played anything like this before and it completely drew me in. It was just so fun and I was impressed by the graphics then. Blah blah blah.

What about Latecomers?
    Latecomers should post with whatever the CURRENT DAY asks of them, but they can post earlier ones as well, if they want to catch up to everyone else. If you have any concerns, check this post as I'll be crossing the days off as we do them. If it has been crossed off, don't start with it. (Thanks to MrCatDog for letting me use this, as I couldn't put it better myself.)

When does it start?
    Since it is coming up to midnight, the challenge will start now, but the first cut off point to move to the second day will be WEDNESDAY MIDNIGHT.
    The cut off times for each day are Midnight UTC+1.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me by PM or VM. I will get back to you as soon as I physically can.

Well, I declare this now open! Post away and hope you have fun!

If you would like to try the song challenge, feel free to check it out Here! Have fun!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Day 1: Your First Video Game
    Super Mario Bros All Stars: Super Mario Bros 3 - This was the first game I remember being my favorite (there are five games on this cart, in case you didn't know, so my first game is kinda all of them, but SMB3 is the one I remember most fondly). I didn't really play video games til I was five though. I was more of an observer and I'd get my uncle to come play Super Mario Bros "thbreee" (couldn't say three, haha!). It was probably my favorite because I was three, it was three...get me? XD But I remember learning all the secrets young like where the Magic Flute "The Toot" was and I looooved "Cat Mario" and "the pee pee wing." :) I also made up words to the songs in the game. Go in the Toad House and it's the circle song (just say "circle circle" over and over) and the sound when you flip the card at the end of the level, I would say "pick up your butt and walk away! yeah!" I still do it. Good times, good times! I still play this game today on the SNES at my grandmother's (where it all started), on GBA, and I even downloaded it on the Wii's Virtual Console~!

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Day 1.

My first game was Super Monkey Ball Jr. When my dad lent his GBA to me, I used to play this game all the time. My memories are quite foggy with it though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • CROSS POLLINATION. ZOMG!

Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman (Game Boy): Not 100% sure on this one, but it's certainly the earliest one I have any memory playing. It was either this or a game involving Taz from the Looney Tunes, but I think Wario came first.
    Spoiler:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Final Fantasy VII. It wasn't just my first RPG, but the first game that I played for more than 5 minutes in general. It pulled me in so easily when I was a kid that I actually made it to the high 90's by level grinding before I decided to go to the Northern Crater. Back then it was perfect. Now…well, it's still not bad at all actually, but it fails to pull me in, so I never made it outside Midgar recently.

However, I still couldn't beat Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon. Bunch of bastards.

Years
  • Day 01 - Your first video game
    The very first video game I ever played was some kind of Mario game on a neighbor's child's big grey GB, but my first own video game was - surprise, surprise - Pokemon Red, maybe two years later. I got Tetris with it but Red was my priority, so it's the one that should count.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Street Fighter II: Turbo, for the SNES. I must have played the crap out of this with my friends. It's a shame I disagree with the way the street fighter series has gone though. The game had a brilliant soundtrack. I think my Main was Guile back in the day.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Day 1 - Your First Video Game

One of the many PC iterations of The Oregon Trai. I'm afraid I can't remember which exact one, partly because it was in a three CD pack with a virtual Bible and something related to gardening.

Wikipedia suggests that it was the Oregon Trail Version1.2, if you care even slightly :P

Spoiler:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Been doing this on Facebook so I will just copy it from there

My first ever game was the Nes super marios game. Played it way back when I was like 4 or something.

Looking at these some are going to be hard haha

Years
  • What? Of course I was going to do this as well! 8D

Like I said in the example, Prince of Persia was actually my first game, on the SNES. I remember this console being bought for my sister at Christmas, but she never really played on it, but I did enough playing for the both of us!
    It was really weird at first, I had always dreamed of being able to do things like what the Prince was doing. Jumping onto ledges, being all cool and fighting off the baddies. I had an imaginative brain as a child.
    I remember when I completed it, after a very long time since I wasn't all that good then, and I felt so happy and with such a sense of pride in myself. I had completed my first game and I knew it wouldn't be my last.​

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    AirXonix. Since I was 4 years old, I've been using computers. However, I wasn't familiar with the concept of gaming until I was 7. Until that time, I've been fooling around with various programs like paint, word and powerpoint. When I was 7 however, back at the windows 2000 era, at one glorious day, I found a CD on my father's desk. It had the title "150 games for the PC". Being curious back then, I popped it inside the computer, played around a bit with the GUI, and randomly got a game to work. The demo for AirXonix.

The gameplay was much different than anything I had seen until then. It did not have "SRSBIZ" written all over it, it had some cool numbers which would rise when I did various stuff, It had a player-like object which I managed to control after some trial and error (mostly button smashing), and after some time its purpose was clear.

It was a pretty simple game, there was a playing area, which consisted of a field and a frame around it which was a bit raised, the player thing was floating above the frame, I could move it with the arrow keys, and there were diagonally-moving balls inside the field. The balls would bounce when hitting the frame, and gravity seemed not to apply there. There were also quite a few more funny physics about the game: Once your player-thing entered the field, it would leave a trail behind it. It could not stop moving, it could only change its direction (not backwards). If it hit its trail, you would lose a life and get warped back to the frame. If a ball touched the trail, you would lose a life and get warped back to the frame. If you exited the field, and went to the frame, two things could happen depending on the position of the balls relative to the trail:

-If the trail divided an area of the map away from all balls, effectively closing them inside, the area without the balls would be raised into the frame, and a nice percentage number would increase (the percentage of the field which was frame instead of field). Once you reached a specific percentage, you would go to the next level.

-If the trail divided two areas, both of which with balls, then the trail would turn into a very thin wall, sometimes raising the frame percentage by 1% or 2%.

The game also involved a bunch of powerups, and another enemy, a spinning mine, which moved on the frame and killed you if touched. It also involved highscores, which were fun to look at, since I've always loved numbers.

I was immediately hooked. After some time, I beat all the levels the demo offered, to be greeted with a "purchase this game for more bla bla bla..." screen. I did not understand it, and I thought I was pressing the wrong buttons. As it is not my mother tongue, my English was terrible at the time. My vocabulary consisted of at most 5 words, probably along the lines of "Hello, me, cat". I couldn't possibly be expected to comprehend what kept me away from all those nice levels, and even the new enemies that were available in the full version.

Thus, I turned to my father, who explained how I would have to pay money to play the rest of the game. I do not remember how I put it back then, but I remember my immediate reaction was something along the lines of "Poop, why do I have to give money to do that, I don't even have any money, I am 7!". My father then explained to me how games and programs in general are created, and how programmers need money to live too. It didn't take me that much to understand that, and be all "okay, can you buy the game for me?". My father did not want to spoil me, as we both know very well that if he did buy it at that time, I would have taken it for granted and demanded for him to purchase everything I wanted in the future. Lots of crying and "I hate you" followed, as like every 7 year old, I was an immature idiot. But I did eventually understand why he was doing what he was.

My father is not a jerk, and what he did was to protect me, not to save money (hell, the thing is 10 euros). So he did eventually get it for me after I did a bunch of good deeds that I can't remember, effectively introducing me to the concept that you don't get stuff for free, you have to work for it.

I enjoyed the full version very much, and am still to this day thankful to my father for the way he handled it. It went much better than it would have if he did it right away, and the game was even more worth it, as I felt I earned it.

Aside from giving me many life lessons, the game is very fun to play, and I recommend it to everybody.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Y U NO SINGLE POST 4?

Your first video game:
    Oh wow, this is a tough one. If only I had one of those machines where I could remember things within my sub-concious from when I was 2-3 years old. That'd make this so much easier. But for simple sake, I'll have to go with Duck Hunt for the NES. It really is a fun game to play, and it utilized the lazer gun on the system, later used for games such as Time Crisis, and pretty much every single point-and-shoot game there is now. Needless to say, it was one of the first games I played, and was a revolution for these types of games. :)

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Frogger's Adventures: Temple of the Frog [GBA]

I wasn't allowed any sort of video games when I was younger until my uncle gave me (with my parents' permission) a Game Boy Advance when I was about eight. This was the game he gave me along with the GBA and I was hooked. XD; It was very challenging for me at the time but I eventually did beat the game and felt very proud, haha. Nowadays, I can't play that game for more than ten minutes but it still holds a special place in my heart.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2013
    Super Mario World 4 (NES)
    Kind of fuzzy here, since it was a long while ago, but I recall my first game being a Mario game on a console. Borrowed the console, which I think was a NES, and got hooked on video games ever since. I never got past the first world though in the game itself. I do remember that it was fun, and all jumpy and stuff. ^^

Speed

Skyward
    Years
  • Why does every staff member double post? XD

My first game was Pokemon Red. I was three, and my mom had bought me a GBC. It still amazes me how I still play Pokemon after 12 years. :3

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
  • Day 01 - Your first video game.

My first video game. I kind of forgot but it was a FIFA game. It's the year I forget. I think it might of been from 99 - 03. It's either one of those.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Pacman World for Playstation. Yes, that game. It made me love video games, for whatever reasons I don't understand. Turns out that this game right here made me want to crave for more video games from time to time, until I craved for Pokemon. And look, here I am now! ;D

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • Day 01 - Your first video game.
    Pokemon: Gold Version. I actually didn't own this game. It was my cousin's. As a kid, about 4 or so... I watched Pokemon on TV. So, when I found out that my cousin had a Pokemon game, I was amazed. I wanted to play it right away, and so I did. I got sucked into the game right away. My cousin actually wasn't into games all that much, so he didn't mind me making a save. Every single time I went over to his house, Pokemon Gold was my first thought. I remember beating the game over about 4 times. It held fond memories for me. And so, after all this time, I still like the series. Not to mention after playing that game, I started to love alot more games, such as Super Mario, Digimon World, heck, even Aladdin on PlayStation!

Spoiler:

Back