• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30fps vs 60fps

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Honestly me and many of my other friends don't really see the difference between the 2 and could honestly care less. Why do people obsess over this? It never really bothered me and I still get lots of enjoyment out of video games regardless of the frames per second.

Sure if you put the 2 side by side then I'll probably tell a difference but if you have me play a game at 30fps on its own, I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was 30 or 60.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Honestly speaking, I won't really care about the difference between 30/60fps. I find it more of a marketing gimmick.

All I care about is a game that has a decent framerate so that it isn't that choppy and of course the content and fun.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • In bullet hell games, it makes a considerable difference due to a blatant fact that incoming bullet fire would run half the speed, thus resulting in a tool-assisted run.

If one were to attempt a legitimate run on any bullet hell game, then this shouldn't be considered, unless it's a form of a challenge.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Even if you can't tell the difference, 30fps has more input latency, so it does affect gameplay. In games where precision is important such as platformers and fighters 60fps is nearly a necessity. Try speedrunning Donkey Kong Country Returns on both the Wii version and 3DS. It's nigh impossible on 3DS.

I don't mind 30fps on most game if it's stable though, but 60fps is preferable for my eyes and for providing smoother gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    In bullet hell games, it makes a considerable difference due to a blatant fact that incoming bullet fire would run half the speed, thus resulting in a tool-assisted run.

If one were to attempt a legitimate run on any bullet hell game, then this shouldn't be considered, unless it's a form of a challenge.
    >2014
    >using frames as time in a game

What are these people doing. Is that just easier to program? How? Every PC has its own second-based clock anyway.

TY

60fps is a must for me cause 30 is too close for dropping below the dreadful 20 fps and then a game becomes near unplayable in this day and age. In the past I only got to 30 fps cause my system was utter crap but now i easily get 60+ fps and I rather have that just in case when it has a drop here and there, it at least stays playable then when it would have been 30 fps :P

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I honestly can't tell a difference. I know it's there, but it's not noticeable for me.

Then again, I play about 85% RPGs, so that might have something to do with it.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • A PLACE WHERE MY VIDEO CLASSES IN COLLEGE MATTER! 60 FPS is a format that is primarily reserved for things like sporting events and soap operas. I personally cannot stand the way that 60 fps looks, as I can really, really see the difference. Stuff doesn't look cinematic in 60 fps. It just doesn't. It loses a certain quality. Standard television is actually displayed at a little less than 30 frames, and the same for most movies (The Hobbit is at a weird 48 fps o.O).

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    I will never understand why everyone compared fps and graphics.... thats not the point of a game.

A game should be rated and compared on its storyline, difficulty, length. Given games on Playstation 1 used to have low FPS yet were still amazing games.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It's easy to tell the difference when you see them side by side and you can easily feel the difference if you're playing something where quick response time is important. It has less to do with looking good and more to do with playing well.

Years
  • I don't really see the difference, but then again the only game that requires a decent FPS that i play is LoL, and even then i can settle for 20 FPS.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I used to not care about 60fps, but then I got a gaming PC and realised that it is indeed beneficial. Games like Sonic Generations seems to run a crap ton smoother, and I feel like there's less input lag as a result too.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I honestly don't like 30 or 60 fps at all. I like to always have over 100 if possible while running on highest possible graphic and sound quality. The reason why I don't like to sit at 60 fps even on Highest resolution, highest graphics and sound settings in games such as COD, Battlefield or other shoots is the fact that your frame rate can change depending on a map, how many people are firing at you. turning corners, all of that. So say I am running on 60 fps with highest graphic settings, max resolution and highest sound quality and then I enter a room/map with 31 other players and its a free for all death match. Just by chance 10 of us end up in the same spot at once and just start firing at each other. You be surprised but your fps is going to go from 60 to like 20 or maybe lower unless your packing a heavy duty high end gaming pc.

I say this with some experience. I currently own a Alienware 18, fully decked out. Cost me a little over 8,000 dollars. I can play any game that comes out this year, next year and maybe even the following year on highest resolution, graphics and sound quality with 60+ fps without vsync on.

I can tell you there maybe no difference in what you see if you go above 60 fps but when you get in those sticky places like I explained in a shooter or mmo having that extra fps can help.

Years
  • The only thing I care about with fps is that it stays consistent not that it suddenly changes noticeably for example example gtaV's fps goes down the toilet when there's like 2 to 3 explosions on screen at the same momentso 30 or 60 don't care just want it to be locked and not go lower or higher.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    There is a huge difference, and more frames is better. I know 30FPS is tolerable, but after you get used to 60, 30 looks choppy and slow. Also, more frames means better input reaction times.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    As long as it doesn't drop to the point where its noticable I'm happy, although i normally run at 90fps to 120. It doesnt matter all that much if the game is half decent unless your buying games for the 60 fps

Back