• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Two Familiar Faces Appear in the Pokémon Sun and Moon Anime!

Years
The question is, why is Ash going back to Kanto when he hasn't even completed his main goal in Alola first?

It is a shame though that Brock and Misty's faces look crappy with the SM art style. It can make Alola-native characters look good, but somehow makes characters from Kanto have bad-looking faces.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
The question is, why is Ash going back to Kanto when he hasn't even completed his main goal in Alola first?

It is a shame though that Brock and Misty's faces look crappy with the SM art style. It can make Alola-native characters look good, but somehow makes characters from Kanto have bad-looking faces.

Well, at least there's a chance at Misty getting focus on her Water Pokémon Master goal now after several years of stagnating at the Gym. Let's hope she gets there and the writers don't screw up. As long as they allow her to pursue her goal again, I don't care if she gets warped with the SM art style.

I'm not particularly happy Brock's back, but let's hope they actually give him an actual use regarding his goal.

And I think this appearance is definitely going to be big, maybe even a full permanent return for them, certainly Misty. Why else would they tease something like this in a magazine, when not even May and Dawn got teased in that manner when they made a return in DP and Best Wishes, respectively. Or heck, even Misty and Brock's cameo in Best Wishes regarding Charizard's flashback?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Probably because they're the originals and haven't appeared in over ten years now. When May/Dawn left, they had only just left.

Maybe, but then again, even when they technically did appear in Best Wishes as part of the flashbacks for Charizard, they didn't go this far, and they gave voice credits and all of that. And while not necessarily a decade, them even appearing in Best Wishes was from a long time to come anyways.

Either way, let's hope Misty gets back to her goal. I hated it when they forced her into the gym, especially in light with how badly the Gym Leaders were treated in AG, so they'd better make sure that with this appearance, they definitely have her become a Water Pokémon Master again. Even if they don't bring her back to the main cast, they should at the very least have Misty get back to her old goal.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
I'm so happy for you weedle_mchairybug XD

Anyway, just like Ash the new art style made both Misty and Brock younger. And the fact that they're wearing their classic outfits just brought a wave of nostalgia into my body, that tingled my spine XD

Hope this is a sign that we're going to see the other companions/rivals too!
#pleasebringgaryback

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
I wonder if Ash knows them since the uppers of the SM anime said this is an alternative Ash. This could be further backed by both characters wearing their gen 1 outfits, and Brock being the Gym leader again, instead of medical school as established in Black & White. Also neither even got mentioned in the XY series I believe, and since the games have XY/ORAS/SM in a different timeline/dimension..

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I wonder if Ash knows them since the uppers of the SM anime said this is an alternative Ash. This could be further backed by both characters wearing their gen 1 outfits, and Brock being the Gym leader again, instead of medical school as established in Black & White. Also neither even got mentioned in the XY series I believe, and since the games have XY/ORAS/SM in a different timeline/dimension..

This had better NOT be the case (besides, we're not even sure if Brock is actually Gym Leader anyways).

EDIT: No, that's DEFINITELY not the case, at least regarding Brock being Gym Leader. His info box in green explicitly notes his aspirations to become a Pokémon Doctor and makes zero mention of his being a Gym Leader.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years

It's the same Ash from OS

And it also specifically refers to Takeshi Brock) as Ash's friend

Years
i haven't heard official statement regarding Satoshi in SM is Alternative Satoshi from OS. plus, if you look closely on both Kasumi and Takeshi profile it is stated that they are Satoshi's friends. Takeshi is not gym leader, he is someone who is aiming to be Pokemon doctor. while Kasumi is said to be a girl who has speciality in water type Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
i haven't heard official statement regarding Satoshi in SM is Alternative Satoshi from OS. plus, if you look closely on both Kasumi and Takeshi profile it is stated that they are Satoshi's friends. Takeshi is not gym leader, he is someone who is aiming to be Pokemon doctor. while Kasumi is said to be a girl who has speciality in water type Pokemon.

I wonder if that description of Misty implies she gave up the gym and is now back at it pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal. I've waited a long time for the writers to correct THAT sorry mistake back in GCYL. This better be what I'm hoping for, that she's back at her goal.

Years
I wonder if that description of Misty implies she gave up the gym and is now back at it pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal. I've waited a long time for the writers to correct THAT sorry mistake back in GCYL. This better be what I'm hoping for, that she's back at her goal.
let's hope so since if Misty was Gym leader, the text would say that instead of only stating that her specialty in water type pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019

I think the same way. I REALLY loved the idea of bringing back old characters, thats fantastic, really.
But the art style is aweful, look at brock- he looks like a completely diff character. Why did they have to change the artstyle? Its aweful in my opinion

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I think the same way. I REALLY loved the idea of bringing back old characters, thats fantastic, really.
But the art style is aweful, look at brock- he looks like a completely diff character. Why did they have to change the artstyle? Its aweful in my opinion

Yeah, I kinda agree with it being bad art styles, not to mention it simply wasn't necessary to change it. That said, if it means Misty gets to be a Water Pokémon Master again, actually pursue that goal, I'll live with it being bad art styles. May even get me watching Pokémon again (though since I'm boycott regarding Disney thanks to some... stupidity that company pulled with Star vs. the Forces of Evil and the live action remake of Beauty and the Beast this year (not to mention even IF I weren't boycotting Disney already, I no longer have Disney Channel due to giving up Cable a long time ago, so I can't actually watch Pokémon Sun and Moon anyway.), don't expect me to watch any episodes of Sun and Moon any time soon, even if these episodes get a dub airing.). Hopefully the dub for those episodes soon, since it would be worth seeing Misty again.

Last edited:
Years
I actually love the art style; it's fresh and flows SO much better than the old animation. Yeah it's way more kid-ish but it's still cute. Honestly I think they should have been changing art styles far more often; regardless, they kept the main stylistic points of the Pokemon anime so it's still clearly recognizable. I don't see why everyone's so up in arms about it.

Now, I'm really curious as to why Misty and Brock are being brought back, if only for 2 episodes. Also why they're now introducing travel between regions within the same season/series. It's a definitely a reach but maybe the franchise is considering allowing multi-region travel in future games (which would be awesome).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I actually love the art style; it's fresh and flows SO much better than the old animation. Yeah it's way more kid-ish but it's still cute. Honestly I think they should have been changing art styles far more often; regardless, they kept the main stylistic points of the Pokemon anime so it's still clearly recognizable. I don't see why everyone's so up in arms about it.

Now, I'm really curious as to why Misty and Brock are being brought back, if only for 2 episodes. Also why they're now introducing travel between regions within the same season/series. It's a definitely a reach but maybe the franchise is considering allowing multi-region travel in future games (which would be awesome).

Probably 20th anniversary stuff, but then again, maybe the writers are learning from their mistakes regarding those two and are now planning to have them come back. It IS unusual to tease them in this manner. And Misty might even be pursuing her Water Pokémon Master goal again, which would definitely be a major plus for me after how badly she was shafted at the end of Johto (and the treatment of the Hoenn Gym Leaders in AG certainly didn't help either). Heck, Brock as a Pokémon Doctor would actually pose far more use for the party than if he were still a breeder, basically functioning the role as a healer in old RPG games.

And maybe it's preferable to you, but for me, I'd stick with the original art style.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Hmm I didn't ever think about Ash actually returning to Kanto to meet up with them. I figured they would show up in this season at some point, especially when at least Brock's voice actor was showing up, disappointed Gary isn't there though.

This probably may mean there is a good chance others may make an appearance in later episodes. Or at least the more popular ones.

And there is no 100% fact that Sun and Moon Ash is a different time line. But the creator of the anime suggested it saying "This isn't the same Ash from XY"

Also wish they had kept the older outfits for them. Well newer.... Like Misty's 3rd Gen and Brock's 4th Gen. But this may be on purpose.

Other voice actors who have been popping up are Dawn's, Serena's, and Gary's.

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
This was a neat surprise, in fact I'm willing to forgive the Kanto focus just because Misty and Brock are returning for an arc. ...Although I have to admit, giving them Mega Evolutions is a bit strange - it just feels tacked on without context. Hopefully their keystones will be explained once the episodes actually air.

Why is Ash visiting Kanto again, though?
Looks like a field trip. And you know, more Kanto pandering.

Back