• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Two Familiar Faces Appear in the Pokémon Sun and Moon Anime!

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • Let's do some math here. Episode 29 of the English dub is set to air 9/2. Therefore if they keep to their 1 new Episode per week schedule, Episode 33 or the infamous totem episode with Lana will air at the end of September(9/30). Episode 37 or the battle with Olivia is 10/28. Rockruff Evolution will occur the following week or 11/4. The current Episode involving Mallow will air 11/11 and therefore Episodes 42 and 43 involving Misty and Brock will air 12/2 and 12/9 respectively. Meaning if we had no idea it was coming, we wouldn't know about it until sometime after Thanksgiving or so with respect to the dub. Got to love spoilers no?

As for Japanese dub, we have roughly 3 weeks or roughly September 16th before we scream for joy or demand their heads in botching yet another Episode.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Let's do some math here. Episode 29 of the English dub is set to air 9/2. Therefore if they keep to their 1 new Episode per week schedule, Episode 33 or the infamous totem episode with Lana will air at the end of September(9/30). Episode 37 or the battle with Olivia is 10/28. Rockruff Evolution will occur the following week or 11/4. The current Episode involving Mallow will air 11/11 and therefore Episodes 42 and 43 involving Misty and Brock will air 12/2 and 12/9 respectively. Meaning if we had no idea it was coming, we wouldn't know about it until sometime after Thanksgiving or so with respect to the dub. Got to love spoilers no?

As for Japanese dub, we have roughly 3 weeks or roughly September 16th before we scream for joy or demand their heads in botching yet another Episode.

I'd personally give them until September 23rd before we decide to either celebrate or double our efforts.

I'd really want to watch those two episodes' dubs when they air, but, unfortunately, they're on Disney XD, and for the foreseeable future, they're not going to be moving Pokémon from that. Ignoring that I'm already boycotting Disney thanks to some really massive stupidity they displayed earlier this year regarding the 2017 live action Beauty and the Beast remake and Star and the Forces of Evil (let's just say they added some things that would have been grossly inappropriate for the target age audience, and at least one of the creators was very open about it during production), and I won't stop until they either stop with their recent promotions, or at the very least until Bob Iger leaves Disney for the 2020 Presidential Elections, I can't even WATCH Disney XD due to the fact that I don't even have cable (we gave it up after our provider made some more unethical business decisions with us), and thus don't even have access to Disney Channel at all, let alone Disney XD.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I'd personally give them until September 23rd before we decide to either celebrate or double our efforts.

I'd really want to watch those two episodes' dubs when they air, but, unfortunately, they're on Disney XD, and for the foreseeable future, they're not going to be moving Pokémon from that. Ignoring that I'm already boycotting Disney thanks to some really massive stupidity they displayed earlier this year regarding the 2017 live action Beauty and the Beast remake and Star and the Forces of Evil (let's just say they added some things that would have been grossly inappropriate for the target age audience, and at least one of the creators was very open about it during production), and I won't stop until they either stop with their recent promotions, or at the very least until Bob Iger leaves Disney for the 2020 Presidential Elections, I can't even WATCH Disney XD due to the fact that I don't even have cable (we gave it up after our provider made some more unethical business decisions with us), and thus don't even have access to Disney Channel at all, let alone Disney XD.

Not to get side tracked here so I'll request you PM me about it but what did they add to Star that pissed you off? As for Beauty... I'm on the fence. Their choice for Beast was solid but Watson for Belle... I dont know about that one. Even if you ignore all the other fluff regarding the film, I've never been a fan of having live action versions of films that were animated classics. Like it or not though, more live action adaptations are on the way and if you're boycotting Disney means you're boycotting anything Marvel or Star Wars related as well(and that's going to be difficult due to their popularity).

To get back onto topic, I will say that the dub of Pokemon so far has been average at best. Even though you don't get Disney XD, people upload the Episodes onto Youtube all the time. Its how I've watched the entire Pokemon Anime from start to finish(including Japanese and English dub of Sun and Moon). If not Youtube, I'm pretty sure there are other means of viewing the Episodes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Not to get side tracked here so I'll request you PM me about it but what did they add to Star that pissed you off? As for Beauty... I'm on the fence. Their choice for Beast was solid but Watson for Belle... I dont know about that one. Even if you ignore all the other fluff regarding the film, I've never been a fan of having live action versions of films that were animated classics. Like it or not though, more live action adaptations are on the way and if you're boycotting Disney means you're boycotting anything Marvel or Star Wars related as well(and that's going to be difficult due to their popularity).

To get back onto topic, I will say that the dub of Pokemon so far has been average at best. Even though you don't get Disney XD, people upload the Episodes onto Youtube all the time. Its how I've watched the entire Pokemon Anime from start to finish(including Japanese and English dub of Sun and Moon). If not Youtube, I'm pretty sure there are other means of viewing the Episodes.

Well, I'll see what I can do regarding YouTube (this WON'T result in breaking a boycott, right?). Though, again, that will be when the dub comes out. Obviously, I won't be watching the Japanese version because I can't really understand what they're saying to begin with (that said, I might watch Misty's scenes in Japanese, since her voice acting has serious chops based on the Kasumi edition of Pichu Bros. in "Party Panic.").

I sent you a PM per your request regarding the above.

Guest123_x1

It is a shame though that Brock and Misty's faces look crappy with the SM art style. It can make Alola-native characters look good, but somehow makes characters from Kanto have bad-looking faces.
    Even though I know many are happy with this "return" of Misty and Brock, and in their Original Series outfits, I'm not at all impressed with the way they were rendered in order to fit in the Sun/Moon series art style.

My first reaction to the promo material featuring Misty and Brock's S/M designs was "UGH", and I'm being 100% honest about this. Misty looks nowhere near as cute as she did in the Original Series.

I'll pretty much pass on this, thanks. x_x

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I frankly prefer her Hoenn outfit as I was never a fan of her tomboyish look from the Original Series. That said, I can't complain much since they are bringing them back into the Anime, if only for a couple Episodes(or more... who knows). As for Japanese dub of Episodes, you can find them uploaded with English subs Weedle so no need to worry :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Even though I know many are happy with this "return" of Misty and Brock, and in their Original Series outfits, I'm not at all impressed with the way they were rendered in order to fit in the Sun/Moon series art style.

My first reaction to the promo material featuring Misty and Brock's S/M designs was "UGH", and I'm being 100% honest about this. Misty looks nowhere near as cute as she did in the Original Series.

Eh, suit yourself. Me personally, I'll even take S/M designs for Misty if it at least ensures she get back to doing her goal of Water Pokémon Master instead of being shoved back into Cerulean Gym again.

I frankly prefer her Hoenn outfit as I was never a fan of her tomboyish look from the Original Series. That said, I can't complain much since they are bringing them back into the Anime, if only for a couple Episodes(or more... who knows). As for Japanese dub of Episodes, you can find them uploaded with English subs Weedle so no need to worry :)

I personally prefer her old outfit to be honest (besides, I've seen a few outfits that come across as WAY more tomboyish than Misty's ever did). And once those episodes come out, I'll try to watch them (though I'm only keeping the sound up for Misty's scenes, since her voice was awesome there based on the Kasumi edition of that Pichu Bros. short on Pokémon Channel.). As far as how long it is, we know it's going to be at least two episodes. Personally, I suspect from just how they teased it that she and Brock are going to be around for a LOT longer than just two episodes (none of the other times a character got a cameo did they even remotely tease it to the degree that they did it here, not even when Misty returned nearing the beginning of Battle Frontier, and that was pretty close to the game's 10th anniversary like it was the 20th anniversary for the anime here.). Heck, this whole thing may be potentially even bigger than when Charizard permanently returned to Ash's party back in Best Wishes (an accomplishment in itself).

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Eh, suit yourself. Me personally, I'll even take S/M designs for Misty if it at least ensures she get back to doing her goal of Water Pokémon Master instead of being shoved back into Cerulean Gym again.

Your answer reminds me of a video I watched where someone asked a question about what they'd prefer more: Amourshipping as canon or Sun and Moon to return to the X/Y animation/art style and they chose Amourshipping. Basically they don't mind the art style or animation so long as a result they like comes to fruition.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Oh...my...gosh I never seriously thought Misty and Brock would appear in the series again, especially since they weren't in the I Choose You movie. Very cool! Just wish their designs were better, especially Brock. Love that they have their original outfits on too, wonder if Ash will have his on at all while in Kanto. Can't wait to see what happens.

Years
  • Oh...my...gosh I never seriously thought Misty and Brock would appear in the series again, especially since they weren't in the I Choose You movie. Very cool! Just wish their designs were better, especially Brock. Love that they have their original outfits on too, wonder if Ash will have his on at all while in Kanto. Can't wait to see what happens.

No, the CoroCoro scan still shows Ash will be in his Alola outfit. He only changes main outfit when a new generation comes, as has been the norm since Advanced Generation.

I'm with you. While I am happy that Sun & Moon pulled off a huge surprise like this, it's not going to be enough to salvage my disdain of this series. The crappy art style, school plot and forced comedy are showing that this saga is doing something I don't like - trying to be something that it's not.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Your answer reminds me of a video I watched where someone asked a question about what they'd prefer more: Amourshipping as canon or Sun and Moon to return to the X/Y animation/art style and they chose Amourshipping. Basically they don't mind the art style or animation so long as a result they like comes to fruition.

I don't know about whether I mind the art style or anything like that (I personally hate it especially regarding how it warped Ash, though that said, it doesn't seem to really hamper Misty all that much surprisingly), just that I'm willing to tolerate it on her so long as she gets back to her goal.

Oh...my...gosh I never seriously thought Misty and Brock would appear in the series again, especially since they weren't in the I Choose You movie. Very cool! Just wish their designs were better, especially Brock. Love that they have their original outfits on too, wonder if Ash will have his on at all while in Kanto. Can't wait to see what happens.

Nope, we aren't going to expect an outfit change until Gen VIII, and even there, certainly not back to his Kanto outfit.

I'm with you. While I am happy that Sun & Moon pulled off a huge surprise like this, it's not going to be enough to salvage my disdain of this series. The crappy art style, school plot and forced comedy are showing that this saga is doing something I don't like - trying to be something that it's not.

I agree that the art style is bad (and beyond bringing Misty and to a lesser extent Brock back, probably the only thing that would actually redeem this series is actually getting Ash back into gyms), but I'm also smart enough to know they're not going to change that any time soon (we're probably going to need to wait until Gen VIII before we even get Ash's goal back, let alone any chance at the old animation returning), so I'll take what I can get, and like I said, as long as Misty's able to actually pursue her dream of becoming a Water Pokémon Master again, whether she leaves the cast again or permanently returns to the main cast, certainly not being forced back into Cerulean Gym either way, I could care less if she's got a bad art style (besides, for being subject to that horrific art style, she surprisingly doesn't look half bad especially compared to Ash. Sure, her SM design can't hold a candle to her original design any day of the week, but still...).

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Even though I know many are happy with this "return" of Misty and Brock, and in their Original Series outfits, I'm not at all impressed with the way they were rendered in order to fit in the Sun/Moon series art style.

You must really have to find excuses to not return to the anime, do you?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    No, the CoroCoro scan still shows Ash will be in his Alola outfit. He only changes main outfit when a new generation comes, as has been the norm since Advanced Generation.
    Well yes I see that and I know it's very likely his Sun and Moon outfit is staying until the end of the series, but he could still put it on at some point while he's at home or show it in his closet at home or something as a fanservice since Brock and Misty are in their original outfits. It's not like he's had the same outfit on in every scene during Sun and Moon.

I am curious to see how the dub handles their guest appearance, like how many references are made to past events between the three and whether they still have Brock becoming a doctor and Misty leading the gym or if they give one or both of them something new.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Yeah, her eyes are the main problem with her Sun and Moon design, otherwise it's not that different. I don't like how Brock's Sun and Moon design just looks lazy.

Other things I'm curious about: Will Team Rocket be following Ash into Kanto (they could have it that they're meeting with Giovanni) and how will Disney XD promote their episodes when they get to them in the dub? Will they play up Brock and Misty returning? I'm assuming we'll see Oak, wonder if we'll see Tracey. I'll figure no for Gary.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • To be fair we haven't seen her animated yet.

I've stated before that SM art style can easily make characters look cool by slightly drawing the characters off model. Ash looks great (cool even) when he's battling, and dorky when it comes to comedy segments.

Some close up's might show just how adorable this new Misty design could be.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Come to think of it, I'm wondering if Misty and Brock's return has anything to do with that poll that was released around the time Movie 20 was due for release?

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9644232&postcount=99

Well, either way, based on the amount of teasing their return has gotten, ESPECIALLY compared to prior character returns (the whole thing being announced via Televi-Kun of all places in a blatant manner, Mayumi Iizkuka's tweet, Junichi Masuada's tweet in reply to Iizkuka, two teaser images, Misty's gachapon prize and the other girls appearing mid-September around the same date as her reappearance, maybe also the whole Team Rocket radio thing and Misty being listed as a favorite and one of the answers jokingly stating that Ash went to Alola to pursue Misty if we go that far), I'm pretty sure Misty and Brock's reappearances are going to be far bigger than standard character return cameos, certainly they're probably going to stay longer than the usual amount of time (if it were like prior cameos, we probably would only find out via TVGuide schedulings at most, like we did with Misty's return in AG, May's return in DP, and probably Dawn's return in BW.). May even be a permanent return if we're lucky. That being said, we should not rule out the possibility of this just being temporary, so we're going to do a bit of an episode count of how many episodes they are in back to back, and once they reach a certain number, they're most likely staying for good. And the number won't be based on just any number, they're based on prior lengths that former leads spent with the main cast. I'll choose... five consecutive episodes, six tops. None of the other girls got that far (Even Misty, the closest any former leads got to ever getting five episodes since they started fully swapping out characters at the end of Johto, only had two in AG, and two episodes [maybe two and a half if we count her brief cameo during the Hoenn league] and part of the final episode in Battle Frontier). If five consecutive episodes come and go, and Misty and Brock are still on the team by the next episode, fully on the team I should say, we can safely say that they're probably there for keeps.

EDIT: Better add in yet another teaser as well, this time for Maasaki Iwane's twitter post: https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/902496795359510528 Also, adding Junichi Masuada's twitter post since I realized I forgot to do that: https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/902464841494831104

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Another teaser image from Japanese Pokemon Twitter Page:

DIYr6RcVoAEkJRC.jpg

Back