• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Game Informer withdraws news about number of Gyms in Sword and Shield

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Well, let's face it though, 18 gyms sounds too good to be true. What seems to be the unsolved mystery is the involvement with the major/minor leagues.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    N O

I mean, I was prepared for that, cause that's a lot in one game, BUT I HOPED...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Article updated further, given this quote on the official website...
    The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling! Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join in.

Game Informer sure screwed up here and come out looking crap to me.

>putting exclusive game info behind their paywalled magazine
    >info is wrong
    >they admit the info is wrong in their 3 hour long podcast video

=|

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The actual number of Gyms you can challenge is probably not 18. The reference to major and minor leagues appears to be game lore, rather than reflected in the game itself. As it stands, Milo (Grass) and Nessa (Water) are confirmed for both games, while Bea (Fighting) is Sword exclusive, while Allister (Ghost) is Shield exclusive.

Each game might have their own gym-leader exclusively. It just like you cant evolve farfetch in shield and much like separate versions have their list of exlusive mons. Well thats one way to oof it

Years
  • And here I was thinking that GameFreak had actually added something which could have (somewhat) excused the long, long, long list of disappointments that have plagued SwSh since its reveal. I wasn't expecting anything, and yet I am still left disappointed.

pkmin3033

Messing things up seems to be the theme of these games!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally, I'm not disappointed by that, but still, I was surprised twice. Granted, the statement of Galar region supposedly having 18 Gyms seems to be out of the blue for us, and so does the correction from The Pokémon Company afterwards. Maybe the news reporters there are too hyped about Major and Minor League thing that they posted it out of enthusiasm?

I guess that's another reason why it's important to "Hype Responsibly", even in press media.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • sigh So, this is disappointing. Never mind, we were never supposed to have those 18 gyms. So, goodbye dark type gym, see you later.
    But, it is to be noted that we got some positive news, like the autosave and the no HMs thing. Still, let's hope for the best. A bunch of poketubers, like Ruffledrowlit, Poketips, Tyranitartube, aDrive even made videos out of the news and looked very excited. At this stage, i think game freak may not reveal much, with the Glimwood tangle footage and one more trailer being all that will be shown.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Is it weird that I saw that coming? I mean, I hear the news, I knew it was gonna be some gyms being version exclusive and there will be like 12 or 14 gyms altogether or summing

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Personally, I'm not disappointed by that, but still, I was surprised twice. Granted, the statement of Galar region supposedly having 18 Gyms seems to be out of the blue for us, and so does the correction from The Pokémon Company afterwards. Maybe the news reporters there are too hyped about Major and Minor League thing that they posted it out of enthusiasm?

I guess that's another reason why it's important to "Hype Responsibly", even in press media.

Yeah! This definitely seems like a case of that news outlet also being too excited.

Definitely has it's cons.

Years
  • Article updated further, given this quote on the official website...

Game Informer sure screwed up here and come out looking crap to me.

>putting exclusive game info behind their paywalled magazine
    >info is wrong
    >they admit the info is wrong in their 3 hour long podcast video

=|

They're owned by GameStop, so should we really be surprised given the crap they've pulled over the years?

Back