• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2015
    quilava

hello, i was wondering what kinds of drugs (zinc, calcium, etc) from the veilstone department store i could use for my quilava.

he is lvl 39 and his stats are:
    attack - 65
    defense - 58
    sp atk - 71
    sp def - 50
    speed - 90

Years
  • Cyndaquil's evolution line mainly specializes in Sp. Atk and Speed so those are the stats you'll mainly want to invest in. Guess that means you'll need a ton of Carbos and Calcium here.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I haven't played Platinum in a long time, but I would suggest training Gabite in an area close to Pastoria city. Perhaps Routes 212 or 213. I'd assume they'd have the strongest wild Pokemon at that point in the game.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Remember there's always the Vs. Seeker if you need to desperately train, given the trainers do give decent experience. The one big one to note is the one Pokemon Breeder on Route 210 with the Happiny.

Years
  • Routes around Pastoria city won't help you much since they are full of pretty weak basic Pokemon aside from Staravia who is immune to Ground moves.

If you have time and dont mind grinding. Just find a spot where you lose HP and PP at the slowest pace and grind (you can look for nearby routes to see which one suites you the best). If not, use Vs. Seeker as Hikamaru suggested, it is extremely useful and not only do you get exp, but also money. Good luck!

HawksFan97

I'm Still Alive!
    Years
  • so another question (this one involves walking with my riolu)

if i walk my riolu 256 to have +1 friendship (say im on cycling road), will it have +1 every 256 steps?

my main thing here is: if someone could explain how walking friendships work, that'd be great

Bd9

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2018
    Need a last team member on Platinum?

Hey, so I'm done with the distortion world in Platinum and am wanting a last team member. So far I have Torterra, Magmortar, Gastrodon, Crobat, Alakazam, and Luxray. I don't really like Luxray and I used him in my last game on Platinum so I want to try something new. I'd want something that can handle stuff like Gyrados and Milotic, but I could use a dark or ghost type because all I have is Golbat that's decently affective towards Psychic Pokemon with shadow ball, but I want something that can use fighting moves because dark types I can't do anything super effective against. So I don't know what to replace Luxray with. I'm thinking about Absol but I don't know. Also where do you find Thunderbolt? Anyways leave suggestions in the replies

Years
  • so another question (this one involves walking with my riolu)

if i walk my riolu 256 to have +1 friendship (say im on cycling road), will it have +1 every 256 steps?

my main thing here is: if someone could explain how walking friendships work, that'd be great

Ah yeah. For my Soulsilver run, I wanted to have a ready team from the start, so I had my cousin transfer some eggs on the very beginning. Growlithe, Dratini and Eevee. I wanted Eevee to evolve into Umbreon so I did the same thing you want to do.

All caught or hatched Pokemon start at friendship level of 70. So if you leveled your Pokemon or lost some battles consider it to have 70, +/- 15 points.
    I'd order to evolve, it needs to have a value of 220 or higher. There are several places where you can check if you're getting close to it ( http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Friendship ) (look where it says location, somewhere after the middle of the page).

Now the math. Say your Riolu has a value of 70. It probably has somewhere around 70. To reach 220 you need to add 150. Multiply it with number of footsteps you need to make for only one point, thats 150 * 256, thats 38400. So you need to make a total of 38,400 steps, then you can evolve it. Once you're sure you passed the needed amount of steps/friendship value, go battle and level your Riolu up.

Soulsilver: I was in the first town/village, so I counted how many footsteps were in one circle around the town, and figured out how many I needed to do to reach the needed number. At some point I lose the count so I'd just walk around while watching TV or whatever.

Platinum: When I left some of my Pokemon in the day care, and wanted to evolve it fast; there is a place in Sinnoh, Fuego Ironworks, and if you stick the buttons correctly, on the right place in the room, you can make the character run automatically, without actually touching the console. It requires some messing around but its worth it. Shiny Beldum was just one of the many Pokemon I leveled to 100 using this method. Keep in mind though, to:
    1. Have your Nintendo charged all the time while doing this.
    2. Your Pokemon wont gain any EVs while being leveld up this way. But you can deal with this in different ways, e.g. deal with the EVs for the first 20-30 levels, then put it in day care. There is a limit for EVs anyway.

tldr: Just walk around and make 38,400 footsteps, or make it 40,000 to be sure, and make sure it doesnt faint in the process, eat herbs and other stuff that will lower the friendship value.
    Peace!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I agree that Lucario is probably your strongest choice when i first think about it. Handles two of your criteria and honestly your Torterra could probably handle Milotic and a combination of Alakazam and Crobat could wipe out Gyarados. Thats just my first thoughts when looking at this team.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gallade gets Leaf Blade, Stone Edge, Close Combat and Swords Dance. Also Pyscho Cut. Can wreck many types - takes a little while to get it to its deadliest, but by gym 7 it was so effective I had to box it away to train the rest of my team

HawksFan97

I'm Still Alive!
    Years
  • Hello again.

so im training my Gallade in Platinum. it has the following moveset:

Level 27

Aerial Ace
    Sword's Dance
    Drain Punch
    Slash

I know it learns Psycho Cut at level 31 which i am teaching it. I am wanting to know what other moves i should have it teached

I am also curious if anyone has any tips for Gallade as well

Thanks

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back