• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A challenge of sorts.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    There isn't a question in this thread, but a challenge of sort.

I've noticed a lot of people (including myself) type posts a lot differently than how they really speak. Using words they don't normally use everyday for one reason or another, making themselves much more professional sounding, and things like that. So, I'm going to ask you to try your best to reply to this using the way you talk offline as inspiration. Ums, silent pauses for thinking (...'s), and everything included! Try to make it as accurately as possible! If you say or think um for a few more seconds than normal, draw out the um to ummmm or something like that. I don't know...

The best thing I can think of for this is the hardest thing I have to experience, which is something I think will really be able to draw out the imperfections with how we'd respond. "Tell me about yourself."

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I think that I type sort of similar to the way I speak. I mean, just add about a thousand more ums, ands, and likes in there and you pretty much have it. I don't think that the vocab I use is anymore 'professional' when I speak. Maybe just cause it's typed out it seems more concise.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hay, mah namez Sideeyan an I'm frum Aluhbama. I'mma type the way I tahlk mosta the time. Ummm... yeah, it's kinda hard cuz I don't really know how to type suthurn, cept by spellin errything wrong. So um yeah. .........................................................I like cats? ...I'm legit just like... -watches tv- sayin stuff out loud and then typin it down. (thinking: i really like this show but it's distractin me from the thread). ...Yeah I'mma just go and...do Syd stuff. Bye.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Um, well, okay then. I gueeeesss you could say the I am pretty funny, but not always...uuuuuuusually, my jokes fall flat or people just look at me funny. Um, I do typically laugh at a lot of different jokes, so that's prrrrobably the type of sense of humor I have. One that makes me laugh more at other stuff than makes other people laugh at me. Hehe.

I am pretty laid back, I guess. I mean, like, I won't get my feelings hurt too much by anything you, like, could do to me. You could, like, punch me in the face, and instead of "WTF" I would be all "Huh, what was the for? Or your mad at me? That's cool I guess"

When it comes to music I am pretty enthusiastic about Foster the People. Like, as in, if I saw them I would be all "OMG LOOK IT'S FOSTER THE PEOPLE LET'S GO SAY HI RIGHT NOW" Other than them, I like a lot of various songs. Like, if you looked at my mp3 player, it would have some Foster the People, some video game music, some Gotan Project, etc etc etc.

(Um, that's all I got for now. XD And just so you know, any acronyms are acronyms I pretty much would really say in real life. Just so you know. XD)

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Straight up dude, a lot more casual than the way I like to speak in posts. Look, I didn't even use tahoma...yeah, um so what I'm doing right now...

Right now I'm chillin' in my chair, sporadically drinking cool water cause my fever's up again, and just can't sleep. Challenge accepted! >:]

Whoops, forgot the basics... um, I'm CJ, and this is coming from Greece.....turning 20 this very october. Ya'll might not care, though......so that's it.

EDIT: Alright, okay...IRL I'm not really pausing between words, I easily find out what to say to others. Not often startled either. I hardly overreact but when I'm in a happy mood I often go louder like HELLO WOOOORLD...I also use gestures when I'm describing things. I enjoy many things so I'm gonna list 'em here or something. My favorite animal's the horse...obviously. That's all folkz

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    <SEE SYDIAN, PIKAPAL, TWILIGHT SKY'S REPLIES FOR WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR>

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    uh... hey guys. I'm tara, and I like to say that I speak the same way offline as I do online (or wait... the other way around... i think), but i'm pretty sure that's a lie. anyways... uhm, when you first meet me i'm usually pretty quiet and i have like... this shell that you have to break through before you get to the real me. if you like... pick a topic that i know about like Tales of Symphonia or something then you're bound to get my to start talking. but like... you have to be careful or else i'll prolly start like... talking your ear off or something like that! uhm... but yeah. i tend to be more of a listener than a speaking i think, because i usually just listen to other peoples' stories and nod my head and stuff whenever they expect to say something. idk i guess i'm a mix between a conversationalist and none one, because like... i can't stand quietness whenever i'm with a friend but i suck at trying to think of a topic to say.... and uhm... i think that's it. i think i might write more for this later, but yeah... that's me!

oh! but yeah. i actually do squee, and go omg, and like... all sorts of things and i think sometimes when i do it my sister wants to smack me with something! but yeah... that's it i guess.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    uhhh my name is Christoophar and I like, don't know what to say about myself I never do this....... well like I'm a nice guy and totally....uh, I said nice already.... into stuff? I dont know I can't be very speceefic about this...oh wait, I can -smirk- Please forgeeve me hah
    ..sorry, I was thinking about what to say....
    Yeah..sooo... what about you?

Ayselipera

UM HELLO LOLOLOLOLOL I actually thought of that in a yelling voice SO THE CAPS TOTALLY FIT THERE. Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ummmmmmmm okay honestly i have nothing to say. My name is Mallory I own a cat I love tea and novelty items have a wonderful day bye.

Hopefully by doing this my personality shines out in a million rays that all hit your wonderful faces and warms your hearts xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox that was also done on the spot which is why it doesn't flow at all with what i just said last, also as you can see I don't really pause much when I talk in real life I just let my thoughts run out like a constant stream it's pretty super and awesome try it.

HOLD UP ACTUALLY when I talk on the phone there is lots of pauses so before anyone contradicts what I just said that's because I can't get the feel for anything on the phone so I pause to make sure I'm being heard allllllllllllllllllllllrightttttttt.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I actually do speak the same way I type. "..."s and all. I'm not just lying either. I've always typed how I speak, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. My font choice is also influential. I do have a southern drawl ya know. This oh-so-loathed font is the most effective way to convey it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Well, uhh...hi guys. *waves* I'm Megan and.....uh...well, I'm college student and I own two kitties. I'm a college student getting ready to graduate & stuff...and I'm sorta becoming a morning person mahself....because I wake up at 5:30 - 6 every mornin' & stuff. Well, literally I have nothin' else to say, really....because I can be a bit shy at times. Usually I do pause a lot.......................especially when it comes to skype calls and phone calls & stuff. *giggles* well, that is alll for meh. heehehehee.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Hehe I pretty much type the way I speak and think because I'm really quite hyper when I get talkin most of the time. Like especially when I'm walkin I get a lot more talkative and often forget what I'm sayin or go on a totally different track. Really the only thing I do different when typin is put words in the right places cause sometimes I say things out of order and confuse myself. Oh and I put in like "haha" oh "hehe" or "heh" or "lol" to substitute for my normal giggle or noise of comprehension or whatev. And yes I actually do say things like "whatev" and "totes" offline because that's how I shorten it in my head and it just comes out that way. Um for postin really long stuff I also tend to actually separate it out into categories or coherent paragraphs and things but that's none too hard and it doesn't change stuff because I usually just do that as I type anyhow cause that's how my brain works or somethin.

I feel like I'm talkin too much again but really this is kinda how I get when I walk with people, just talkin nonstop. Lookin back on it I have no idea how I breathe on those occasions. Like at all. Oh but I suppose online I can't put in gestures or facial expressions and that's what smilies and whatnot are for. I dunno it's like online talkin and offline talkin are very similar yet totally different and once you claim one thing then you think of a ton of examples of how it's not that.

OKAY I'm done haha.

/breathes

Last edited:
    Years

(^ That's exactly what I would say in real life XD. In conversations with more than a few people (especially around friends' friends that I don't know well) I generally let everybody else do the talking and keep rather quiet. I speak a lot more when there's just two or three people.

But assuming I was actually speaking:)

Hey my name's ----. I'm just finishing my first year of uni now, pretty much_ well I actually took a gap year. Ummmmm, or a gap semester, rather. Um... yeah...... obviously this doesn't sound really.. that authentic because I'm put on the spot so it's really awkward but, umm... yeah. I've actually recorded this into a microphone on my computer and_ so I could type it back as opposed.. just to actually get it right. But that honestly didn't work very well because... ummmm, as you can see I'm just talking nonsense. See!? I never say the word 'nonsense' in real life for, yeah.. so umm... yeah.. finishing, well should be finishing first year uni; I'm a musician, I play in a.. umm.... I play in two bands. One that's... a very Hendrix-y, psychedelic Tame Impala sort of band, and the other which is aaaa... indie slash dance band. So um.. yeah. That's me. Oh yeah, I'm from Australia.

While listening to the recording of that back I slowed it down heaps and I sounded like a massive downer. But yeah, I never say ummm that much in real life, so I don't think this is really an accurate response.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Aha.. well;.. what can I say? I'm Italian so it'll be pretty hard to show you guys how I actually talk what with all the hand gestures and all! *makes hand gesture* And I was actually showing Gavin the other day this hand gesture we have and it's like.. sorta like a "rock on" symbol but not..
    Eh.. well it means "Your wife's been sleeping around" so don't, DON'T do that if you're in Italy because it's like flipping someone off and NOT good.

But really.. what I'm trying to say is that I have a lot of inflection and character in my voice most of the time.. unless I'm tired. Yeah when I'm tired I'm pretty droney- not gonna lie. But.. *shifts around* I actually think it's kind of hard for me to show you all what I'm like when I talk. Because I really actually try to do that most of the time that I'm here and because it's not filled with like.. 500 million emoticons and noseless smilies I think it's actually harder for me to come across as being sweet.

Um. And the hand motions.. but I'm pretty much exaggerating about that; I don't really do it when I talk except for when I get intense about something.. and then I go from being kinda sweet and mellow to sounding like a motorboat without taking a breath.. Ahaha.. Well I think I'm exaggerating again but yeah.. you get it. At least I think- er.. hope.. uh.. guess that you get it..

Yeah.

I dunno I think I like to come across as being pretty uh.. damn I had the word and I just forgot it.. but like.. playful when I talk. But not on forums as much.. because of all the double-dots that are kinda like ellipses that I put. I think of circles when I say ellipses but I really mean you know the three dots sorta thing.

Anyways this is probably not helpful at all. I probably sound exactly the same to you. DEAL WITH IT. Aha.. nah but hopefully you get it. I am not a mega bubbly person.. but I'm also not the stone cold serious rockperson that some people here make me out to be.

.. Eh.. take from this what you will. :3

Years
  • Er.. Hi. Am Hybrid Trainer........ I'm nogoodattalkingaboutmyself soooooo I don't really know what to say....................
    I tend to have reaaaly big gaps and then randomly start talking fast and then mumbling and stuff... but like erm.. I'm not always like that. I do t-t-tend to have rare occasions where I talk normally but then usually like a stutter or something pops up and ruins the whole thing.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    [situation: there is a person who is not me typing what i say as i respond to the thread's question.]

Welllllllllllllll they call me Banana. I'm 5. (sleepy chuckle) 5 as in height. (sleepy chuckle) (sings:) Summa Breeze!! Makes me feel fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. (end sing) forever in my head. I'm in a really cozy bed and I never want to leave ever in my life. (phone vibration) bllllugh why is everyone in the world (trails off)

(subject changes to tattooed skin peeling)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Um, hi! Er, my name is Jonathan, but you can call me Mr Cat Dog... if you want to that is. I, um, live in London (which is very nice and I love) and am currently training to be a lawyer so, er, yay me I guess? I like TV and films and stuff, and I also like reviewing them... That's about it, really.

-~-~-~

I tend to type the way I speak, only without the 'ums' and 'ers'. Although I probably use more ellipses in real life than I do on the internet (HEAVEN FORBID!)

Back