• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A&M Review and Recommendation Thread

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • A&M Review and Recommendation thread

Hello, one and all! The purpose that this thread will serve is to compile all the anime/manga/visual novel reviews written by our fellow PC colleagues into one easy-to-find list and, along with it, also serve as a thread where you may engage in activity such as recommending animanga or being recommended stuff to. Thread has the seal of approval of our lovely mod Antemortem. <3

I don't think there's a lot of things to be said over here apart from that so I'll get to the rules!

Rules
    » All general forum-wide PC rules apply.
    » Do not post reviews that are reviews-in-name only. Specifying a specific length would feel like placing an unnecessary restriction on you people so you're free to make a review with whatever you feel is the best word count. But do not post stuff that comprises of, say, a few sentences. Elucidation is the key. Try to be as elaborate as possible.
    » Post your reviews here. You're free to have a link to the original site (wherever you posted your review initially) at the very bottom of your post. But don't ask people to "upvote" your reviews or anything. This isn't some platform for advertising your blog/reviews on anime site/whatever.
    » Since this is a review + recommendation thread, there definitely will be some chaos. But I'll add a link to all the posts which contain reviews in the first post so it'll be easy for you guys to get to them.
    » Try to be specific while trying to ask for recommendation. Do not be vague. Same goes for the person recommending - try to back up your recommendation with valid reasons as to why you're recommending the series in question.

That's it, I guess. The first post will be kept up-to-date by me and Dave (I'm gonna count on you, man :p). Hope this thread is helpful! :D

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • Kill la Kill

Whether or not you possess the capacity to stomach over-the-top dialogues, scenes and atmosphere in a show is a decisive factor when it comes to what you'd ultimately feel about Kill la Kill when you watch it. It is a really fun show for those that can stomach OTT stuff. On the other hand, it is a cringe-worthy ride for those that can't. The first episode starts off with our protagonist, Ryuko Matoi, challenging the Student Council president Kiryuin Satsuki holding a giant blade that is apparently one half of what makes a huge pair of scissors. That, my friend, in itself is enough to give you an idea as to how ridiculous this show is. If ridiculous isn't your cup of tea then you ought to stay away from this series. Oh, and then there's the fact that almost every single episode consists of scantily clad girls fighting it out with each other. If you can't stand some skin, please walk away from this series. Because you will see a lot of skin. Both female and male fanservice is present in this show in spades.

Kill la Kill is brought to you by studio Trigger. The people who brought us Little Witch Academia and Inferno Cop. And these are the same guys who worked on TTGL. With a good number of people who put this on their watch list being aware of it being made by those that made TTGL, they're obviously bound to have a few expectations. The over-the-top atmosphere and the similar art styles the shows share don't help, either. But, ultimately, they're different shows. And thus should be judged differently. That's enough about TTGL, though. Let's get on to the categories I'll cover in this review -

This review will be divided into the following sections:

1. Art & Animation
    2. Soundtrack
    3. Characters
    4. Story

----Art & Animation----
    This show's art style is a far cry from the typical art style most anime these days possess. It is much more cartoon-ish in nature in comparison. But that doesn't mean it is a negative point against the show at all. In fact, the show plays it to its strength by using the potential of a cartoon-ish art style to its fullest – the highly exaggerated scenes, as a result, prove to be far more effective than they'd be under normal circumstances. As a result, the art style is definitely something that fits the show to a 't' and compliments its OTT nature greatly. It is a definite 9/10.

The same, however, cannot be said for the animation. Kill la Kill was made under a tight budget and, as such, there have been plenty of instances in the show where the creators had to cut corners. They try to minimize animation during the non-action scenes and generally put all the budget into the action scenes. As a result, there's an immense amount of variation in the animation quality throughout the series. There are fights like the ones in episode 3 that look brilliant and are very fluid and well choreographed. And then there are scenes where you'd feel like you're looking at a bunch of slides with a few moving parts. The show DOES, however, deserve a pat on the back to actually try and use its limited budget to its fullest – a lot of times they use limited frames in comedy scenes to hilarious effect. In fact, there's a character in this show whose movements almost always comprise of ridiculous paper-like movements that consist of minimal movement in terms of frames. It doesn't look fluid in the least but it somehow fits. You'd understand if you see it for yourself.

That said, since the show doesn't actually possess terrific animation throughout, I'll have to lower its score in this category a bit. It gets a 6.5/10 for its animation.

----Soundtrack----
    I don't really need to speak much when it comes to its sountrack. I'm personally a big fan and I think its OST was downright amazing. Character themes fit and the background OST is almost never off the mark. A definite 10/10 on this front.

----Characters----
    They're all fairly good with a decent amount of backstory – a sufficient amount which is JUST right. The characters that stand out are definitely Ryuko, Satsuki and Mako. Former two are the main characters of the series and rivals. They're always at each other's throats – as if fated to be enemies. These two receive the most screen-time. Ryuko, the MC, faces problems like identity crisis and goes berserk a few times. The story is ~apparently~ supposed to be a coming-of-age story so a teenage girl having a lot of mood-swings and being very impulsive in nature probably doesn't seem out-of-character. But she can be annoying to some due to it anyway. I personally found it really annoying when she had an outburst in episode 19. Mostly because she has had similar outbursts not too long ago. But I digress.

Mako, on the other hand, is more of a comedic side-kick than a main character. She is eccentric and hyperactive. Her gags can be hit or miss for people depending on their perspective. Personally found her and her antics highly enjoyable and a breath of fresh air when compared to contemporary sidekicks. There are two more that I would love to talk about but I shall not because they're integral to the plot and disclosing information about them could be considered a spoiler. Anyway, as far as character development is concerned, it is present, yes. But not *too* much of it. The only character in the series that gets proper development in this series is Ryuko's rival, Kiryuin Satsuki. Ryuko, on the other hand, pales in comparison.

All in all, this series consists of a highly female-oriented cast. The males are present, yeah, but it is the women who possess boobs of steel, strength and ambition to do things their way.

It gets a 7/10 in this category.

----Story----
    A pretty simple set-up. And a very entertaining story. There were a few ups and downs between episodes 7 and 15 but the series has managed to be highly entertaining for the most part. Do not go into it expecting it to be a deep story and you'll probably have a lot of fun. It starts off with a monster of the week format, goes on with it for a few episodes, and then shifts gears. It is only after episode 12 that some revelations come to light and we come to know more about the big shots. And not before episode 15 does the series start having some serious plot progression. Before episode 15 the series did possess a very chaotic pacing as far as events-per-episode are concerned but the rate of overall plot progression was very slow. Which led some fans to say "You haven't TRULY seen Kill la Kill if you haven't seen past episode 15 yet". And I'm inclined to agree with them to a degree. The series does pick up quite a bit after that. Don't expect a ****-ton of character development or earth-shattering revelations , though. It is all pretty predictable. What make the things that take place in these episodes so damn effective is the execution – Trigger does an amazing job at showing off predictable events in an unpredictable fashion. They're masters when it comes to it and it makes the recent episodes look really, really good when compared to the episodes that precede them. It ends on a satisfying note, too. Slightly disappointing if you are expecting things to escalate to infinity and beyond but, like I said, its end is definitely not something you'd consider a bad end. It wraps up things nicely. Of course, there are a few loose ends and things that you'd consider plot-holes but they're mostly minor for the most part and story was never its strength anyway. I'll conclude by saying that it turns out VERY different from how it starts off. You probably won't believe the first and last episodes are parts of the same show if they didn't share characters.

Overall, it gets a 6.5/10 for the story.

----Final Thoughts----
    I think this is definitely a series worth checking out. Do not expect it to be anything – just judge it for what it is rather than for what it could've been or what you wanted it to be. A series with a good art style and creative yet dramatic cuts, amazing soundtrack, a fun cast and just over-the-top action. Definitely check it out if you're into action anime. Or if you are just looking for an over-the-top series that isn't afraid of doing things that are considered very far-fetched or out-of-the-box.

Final rating – 7/10. The rating takes enjoyment into account as well. Although I personally have it listed as a 9/10 on my list because I'm highly biased when it comes to this show. I did try to keep my personal bias away from this review, though. And I hope I was successful in that regard - provide feedback and let me know whether or not that was the case!

This review was originally posted on myanimelist. Can be found here.

Years
  • Similar to Dangan Ronpa?

Hey guys, I recently watched the series Danga Ronpa, based off of the game of the same name and was wondering if there were any anime with similar themes. I liked the battle royal concept and have seen other anime with it, like Btooom! The whole mystery/detective/case thing added a nice twist to the mix. So yeah basically anything you could just recommend would be great!:D

Espeonrules

~Pokemon Fan-Girl~
    Years
  • Oooh, Dangan Ronpa was good. I mean, if you're into the horror/battle royale genres I guess the closest things I can think of are Mirai Nikki and Deadman Wonderland.

Mirai Nikki is about this kid who writes a "diary" of sorts in his phone everyday...then suddenly he meets this god named Deus that forces him to fight twelve other people with "diaries"; the twist is that their diaries have special powers. For example, the main character's diary is able to predict the future.

Deadman Wonderland isn't really a battle royale technically; the main character starts off as a normal kid then suddenly he gets thrown in a special prison for a crime he did not commit. He has to basically survive in this prison and at one point he has to fight the other inmates for show similar to the Colosseum in Ancient Greece. There's some mystery involved in the fact that he has to figure out who really committed the crime and the truth behind the prison.

Hope those are what you're looking for!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Dangan is pretty unique series in terms of anime.
    You can find many battle royals in games but not so many in anime.
    I agree with Espeonrules' suggestions especially Mirai Nikki but you are better of reading manga of Deadman Wonderland (Yea, HanaKana as Shiro is the most precious thing ever but that's my preference xD) because anime doesn't really cover much...
    Other manga that could fit is Liar Game.
    As for anime... in a way Akuma no Riddle is similar.

derozio

Years
  • Danganronpa, hmm. It was a pretty unique series when it comes to premise - not many apart from the ones already mentioned, I suppose.

One thing I'd like to add is that Liar Game doesn't exactly follow the formula that shows like Danganronpa or Akuma no Riddle does - their lives aren't exactly at stake nor are the players killing each other. The only thing that's at stake is money - craploads of it. You fail, you get indebted. And you'll have a debt so big you're better off dead, lol. But honestly, Liar Game is an amazing manga. Its intellectual matches are highly amusing and are a far cry from series where they actually try too hard to seem intellectual - the matches feel highly intellectual organically. Because of the fact that the mangaka actually does devote a good amount of time thinking about the game in question. As a result, the output = a great experience.

Not exactly a battle royale like Danganronpa, yes, but Liar Game is a title I'd highly recommend. Unfortunately doesn't have an anime, but it is a manga that shouldn't be missed.

Talking of intellectual mind games, another series worth mentioning is Kaiji. Full of psychological warfare and involves money similar to Liar Game. This one does have 2 seasons of animated content and it is an absolute blast - go watch it if you can! The art is difficult to get used to at first due to its unique appearance but you'll find yourself liking it after a bit if you give it a chance. Personally, I'd rank it among the top 5 anime I've ever watched. :3 That's all from my side, I guess. Hope I could be of help!

Will write a review or two soon. You guys, I've seen some of you write reviews. Why not post them here? Come on, people - get off your lazy asses and make this thing moar active. or i'll come haunt you in your dreams tonight booo

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • Needing suggestions for what I should watch next!

Hey fellow members of PC.
    I've not been an anime fan for very long at all, but I have watched alot of anime, and I've now run out of things to watch.
    If anyone can suggest any anime for me to watch, that would be fab (: I'll be posting below, a list of anime I have seen already so read through and suggest any that I may like, judging by what's on the list.

Spoiler:

and one other thing, it has to be available in English Dub. I find it hard to follow along with what's happening, and read the subtitles at the same time so I prefer anime in English Dub.
    Thank you (:

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I'm surprised Evangelion isn't on your list considering you watched Death Note, FMA and Haruhi. You seem to like shows geared toward SoL, and Eva has enough of that element to keep you entertained.

I haven't been in this for very long either, but every anime fan I know in real life has an opinion on Evangelion. Watch it to the end, whether you love or hate it because you're absolutely going to hear people talking about it. And if you liked that, check out End of Evangelion and the Rebuilds if you want. The manga is good, too.

The Eva dub is hit-or-miss but it's tolerable at worst. I watched subbed but that's me.

And if you really love dubs (I don't though), watch Cowboy Bebop, seen as one of the best dubs and shows ever.

Sorry for recommending older stuff, but if you want contemporary anime you should watch Steins;Gate.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • I can only find Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I shall give that a try (it's the same thing right?)
    I don't have a specific type of anime I like. I usually just go on other people's suggestions. But if I had to pick a type of anime I do like, it would have to be anime that are like Fairy Tail. Hilarious characters, great storylines, alot of serious action, with sad parts and comical parts to sweeten it up a bit.

I shall give those anime's a try. Thank you very much for your suggestions ^_^

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • If you go on MyAnimeList and put in what you have already seen, You can get suggestions "If you like "this" then you might like "this""

Code Geass,
    Black Cat,
    Black Lagoon,
    Guilty Crown,
    Devil Survivor 2 The Animation,
    Chrome Shelled Regios.

They're all good animes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Give Yu Yu Hakusho a shot. The dub is awesome except for 1 character.
    Try Cowboy Bebop, it's rather short but a cult classic.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • If you happen to like high fantasy-themed shounen anime with a fair amount between strong male shounen protagonist characters and kickass, well-rounded female character, I'd recommend Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. The Japanese cast is mostly all-stars seiyuu (take Ono Daisuke, Sakurai Takahiro, Tomatsu Haruka, Hanazawa Kana and Nakamura Yuuichi for example) and the English dub is definitely not bad either.

If you have gone through at least half of the manga chapters, go read on its spin-off, The Adventures of Sinbad/Sinbad no Bouken. The story takes place before the main storyline, so it serves as a prequel, but with a different protagonist within the same universe.

I gotta say, the author totally does her research really well during creating this series. Go read/watch. It's... awesome. Really. If there's any of you who had watched/read it, I'd like to see your reviews.

For short, I'd give it 8.5 out of 10.

Strom Thunder

The Apocalypse :D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2014
    I am an anime geek and looking for some Anime. Anohana, Naruto, FMA, FMA Brotherhood, Another, Kaiji, Death Note, Code geass were my top favorites. I am searching for many kind of anime... Hope you guys can help me out on it.

I Need Some sad kind of anime - Well I love anime that touches the heart. Like Grave of fireflies ! It touched my heart and made me cry for days !

I love Action anime too !- Anime with superbly well action like DBZ, Naruto etc are in my favorite list toO! So searching for this anime too

I hope I can get a good reply ! I really need the kind of anime I wrote above ! I appericiate the help

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I am an anime geek and looking for some Anime. Anohana, Naruto, FMA, FMA Brotherhood, Another, Kaiji, Death Note, Code geass were my top favorites. I am searching for many kind of anime... Hope you guys can help me out on it.

I Need Some sad kind of anime - Well I love anime that touches the heart. Like Grave of fireflies ! It touched my heart and made me cry for days !

I love Action anime too !- Anime with superbly well action like DBZ, Naruto etc are in my favorite list toO! So searching for this anime too

I hope I can get a good reply ! I really need the kind of anime I wrote above ! I appericiate the help
    Clannad, Clannad and Clannad.
    You have seen AnoHana and like touching anime but not Clannad?
    Correct it, right now :D

derozio

Years
  • Katanagatari

Episodes - 12
    Genre(s) Action, Adventure, Historical, Martial Arts
    Duration: 50 Minutes per Episode

Plot synopsis can be found here.

I expected it to take me on an entertaining ride. On an action-packed, fun-filled journey with romantic elements between the leads acting as spice to further enhance the flavor of the story. Would it be correct to say that it succeeded in proving itself worth my time? That it satiated my expectations?

Yes, it did. It did that and much more. Oh so much more. Some elucidation is in order, yes? Elucidate I shall -

Katanagatari is a story about swords. Contrary to what most people would think by reading the synopsis or watching the pilot episode, this isn't a journey about collection of the swords but rather the focal point of the story is our main lead – a sword – Yasuri Shichika. It is his journey – a journey which shapes him; which showcases his metamorphosis from a sword devoid of emotions and feelings acting on the mercy of their master to an individual, a human being, capable of inhabiting emotions and expressing his feelings as a person.

It would've failed as a story if it didn't possess a likeable cast. For a character-centered story to work, it is very important to make the character in question likeable. Which this anime manages to do quite well. He may seem like a caricature – a cardboard cut-out and a character as bland as he can be; in the beginning, at least. But the story intends for that to be the case. He is a sword, after all, and not a human being. Over the course of the story, he develops into a character. And the development feels organic and not very out of place. Togame, the other main character in this story, is the loud-mouthed female lead. She may seem like any regular protagonist or love interest that you'd find in any generic anime but that's not really the case considering the fact that her character possesses layers – layers that only become visible over time. And which add up to make her a suitably complex character. The majority of the cast, other than these two, are secondary and episodic characters in nature. Needless to say, they don't get to develop as characters as much as our main lead does – but that is irrelevant in the end because they merely serve as a means to further enhance the development of our lead. Their strong characterization and distinct persona help them build a strong first impression, no matter how insignificant they may be, and, as a result, they end up being memorable to a degree despite the minuscule screen-time some of them may get.

A story possessing likeable leads and sufficiently distinct secondary characters won't mean much if the story itself didn't pack a punch – which, thankfully, isn't the case here. The overall story of Katanagatari is pretty strong. It packs in quite a bit of content in its 12 episode run, partially owing to its unique episode length, and it deals with themes like revenge, cursed fate and asks you questions about what it means to possess resolve, what is the reason behind people engaging in the act of war, what it means to follow your true objective – how you may have to discard all of your objectives to succeed in fulfilling your one true objective; all the while making commentary on things like correct and altered history – stuff that ties into the overarching story. Also, do not be fooled by its colorful visuals – it is a story possessing plenty of dark stuff. A good deal of the content on showcase here can be taken to attribute the show to possess nihilistic views. Some may argue against it and consider this story, at its core, a celebration of life itself but that's a subjective view which may vary from person to person. Regardless, content-wise it delivers.

But a good story with shoddy execution ultimately ends up as nothing but a messy bundle of plot-threads. As a result, the question is – does the execution front fail? Nope.

The story is told in an episodic fashion. And each episode consists of the characters engaging in conversations which eat up a majority of the episode length. This may be an action anime but all of the action in the show merely crops up for about 5 minutes per episode at the very end. This would spell disaster for most shows. It works here because the dialogue has been given a lot of attention – none of it is irrelevant or inconsequential. It may serve to fill the viewer in on the personality or motivations of a specific character at one instance or may act as a means to foreshadow future events in a subtle manner. As a result, you won't even notice that you'd watched an anime with 90% dialogue and 10% action well after you've finished it. That's what happened with me. THAT is how well done it is. Due to that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this show even to people who prefer action over talks – the same cannot be said of similar shows like Bakemonogatari and the like (other creations by the same author, Nisio Isin). But that's enough of a digression.

With story and characters out of the way, it is time to discuss the presentation and the production values of the show. The only word that comes to my mind when I think about the visuals in this show is – gorgeous. The art style is definitely unique and may not be everybody's cup of tea but it fits the story very well. Highly detailed vistas and intricately designed backgrounds are to be found aplenty in this anime. The character designs are highly distinct and they all stand out a lot from the generic characters that you'd normally see in any anime. Their designs reflect their personality perfectly – as a result, just their mere appearance can tell you a lot about the kind of character that they are. A good move on the part of the production team considering the fact that most of the characters in question are episodic in nature, and, as a result, do not get significant screen time over the course of the story. Adding shades to their personality via colorful characterization is something this anime does really well as has been mentioned multiple times during the course of this review.

Soundtrack is another aspect of this show where they hit the nail right on the head. They've nailed it – the anime boasts a good number of memorable soundtracks and they've been used exquisitely to further enhance the atmosphere of any scene in the anime. If it weren't for the excellent soundtrack, this anime would've lost a great deal of its atmosphere and its charm.

All in all, Katanagatari is well worth your time. It deserves multiple watches, in fact, since some details may slip by your eye during the first watch (as it did in my case). A nicely written story possessing likeable characters, gorgeous visuals and an amazing soundtrack – all in all, it is a fantastic package that should satiate your hunger for a well-crafted fantasy tale for some time and may even end up as one of your favorites. Like it very well did in my case.

Review written for my site. Can be found here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Anyone know of any good action adventure comedy anime? Preferably short, around 25 episodes or less (60 something is my absolute limit). I've watched series like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Fooly Cooly, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and more.
    I'm not crazy about mecha anime and I really am not into slice of life high school girl anime or those fan service "ecchi" anime. Oh and absolutely no horror lol. It can have demons and ghosts and such but it needs to be less scary about it like Yu Yu Hakusho or Bleach.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Anyone know of any good action adventure comedy anime? Preferably short, around 25 episodes or less (60 something is my absolute limit). I've watched series like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Fooly Cooly, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and more.
    I'm not crazy about mecha anime and I really am not into slice of life high school girl anime or those fan service "ecchi" anime. Oh and absolutely no horror lol. It can have demons and ghosts and such but it needs to be less scary about it like Yu Yu Hakusho or Bleach.

Trigun sounds like a good fit. It's a space western of sorts (those were pretty popular in Japan in the '90s) that's action-adventure-y and tries to be funny. You'd probably enjoy the ride.

Also, even if you don't like slice of life stuff, Nichijou is a must watch. It's a parody of the slice-of-life genre, basically, and does not take itself seriously at all.

Back